Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't particularly like them but my grandmother loves them cut up for breakfast with some cream on top, but they have to be ripe obviously or else they are godawful.

Yeah, my father in law dumps a huge bag of them on us every year when his tree fruits and most of them usually just end up spoiling. Figured I should finally work out something to do with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Stringent posted:

Any of y'all know anything to do with Japanese Persimmons (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diospyros_kaki)? I floated the idea of preserves or jam but nobody was interested.

Maybe a savory/sweet chutney that you could serve with meats or with cheese on crostini?

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Help me Goons I'm drawing a blank, plz tell me what to make for dinner with

Eggs
Baby potatoes
Either chicken thighs or ground sausage
Whatever pantry staples

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Help me Goons I'm drawing a blank, plz tell me what to make for dinner with

Eggs
chicken thighs
pantry staples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBSKWTtzumg

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Does anyone have an all cornmeal / no flour cornbread recipe that they really like?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Squashy Nipples posted:

Does anyone have an all cornmeal / no flour cornbread recipe that they really like?

This is what I use, adapted from Alton

Creamed Corn Cornbread

Ingredients
1-cup yellow, stone-ground cornmeal
1 cup white, finely ground cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 1⁄2 cup creamed corn
2 tablespoons corn oil

Directions
Preheat oven to 425°F Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven.
In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together to combine well.
In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, and creamed corn, whisking together to combine thoroughly.
Add the dry ingredients to the buttermilk mixture and stir to combine. If the batter will not pour, add more buttermilk to the batter.
Add 2 tablespoons oil to the cast iron skillet. Pour the batter into the skillet. Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and springs back upon the touch, about 20 minutes.

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012
Alright, so I tried to make alfredo sauce with just the pasta water, butter and cheese. After putting the cheese into the water and butter, it just settled into a layer of vulcanized parm on the bottom of my skillet.

The pasta was salvageable but my sauce was otherwise ruined. What can I do in the future to this?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like the heat was too high and you weren't whisking fast enough.

Never. Stop. Whisking.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

TofuDiva posted:

Maybe a savory/sweet chutney that you could serve with meats or with cheese on crostini?

I'll give it a go with a couple of them.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

PseudoFaux posted:

Alright, so I tried to make alfredo sauce with just the pasta water, butter and cheese. After putting the cheese into the water and butter, it just settled into a layer of vulcanized parm on the bottom of my skillet.

The pasta was salvageable but my sauce was otherwise ruined. What can I do in the future to this?

Add stuff bit by bit and make sure it emulsifies before adding more. In my experience as long as you can get the butter to play nice, it's hard to gently caress up the cheese. Save some water to adjust consistency.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Speaking of chutney, how do you make that red spicy onion stuff they have at indian restaurants? What's it called? Can I buy it in a jar?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
wats the consensus on serious eats

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

barkbell posted:

wats the consensus on serious eats

as long as it's kenji, daniel, or stella, it's reliably good and sometimes groundbreaking

anyone else? very hit or miss

if you're not an obsessive supernerd about cooking, it's probably one of the best resources available for you, especially the food lab or anything written by any of the above people

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

PseudoFaux posted:

Also make sure you are grating your own cheese, pre-shredded stuff has anti caking elements that prevent cheese sauces from happening

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone pickle green tomatoes that has a good recipe to share?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My knives have gotten terribly dull and I've been putting off getting them sharpened since it just seems like a hassle bringing them somewhere (don't drive) should I just suck it up and buy my own sharpener? What should I look for? Because I remember sort of looking into it in the past and getting the impression there's two separate sorts of devices, one for honing, and one for actually sharpening.

I also should probably get a knife block but I'm pretty tight for counter space. Are these cylinder ones any good? seems like it'd be very easy for them to get top heavy and tip.

e: Or should I just call it a wash and get a new set of knives with a block? The knives I have now aren't anything special.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 20, 2019

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I don't like knife sets and much prefer buying single knives to create my own set.

Maybe look into installing a magnetic strip if you are pressed for counter space. Or a cork drawer insert.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

barkbell posted:

I don't like knife sets and much prefer buying single knives to create my own set.

Maybe look into installing a magnetic strip if you are pressed for counter space. Or a cork drawer insert.

I have a magnetic strip on the side of my fridge, didn't have anyplace to put it in the walls. Works fine.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Don't feel like I've got much space to put a magnetic strip (renting the apartment, so can't imagine they want me drilling into things) - despite my kitchen being dinky, the fridge is far enough from my cutting board & stove that a strip on it would kinda be awkward.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 20, 2019

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

fart store posted:

Speaking of chutney, how do you make that red spicy onion stuff they have at indian restaurants? What's it called? Can I buy it in a jar?

Is the texture raw or cooked? If it's raw it sounds like a type of kachumber, which is delicious :)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You'll want a bench stone for sharpening. Look for a 320/1000 doublestone if your knives are real bad

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

That Works posted:

Anyone pickle green tomatoes that has a good recipe to share?

Genuine old family recipes, for whatever that's worth. We like the relish version better than the slices, but here are both:

Pickled Green Tomato Relish:

2 lbs cucumbers, peels removed
2 lbs green tomatoes
4-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups finely cut celery or cabbage
1 cup ground onion
1-1/2 cup very finely chopped bell peppers (red or green)
2 tablespoons finely chopped hot peppers (your choice)
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
2-1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup white mustard seed
2 teaspoons celery seed
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon each of fresh ground cloves, mace, and nutmeg

1. Wash all of the veggies before chopping, removing stems, cores, and any blemishes.
2. Put tomatoes and cucumber through a food chopper, using a coarse blade.
3. Place into a glass bowl or crock. Add salt and let stand overnight.
4. Next morning, drain/squeeze excess liquid. Add the cabbage/celery, onion, bell peppers, and hot peppers.
5. Add the remaining ingredients and mix gently.
6. Heat to just simmering, and cook slowly for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Pack and seal into hot, sterilized jars.

Makes 4-1/2 pints.

Pickled green tomato slices:

12 lbs green tomatoes
6 large onions, peels removed
1 cup salt
1 quart vinegar
4 lbs brown sugar
3 tablespoons mixed pickling spice (commercial blend or mix your own)

1. Wash tomatoes and onions and slice into thin slices.
2. Layer into a large crock, salting each layer as you go.
3. Top with a platter and a heavy weight on top of the platter. Let stand overnight.
4. Drain and then scald in boiling water.
5. Remove from the water and combine with remaining ingredients.
6. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender.
7. Pack and seal in hot sterilized jars.

Makes about 12 pints.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Oxyclean posted:

Don't feel like I've got much space to put a magnetic strip (renting the apartment, so can't imagine they want me drilling into things) - despite my kitchen being dinky, the fridge is far enough from my cutting board & stove that a strip on it would kinda be awkward.

I rent too and used those command strips to hang a knife strip. Mine was going in a small space too but I just got a shorter strip. It's nice and out of the way.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Pookah posted:

Is the texture raw or cooked? If it's raw it sounds like a type of kachumber, which is delicious :)

It's raw, but I don't think that's it. It's served with the tamarind and mint sauces as a condiment. It's bright red and spicy and full of crunchy raw onions. I don't think there's any other chunky ingredient in there.

e: I think I finally found it https://greatcurryrecipes.net/2012/06/10/how-to-make-that-red-onion-chutney-that-restaurants-serve-with-papadams/

fart store fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 20, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TofuDiva posted:

Genuine old family recipes, for whatever that's worth. We like the relish version better than the slices, but here are both:

Pickled Green Tomato Relish:

2 lbs cucumbers, peels removed
2 lbs green tomatoes
4-1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups finely cut celery or cabbage
1 cup ground onion
1-1/2 cup very finely chopped bell peppers (red or green)
2 tablespoons finely chopped hot peppers (your choice)
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
2-1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup white mustard seed
2 teaspoons celery seed
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon each of fresh ground cloves, mace, and nutmeg

1. Wash all of the veggies before chopping, removing stems, cores, and any blemishes.
2. Put tomatoes and cucumber through a food chopper, using a coarse blade.
3. Place into a glass bowl or crock. Add salt and let stand overnight.
4. Next morning, drain/squeeze excess liquid. Add the cabbage/celery, onion, bell peppers, and hot peppers.
5. Add the remaining ingredients and mix gently.
6. Heat to just simmering, and cook slowly for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Pack and seal into hot, sterilized jars.

Makes 4-1/2 pints.

Pickled green tomato slices:

12 lbs green tomatoes
6 large onions, peels removed
1 cup salt
1 quart vinegar
4 lbs brown sugar
3 tablespoons mixed pickling spice (commercial blend or mix your own)

1. Wash tomatoes and onions and slice into thin slices.
2. Layer into a large crock, salting each layer as you go.
3. Top with a platter and a heavy weight on top of the platter. Let stand overnight.
4. Drain and then scald in boiling water.
5. Remove from the water and combine with remaining ingredients.
6. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender.
7. Pack and seal in hot sterilized jars.

Makes about 12 pints.

Awesome thanks

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone have a good guide to curing/fermenting olives? The marketplace near my apartment is selling bags of fresh green olives and I’m intrigued.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That Works posted:

Awesome thanks

My dad just uses his regular pickling spice mix, too. I don't think he uses that much sugar, though.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Human Tornada posted:

I rent too and used those command strips to hang a knife strip. Mine was going in a small space too but I just got a shorter strip. It's nice and out of the way.

I did this with an Ikea knife strip (I had to wood glue a piece of wood to the strip because it's hollow). It worked well enough when I used it on drywall but it didn't when the mounting wall was not perfectly flat (e.g. natural stone). Also, the command strips meant that, basically, getting a knife was a two-handed affair. Maybe I was being overly paranoid but it was not 100% secure (like being bolted into the wall) and I didn't want knives falling.

I ended up buying one of these because: 1) I hate money, 2) I don't have anywhere to mount a magnetic knife rack, 3) I didn't want to use a block for moisture reasons, and 4) I didn't want to put them in a drawer for similar reasons.

It works quite well but people's comments about the magnets being really strong are not wrong. They are, in fact, really strong. I basically have to TWIST the knife off of the block when I'm grabbing my butcher's knife or a chef's knife. A smaller knife like a utility knife is no problem, though. Also, I put my butcher's knife on the very back (outside, on the "wall" side not the "knife block" side) and grabbing that is a little tricky, as I also want to twist the edge away from the block but also avoid the stone wall. But, I only grab it once when I cook and once when I'm done so I feel okay putting up with these inconveniences.

I didn't buy a typical knife stand because I wasn't sure if the magnets would be strong enough and if they would be large enough. They also feel like they'd end up taking more counter space.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I have had command strips fall on me multiple times in different rooms in completely different weather. Can't tie to a particular wall or humidity or door slamming or what, they just fall. Do not put your knives up with them.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I made a salad for lunch today with good quality components that still felt “meh.” I think I failed to combine flavors well. Here’s my ingredient list:

Lemon balsamic olive oil vinaigrette with salt + pepper, no sugar or herbs/spices
Romaine lettuce
Red/yellow bell pepper
Diced tomatoes
Sunflower seeds
Shaved Parmesan
Diced red onion
Great northern beans

I think the seeds, Parmesan, and fairly oil-heavy vinaigrette all contribute to a “heavy” taste and feel. I’m thinking of grabbing some dried cranberries to throw in tomorrow’s salad. I think it just needs a little more tartness and sweetness. Does that sound right?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Have you tried red wine vinegar instead of balsamic?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I asked this in the Chinese food thread, but I tried to make biang biang noodles from some leftover AP flour and the dough remained sticky and didn’t stretch well at all. I ended up rolling them out with a rolling pin. Do I need to use a specific kind of flour or flour:water ratio or something? Did I knead the dough wrong?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Pretty much anything you make with flour involves some kind of specific flour:water ratio, yes

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Pollyanna posted:

I asked this in the Chinese food thread, but I tried to make biang biang noodles from some leftover AP flour and the dough remained sticky and didn’t stretch well at all. I ended up rolling them out with a rolling pin. Do I need to use a specific kind of flour or flour:water ratio or something? Did I knead the dough wrong?
Hand pulled noodles are notoriously difficult to master and it's virtually impossible to troubleshoot over the internet without just going point by point through the process, but if your dough is super sticky then yeah, it sounds like your dough was too wet. AP flours are usually around 10% protein, which is around what you want for hand-pulled noodles. Flour water ratio is usually around 2:1.

There are a billion different ways to approach kneading, but the thing they have in common is a lot of loving resting. As a general outline you usually mix until you have a dough, rest, knead until there's some stretch/spring, rest, possibly repeat here, divide, rest, flatten and rough shape (into long flat rectangles), brush with oil, long rest, hand pull, no rest, and immediately cook.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Have you tried red wine vinegar instead of balsamic?

No, but I will next time - thanks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody know of a portable induction burner that can sustain a lot of weight? I want to get one but I'm that rear end in a top hat with the 5-gallon pressure canner and you know I'll try it on it. And yes, I know I'd have to get a steel plate for it to actually work.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
For knife sharpening, I can keep my knives going indefinitely with one of these:

If I need to regrind it I'll have to bring out this guy:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody know of a portable induction burner that can sustain a lot of weight? I want to get one but I'm that rear end in a top hat with the 5-gallon pressure canner and you know I'll try it on it. And yes, I know I'd have to get a steel plate for it to actually work.

at that point, any benefit you'd get from induction is negated anyways. if you want that gently caress off big pressure canner to actually hit heat in this century, get a turkey fryer, and crank it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can you overdo spices in a marinade? I've fallen in love with grilling chicken on skewers lately, and I made a chicken satay last night that was incredible. The meat was tender, juicy and had charring. So I've thrown a mix of chicken breast and thigh into a ziplock bag and just sorta winged a marinade:

Cumin, paprika, cinnamon, turmeric, ground coriander, fenugreek powder, cayenne, mace, cardamom and some cloves. All of them were powder, apart from the cloves. I varied the amount of each I put in (so 1tsp cumin, and the rest were all like 1/2 a tsp or less). Is this going to be a flavour bomb, or is it gonna be a dud of too many flavours fighting for attention? I threw in some quartered red onions, some squares of red bell pepper and grated ginger and garlic, and glugged in some olive oil and lemon juice. I also added a tsp of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Qubee posted:

Can you overdo spices in a marinade?

Yes you can, I have gone overboard with marinades in the past where I have had more spices than meat/vegetables and it’s just been a bit unpalatable

Qubee posted:

1tsp cumin, and the rest were all like 1/2 a tsp or less

But you don’t have anything to worry about with such small quantities