Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They're thralls, not ghouls, no? Ghouls are another form of undead

Vampire the Masquerade thing. Mortals who exchange blood with a vampire become ghouls, who are still humans but have heightened abilities, health, and regenerative powers, and also are under that vampire's thrall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Was re-reading earlier chapters looking for brotherhood stuff and this comic comments gag gets me every single time

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

Vampire the Masquerade thing. Mortals who exchange blood with a vampire become ghouls, who are still humans but have heightened abilities, health, and regenerative powers, and also are under that vampire's thrall.

everything else just calls that 'thrall,' because ghouls are a different thing

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good luck getting people to stop using it that way lmao

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Patware posted:

everything else just calls that 'thrall,' because ghouls are a different thing

Really? I've never seen a ghoul, hook me up.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

I have only ever seen Ghoul in the context of eaters of human corpses. I've always liked when thralls get called Renfields though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ghouls are corpse-eaters, graverobbers, cannibalistic scavengers

they tend to be depicted as feral, physically degenerated humans. they can be highly aggressive or just scavengers that avoid trouble. often associated with disease. sometimes theyre just fantasy superzombies, sometimes theyre cursed people. i think the myth originates from arabia

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Well, to turn down the snark a bit, I was failing to communicate that there's nothing that ghouls "are" because they're not real. The Arabian origins of the word tie in pretty tightly to their VtM depiction... humans who have fallen due to an obsession, often sexual, with the dead, gripped by greed and gluttony, needing to drink something specific, lusting after power and immortality. The halfway step between kindred and kine are a huge part of a very popular RPG.

D&D ghouls have 13 hit points and are boring. Elves used to be immune to their touch, but that got dropped after designers realized no one cared about ghouls. Forget they exist, and be richer for it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

Well, to turn down the snark a bit, I was failing to communicate that there's nothing that ghouls "are" because they're not real.

would you use this same argument if someone said 'vampire' and was referring to an angry walking tree

V:tM uses a lot of weird terminology that is unique specifically to it. if you go around saying 'ghouls' in mixed company, yeah, you're gonna get a bunch of people thinking you mean a lot of other poo poo

hell the few V:tM players i know also just say thrall

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
world of darkness is pretty big in the cultural vampire-related landscape

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Patware posted:

would you use this same argument if someone said 'vampire' and was referring to an angry walking tree

No, because the definition of vampire as an angry walking tree isn't significant as opposed to the constantly evolving monster that represents our sexual inadequacies, the fear of aging, the hatred of the rich, and the body horror that has evolved alongside our culture for centuries.

Also your VtM buddies may have been talking about thralls in general, not all of whom are ghouls. There are lots of ways to get mortals to do your bidding! You could own their business, for example. Or have mesmeric powers, or just frame them for crimes and then take all of their stuff and dogs.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I hope you guys get this figured out because it's obviously a very important distinction

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This is the only kind of ghoul that I will accept as canon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People get so confused these days when I bring up zombies and ghosts and I'm like, how have you heard nothing about Kingdom Hearts yet?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Anyway these guys are clearly Familiars, ordinary humans serving a vampire in the hopes that he's eventually going to make them immortal by turning them into vampires.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the correct term for

Mystic Mongol posted:

humans who have fallen due to an obsession, often sexual, with the dead, gripped by greed and gluttony, needing to drink something specific, lusting after power and immortality

is "cops"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the correct term is "cops"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the correct term is "cops"

Edit: Looking at the last panel, with Davy Superman-ing, this means that he was wearing a mascot costume with an inflatable suit, over a police uniform with a bulletproof vest, over a pinstripe suit.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 19, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Patware posted:

Blood sucking trees are a thing in a couple of culture's folklore and urban legends. Add mobile roots and yeah, I'd accept a walking angry tree as a vampire.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

Blood sucking trees are a thing in a couple of culture's folklore and urban legends. Add mobile roots and yeah, I'd accept a walking angry tree as a vampire.
But there's so many pun opportunities you could go with instead! Like vampi-fir! Don't just leaf them hanging!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
looking for "waking tree vampire" I found stuff about real-world walking trees, which are quite cool.

quote:

“As the soil erodes, the tree grows new, long roots that find new and more solid ground, sometimes up to 20m,” said Vrsansky. “Then, slowly, as the roots settle in the new soil and the tree bends patiently toward the new roots, the old roots slowly lift into the air. The whole process for the tree to relocate to a new place with better sunlight and more solid ground can take a couple of years.”

Also things about purported real-world man-eating trees, there's a lot of them, but none that have a documented actual existence.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Who are these weirdos and how do they relate to our dog/conspiracy theory based comic known as Paranatural?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Capfalcon posted:

Who are these weirdos and how do they relate to our dog/conspiracy theory based comic known as Paranatural?
How could you forget our protagonist's best friends, Johnny, Ollie, and RJ? There's some other characters in that chapter that I don't care about as much, but I appreciate getting to see what Johnny is up to when he's not on-panel.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

How long has it been since we saw Max's dad and sister? 10 years? 20?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

T-man posted:

I think it was there and a little bit of the next page. Last appearance of the dad was there. Then there's a lot of nonsense at school for the rest of chapter 5, and chapter 6 focuses on Steve so we don't see any of Max's family.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Max and his dad appeared in RJ's nonbinary epiphany flashback at the Insolent Children concert.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

T-man posted:

It's been about 300 years but Zack keeps resetting our memories so they can alternate between redrawing everything and letting his wrists heal

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's been about 300 years but Zack keeps resetting our memories so they can alternate between redrawing everything and letting their wrists heal

Curse that muscle memory

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Fortis posted:

Max and his dad appeared in RJ's nonbinary epiphany flashback at the Insolent Children concert.

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-187
oh hey you're right, i hadn't noticed that

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

T-man posted:

They were also at the start of the chapter when Stephen went to Max's dad's store

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They were also at the start of the chapter when Stephen went to Max's dad's store

If y'all were looking for the page.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Apropos of nothing while we wait: anyone else notice that the leaders of both youth gangs in the story have red hair? You think Paige dyes it too?

Think it's normally black?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Apropos of nothing while we wait: anyone else notice that the leaders of both youth gangs in the story have red hair? You think Paige dyes it too?

Isaac isn't the leader of the Paranatural street gang, though????

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Who What Now posted:

Isaac isn't the leader of the Paranatural street gang, though????

That's a club, not a gang. I'm talking about Johnny's and Paige's.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
A distinction without difference!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

johnny doesn't have a gang, he has a stack

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Paige's ominous blue eyes did have me thinking of a certain class president, yeah.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
She'll turn out to be Johnny's sister and Steven will be embarrassed as gently caress to have not recognized her.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm pretty sure it's implied in Chapter 3 that Johnny and his gang have fought them before. Or at least Johnny and Ollie have.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

http://www.paranatural.net//chapter-6-page-39

its vampires all the way down folks