Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Starmer looks like he's having fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Hentai Jihadist posted:

i dunno why youd watch parliament at this point, nothings gonna happen by the end of the day its just gonna be more endless poo poo stretching into the future for another 5 years at least

ah, an optimist

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

Starmer looks like he's having fun

his dad worked in a factory you know
:wink:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Happy birthday Rarity!

Also going back to Vitamin Ps posts (even knowing it's him) the whole European Commission not being directly elected issue is an interesting one. I don't actually think it's terrible, both because pragmatically speaking it makes the member governments more invested in the EU rather than having an antagonistic relationship with it, as well as because the resulting commissions have largely been more letfy and evidence-based than if it were formed from the EP election winners. There's also the fact that all proposed legislation has to be agreed on by the parliament and can be amended, which gives the parliament a great deal of power.

Yes it is less democratic, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, particularly in a situation with prominent RWM in many member countries, often the more populous ones (and thus ones with more MEPs). It also gives an important voice to the smaller countries, whose concerns otherwise could would be largely ignored in the proposed legislation.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Ratjaculation posted:

im watching rugby, similar to Brexit its not good for Ireland

Oh, they'll be fine as long as they just let us peacefully invade.

Happy birthday excellent poster Rarity :toot:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Happy birthday rarity. you share your birthday with Bertha Knight Landes who sounds like a right dudette.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Bercow also looks like he's having fun

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Do we reckon the letwin amendment will pass?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Rarity posted:

It is my birthday today and I cannot be hosed with worrying about Brexit. I'm gonna play some vidgams and treat myself to a delivery for dinner and check in with the result later. Godspeed, friends.

Happy birthday Rarity. You don't like horrible mutated cats, so here are some nice ones to speed you on your way!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

ThomasPaine posted:

Do we reckon the letwin amendment will pass?

A good general rule seems to be "if it will help rule out no deal it will pass, otherwise gently caress knows" so on that basis I'm going to say yes

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Happy birthday Rarity.

I've also decided to sit today's machinations out (and definitely no twitter). There's nothing I can do or say that will change matters today but I can at least save my blood pressure.

I have 4 relative/close friend birthdays in the next 7 days so just had coffee out with one of them.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Starmer has finished his exegesis. Letwin is moving his amendment

Bercow has selected the SNP amendment as well, huh wait no he didn't

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 19, 2019

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So if this amendment passes, the government pull the vote and everyone goes home? Then presumably Boris will be forced to send the letter, and we might get a VONC next week?

E: steady on Tess...

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1185524510830845952?s=09

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
e: nah

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

CoolCab posted:

ah, an optimist

so far betting on "parliament cannot take positive action re: brexit" is working out very nicely, as long as positive action means doing something, not whether its good or bad.

considering if they dont do anything they get another extension to go on holiday again it seems fairly likely that a deal wont be agreed today

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
it is mildly refreshing to hear the Scottish MPs let rip - no wriggling about the people's will etc

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

baka kaba posted:

Keir's going for a powerful performance

I loved it, but a lot of the praise for it is framed as "if only he was in charge of Labour instead of that wretched Corbyn", sigh

Private Speech posted:

Happy birthday Rarity!

Also going back to Vitamin Ps posts (even knowing it's him) the whole European Commission not being directly elected issue is an interesting one. I don't actually think it's terrible, both because pragmatically speaking it makes the member governments more invested in the EU rather than having an antagonistic relationship with it, as well as because the resulting commissions have largely been more letfy and evidence-based than if it were formed from the EP election winners. There's also the fact that all proposed legislation has to be agreed on by the parliament and can be amended, which gives the parliament a great deal of power.

Yes it is less democratic, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, particularly in a situation with prominent RWM in many member countries, often the more populous ones (and thus ones with more MEPs). It also gives an important voice to the smaller countries, whose concerns otherwise could would be largely ignored in the proposed legislation.

The real democratic deficit is, as always, in the EU structures maintaining neoliberalism, capitalism and austerity. One of these is the EU budget regulations, which were agreed upon by the member states' governments many years ago and are woefully out of date, and which have a built-in assumption that deficit spending is always bad regardless of circumstance. The other is the European Central Bank which was "walled off from politics" in the German tradition, under the pretense that if politicians have no direct say in the ECB's decision-making, it will be an ideology-free technocratic institution, except surprise, technocracy and austerity are also ideologies and there is no such thing as an apolitical monetary policy.

The third is the euro. There is a fundamental problem in the EU having a common monetary policy but national fiscal policies. Both should be common, or both should be national. It is literally a textbook example of how not to do things in that I first read about this problem in my econ 101 textbook by Joseph Stiglitz.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Agreed

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I thought Kier did a dire job. Kept letting interventions cut in, making his more technical speech disorganised and messy. He really needs to start ignoring MP requests to give way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah he got about five words in between each intervention. Blackford's got the right idea by bulldozing through.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RARITY, please play many videos game and CONSUME your preferred foods/drinks!!!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Flint looks weirdly pleased at Blackford swatting away her remark

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Caroline flint just nicely drawing attention to internal labour slapfighting there for no conceivable reason, very cool

I swear to god if this passes thanks to labour rebels I will be so mad

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

lmao imagine being theresa may

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Caroline flint just nicely drawing attention to internal labour slapfighting there for no conceivable reason, very cool

I swear to god if this passes thanks to labour rebels I will be so mad

OP, if this passes at all I will be rather incandescent with rage, no matter who votes for it.

But I suppose for now I can at least escape this hell for Disco Elysium for the time being. Go go Commie Cop.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Hah May has melted, sounds like she wants a no deal.

Edit: Or maybe not, first half sounded like it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
aha, found it

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1185475832979943425

so Blackford was just going on about his amendment for giggles, I suppose. huh.

ronya fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 19, 2019

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

baka kaba posted:

lmao imagine being theresa may

one morning, as baba kaba woke from troubled dreams, he found himself transformed in his bed into a Tory

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ hey I thought we'd banned existential horror itt

forkboy84 posted:

OP, if this passes at all I will be rather incandescent with rage, no matter who votes for it.

But I suppose for now I can at least escape this hell for Disco Elysium for the time being. Go go Commie Cop.

but your fisheries!!!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

ronya posted:

e: nah #2

Can someone turn ronya off and on again, I think they’re broken.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

forkboy84 posted:

I've been a literal ball of white hot fury since the EU gave Boris this massive gift

Regardless of what happens today (and I think his deal will pass sans amendment) - 5 years of a hard right Tory hellhole is beckoning

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Can someone turn ronya off and on again, I think they’re broken.

It's good, this is I think the most I've agreed with ronya in one day!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/1185323306641174530

thread favourite Farron responds to other thread favourite Flint

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
In the meantime, burn down The Sun

https://twitter.com/SunApology/status/1185533473974607873

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Sammy Wilson giving Parliament a good bollocking.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

So does that mean the DUP are voting for the amendment or what

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

there is no hope

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

So does that mean the DUP are voting for the amendment or what

Looks like it. Arelene said they wouldn't vote for Boris's plan.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
:negative: this is seriously depressing viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I have no idea what's going on anymore and I'm just utterly confused about everything