Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I gave up on TAL, when they interviewed "good" republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I think it was shortly after Trump was elected. There were like 4 episodes in the row that were about why someone voted for Trump and how they're definitely not just a racist. I just couldn't stomach any more of that.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

cebrail posted:

I think it was shortly after Trump was elected. There were like 4 episodes in the row that were about why someone voted for Trump and how they're definitely not just a racist. I just couldn't stomach any more of that.

The lion's share of private funding that NPR gets comes from plutocrat tax dodge non-profits that push bootstraps neoliberalism in the guise of charity. They desperately want to return to the good old days when both parties had the exact same economic policies and only argued about the social stuff that doesn't interfere with profits. Not surprised TAL was all in on that mission.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I've given up on Astonishing Legends. I was so excited when I saw how long the episodes were, I thought they were going to be super in depth deep dives. Which they are, I suppose, but it feels like most of the length comes from being really repetitive and somewhat poorly structured, and if they get in touch with someone from the stories then they just stop the series dead to do a very long bad interview.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Gripweed posted:

it feels like most of the length comes from being really repetitive and somewhat poorly structured

That's 90% of podcasts right there

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's a new podcast called "Reset" that I've heard advertised on a few other podcasts so I thought I'd check out the debut.

It's an extended interview with a "biohacker" who keeps saying things like "I think there are other ways to develop medicine outside of FDA-approved studies" and "I don't want to be a 'responsible' biohacker because I think that would mean following the rules of doing studies just for the sake of saying I followed them" and "what is a human life worth anyway?"

I can't tell if the host is a blinkered moron, but I think the answer is yes based on this first episode.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I've given up on Astonishing Legends. I was so excited when I saw how long the episodes were, I thought they were going to be super in depth deep dives. Which they are, I suppose, but it feels like most of the length comes from being really repetitive and somewhat poorly structured, and if they get in touch with someone from the stories then they just stop the series dead to do a very long bad interview.

I tried listening to an episode and it took like 25-30 minutes to get to the actual interview (or felt like it), and the little I listened to after was just repetitive so I don't think I'll listen. LPotL is usually long but they also usually jump right in to the story.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I have actually just started on Astonishing Legends based on an earlier recommendation ITT (only reached the first part of their Amelia Earhart double) and I actually am really enjoying it. But this is from 5 years ago - I know podcasts can lose their way. I used to listen to and really enjoy Those Conspiracy Guys a lot but it completely went to the dogs and is unlisten-able now.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I still like Astonishing Legends especially now that they've started going into the field. But a lot of their episodes can be relegated to white noise, they tend to run in circles and they plod quite a bit when they want to discuss certain points. The podcast gets interesting when the subject ties into their industry jobs. The 50 part series on the Bigfoot tape was pretty boring but it did get interesting when they discussed the particulars of film making and how the physical tape the original movie was recorded on affected the prints of subsequent copies. That's some nitty gritty knowledge you only get after decades of experience.

But Scott and Forest are my podcast friends and I'm proud of then :unsmith: They are pedantic sure, but they're still listenable.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I think a lot of folks want a podcast that simultaneously offers a comprehensive, "just the facts" deep dive into Fortean / High Strangeness topics without the hosts either falling into credulous true believer territory or killjoy dismissive skepticism.

But that really doesn't exist and, I'm honestly not sure such a thing is really possible given that podcasts tend to be passion projects that folks hope to someday monetize. The only folks who are going to be willing to put in the dozens if not hundreds of hours of research for a comprehensive dive into these topics are either going to be believers who want to "get to the bottom of it" or skeptics who are looking to debunk.

I prefer the believer trying to accurately present the received narrative of the event format to debunkers trying to explain what really happened, though I do enjoy a good debunkers takedown of bullshit like Ed Walters or Dulce Base.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^Good post.
You could have a conversation between a true believer who knows an astonishingly lot and a skeptic. Except the skeptic allows for room for it "maybe to be true!!" and poses mysterious questions. Hm... Art Bell??? : p

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Slightly different version is that people who can serve up good analysis must be good at analysis, and those folks aren't going to believe in the paranormal, at least not for very long. If you want somebody to throw a party for you in the middle of the road, the believers will be off-putting for a reason, and the nonbelievers will be off-putting for a reason. If there was INCREDIBLE demand/profitability for such a party, the Malcolm Gladwells of the world would show up and give you what you wanted but drat son do you really want that?

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

I have actually just started on Astonishing Legends based on an earlier recommendation ITT (only reached the first part of their Amelia Earhart double) and I actually am really enjoying it. But this is from 5 years ago - I know podcasts can lose their way. I used to listen to and really enjoy Those Conspiracy Guys a lot but it completely went to the dogs and is unlisten-able now.

The Black Eyed Kids episodes and the Shadow People episode are a fun listen for this time of the year.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I was incredibly excited when I heard that You Must Remember This was doing a miniseries on Song of the South and then wound up tapping out halfway through the first episode because the host was either deliberately misinterpreting lines from the movie to be provocative or just has a shocking lack of basic comprehension skills for someone who discusses films as a career. Like, when a Br'er Rabbit story opens with the storyteller saying that a long time ago humans and animals were closer together and the world was a better place her takeaway isn't that this is the basic setup almost every fairy tale and monomyth has but that it's explicitly referring to him thinking that life was better before the Civil War when he was a slave :what:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just wanted to drop in to say The Dream is a great series listen about MLMs. It’s a year or so old now but still super interesting and well done.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

^Good post.
You could have a conversation between a true believer who knows an astonishingly lot and a skeptic. Except the skeptic allows for room for it "maybe to be true!!" and poses mysterious questions. Hm... Art Bell??? : p

Buzzfeed's Unsolved is a video series but I think captures this, tho with a lil reality show style playacting

here's a lil clip of the skeptic guy fuckin with his believer friend on the Goatman bridge, its one of my favorite clips online in general
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N67vMGt7vA&t=58s

Peanut Butler fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 24, 2019

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
What's a good aviation disasters podcast?

All the generic disaster pods seem to be someone reading Wikipedia from their garage, only decent one I've found is Catastrophe! with Jess Phoenix. Any other good ones?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Hello I'm looking for a podcast that has this kind of format: two (or more) people talking about a show/book, with little bits of the show/book sprinkled throughout. The two important things for me is they read out loud their favorite passages, and it's more than one person.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

AceRimmer posted:

All the generic disaster pods seem to be someone reading Wikipedia from their garage, only decent one I've found is Catastrophe! with Jess Phoenix. Any other good ones?

Inside the Black Box is fantastic. The guy is an actual pilot so episodes don't come out often but they're well explained without being dumbed down. The Plane Crash Podcast is a new one with a lot of potential even if it can be a touch Wikipediaish, one thing I like about it is that they've interviewed a couple of plane crash survivors.

I'll give Catastophe! a listen since I'm not a massive fan of any disaster pods I've listened to. Great Disasters is quite good but I couldn't take to All Bad Things at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
So far it's been all construction and urban stuff, but Well There's Your Problem is a good new disaster podcast by good Youtube guy Donoteat and good twitter lady aliceavizandum

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Nude posted:

Hello I'm looking for a podcast that has this kind of format: two (or more) people talking about a show/book, with little bits of the show/book sprinkled throughout. The two important things for me is they read out loud their favorite passages, and it's more than one person.

I Don't Even Own a TV is this, about books, but it's usually bad books.

Also 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back is that with Mike Nelson from MST3K. It started out as a miniseries to make fun of Ernest Cline books but branched out from there.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Nude posted:

Binge Mode: Harry Potter. They also did Game of Thrones, and are starting Star Wars.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

AceRimmer posted:

Inside the black box as mentioned, I also like this one called Plane Crash Podcast i think it’s worth checking out he talks about the crashes sometimes has interviews with survivors or other personnel lmao nm both were already mentioned check them out though!

For generic disasters check out All Bad Things - A Disaster Podcast it’s not bad some episodes are p good some not so much but I haven’t unsubscribed yet

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 26, 2019

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I don't know what happened behind the scenes but Retronauts has just completely fallen apart over the past year or two. Half the episodes aren't even about retro games but are instead them talking about movies or current games that are vaguely related to an older game or franchise and the new hosts they've added are a huge drop in quality; Benj Edwards especially is just a black hole of charisma who brings the entire episode to a halt every time he steps on someone else's joke and then makes everyone explain it to him or goes on a tangent in his monotone nerd voice while completely failing to read the room until the host steps up and actively cuts him off and tells him to move on, which makes him being a fixture in almost every new episode even more baffling since his area of expertise is making custom controllers which is incredibly limited and almost never has anything to do with the episode.

The best episodes they've had as of late have been the ones where they have a new, younger guest host on talking about a subject that they haven't already run into the ground (like Sam Leichtamer talking about the Sega Pico and other girl-focused edutainment games) and it makes me feel like after doing the show for over a decade the hosts have just completely run their course on the topic. Especially considering that Bob Mackey spends all his time and energy on his cartoons podcasts and makes way more Patreon money from them than Retronauts does, it makes me feel like they should reshuffle and find some new blood that isn't a 40-something white dude who worked in the same 00s video game magazine/website ecosystem as every other host and is just doing the show out of inertia.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

I don't know what happened behind the scenes but Retronauts has just completely fallen apart over the past year or two. Half the episodes aren't even about retro games but are instead them talking about movies or current games that are vaguely related to an older game or franchise and the new hosts they've added are a huge drop in quality; Benj Edwards especially is just a black hole of charisma who brings the entire episode to a halt every time he steps on someone else's joke and then makes everyone explain it to him or goes on a tangent in his monotone nerd voice while completely failing to read the room until the host steps up and actively cuts him off and tells him to move on, which makes him being a fixture in almost every new episode even more baffling since his area of expertise is making custom controllers which is incredibly limited and almost never has anything to do with the episode.

The best episodes they've had as of late have been the ones where they have a new, younger guest host on talking about a subject that they haven't already run into the ground (like Sam Leichtamer talking about the Sega Pico and other girl-focused edutainment games) and it makes me feel like after doing the show for over a decade the hosts have just completely run their course on the topic. Especially considering that Bob Mackey spends all his time and energy on his cartoons podcasts and makes way more Patreon money from them than Retronauts does, it makes me feel like they should reshuffle and find some new blood that isn't a 40-something white dude who worked in the same 00s video game magazine/website ecosystem as every other host and is just doing the show out of inertia.

I hate to say it because I know half those guys are goons, but this is exactly my opinion too. I will say that Jeremy over the years has massively improved his on-air skills and I'm no longer happier when Bob is hosting an episode, but any "Retronauts East" episode is a pass and it's 90% because of Benj Edwards, though Chris Sims bugs me too.

Also I'm not sure why they even bother covering retro PC games because it seems like none of the main hosts apparently played more than 5 minutes of PC games during the 80s or 90s.

You're absolutely right that the best episodes now are the ones where they get a young new writer in there. Someone who's 25 has nostalgia for a completely different set of games than us old 40-somethings. The games you liked when you were a kid can only be a fresh topic once. There's nothing new added to that. In fact explicitly a good chunk of the new episodes are sequels to episodes they did on the same topic ten years ago.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
I've been looking to get a podcast going with one or two comedians, and I've been going around to open mics and pitching people my idea. Any advice for other ways I could find people to work with?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Macaroni Surprise posted:

I've been looking to get a podcast going with one or two comedians, and I've been going around to open mics and pitching people my idea. Any advice for other ways I could find people to work with?

Have you asked your mutuals on twitter?

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
They're all eastern European sex bots

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

wouldn't mind listening to a history podcast hosted by eastern european sexbots.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If you don't actually have any established reputation as a funny person then why would anyone who does want to work under you? If you're not a stand-up or an actual actor then having any kind of Twitter presence should be the absolute bare minimum to go around asking comedians to do free labor for you. To say nothing of the fact that you're going to have nobody listening to your podcast if you have nobody listening to you already, we're years past the point of saturation where two random dudes talking into a mic about whatever is on their mind could become popular through sheer luck and lack of competition.

If you have an actual specific topic that you're interested in educating people about and want to do a show about then you might have better luck doing it with a friend since you'll already have a good rapport. You might also be able to get guests that are people knowledgeable and passionate about that subject even if you're a small show. Then when you have an actual portfolio from that it will make it easier to organically grow your audience and approach (or be approached by) others about doing a show together of guesting on each other's programs.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sleeveless posted:

I was incredibly excited when I heard that You Must Remember This was doing a miniseries on Song of the South and then wound up tapping out halfway through the first episode because the host was either deliberately misinterpreting lines from the movie to be provocative or just has a shocking lack of basic comprehension skills for someone who discusses films as a career. Like, when a Br'er Rabbit story opens with the storyteller saying that a long time ago humans and animals were closer together and the world was a better place her takeaway isn't that this is the basic setup almost every fairy tale and monomyth has but that it's explicitly referring to him thinking that life was better before the Civil War when he was a slave :what:

She's right though? One of the main themes of neo-Confederate mythology is that abolition upset the "natural order" of things, and "humans and animals lived in harmony" is a dog whistle for how "those people" don't know their place. Showing black characters who long for the plantation days is an explicit choice.

This topic itself is beyond the scope of the thread, but it sounds like the host of this podcast actually does understand what they are talking about.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Judge John Hodgman is in rotation in my carpool, but surely it can’t get worse than his non-stop shilling of his new book, right?

And here’s special guest Paula Poundstone to perform a rap she wrote about how they changed ingredients in Butterfingers.

:shepicide:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
It is insane that Paula Poundstone still has a career

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Didn't her sex creep stuff turn out to be not true, or was that another person around that time?

Unless you mean, like, quality wise, in which case yea same

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

sexpig by night posted:

Didn't her sex creep stuff turn out to be not true, or was that another person around that time?

Unless you mean, like, quality wise, in which case yea same

It's true that she was never convicted of sexually abusing her kids. So she's got that going for her

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
was she just a normal abuser then? I forget who from that era was a creep and who was just a horrible person.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

sexpig by night posted:

was she just a normal abuser then? I forget who from that era was a creep and who was just a horrible person.

According to the Wikipedia

In October 2001, Poundstone was charged with felony child endangerment in connection with driving while intoxicated with children in the car. She was also charged with three counts of lewd acts upon a girl younger than 14.[11] She changed her earlier plea of not guilty, and, in exchange, prosecutors dropped three counts of committing lewd acts against a child and added a misdemeanor count of inflicting injury upon a child.[11][12] Poundstone also pleaded no contest to one count of felony child endangerment.[12] She was sentenced to probation and six months in rehabilitation and ordered to perform 200 hours of community service.[12] In 2002, Poundstone talked about her personal responsibility for the events that led to her arrest and the steps she has taken, including a six-month treatment program for alcoholism, but said that she did not commit any lewd acts or child abuse.[12]

Poundstone is asexual[13] and an atheist.[14][15]

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

According to the Wikipedia

In October 2001, Poundstone was charged with felony child endangerment in connection with driving while intoxicated with children in the car. She was also charged with three counts of lewd acts upon a girl younger than 14.[11] She changed her earlier plea of not guilty, and, in exchange, prosecutors dropped three counts of committing lewd acts against a child and added a misdemeanor count of inflicting injury upon a child.[11][12] Poundstone also pleaded no contest to one count of felony child endangerment.[12] She was sentenced to probation and six months in rehabilitation and ordered to perform 200 hours of community service.[12] In 2002, Poundstone talked about her personal responsibility for the events that led to her arrest and the steps she has taken, including a six-month treatment program for alcoholism, but said that she did not commit any lewd acts or child abuse.[12]

Poundstone is asexual[13] and an atheist.[14][15]

lol yikes

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
She is an atheist? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Imagined Life is great but it's always an anticlimax when you've never heard of the person, this week I didn't know who Margaret Cho is. I've heard the name but not much beyond that. From an episode a while back, I also didn't know who Reba McEntire was at all, I guess because I'm not American. Still, it's fun to learn about someone who's not on your radar.

I'm surprised Imagined Life doesn't have more presence online, it'd be fun to know how many other people got the answer and when.