Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
If I'm not misremembering they mentioned early in the CK2 development about having Kings being vassal dukes under other Kings and that interesting dynamic, like the English were in France for most of the time period. However, this never happened in CK2 and I'm wondering if that is something they want to implement in CK2, since it could lead to some interesting gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

OctaviusBeaver posted:

When one of the top bullet points is "it won't say Deus Vult" they really must be scraping the bottom of the barrel to hype it up, you could use a mod to remove that from CK2 in about 5 seconds.

It's part of what RockPaperShotgun found interesting. It's important to RPS.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
thanks for the writeup Drone, tried to watch the twitch stream but it put me to sleep

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Like I said in the CK thread, the increased focus on characters looks interesting. As well I hope that my favorite bits of CK2 get ported on, namely Hellenism and enatic succession. I was very disappointed when in IR I couldn't find a way to mod in enatic succession, since succession laws were hard coded. I really hope enatic is there, if only for modders to use.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah going full Enatic + Warmongering for the deposition CB was one of the better/more fun additions to CK2 and seeing it return in some form would be aces.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

woah, CKIII looks amazingly pretty, and the map is even bigger somehow?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

dead gay comedy forums posted:

woah, CKIII looks amazingly pretty, and the map is even bigger somehow?

Baronies are represented on the map now, so the map is 4x bigger while covering almost the same region as the last game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ham posted:

Baronies are represented on the map now, so the map is 4x bigger while covering almost the same region as the last game.

Which (for me) is a massive lure. I really like the map in Imperator even though the game itself doesn't grab me, so making it bigger in a game I like? Sure.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Btw, here is GamerZakh playing Surving the Aftermath. Says it plays closer to Frostpunk.

https://youtu.be/pvwxPbeypjA

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Is it as micro-management focused? That was what really put me off Frostpunk.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Ham posted:

What region does it cover? I hadn’t seen that yet

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Koramei posted:

What region does it cover? I hadn’t seen that yet

Seems like at least as much as CK2 after all the updates, sub Saharan Africa and India are both mentioned on the official site

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

SlothfulCobra posted:

The map looks like they're taking some of the map tricks of Imperator, which seems neat.

It seems to be missing the best part of Imperator's map, though, which is the heavy use of impassables to break up the strategic landscape. At least, it doesn't look like the Pennines or the Highlands are present as any sort of barrier to movement. They're barely present at all, in fact- the topology is weirdly under-exaggerated.

Province density is nice, dynamism in religious doctrine might be fun, improvements to intrigue are desperately welcome. The rest I'm either apathetic about or actively dislike.

Dynasty perks, Jesus loving H Christ Paradox :cripes:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Here I will layout the reasons why the next game after CK3 is Victoria 3.

The CEO made that big joke about Vicky. This isn't the kind of thing you do if you have no plans for the series. We know Wiz is working on a mystery project and obviously it would be too soon from his time leaving Stellaris til now to have a game ready for release next year. I also don't believe EU5 will be next because if you look at the Steam daily users chart HOI4 is the most popular game with about 24k daily concurrent. EU4 is slightly behind that with around 20k. Before the F2P release CK2 was getting around 5k. EU4 is a much more healthy game player wise and it doesn't need an updated version badly like CK.

I won't give up hope.

Johan totally had to remind himself that Vicky 2 was the most recent Vicky game in the Imperator talk. :tinfoil:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really hated the art style and "vibe" of surviving mars but this apocalyptic one looks actually... good?

Oh christ it's an Epic Exclusive :(

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 19, 2019

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Baronjutter posted:

Oh christ it's an Epic Exclusive :(

Just for its Early Access period, FWIW. I'm more than happy to wait for all EGS nonsense to expire, but this one is easier than most.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If small developers can get the sack of cash Epic gives them to be early-access exclusive and then be platform-neutral for full release I think that's best of both worlds.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Looked up a gameplay vide of aftermath. If mars was Tropico in space this game is Banished, but with nuclear waste

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Do we have another announcement today? I was thinking that other studio Paradox got that the Sims guy works for.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/buyer-beware-potential-qa-issues-at-paradox-may-affect-the-quality-of-ck3.1262056/
Oh look, another drama. Reddit is having a great time discussing this.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
All the publishing QA being released explains what happened with Nova Empires.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

I do like the idiot moderator walking straight into the landmine that is trying to stop people talking about a thing. Also not really a surprising development.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What?? The Paradox is just another game company full of horrible labour practices? But their marketing and tweets assured me they were one of the good ones!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So how long has it been since Paradox’s IPO?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So how long has it been since Paradox’s IPO?

I think 3 years? 1 year in with the predatory mobile game lady at the helm.

Tell you guys what, I'm going to go dig up 50 million dollars or so and start a dev studio and hire all our favs from paradox and we'll run it like a co-op where everyone's treated really well and the games get proper QA.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 20, 2019

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I made the mistake of browsing the CKIII forum. This Deus Vult thing is like a magnet for morons whining about history and free speech.

History buffs are the worst loving thing because they know the outlines of history without actually knowing how the field functions so they get pissy about these kinds of "controversies."

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Minenfeld! posted:

I made the mistake of browsing the CKIII forum. This Deus Vult thing is like a magnet for morons whining about history and free speech.

History buffs are the worst loving thing because they know the outlines of history without actually knowing how the field functions so they get pissy about these kinds of "controversies."

They're not history buffs OP, they're fash.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so reports of bad labor practices just lead to dismissive comments and whataboutism?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

What?? The Paradox is just another game company full of horrible labour practices? But their marketing and tweets assured me they were one of the good ones!

Honestly this is something people should be pissed about but instead will entirely focus on a phrase that probably wont be removed anyway. I get the industry is horrible in general, but I guess as it turns out strong labour laws don't do as much as one would hope.

The laughable part is people in that thread thinking that business practices were better when the company was small. Yeah who could forget the bugfree, not-total-garbage release of EU3 or HoI3, I'm sure the one QA person was treated like gold then.

The games are wayyy better than they used to be, but clearly that hasn't translated to any other part of the company.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 20, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
if gamers ever got mad at developers/publishers enough to actually give a poo poo then activision/blizzard, old-minecraft, fortnight, starbound, borderlands, etc etc wouldn't all be popular mainstream franchises.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

A lot of Paradox employees post here (and come from here) and none of them have ever really given the impression that it's as horrible as that makes out.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

so reports of bad labor practices just lead to dismissive comments and whataboutism?

Just from the looks it's pretty normal capitalism at work so a few mumbles about free market and everyone will forget about it because the world is broken. +1% province revolt risk for 90 days.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Taear posted:

A lot of Paradox employees post here (and come from here) and none of them have ever really given the impression that it's as horrible as that makes out.

the people who post here are also The Talent.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Minenfeld! posted:

A person claiming to be WW2 history buff. Which of those things do you think he is interested in:

- Role of Latin American countries in WW2
- French political situation leading to their actions prior to and during WW2
- Economic effects of the war on USA economy
- Partisan activity in Belarus
- Chinese civil war
- German tanks and machine guns and rockets

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 20, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Gamerofthegame posted:

the people who post here are also The Talent.

Also they aren't going to risk retaliation from management by airing their gripes about their employers on a dead comedy forum.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'm sure that CKIII will please the investors before it's released and kill any lasting hope fans have for this company. Imperator Rome was a shitshow release and nothing y'all have said has mitigated that disappointment. You're just going to release a barebones alpha on Game Pass and Steam and try to patch it up like every other company is doing these days.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

what investors really want is a cement factory to invest in

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taear posted:

PDS and the publisher are quasi distinct entities. The complaint was about publisher QA, not PDS QA.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Jeoh posted:

what investors really want is a cement factory to invest in

cement factroy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
It's worth noting that many of the people who post here from paradox are now leads on one project or a section of a project, with people working under them.

Ie: management.