Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ilmucche posted:

There's a few that hang on for second tier decks. 3 mana lili is still around, I've seen a few gideons, and sorin solemn visitor and the elspeths see some play in tokens.

narset, t3f3ri and 4 mana karn from war of the spark seem miles ahead of everything now though.

WOTC doesn't have a good record of successfully theorizing how impactful major shifts in design will be in any format, let alone Modern where there's lots of toys to play around with. Still, I'd rather they take chances and experiment like they did with the WAR planeswalkers every once in a while than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I can't judge too much since I lean on tokens and our planeswalkers are poo poo, but I saw someone talking about buying the enchantments that give -1/-1 to all token creatures because of urza and that scares the poo poo out of me.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Modern pre WAR: big Karn, JTMS, LotV, big Teferi, Ugin, Tezzeret Agent, Gideon AoZ, Kaya, Chandra ToD, Jace VP, Saheeli Rai, Lili Last Hope, Nahiri.

Modern WAR and later: Karn the Great, W6, 3feri, Narset, non-meme Ashiok, Oko, trigger Saheeli, Scions, Biggest Chandra

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Basically to be Modern playable and a Planeswalker you either cost 3 (or "3") or you're really goddamn strong at 4 (or "4")

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Biggest Chandra is the only exception to that. I guess it's uncounterable?

Big Gid also used to see some play before getting pushed out by Big Tef.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

6 mana Chandra is brutal in ponza lists because she came come out turn 4 with ramp and guarantee 1 damage a turn as a an 8 loyalty walker, then build from there.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Big OG Gideon and Elspeth, Sun's Champion were playable in UW Control before Jace and Teferi were printed. I still like having 1 Elspeth in the side.

Koth was the only PW in Skred when that was still a deck.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

GoutPatrol posted:

Big OG Gideon and Elspeth, Sun's Champion were playable in UW Control before Jace and Teferi were printed. I still like having 1 Elspeth in the side.

Koth was the only PW in Skred when that was still a deck.

4 mana Elspeth would be a house if she didn't wreck any intangible virtues that were on the field. 5 mana Elspeth is great against any deck that depends on life loss considering you gain a stupid amount of health and can generate 3 tokens worth 6 health every other turn.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Sleigh bells for the arena commercial slaps

Telephone hanging up noises when no one has a phone like that anymore doesnt slap

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Pretty obvious they're going for that 80s stranger things vibe.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Lost to a deck with 2x Revenge of Ravens and I'm pretty sure I don't want to draft this format anymore, at least for a few weeks. That was... very off-putting.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

I don't mind Revenge of Ravens as much as every other match being the mill deck. The adventure mill spell should not cost U.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

I don't mind Revenge of Ravens as much as every other match being the mill deck. The adventure mill spell should not cost U.

I've heard that's an Arena thing because the bots are so bad. Are you talking about Arena or real life? No one had the mill deck at my 25 player FNM. Incidental mill yeah, but nothing dedicated.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

It's an Arena thing, the bots just pass all the key cards and make it easy to pick up the pieces. If you can get a Vantress Gargoyale or that Folio spell it's just nigh unbeatable.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You can do a UB mill deck in paper, blue and black both have high value control spells at common, but it's egregiously bad on Arena, because bots don't usually pick secret keepers, reave souls and reapers of midnight.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program

Mat Cauthon posted:

Sometimes you play against both though!

I didn't play ranked limited for a few seasons and I made it up to Diamond in relatively few drafts by trying to jump into aggro when possible. B/R has been by far the best -- primarily due to its access to menace. The raise dead effect at 2 also helps, though it can be tricky to play since you kind of don't want to try to use it as a value card and get your poo poo milled again. I've generally been waiting to see 3 of merfolk before trying to find an opening for it. Access to a billion reave souls also helps if you adjust your normal sense of priority and more frequently target the 0/4 merfolk when they play it out. It sounds odd but since so many of these decks run Run Away Together with a low creature count I've stranded a good amount of them in hand. And if they play anything actually threatening you've probably already built a good enough board such that they can't attack. My best B/R decks that didn't have above average amount of useful rares have been built around the combo of knight and non-human synergies.
I've found R/W to be second best, W/B third and Selesnya not too good at all. The go wide enablers are too clunky. No idea about R/G and I guess there is theoretically some sort of B/G aggro adventure deck out there but I've never seen it.

I've still been losing to U/B with Ravens and mill though so, you know.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I'm reasonably sure they pushed Revenge of Ravens to make the aggressive decks mainboard enchantment removal, but whoops, turns out if the aggressive decks have to mainboard enchantment removal they can't reliably hit the critical mass of fast clocks to kill the control decks.

This would still be less problematic if its mana cost was appropriately restrictive, in a format all about color restrictions. Why it isn't 2BB or even 1BBB is beyond me.

e: also wicked wolf is hilariously overperforming at the MC because nobody is playing black for epic downfall, which totally obliterates it and is great against a lot of other creatures in the format...except nissa lands, hydroid krases, voracious hydra, food elks, the entire knights deck...maybe epic downfall is bad actually

e2: yet another conflating factor in green's dominance is that questing beast is one of the only creatures in standard that can profitably close out a game once the golos field player starts making zombies. the other is...hydroid krasis.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 19, 2019

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Sickening posted:

Questing beast should just be able to destory a planeswalker when it deals damage.

Easy, change the rules so Deathtouch applies to planeswalkers too.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

And because the drafts are independent everyone can force mill and end up with a good deck. Forever Young is a very good card at the moment in arena, and it's in the best colour (it's good in mill too lol)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheDemon posted:

Easy, change the rules so Deathtouch applies to planeswalkers too.

agreed

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Here is a mini article and 11 decks for the Eldraine event. I had the Izzet Pyromancer deck minus 2 royal scions. It's pretty sweet when all the pieces line up. Only played a few games though. B/G seems super strong if you've got the cards.

https://mtgazone.com/eldraine-constructed-event-guide-and-decklists/

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

You can't force mill on Arena. You can force mono-blue but it will not necessarily be a good deck. Secretkeepers do not show up often enough. Either the bots have been adjusted or people are exaggerating, I've been drafting non-stop for days.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If hogaak is cast from the graveyard and countered does it go to the top of the graveyard or does it stay in the same place?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

ilmucche posted:

If hogaak is cast from the graveyard and countered does it go to the top of the graveyard or does it stay in the same place?

It goes to the top of the graveyard. When you cast it it moves to the stack, then goes back to the graveyard when countered.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Chadzok posted:

You can't force mill on Arena. You can force mono-blue but it will not necessarily be a good deck. Secretkeepers do not show up often enough. Either the bots have been adjusted or people are exaggerating, I've been drafting non-stop for days.

You only need like 2 secretkeepers plus card draw and loads of recursion/removal. It doesn't have to be mono blue, UB and UG both work well. Lucky Clover does make the deck a lot better though, without that I'd probably try and pick up some flyers in packs 2 and 3 for an alt win con.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Brownhat posted:

It goes to the top of the graveyard. When you cast it it moves to the stack, then goes back to the graveyard when countered.

Yep. But if it were a card with an ability like "X: Put this into play from graveyard" then the card wouldn't go on the stack, and wouldn't move to the top. The "Cast" is the word doing the heavy lifting here.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The mill deck was also better when everyone was drafting BG grindfest decks with multiple Revenge of Ravens, since they wouldn't be putting you under any sort of pressure and you could mill them out at your leisure (unless the hit Forever Young)

Now there are a lot more aggressive decks out there so pure mill is a much dicier proposition.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

For me the moment I see them holding up constantly for the mill counterspell I just avoid playing cards and using a minimal clock to make them waste their turns

When their main defence is 0 4 s you can often just throw out 1 threat a turn with mana. Up and wait as well, either they burn the counter or you make them waste all that mana by using that threat.

It's boring as hell though tbf

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Great feeling to think you're free to play revenge of ravens into their enchantment removal because you have drown in the loch only to have it countered by the cost reduced mana leak that I literally never see played until now: a deck that runs two of them.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
mystical dispute is an okay maindeck card that really shines when you run into an opposing mill deck, because it lets you protect your folio of fancies (or whatever other unbeatable bomb you have) from the opposing didn't say please.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Lmao Williams blasting arena and wotc

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

born on a buy you posted:

Lmao Williams blasting arena and wotc

???

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

https://twitter.com/dwpoker/status/1185377609552556033?s=20

Tl;dr: he got a game loss r1 for submitting is _preliminary non final deck list_ 15 minutes late. Then had a game restarted due to crash when opponent was dead on board next turn. Lost the restart because the draws were different.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

born on a buy you posted:

https://twitter.com/dwpoker/status/1185377609552556033?s=20

Tl;dr: he got a game loss r1 for submitting is _preliminary non final deck list_ 15 minutes late. Then had a game restarted due to crash when opponent was dead on board next turn. Lost the restart because the draws were different.

15 minutes late 2 weeks in advance, so they could iron out any potential card interactions. WotC digital :swoon:

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
David Williams deserves all the blame for the late submission, but having to restart games is terrible. This must be why WotC is showing the games on a delay to make sure they don't show any crashes on stream.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How are you going to do a digital tournament for cash when the possibility of computer error is there lol

Surely if Wizards is running this thing they should be able to set up or restore custom board states in case this sort of thing happens, right?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

How are you going to do a digital tournament for cash when the possibility of computer error is there lol

Surely if Wizards is running this thing they should be able to set up or restore custom board states in case this sort of thing happens, right?

lol

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Williams is and always has been a bit of a diva. He taints the narrative with the whining about the decklist penalty, which is 100% on him.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

That 'should" was a "must" until right before I posted that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Toshimo posted:

Williams is and always has been a bit of a diva. He taints the narrative with the whining about the decklist penalty, which is 100% on him.

I just enjoy the idea that they need it two weeks in advance so they can make extra sure that particular card combinations don't blow up the client on camera. Off camera? Meh, who cares.