Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
...that's frankly a very polite and thoughtful sicario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah usually they just start blasting in crowded restaurants.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It’s been questionable whether the government of Mexico meaningfully has a monopoly on the use of force anymore, but the cartels just straight up getting their guys sprung from arrest and imprisonment, with the acquiescence of the government, seems to be a troubling new low point.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
straight from the cyberpunk thread

https://twitter.com/oscar_saucedo1/status/1185160251495989248

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

PT6A posted:

the government of Mexico

Well that depends on who we mean by this

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://twitter.com/SoWellMoris/status/1184645462533345280

RandomPauI posted:

What is a good way to become better informed about Mexican current events?

https://twitter.com/Stephentwoodman

This journo is generally ok and timely

There's some WILD videos related to yesterday

https://twitter.com/Radiohen/status/1184976126369783809

https://twitter.com/DianaAficion/status/1184956556082864129

https://twitter.com/memobarba/status/1185061327774945280

https://twitter.com/RodrigoHdzT/status/1184971084447342593

https://twitter.com/el_Periodico/status/1184973364911312899

https://twitter.com/EIJefeDiego/status/1181889316395438080

oh yeah also apparently Lady Gaga fell during a concert

edit: They're either using vehicles from Mexican phone company "Telmex Infinitum", or copying their service truck design as urban camouflage

https://twitter.com/paulalejandro99/status/1184952607070015488

Further edit: You can get tamales while there's a shootout in the streets in Mexico. Tamales guy owns

https://twitter.com/tnahardy15/status/1184972106783698945

There's a script somewhere about tamales guy not knowing there's a balacera going on, but he's gotta get that bread and he's wondering why the streets are empty. or maybe he just doesn't give a gently caress

further edit:
Apparently 55 prisoners escaped during the conflict from some local prison

https://twitter.com/Lalogale/status/1184979196378001409

aaaand I've just got into the rabbit hole, some video where dudes are shooting a dead body for fun during yesterday's events. I don't recommend that one

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 18, 2019

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
this was a very sad day for all Mexicans I think.

The government not knowing how to prepare for capturing the son of Chapo Guzman and releasing him after turning Culiacan into a warzone. That is both humiliating and sad to see.

Apparently, the cartel sicarios closed all access to the city and even went to a military housing zone to kidnap families of soldiers and threatening to kill them if they didn't release him.

Poor planning all around and I predict this will be the "ayotzinapa" of this government in so many levels.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Soooo...Chile's on fire (your defense is terrified). Brazil really had the lamest bus fare protests ever, huh.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/biobio/status/1185405978587684864?s=19

56 cops injured in protests, people set fire to 19 train stops and maybe also a building?

Dias fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 19, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
lol at the sicarios wearing payday 2 masks godspeed mexico, i hope the usa will stop funding the narcostate someday

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ArfJason posted:

lol at the sicarios wearing payday 2 masks godspeed mexico, i hope the usa will stop funding the narcostate someday

that's necessary and urgent but not sufficient, a la how repealing Prohibition didn't gut American organized crime

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh yeah absolutely but northamerica loving with mexico especially being its number one market is one of the biggest contributors to the hosed up going ons there, right?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
It was pretty cool how a few weeks ago they were trying to decide which country would keep El Chapo's money and most of the internet was full of americans saying america should keep it because they were the real victims.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Dias posted:

Soooo...Chile's on fire (your defense is terrified). Brazil really had the lamest bus fare protests ever, huh.

56 cops injured in protests, people set fire to 19 train stops and maybe also a building?

Who gives a gently caress about the pacos culiaos when they’ve shot protesters. Rumors were on Twitter last night that one student might have died, but nothing official. It’s absolutely unbelievable the level of pacos that they had stationed in metros

https://twitter.com/rodriosgodoy/status/1185262182965092353?s=21

Now they’ve closed the metro all weekend, activated the law designed to fight terrorists, and declared the first post-Pinochet state of emergency that’s doesn’t involve a natural disaster. All of this in the context of Piñi having dinner in a high-class restaurant.

https://twitter.com/dj_gandalf/status/1185358412495888384?s=21

There was a fire in the HQ of the main electric company, Enel, but it was only the fire escape that really burned (lol).

https://twitter.com/vanitodelterror/status/1185358775609450496?s=21

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol at General Iturriaga saying that "there won't be a curfew... yet. We'll see."
Also Rubilar almost crying last night because of protesters "destroying" Santiago.

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 19, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Det_no posted:

It was pretty cool how a few weeks ago they were trying to decide which country would keep El Chapo's money and most of the internet was full of americans saying america should keep it because they were the real victims.

How the gently caress was America a victim? They were the valued customer, for gently caress sake!

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/eamestoy/status/1185560789069029378
https://twitter.com/JorgitoCorleone/status/1185560138335379457

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 19, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Redczar posted:

Who gives a gently caress about the pacos culiaos when theyve shot protesters. Rumors were on Twitter last night that one student might have died, but nothing official. Its absolutely unbelievable the level of pacos that they had stationed in metros

Oh, don't get me wrong, I was just illustrating what was going on, ACAB and all.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's pretty insane that they managed to make the Mexcian government release El Chapo's son.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's pretty insane that they managed to make the Mexcian government release El Chapo's son.

Not really. It does look bad but the reality is that a single narco could have broken into any mall or plaza and gunned down dozens of civilians with impunity. That could have been repeated over and over until authorities caved in because there's just no way to station troops EVERYWHERE nor have them effectively take down threats before something bad happened. It's simply impossible to predict and protect the civilian population from attacks like that regardless of resources or manpower available. Decades of mass shootings and terrorist attacks all over the world have proven as much.

While it certainly shows weakness from the state it was also the best move available to protect its citizens given the circumstances. If anything it was good that both sides were able and willing to descalate the situation and I think it goes to show that you really can't just go and kill the narcos in the streets because you have many people that can get caught in the crossfire. You need to attack them as an institution and dismantle them in other ways.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think it's safe to say that the decision to release Chapo's son was probably the correct one in the situation, but the fact that the situation reached a point where that was the correct choice is really, really hosed up. Like, failed state levels of hosed up. The government of Mexico has failed to exercise sovereign power over Culiacan, in a very real sense it can be said they no longer control it. They may exercise certain elements of sovereignty, but evidently only at the pleasure of the cartels.

Best available choice or not, that's absolutely shocking.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
this is literally going to be the only thing Piñi will be remembered for, lol

But seriously this is loving unbelievable. Public disorder on the level seen during the initial protests was hardly a rarity in Santiago (hell, I don't even think this was the first call to evade the subway fare this year?) but whoever got the brilliant idea to pre-emptively fill every subway station to the brim with pacos pretty much guaranteed things would escalate. The government (both Piñera's and the previous administrations, it should be said) looking the other way in innumerable cases of high-level corruption and embezzlement (including Piñera's own tax dodging) but turning the entire capital into a GTA 5-stars wanted level for 800 pesos is not a good look.
The high concentration of unbelievably tone-deaf statements by public officials during the last week certainly didn't help things, either. But, honestly, up to this point? None of this was new. It wasn't a huge difference from 2011 or other years. But calling the army... it almost feels like a comically desperate last-ditch attempt at preventing the entire far right flank of Chile Vamos' voter base from defecting to Kast.

I'm feeling pretty grim about the whole thing because people are getting shot and I don't see this having a happy ending. We'll have to wait and see.

e: aaand Piñera announced the suspension of the fare hikes less than 12 hours after saying there was no way to do it so please don't ask. good to know this all could have been avoided if he'd finished his pizza a little quicker

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 19, 2019

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

For outsiders to understand what we mean by tone deaf, when they just announced the raise, the minister of finance came out to say that we shouldn’t complain, because for all the romantics out there, the price of flowers had dropped

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

It’s not even the best pizza joint in that area, smh

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Temaukel posted:

lol at General Iturriaga saying that "there won't be a curfew... yet. We'll see."

Shockingly, he’s only gone and done it.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

:rip:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Redczar posted:

For outsiders to understand what we mean by tone deaf, when they just announced the raise, the minister of finance came out to say that we shouldn’t complain, because for all the romantics out there, the price of flowers had dropped
Don't forget he also said you can save money by getting up early to avoid rush hour.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Seems the Chilean government is responding to the widespread crisis and people's protests by meeting with the owners of supermarket chains that suffered "looting"

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Other things the government has done to confront the crisis:
-Ignore what the protests are really about, and think freezing the price increase will solve everything
-Make it illegal to go outside after 7pm
-Speak of all protestors as if they were criminals
-Kill people

Redczar fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 21, 2019

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Well, Latin America's having quite a year huh?

vvv :ughh:

Freezer fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 21, 2019

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nice one Piñi. Now I truly feel safe.
https://twitter.com/RojaasJonatan/status/1186099749667164161

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

PT6A posted:

I think it's safe to say that the decision to release Chapo's son was probably the correct one in the situation, but the fact that the situation reached a point where that was the correct choice is really, really hosed up. Like, failed state levels of hosed up. The government of Mexico has failed to exercise sovereign power over Culiacan, in a very real sense it can be said they no longer control it. They may exercise certain elements of sovereignty, but evidently only at the pleasure of the cartels.

Best available choice or not, that's absolutely shocking.

This whole shitshow was a governmental failure, but again you have to consider what level of government was the one that failed. That the whole operation didn't consider things like having back-up or alerting the police and federal forces to be on alert around their bases and housing while this was going down makes me think that it's a STATE government failure. It's not hard to assume that someone on that level didn't want to share the prestige of capturing such a high-profile target with the Federal (AMLO) government, so they acted with the forces they had at hand. Also, that the operation got stalled because they didn't have the warrant doesn't seem like something that would've happened with proper federal involvement.

There's the fact of how quickly the narcos responded to the situation. It would seem that someone gave them a heads-up that one of their guys was at risk.

If I wanted to put on my tinfoil hat, it would also seem to be highly suspicious that this gently caress-up happened at the same time AMLO was celebrating the start of the Santa Lucia airport works, after all the right--wingers attempts to block it.

In the end, it's not like all those armed criminals sprung up from nowhere on December 2018. I believe it's telling that now, instead of going with bribes to the authorities to delay the operation or paying the guards at the jail to "sleep" while their prisoner got away, that they esentially hit the panic button and went all-out violence in the streets. Either they don't have those options as available as before, or they have their own incompetent rear end in a top hat in charge of counter-operations.

Edit: Just read on the news that the DEA had a reunion just one month prior with the Sinaloa Governor. And he was asking for more money for security and that his state got out of the no-visit list for Americans. My money is on him being the idiot directly responsible for the whole shitshow.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 21, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

ArfJason posted:

oh yeah absolutely but northamerica loving with mexico especially being its number one market is one of the biggest contributors to the hosed up going ons there, right?

this is such a weird issue, because the need to create a legalized are regulated trade in cocaine seems so obvious to me, but there doesn't seem anyway to talk about it.

While the USA clearly deserves a lot of blame for working to internationalize the drug war, when everyone else has for so long taken basically the same position. Like if the government of Mexico were allowed to set US drug policy, what would they change? My suspicion is that given the chance Mexico's leaders would keep it exactly the same, only increased anti-narcotics cash assistance to Mexico. As in the US, Mexican politicians are being dragged kicking and screaming towards legalizing cannabis, and they are a bit ahead of the yankees when it comes to decriminalizing drugs, but there haven't been any changes that might actually reduce the profits of traffickers.

Even if there are forces driving violence besides drug trafficking, studies by the Cato Institute have already found decrease in crime inside the USA along the California border following marijuana legalization. I don't think they measured effects in Mexico but it would be reasonable to expect parallel decrease in violence on the other side. Attacking the other big revenue streams of the cartels seems like the most powerful intervention we could make against them, but nobody's even willing to talk about it.

zerozerozero
Sep 7, 2017
My parents left Chile in the 70s after the coup d'etat and I grew up hearing about all sorts of horrific and terrifying things that happened to them and people they knew, leaving me, in a sense, fairly afraid of Chile, at least of what can happen politically. A couple years ago I moved here and saw that it was actually a pretty nice place to live and have enjoyed my time here, despite the lovely salaries. But no place is perfect, as I've come to learn living across Africa and Europe, so I just took it on the chin and tried to make the best of things.

Needless to say this weekend has left me really shaken and brought up all sorts of lifelong fears. After this psychological link I have between Chile, torture and desaparecidos, the events of these last few days, and whatever is yet to come, has left me quite afraid of even leaving my flat.

But outside I must go, as Saturday is grocery day and boy was that bad timing, and a man cannot live on Ubereats alone.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How the hell did Chile fall into either dictatorship or civil war in the space of a week? :psyduck:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Kal-L posted:

This whole shitshow was a governmental failure, but again you have to consider what level of government was the one that failed. That the whole operation didn't consider things like having back-up or alerting the police and federal forces to be on alert around their bases and housing while this was going down makes me think that it's a STATE government failure. It's not hard to assume that someone on that level didn't want to share the prestige of capturing such a high-profile target with the Federal (AMLO) government, so they acted with the forces they had at hand. Also, that the operation got stalled because they didn't have the warrant doesn't seem like something that would've happened with proper federal involvement.

Wasn't the arrest unplanned? They just happened to run into him while searching a house and arrested him.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Grouchio posted:

How the hell did Chile fall into either dictatorship or civil war in the space of a week? :psyduck:

I see you're new here

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Grouchio posted:

It's not quite there yet, but the govt is sure trying to make it that way.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/Vistacha/status/1185686801807282181

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Good, clear, decisive leadership

https://twitter.com/chumisj/status/1186243310366740480?s=21