Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
LOL that I'm so involved in this that I'm explaining it out even though I've only been to Britain once in my life for three days and hated my entire time there except for the Tower of London, that was cool as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Boris refusing to write the letter?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

Boris refusing to write the letter?
He is saying that he refuses to engage with the EU and that laws don't affect him etc. etc.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The poo poo you see when look through the #brexitdiagram tag...

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
Of course he is refusing to write the letter. That's been the plan since the Benn act was passed. Now what the gently caress can parliament do to get an extension passed when all our laws say it has to be him to do it. Queen to step in? Which is an impossibility

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Probably Magic posted:

LOL that I'm so involved in this that I'm explaining it out even though I've only been to Britain once in my life for three days and hated my entire time there except for the Tower of London, that was cool as poo poo.

it’s a poo poo country full of poo poo people tbh

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol

can parliament remove Boris from office or is that only the queen (I thought she was a figurehead with no powers)?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol

can parliament remove Boris from office or is that only the queen (I thought she was a figurehead with no powers)?

My understanding is that parliament can do virtually anything in the British system, including replacing Boris Johnson, but continues to do do nothing because it is deeply divided on Brexit and scared of something called the Corbyn-Man.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

EU should just extend it without him asking them to

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol

Parliament can't remove the PM since who gets to be PM is an internal party matter for the people running the government.

It can vote no confidence in the government, which forces a new election unless there is another motion passed which says that on reflection people do have confidence in the government within 14 days (worth pointing out Bojo tried to do this to his own government and couldn't get the votes to do it, meaning he failed to pass a no confidence vote in himself).

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
we cut to boris writing the address on the envelope of the letter to jean-claude junckers european commission

to:
jean-paul gaultier
european magician
42069 amsterdam

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

jBrereton posted:

Parliament can't remove the PM since who gets to be PM is an internal party matter for the people running the government.

It can vote no confidence in the government, which forces a new election unless there is another motion passed which says that on reflection people do have confidence in the government within 14 days (worth pointing out Bojo tried to do this to his own government and couldn't get the votes to do it, meaning he failed to pass a no confidence vote in himself).

my god that is confusing

so basically brexit continues to simultaneously happen and not happen for all of eternity?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Randler posted:

My understanding is that parliament can do virtually anything in the British system, including replacing Boris Johnson, but continues to do do nothing because it is deeply divided on Brexit and scared of something called the Corbyn-Man.

Wasn't one of his first hare-brained gambits to VoNC himself, because of an old clause that lets the ousted prime minister set the timetable for the next election? Such that he could move the election to November if he got the boot?

Parliament is garbage and terrified of letting a leftist having an ounce of power, but from my understanding, forcing an extension through is the only way to get rid of Boris without the Boje burning down the country on his way out.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Speaking of parliament not having any power, now they are just realizing that the Leader of the House can do whatever the gently caress he wants and they can't stop him.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
They could try switch the mace on and off?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

SelenicMartian posted:

i know it may look funny, but this is standard parliamentary dress for the leader of the opposition. that chicken suit actually dates back to 1793. traditionally, the suit is given to the opposition leader as they enter the chamber by black rod, and they must put it on in full view of the chamber (another procedural rule from 1925 states they must be nude apart from the suit while in session)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

spacemang_spliff posted:

my god that is confusing

so basically brexit continues to simultaneously happen and not happen for all of eternity?
There has always been brexit, and there will always be brexit.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

redleader posted:

i know it may look funny, but this is standard parliamentary dress for the leader of the opposition. that chicken suit actually dates back to 1793. traditionally, the suit is given to the opposition leader as they enter the chamber by black rod, and they must put it on in full view of the chamber (another procedural rule from 1925 states they must be nude apart from the suit while in session)

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

nice, Saturday morning Parliament...

quote:

It’s rare for The House of Commons to sit on a Saturday, but it’s happened four times before:

2 September 1939: Outbreak of World War II
30 July 1949: Summer adjournment debates, last sitting of the summer
3 November 1956: Suez crisis
3 April 1982: Falkland Islands invasion

wait a minute

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Man Musk posted:

nice, Saturday morning Parliament...

wait a minute

Nice. Four important historical occasions, and a fifth where the government goes "SIKE" and fucks off.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

redleader posted:

It's not the original chicken suit, that was devoured by starving MPs during the war.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

So Boris is refusing to honor the Benn Act even though he promised he would if his deal failed a few weeks ago? Do I have that right?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

SelenicMartian posted:

Can't wait to see Mr Chicken make a triumphant return to Downing street

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I just looked up the text of the Benn act again and I had totally forgotten that it included the letter and layout Boris is supposed to send because they can't trust him to even write a letter :D

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Randler posted:

I just looked up the text of the Benn act again and I had totally forgotten that it included the letter and layout Boris is supposed to send because they can't trust him to even write a letter :D

Lol. So is he gonna send it?

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Brexit rules, I'm glad it's infinite, I'm laughing actually

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Brexit!

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

gently caress you dad, you can't make me write a letter to the eu

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Good to see brexit is going to plan

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

my god that is confusing

Schrodinger's brexit

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

This is absolutely 100% wrong.

Parliament de facto appoints the Prime Minister. They could vote tomorrow to make Corbyn, Chuka, or the Archbishop of Canterbury (who is of course a member of the House of Lords, so eligible for the job) if they so desired - the fact that the PM is the leader of the largest party or coalition in the Commons is a reflection of the fact that if you have a majority in the Commons you can pass whatever you like.

The actual constitutional framework is that the monarch appoints the PM, who has to demonstrate that they have the confidence of the House (either through passing a Queen's Speech following a General Election or by the Opposition failing to get a VoNC passed in the event of mid-term replacements). Even with FTPA loving things up it's still constitutionally possible for the Commons to no-confidence Boris and vote in A.N. Other as PM, which has been what all the fuckaboutery with the Lib Dems has been over the last few months.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is absolutely 100% wrong.
No, it isn't.

Parliament passing a VONC in a PM doesn't mean anything, and has no effect whatsoever.

If they put a VONC in on the government and then decide on a new PM they decide to have confidence in, that's a different matter.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

jBrereton posted:

No, it isn't.

Parliament passing a VONC in a PM doesn't mean anything, and has no effect whatsoever.

If they put a VONC in on the government and then decide on a new PM they decide to have confidence in, that's a different matter.

To be pedantic, then, parliament could pass a no confidence motion in Boris Johnson's government, and the appointment of any prospective replacement would be conditional on their commanding the confidence of the house.

Who gets to be PM is absolutely the prerogative of parliament.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
lmao
https://twitter.com/BBCChrisMorris/status/1185564064119951361

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

do all British men have dicknames

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

No, it isn't.

You said that appointing the PM is an internal affair for the ruling party, which is almost exactly the opposite of the actual situation.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Bryter posted:

To be pedantic, then, parliament could pass a no confidence motion in Boris Johnson's government, and the appointment of any prospective replacement would be conditional on their commanding the confidence of the house.
Right, but they can't precision target the PM with a confidence vote that is legally binding and specific to the PM, there has to be the risk of a general election or a vote that says "actually the government is fine. sorry. never mind."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

jBrereton posted:

Right, but they can't precision target the PM
Are slings and arrows allowed in the parliament?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Randler posted:

They could try switch the mace on and off?

They would have to challenge the Serjeant-at-arms to do duel, it would take weeks for the blacksmiths to forge the constitutionally mandated single-use swords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Probably Magic posted:

Go to Manchester, the jewel of the north