Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
It's probably like the people that insisted on calling the Game Boy the DMG (dot-matrix game) because that's what it was called in Nintendo's internal supply catalogs or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Doesn’t help that Sony released the baby PSOne late in its lifecycle too

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I used to see people say psx but I never understood where they got it. I woupd say PS like some scrub n00b.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Wasn't psx its codename in production or something like that?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

spaceblancmange posted:

I'm fairly certain this is the case. It always bothered me even back then that certain magazines always referred to it as the PSX went that wasn't the name of the console.

I'll have to dig through some boxes to find my old Game Players magazines which are 90s as all hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

And the GameCube was the GCN

https://www.ign.com/articles/2000/12/13/the-name-game

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

spaceblancmange posted:

It makes sense considering the Play Station (two words) was the name of the super nintendo CD addon Sony was developing with Nintendo until they got shafted and went their own way.

Tack on the X and its their "2nd" prototype/console in a way.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sony had a thing for that weird naming stuff. PSX stood for Playstation Experimental. The marketing push also had "Are you E?" everywhere with the "e" being red colored so it meant "are you ready?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You're all forgetting the radical Xtreme 90's factor, my dudes and dudettes. :dukedog:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
My first thought was well they're not gonna call it the PS1 when the PS2 doesn't exist yet and apart from GB and SNES everything else was 3 letter abbreviations (NES, Gen, MSX, Sat).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Pneub posted:

It's probably like the people that insisted on calling the Game Boy the DMG (dot-matrix game) because that's what it was called in Nintendo's internal supply catalogs or something like that.

How do you know this? Do you have a friend whose cousin's uncle on the mom's side works for Nintendo?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

Sony had a thing for that weird naming stuff. PSX stood for Playstation Experimental. The marketing push also had "Are you E?" everywhere with the "e" being red colored so it meant "are you ready?"

I remember the market push saying "You are not ready" with the big red e, although they did pronounce it more like "red e"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I remember seeing "URNOTE"

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I don't think I ever called it PSX, nor heard it called PSX, though in both cases I'm referring to verbally. "PlayStation" is just as many syllables.

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Doesn’t help that Sony released the baby PSOne late in its lifecycle too
and then later a PSX

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

wesleywillis posted:

How do you know this? Do you have a friend whose cousin's uncle on the mom's side works for Nintendo?

I kept running into people online that always had to explain the stupid reason why they refused to just call it a Game Boy everytime it came up and no one knew what they were talking about.

Pneub has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Oct 18, 2019

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

The original game boy does have "MODEL NO. DMG-01" embossed on the back. I don't know if "dot matrix game" is a backronym :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gateway was everywhere in the 90s, ads being constantly shown on TV with the cows and stuff. I always wondered what happened to them, figured they were just victoms of changing market places, but NOPE they were shady as fuuuuuuuuck.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
explain. I never owned a Gateway, so I dunno

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Randaconda posted:

explain. I never owned a Gateway, so I dunno

A bunch of their top execs were indicted on security fraud, plus their payment plants were full of hidden costs and penalties.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They also bought eMachines. Who the gently caress would buy eMachines.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

When I think of eMachines, I think of this:

I don't know precisely how the 'never obsolete' worked but I'm guessing it's similar to a mobile phone plan where you upgrade every so often.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

When I think of eMachines, I think of this:

I don't know precisely how the 'never obsolete' worked but I'm guessing it's similar to a mobile phone plan where you upgrade every so often.

Looks like (from the sticker) $20 a month and you can pay $99 every two years to trade in and upgrade. So $569 every two years to get a new computer.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Looks like (from the sticker) $20 a month and you can pay $99 every two years to trade in and upgrade. So $569 every two years to get a new computer.

They were shitboxes.

Much like any PC or Mac back in that day.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gateway, at one point, had loving stores to sell their poo poo, iirc.

It's kind of wild to know that in the pre-mid 90s, if you had a PC it was just as likely to be some no-name rando brand you picked up somehow as it was an IBM.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Gateway was everywhere in the 90s, ads being constantly shown on TV with the cows and stuff. I always wondered what happened to them, figured they were just victoms of changing market places, but NOPE they were shady as fuuuuuuuuck.

My first laptop was a Gateway. No doubt that the cows were a selling point.

The hard drive died on it within a few months, but their customer service was nice and put in a new one for free. I fried so many modems on it. If lightning struck within seemingly 100 miles of it when it was plugged it, it blew. Finally started buying cheap external ones at Walmart. Lightning fried them, too. It also had a weird glitch that if you put the thing on battery power for more than a minute or two, it'd freeze up. You had to take the battery out or let the power run out on the computer to start over to use it again.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
The last laptop I bought (my employers bought me the next one) was a Gateway. But it turned out they had already merged with Acer. And the less said about Dell the better.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sir Lemming posted:

I remember seeing "URNOTE"

I had a t-shirt with this slogan on it and I miss it dearly. That and my Conker’s BFD shirt showing “shh, Conker is taking a nap” with him passed out in a toilet.

Still have my Dreamcast preorder shirt though. :unsmith:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The last laptop I bought (my employers bought me the next one) was a Gateway. But it turned out they had already merged with Acer. And the less said about Dell the better.

Dude you're getting a Dell!!

I remember getting computers in the 90s as you'd go to a store and a bunch of nerds would build it for you based on specs and price you wanted. Which is why my first pentium was a 120 and not a 133.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Movie chat:

This is one of my favorite movies, Highschool High.
https://youtu.be/oLf2PusBhFQ?t=4

Its a parody of all the "Inspirational teacher" movies from the late 80s, and early 90s. Its kind of what I call, a "disposable comedy", since a lot of the jokes reference contemporary (OJ simpson, Marion Barry) news or pop culture (Mike Tyson's book) from the times, but over all I think theres enough visual gags and "regular" jokes that its still good for laughs 25 years later even if there are a number of references that you would have had to be old enough at the time to really get them. .

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mu Zeta posted:

They also bought eMachines. Who the gently caress would buy eMachines.
Technically they bought eMachines, but when they did the head guy (s?) of emachines ran the company. Didn’t matter much, by that point they were basically a brand name for Foxconn, who was building most of the computers (largely in Mexico).

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I remember it being called a psx only after the psOne had been released, but that could be just because when the playstation came out in 94 I wasn't old enough to argue about it online.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

wesleywillis posted:

Movie chat:

This is one of my favorite movies, Highschool High.
https://youtu.be/oLf2PusBhFQ?t=4

Its a parody of all the "Inspirational teacher" movies from the late 80s, and early 90s. Its kind of what I call, a "disposable comedy", since a lot of the jokes reference contemporary (OJ simpson, Marion Barry) news or pop culture (Mike Tyson's book) from the times, but over all I think theres enough visual gags and "regular" jokes that its still good for laughs 25 years later even if there are a number of references that you would have had to be old enough at the time to really get them. .

I imagine it was really easy for Jon Lovitz to play a clueless white guy dealing with inner city youth because he could just go sit in the writer's room for a few minutes every so often.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just remembered this song out of the blue yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2qEwePLQgI

Other than the singer's haricut/shirt combo, it's actually an amusing video! Especially for what I assume was an extremely low budget.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

They were shitboxes.

Much like any PC or Mac back in that day.

Compared to today, yes.

The thing is prior to Windows 95 computers were considered a tool, and a ton of people were terrified of them, so they didn't really need to evolve beyond being a shitbox. You didn't need a lot of power to type up some documents, or play Commander Keen.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LruIZwlTyBk

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

namlosh posted:

Wait, maybe I’m not SO dumb...

I was a friends and I listened to a lot of phish in college. There was definitely a live concert version of gin and juice by phish that was not the gourds version. They were just messing around on stage and played the song.

Either way, I get it now. I had forgotten about the gourds version

If I can find the actual phish version I’m talking about, maybe I’ll post it.

...it could also be the Mandela effect :tinfoil:

According to phish.net, Phish has never played Gin and Juice in concert.

They have played Gettin' Jiggy Wit' It, though.

EDIT: I now realize that this was from a long time ago...

empty baggie has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Oct 25, 2019

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled.

It was a time of darkness.

It was a world of fear.

It was the age of gargoyles.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Seldom Posts posted:

Just remembered this song out of the blue yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2qEwePLQgI

Other than the singer's haricut/shirt combo, it's actually an amusing video! Especially for what I assume was an extremely low budget.

Wait, is the extra singer who raps wearing one of those Proud Boy polos? I think he is, those double yellow stripes and the laurel on the breast. I had no idea those shirts were out in the wild.

I cannot remember what reminded me of this, but there was a point when nerds were talking about Arrested Development and I thought they were talking about the early 90s Hip Hop collective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_4Y7Cei_bw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyDjRd0Tjss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VCdJyOAQYM

Oh wait, someone was talking about the scene in Venture Bros were 24 brings up what he thinks is the ghost of Baba O'Jay and was confused by the scene. I remember in the early 90s this was super popular, but I guess the rise of edgier Rap and Hip Hop especially Gangsta Rap killed this positive, socially aware and lo fi stuff? In the mid of the 90s things did get harder, more aggressive and you saw this kind of stuff vanish.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, is the extra singer who raps wearing one of those Proud Boy polos? I think he is, those double yellow stripes and the laurel on the breast. I had no idea those shirts were out in the wild.

Pretty sure they just buy Fred Perry polos in black and yellow, you just didn't notice them until they became a uniform and not a random black polo.

I think lately they've had their own branded ones made up though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Trabant posted:

One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled.

It was a time of darkness.

It was a world of fear.

It was the age of gargoyles.

I see that, and raise you

AND THEN, FROM THE FIELD OF THE FUTURE

A NEW KING WILL COME, TO SAVE THE WORLD OF THE PAST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USUucZVnno0