Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’m really disappointed they showed Modern Times but then didn’t have Arthur do anything really Chaplinesque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
the closest thing was Chaplin roller skating blindfolded super close to an edge and Joker closing his eyes dancing down the stairs.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ignis posted:

I have never watched Taxi Driver or King of Comedy and the last DC movie I sort of liked was... Justice League I guess...? Loved the Nolan trilogy too. I'm not into comic books but I have watched all of MCU so far. Joaquin Phoenix is okay I guess. Should I see this or should I just wait for it to hit streaming?

My honest feeling is that it's not a must see, but it's worth seeing in general. It's not a movie that strongly benefits from being seen in a theater vs. the privacy of your own home. I actually saw it in one of those restaurant/theaters and a server actually came across my row to clear some dishes during the climax of the movie. Anyway, there's a lot of delicate and emotionally weighty subject matter, so I do think it's a good streaming experience.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Joker Stairs Named Religious Destination on Google Maps
I'm gonna sell Oxygen tanks at base camp for the people taking the stair pilgrimage.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

iamsosmrt posted:

My honest feeling is that it's not a must see, but it's worth seeing in general. It's not a movie that strongly benefits from being seen in a theater vs. the privacy of your own home. I actually saw it in one of those restaurant/theaters and a server actually came across my row to clear some dishes during the climax of the movie. Anyway, there's a lot of delicate and emotionally weighty subject matter, so I do think it's a good streaming experience.

streaming it is then, thanks!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

gary oldmans diary posted:

Joker Stairs Named Religious Destination on Google Maps
I'm gonna sell Oxygen tanks at base camp for the people taking the stair pilgrimage.

It is the Mecca for the Incelamic faith.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

So do you guys feel that this movie was overhyped?

Only with a certain crowd, I guess. Like there's a subset of people who evidently want comic book movies to turn prestige and win oscars, etc. which is all well and good, but I don't personally think this movie has an original or fresh bone in its body. It's a tired exploration of themes and ideas that many better movies have done in more insightful ways, and in the end the whole thing just comes off as a vanity project for Joaquin Phoenix and Todd Phillips.

There's a certain level of ambition to the idea of trying to make the evil clown movie a prestige motion picture that criticizes society and whatnot, but the execution is decidedly unambitious. To me the whole movie fits in the same camp as that very specific type of disability/minority oscar bait films like Imitation Game or American Sniper or Monster that - regardless of the quality of those films - largely just exist so the star can act their pants off as a member of a perceived lower caste of society.

With the obvious difference that this movie isn't a biography of a real person, but the biography of the most notorious comic book villain ever. And as is largely the case with these types of movies, there is little to say about it other than "man that was a good performance".

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 17, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

im depressed lol posted:

the closest thing was Chaplin roller skating blindfolded super close to an edge and Joker closing his eyes dancing down the stairs.

I didn’t even catch his eyes were closed while dancing. I was hoping he’d cartoon splat into a pole while running from the train or fall off the stage during his set (an homage to real life!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sizx2j7Vc6Y

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

ruddiger posted:

I didn’t even catch his eyes were closed while dancing. I was hoping he’d cartoon splat into a pole while running from the train or fall off the stage during his set (an homage to real life!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sizx2j7Vc6Y

There was the bit where he tried to act all cool in front of the detectives, dropping sick bon mots and flicking his cigarette at them all tough guy, and then ran face first into an EXIT ONLY glass door at the hospital. That was pretty good.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

YagotmeIdidit posted:

It's no Taxi Driver/King of Comedy that's for sure, but the bizarrely disconnected backlash it got from a bunch of media outlets kinda raises it above it's artistic intentions.

taxi driver is overhyped

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

There was the bit where he tried to act all cool in front of the detectives, dropping sick bon mots and flicking his cigarette at them all tough guy, and then ran face first into an EXIT ONLY glass door at the hospital. That was pretty good.

The audience reaction to that was weird. Nobody knew if it was supposed to be comedic or not. Like some people laughed, but it didn’t really play consistently to the crowd I was in. It’s clearly a comedic beat, but delivered at such a strange moment. I’m not really sure what the point of it was, especially following the discussion with the detectives.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Anyone else find his laugh terribly unconvincing? It sounded like a bad fake laugh instead of a genuine, uncontrollable laugh.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

Anyone else find his laugh terribly unconvincing? It sounded like a bad fake laugh instead of a genuine, uncontrollable laugh.

Kind of. I thought it sounded like a dangerously deranged person, which led me to feel conflicted about in-movie reactions to him. If it was intended to sound like a real belly laugh that he couldn't control, that would explain a lot of the seeming confusion and annoyance at him. Otherwise I thought people were strangely oblivious to how mental he seemed.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

taxi driver is overhyped

Are you often wrong?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's not a real laugh since it's part of his illness and why it comes across as sounding fake. You can see him struggling when laughing to stop.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Vintersorg posted:

It's not a real laugh since it's part of his illness and why it comes across as sounding fake. You can see him struggling when laughing to stop.

Yeah that was some fantastic acting on the part of Joaquin, it was very reminiscent of someone trying to get through a stutter.

ruddiger posted:

I’m really disappointed they showed Modern Times but then didn’t have Arthur do anything really Chaplinesque.

Apparently there is a deleted scene where Wayne has him thrown out of the movie theater, and he clowns it up by tumbling down the stairs, inciting the crow all the more.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
That can be seen in some trailers I believe

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Ignis posted:

I have never watched Taxi Driver or King of Comedy and the last DC movie I sort of liked was... Justice League I guess...? Loved the Nolan trilogy too. I'm not into comic books but I have watched all of MCU so far. Joaquin Phoenix is okay I guess. Should I see this or should I just wait for it to hit streaming?

Excellent trolling here. grade A stuff.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

the problem with portraying the mentally ill is that IRL the extremely mentally ill often look like bad actors. just look at eliot roger or anyone else making video manifestos

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I loved the setting of the film because I have some nostalgia for uptown Manhattan/The Bronx. Those parts of New York somehow have a unique aesthetic that doesn't get featured in films very often. I also appreciated the costumes and especially the use of warm colors. It's an interesting choice for an otherwise bleak film and a departure from other depictions of Gotham as far as I'm aware.

I didn't like the script very much. The movie has a kind off a half-baked wibe that reminded me of the Disaster Artist when it balances on the verge of greatness but kinda clumsily falls backwards. I didn't realize the relationship with Zazie Beetz character was a delusion because I thought the movie just had an unfortunately stupid element. Joaquin Phonenix was great and his performance definitely elevated the movie, but to such extent that it almost felt out of place. Somehow I think the movie would be more coherent with someone like James Franco playing the Joker. It would probably be worse but then I could enjoy the stupid aspects of the film without being distracted by a great but misplaced performance.

poo poo, I might be crazy but I can't get the idea of James Franco playing the Joker in this film out my head. I feel like it would make perfect sense. Phoenix was great but kinda wasted. I'm glad he didn't accept Doctor Strange because that would be just baffling.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think they literally watched this exact video of this actual man to base it on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk7MdKMfypM

The movie is exact 100% this.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

According to Phillips the only real laugh was at the very end when he’s thinking of a joke

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

There wasn't a lot of laughing at the screening I went to, though people were laughing st the lovely jokes the comic before Arthur was making about sex. I audibly said "yikes" after the joke about sleeping with handicapped persons.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just saw this today. First off, Joaquin Phoenix knocked it out of the park. I loved the casting as soon as I heard he got the part, and I wasn’t disappointed. The maniacal laughing while the tortured look was clearly on his face really hit the mental illness aspect on the head. There were a bunch of other shots where he absolutely nailed the character’s sickness.

As to all the hate on the plot, and anti-rich stuff, I don’t get it. It’s a movie about mental illness, which it does a great job of addressing. Don’t make it anything more than that.

One question:

Did he kill his neighbor after he snuck into her apartment? My girlfriend thought that was implied but I didn’t even consider it. I thought they were just showing their relationship as being imaginary.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's left ambiguous.

Personally I think he didn't.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Did you guys miss the end credits scene where she became Harley?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

ruddiger posted:

Did you guys miss the end credits scene where she became Harley?

That was Domino, it’s a Marvel/DC crossover

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There's a deleted scene where he stabs her and then realizes her daughter is standing there, and he says "when you grow up, if you still feel raw about it, I'll be waitin'" and then drives off in his pussy wagon.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Actually the fridge was Harley.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea but who let him out of the fridge

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think they literally watched this exact video of this actual man to base it on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk7MdKMfypM

The movie is exact 100% this.

Oh wow, yeah. That's like a 1-1 mirror of Phoenix's performance in the film.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I thought this movie was pretty mediocre overall, but I really felt they were insulting my intelligence when they felt the need to have a montage showing all the scenes where Zazie Beetz and the Joker were going on dates to drive in the fact that it was a delusion. All they needed was the scene where she's all nervous and tells him he's in the wrong apartment, it would have been a much stronger twist to just let us contrast her attitude there with the scenes we've already seen.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The existence of Cinemasins shows you pretty much have to spell poo poo out to a general audience.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Phenotype posted:

I thought this movie was pretty mediocre overall, but I really felt they were insulting my intelligence when they felt the need to have a montage showing all the scenes where Zazie Beetz and the Joker were going on dates to drive in the fact that it was a delusion. All they needed was the scene where she's all nervous and tells him he's in the wrong apartment, it would have been a much stronger twist to just let us contrast her attitude there with the scenes we've already seen.

I felt the same way (and posted as much in this thread) but then I talked to two (TWO) separate people IRL who somehow didn’t process it was a delusion even with that montage. I’m just stunned.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Roman posted:

the problem with portraying the mentally ill is that IRL the extremely mentally ill often look like bad actors. just look at eliot roger or anyone else making video manifestos
This seemed like the case with some responses to Keira Knightley's performance in A Dangerous Method (although I guess that's more of a physical anxiety disorder). The performance is powerful and unsettling but I think some audiences just don't want to be made genuinely uncomfortable.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Phenotype posted:

Have you been reading this thread and watching/reading reviews of all the people who even after all that STILL didn't know that their relationship was just a delusion?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Have you been reading this thread and watching/reading reviews of all the people who even after all that STILL didn't know that their relationship was just a delusion?

I mean, even so. Don't compromise your big moment just so the dumbest people in the audience can follow along.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

punk rebel ecks posted:

The people that thought Harvey Dent was alive after Batman spears him off a building and then Batman and Gordon spend like five minutes standing over his corpse talking about how to handle the fact that he is dead.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
When I came out of the cinema, I was just thinking that the anti-girlfriend montage was stupid and unnecessary - and at that exact moment someone next to me said that they didn't know if the relationship was real or not. So, audiences be dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So the first time I saw it, I'd rate it a solid 7\10. GOOD, but not amazing. Worth seeing, not worth arguing or stressing over though. A tad heavy handed, but fun. However, I thought that there were perhaps things I misread or missed so I went and saw it again.

Upon second viewing, I'd have to give it a 6\10 instead.

Phoenix's performance is fantastic. The direction is awesome and it's wonderfully shot. Phoenix's performance is comparable to Heath Ledger's, however Heath Ledger had something that Phoenix didn't have.

Good writing.

The movie plays with some really interesting social ideas, but the movie doesn't trust the audience to make their own conclusions about these things. On second watching, I noticed that it's REALLY heavy handed. Just when the movie starts to get interesting and play with some fun ideas, the director grinds the movie to a halt and tells you how to interpret that scene\character\idea. Generally speaking, the director's interpretation is also the least interesting one as well.

Right at the end when he screams: "Wanna know what you get when you cross a mentally ill loner blahblahblah?" The director basically summarised the entire point of his movie with that one line and it was delivered with the grace a subtlety of a rhino fart. It's so blatant it almost kills the movie for me.

The movie does make a conscious effort to not be political or do any social commentary. You can't do a Joker character without said commentary, but the focus is on the Joker and his character development.

And upon second viewing...well...there isn't much character development. He starts off the movie insane and creepy with a mean streak. Then at the end of the movie he's...insane, creepy and has a bigger mean streak. It wasn't exactly a fall-from-grace. It's fantastically acted by Phoenix, but he doesn't change much.

There are 2 scenes in this film which are legitimately fantastic and worth watching. In fact, this movie had a lot of fantastic ideas and with a better script and some re-arranging, this movie could've been really spectacular.

It's good, worth a look, but probably a Netflix watch.