Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK

Extensive Vamping posted:

I'm trying to wonder if my problem might be bpd. I've been assigned a therapist but I haven't made any appointments for a while because I don't think he can help.

Hey Vamping, without giving much detail, do you happen to know what kind of psychological theory your therapist practices? The best for BPD (if you have it) is 100% DBT. It was developed by someone with BPD who created the system and techniques because other psychological theories failed her.

If you are interested in any resources, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I think I'd feel a lot better if I could just turn off my brain and get some sleep. The times I've gotten 8 hours straight are so memorable because I feel alert when I wake up and for the rest of the day, and it's such an infrequent thing. It's only happened twice in 2019 so far. I've never slept well, but it's getting worse as I get older because I just can't sleep in anymore, so I'm not making up the hours on the back end. I do everything right: exercise, eat well, no screens in the bedroom, take my pills, etc. Kaiser sent me to sleep therapy about 10 years ago, which was literally group therapy for insomniacs and not helpful. I feel like my brain is melting all the time.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nikosoft posted:

I think I'd feel a lot better if I could just turn off my brain and get some sleep. The times I've gotten 8 hours straight are so memorable because I feel alert when I wake up and for the rest of the day, and it's such an infrequent thing. It's only happened twice in 2019 so far. I've never slept well, but it's getting worse as I get older because I just can't sleep in anymore, so I'm not making up the hours on the back end. I do everything right: exercise, eat well, no screens in the bedroom, take my pills, etc. Kaiser sent me to sleep therapy about 10 years ago, which was literally group therapy for insomniacs and not helpful. I feel like my brain is melting all the time.

have you tried progressive relaxation? or even relaxation videos on YouTube? it sounds dumb as hell but after like a decade of insomnia the only thing that knocks me out is wacky asmr videos

like you get a woman pretending to give you an extended cranial nerve exam in a Dutch accent and the next thing I know Im in a puddle of my own drool at 8AM

its the weirdest poo poo but my point is, try something relaxing on YouTube or even a bob ross video. or the mst3k twitch stream. just something to soothe the brainfire a little bit to give you the space you need

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Chokes McGee posted:

in all seriousness I kind of think there should be experiments on MDMA's effectiveness against depression. Ketamine is showing potential, why not try the drug that is literally formulated to make you feel better about everything

MDMA essentially uses all ur seratonin at once so if u have depression u will not be having a good time in the aftermath, it's potential is better suited towards PTSD.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Speaking of not being able to feel the happies. I think it's reasonable to say I probably have some amount of Anhedonia.
In that I feel anger and despair 10x stronger than I feel any sort of joy.
Example: About a year ago now I won a MTG event at my LGS. The reward was a (potentially very value) promo card. I pulled one worth 70$. Probably one of the biggest victories of my life.
My response. Initial excitement, some pride, following by my brain telling me I got lucky and didn't deserve it.
A few months earlier than that I accidentally caught a depressing headline as I was exiting out of Windows 8 and was wrecked for over a day. (I've since disabled that feature)

This is partially a result of my mood stabilizers. My doc and I adjusted my meds, which worked out great for weight loss but didn't really tip the mood scales in any real direction (but holy poo poo do I feel it if I'm off them for even a weekend). He suggested anti-psychotics. We tried ability. Unfortunately it reacted poorly with my arthritis and I was in constant pain. Then he said all other anti-psychotics have weight gain as a side effect. I am 310 pounds. I've lost 30 lbs but probably need to at least lose 50 more. I do not have the luxury of putting on weight.

So I guess I don't get to be happy ever again.
Actually I don't really know how happy I was capable of being to begin with. This is pretty much always how I've been since I've been a teenager at least.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

nikosoft posted:

i was going through a spell after moving and starting a new job last fall where i just couldn't fall asleep, even with OTC sleep aids. I did some "guided meditations" with some free stuff from Audible through a publisher called MoveWith. If you are a member there, I highly recommend it. There are a ton of free programs and I can rarely get through one 15 minute one now. The vocally-guided breathing exercises really did it for me. If you dont have audible, I'm sure there are good ones on YouTube too, like the asmr videos that do the trick for chokes

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Eat This Glob posted:

i was going through a spell after moving and starting a new job last fall where i just couldn't fall asleep, even with OTC sleep aids. I did some "guided meditations" with some free stuff from Audible through a publisher called MoveWith. If you are a member there, I highly recommend it. There are a ton of free programs and I can rarely get through one 15 minute one now. The vocally-guided breathing exercises really did it for me. If you dont have audible, I'm sure there are good ones on YouTube too, like the asmr videos that do the trick for chokes

Heh, my therapist just recommended stuff like this for my sleeping issues. Headspace and Waking Up in my case.

Currently writing this during my normal morning rage as I was woken up from a rare deep sleep by some extra loud gym rats. The thought that always repeats in my head is "I'm spending over $2,000 per month (including utilities) for a studio apartment that I can't even sleep in."

Also, ironically, going to the therapist at 6pm on the other side of town by train/walking means I go to bed late and don't get enough sleep to function the following day. I've found I need about 3 hours of "chill time" just to go to sleep. Which of course means my social life is non-existent, and I'm dreading my wife's boss's upcoming Halloween party since it means a sub-5 hour sleep at best - along with dealing with all the social bullshit.

What's a non-pathetic but low effort Halloween costume that can work in Australian spring (likely around 28C/83F)? Bonus points if it prevents me from being able to talk.

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

What's a non-pathetic but low effort Halloween costume that can work in Australian spring (likely around 28C/83F)? Bonus points if it prevents me from being able to talk.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i have to go to a Halloween party for the first time in a decade and I'm trying to find a costume myself. It is at a cops house, so I'm hoping to offend 80% of the people there and make things super awkward

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eat This Glob posted:

i have to go to a Halloween party for the first time in a decade and I'm trying to find a costume myself. It is at a cops house, so I'm hoping to offend 80% of the people there and make things super awkward

Cop costume with a pig mask

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Cop costume with a pig mask

Not a half bad idea, but I realized the mental health thread probably isnt a good place to crowdsource ideas to bother cops at a party, so I'll take it elsewhere lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
My brain continues to be broken. Also my stomach.

I went off work for a few weeks because I couldnt figure out what was going on. Saw my psychiatrist, made some adjustments, felt a bit better. Returned to work this week. I still can't do it.

I went in yesterday and my stomach started to hurt. I dont know if it's hunger (I ate less than two hours before getting to work), or nerves (I dont feel anxious or stressed), or something else. Maybe I'm dying. My brain feels okay but my body still cant handle it. Or rather, my brains feels okay but not good enough to actually push through discomfort for a whole day.
I tried eating a banana at work but had trouble keeping it down. Then I left.

Today I'm a loving mess. Didnt have time to cook. Need to cook before I go or I'll fail. Tried a frozen pizza. The thought of frozen pizza made me feel sick. I broke it over my knee and threw it out. Now I had some Insure and I'm trying not to cry.

I want to work. I want to make money. I want to survive. I want to have friends. I want to have a happy life. But I'm broken and can't make things work for myself. I dont know what to do I can't support myself like this. I'm not functional and I need to function. I dont know what to do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reality Sinner posted:

My brain continues to be broken. Also my stomach.

I went off work for a few weeks because I couldnt figure out what was going on. Saw my psychiatrist, made some adjustments, felt a bit better. Returned to work this week. I still can't do it.

I went in yesterday and my stomach started to hurt. I dont know if it's hunger (I ate less than two hours before getting to work), or nerves (I dont feel anxious or stressed), or something else. Maybe I'm dying. My brain feels okay but my body still cant handle it. Or rather, my brains feels okay but not good enough to actually push through discomfort for a whole day.
I tried eating a banana at work but had trouble keeping it down. Then I left.

Today I'm a loving mess. Didnt have time to cook. Need to cook before I go or I'll fail. Tried a frozen pizza. The thought of frozen pizza made me feel sick. I broke it over my knee and threw it out. Now I had some Insure and I'm trying not to cry.

I want to work. I want to make money. I want to survive. I want to have friends. I want to have a happy life. But I'm broken and can't make things work for myself. I dont know what to do I can't support myself like this. I'm not functional and I need to function. I dont know what to do.
Are you talking with your psychiatrist about your physical symptoms?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I mentioned it. They didnt follow up. I'm going to see my family doctor tomorrow.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reality Sinner posted:

I mentioned it. They didnt follow up. I'm going to see my family doctor tomorrow.
If you're telling your psychiatrist about physical symptoms you're feeling and they aren't asking you about when else you've experienced it, talking about PTSD, trying to help you identify its source, then they aren't a good psych. If you told them about it and they didn't follow up at all then they're really not good. I'm sorry.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Good news: you can start looking for a new, better psychiatrist, psychologist, or therapist. Seriously, if your doctor isn't even listening to you then they can't help you.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Taking the last step down off effexor. Today was day one and I was getting very mad at little things and fighting to keep the anger under wraps. I know very little about anger management.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Yesterday was a rough one, felt like I was barely hanging on all day. Just devastating sadness.

Made it through, doing better today, but I still feel like a rock being ground down by a glacier. I'll echo the desire to sleep for 12 hours a day.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
guess who was struck by the overwhelming feeling that shes a giant piece of poo poo and useless and a burden to everyone around her today

its dickeye

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

guess who was struck by the overwhelming feeling that shes a giant piece of poo poo and useless and a burden to everyone around her today

its dickeye

Quit posting my exact problem this week

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
If you are lonely, consider hanging out at http://goontu.be/ tonight or anytime. It's a video channel for a very tight-knit group of goons.

You've got a couple goons, or several on weekend nights, to chat with. You don't need to click anything to start watching whatever's playing. Sometimes music, sometimes full movies, sometimes odd videos. Registration involves just making up a name. Add more videos from youtube/twitter/vimeo/twitch/etc. to subject everyone in the chat room to. They'll enter a queue and everyone will watch. There's a very slow GBS thread for Goontube and an internal forum on-site too. There's enough Goontube inside jokes to rival SAclopedia.

Very chill place.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

its dickeye

Siljmonster posted:

Quit posting my exact problem this week

I think that feelings of guilt are one of the main symptoms of depression. I have a lot of problems with them, too.

About the best thing I can do is keep in mind that I don't think that people with psych or personal struggles are a burden, and that because of that I shouldn't think that I am, either.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

It has been five months today since my fiance dumped me out of the blue. I wish I knew I would feel totally okay again. It's definitely gotten better but lately I've been hit with horrible depressive moods. I am grateful that I am able to sleep again, with the help of a THC tincture that combats my restless leg syndrome. But often waking up and knowing a whole day is ahead of me, alone, is dread-inducing. :(

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

It has been five months today since my fiance dumped me out of the blue. I wish I knew I would feel totally okay again. It's definitely gotten better but lately I've been hit with horrible depressive moods. I am grateful that I am able to sleep again, with the help of a THC tincture that combats my restless leg syndrome. But often waking up and knowing a whole day is ahead of me, alone, is dread-inducing. :(

I've been there with the engagement break-up. Best thing that I can tell you to do is to keep occupied and exercise if you can. It's difficult but you will get through it.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

Hey Vamping, without giving much detail, do you happen to know what kind of psychological theory your therapist practices? The best for BPD (if you have it) is 100% DBT. It was developed by someone with BPD who created the system and techniques because other psychological theories failed her.

If you are interested in any resources, let me know.

Thanks, I'll see what he uses. I did find a reddit thread on DBT that looks useful. Procrastination is a big issue for me, and I found a workbook for it. I'll look at it later.

erosion has issued a correction as of 18:13 on Oct 19, 2019

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've been there with the engagement break-up. Best thing that I can tell you to do is to keep occupied and exercise if you can. It's difficult but you will get through it.

I read somewhere that 1 in 5 engagements fail. No one ever talks about it though...I'm 25 and all my friends are just meeting people or getting married. I took up running, which helped :) trying to pick up new hobbies too. Thanks for the response and solidarity, it means a lot

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

It's definitely gotten better but lately I've been hit with horrible depressive moods. I am grateful that I am able to sleep again, with the help of a THC tincture that combats my restless leg syndrome. But often waking up and knowing a whole day is ahead of me, alone, is dread-inducing. :(

Weed *does* that to me. Without fail I get depressed and forlorn for all of the next day after I've smoked. Nothing depressing happens during while I smoke, it's just super delayed. I don't even smoke late at night. I can't explain it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
ugh sleeping all day, i feel so useless.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
went by guitar center last night to pick up some strings and was planning on putting them on today and playing for the first time in years after my gf cut my old ones off raging out

instead she wakes me up this morning drunk as hell to tell me she called my coworker and accused her of sending inappropriate pictures of herself to me, when nothing like that whatsoever has ever happened

so my boss called afterwards and now I have a meeting with the title 9 coordinator first thing monday morning

cool

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Extensive Vamping posted:

Procrastination is a big issue for me, and I found a workbook for it.

quote:

I'll look at it later.

:catstare:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

I read somewhere that 1 in 5 engagements fail. No one ever talks about it though...I'm 25 and all my friends are just meeting people or getting married. I took up running, which helped :) trying to pick up new hobbies too. Thanks for the response and solidarity, it means a lot

Im 37. the first girl I ever asked out ended up going out with my best friend for the next 5 years as a direct result of me asking her out. my longest relationship was over 15 years ago and ended with her telling me she was pregnant and cheating on me on my birthday. everything since then has been a spectacular failure (I have more than a small part in the failures, dont get me wrong).

love sucks sometimes. Its good to try to focus on things that make you happy and Im glad youre finding something not only good but healthy for you to enjoy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Flavius Aetass posted:

went by guitar center last night to pick up some strings and was planning on putting them on today and playing for the first time in years after my gf cut my old ones off raging out

instead she wakes me up this morning drunk as hell to tell me she called my coworker and accused her of sending inappropriate pictures of herself to me, when nothing like that whatsoever has ever happened

so my boss called afterwards and now I have a meeting with the title 9 coordinator first thing monday morning

cool

What kind of guitar

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I have suffered from OCD since I was a child that went undiagnosed until my early 20's. I then began to have panic attacks in my late teens. I came from a small, rural community that had no psychiatric outpatient care. My general practitioner inappropriately put me through series of antidepressants that culminated in messing me up pretty bad (active psychosis) for a grip. I was inpatient for five days at one point when I formally got diagnosed.

When I got out on my own and moved to a larger city I sought psychiatric care to further my life's journey of tangible healing. I've done CBT (hugely helpful), mindfulness (also hugely helpful), and my current psychiatrist (apparently a very accomplished psychoanalyst and prolific author) has me monitoring my own dreams to see how my unconscious works. He taught me a technique for pitching problems and scenarios in your daily life to your unconscious to see how it symbolizes and 'speaks,' and I can honestly say it's fascinating. He gave me some stuff to read to explore the field, which included Marx, Gramsci, Freud, Jung which he says formed his ideological formation.

It's been a journey, and for anyone that is struggling: Your pain is real. Your pain is justified. You are more powerful than your pain, and one day you will realize it.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What kind of guitar

cheap epiphone les paul special 2

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Flavius Aetass posted:

cheap epiphone les paul special 2

Nice. My old roommate and best friend managed a guitar center, I'm thinking about texting her to be like yeah what kind of deal can you get me on a mexi tele

Maybe get an overdrive pedal and an eight track and gently caress around and make some poo poo, but mostly, I want that mexi tele. Beautiful instruments.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
even the mexican strats are so overpriced these days. good luck with a telecaster, you're right about how they play (and look)

I wonder if there's any appreciable quality difference between fender and squier anymore

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i love music so much. i wish i could play an instrument or sing, but I'd be a detriment to the artform lol. my favorite family story involves my (still alive, 90 y/o grandmother) being told to lip sync by a nun in catholic school because her voice essentially offended god lol

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

i love music so much. i wish i could play an instrument or sing, but I'd be a detriment to the artform lol. my favorite family story involves my (still alive, 90 y/o grandmother) being told to lip sync by a nun in catholic school because her voice essentially offended god lol

I wish you knew how many people who talk about playing music (like myself) are not good at it but still enjoy it

go to a pawn shop and buy a cheap guitar or keyboard and get on youtube for lessons

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i accidentally double dosed on wellbutrin a few days ago and somehow my jaw seems to be getting even more sore as time goes on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

i accidentally double dosed on wellbutrin a few days ago and somehow my jaw seems to be getting even more sore as time goes on
Is it making you clench or grind your teeth at night?