Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

well i guess i just love poo poo then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Gotta love fetch quests.

A_Account
Nov 29, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I know about the seal and stuff being a Japan nerd but is it a requirement a lot of the time or can you just sign stuff if, for instance, you forget it? I get keeping with tradition but I think I'd just forget to bring it unless I had my man bag with me and end up signing stuff anyway.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I'm having a hard time picturing what this lump thing on his head is supposed to be. Is it a patch of no hair? A protrusion?

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I'm having a hard time picturing what this lump thing on his head is supposed to be. Is it a patch of no hair? A protrusion?

Bald spot/scar from the prison fight iirc

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
How long was he in jail for? I forget. I'm confused about what year it's supposed to be, since when it started it seemed like present day and now he seems old and haggard and it's still the present day. Was it just five years but he's got that thing where he comes out of serving time looking all grey even tho it was brief?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mr. Steak posted:

i will unabashedly claim that every aspect of this comic is lovely

Oh I agree it's all terrible...

except for the translation!!!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Miss posted:

well i guess i just love poo poo then

Same, brother. Same.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I actually don't think it's that bad, the art is MSpaint-y but much better than most webcomics and the story is weirdly compelling in the sense of presenting a bastard who you really hate but end up kinda feeling sorry for

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

the art reminds me of ONE (the mob psycho 100 and original One Punch Man comics person) in that superficially the style seems amateurish but the composition is actually very well done and it lends a kind of flavor to the story that more competent art would not

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Sprue posted:

How long was he in jail for? I forget. I'm confused about what year it's supposed to be, since when it started it seemed like present day and now he seems old and haggard and it's still the present day. Was it just five years but he's got that thing where he comes out of serving time looking all grey even tho it was brief?

I think it was 10 years. So NEET is like 40 and it's probably around 2018 in the comic I think?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also like ONE's work a lot of people are gonna look at the superficial elements and be immediately turned off. Obviously not the freaks who are following this though, such as myself

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

I somehow knew he was going to end up with Fukui on his shortlist

Ah the good old Baka Inaka

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Gay baby jail...?
What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...

The Aquabot
Sep 25, 2004

A_Account posted:

I know about the seal and stuff being a Japan nerd but is it a requirement a lot of the time or can you just sign stuff if, for instance, you forget it? I get keeping with tradition but I think I'd just forget to bring it unless I had my man bag with me and end up signing stuff anyway.

You need it for like official documents and poo poo, but I just sign for packages and things usually.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Incidentally, Korea still uses the stamps too. So it's not just a Japan traditional thing.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Elukka posted:

It's like his style is being kinda poo poo, in the scribbly MS Paint way. He's not actually, and the hand thing stood out to me too because hand are hard as hell to draw and many artists will avoid doing that.

poo poo-chic.

Yeah, this. Like, kinda... Have you ever heard the band Pavement? A lot of their stuff sounds ugly on purpose. That's why I'm kinda into it.

What I'm saying is ugly stuff is cool.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
man, the comic is kinda just sad now. not really funny or ridiculous anymore.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aristobulus posted:

man, the comic is kinda just sad now. not really funny or ridiculous anymore.

agreed (about this arc, at least). honestly, the discussion/jokes in this thread have considerably elevated my enjoyment of the comic, and im super glad im doing it this way

well, also it's funny that the comic became such a downer as punishment to you for expecting the crime route to be fun and games

edit: i will absolutely advocate for making something intentionally unenjoyable, as a "gently caress you" to fans. see: homestuck epilogues, or to a certain extent the evangelion rebuild movies

edit edit: the entire movie Funny Games is an extended "gently caress you for enjoying this type of movie, you loving losers". i love that sort of aggressive, anti-audience crap

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 19, 2019

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Oh man, Funny Games was legitimately painful to watch. I wouldn't classify NEET's criminal arc as anti-audience, though. It's a sad story about a dumb loser, but there's some very clear positive character development.

At least it seems that way so far. Maybe Tohru ends up starving to death in a gutter while clutching a small photo of his parents.

A_Account
Nov 29, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Funny Games is great to watch but I always hate myself afterwards for watching either version. Is it anti-audience or.just bizarre and dark though? Hadnt thought of it being so.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

A_Account posted:

Funny Games is great to watch but I always hate myself afterwards for watching either version. Is it anti-audience or.just bizarre and dark though? Hadnt thought of it being so.

Pretty sure the movie straight up breaks the fourth wall to make this clear

A_Account
Nov 29, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Devils Affricate posted:

Pretty sure the movie straight up breaks the fourth wall to make this clear

Do they do this in both versions? Haven't watched either in many years.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Blade Runner posted:

I actually don't think it's that bad, the art is MSpaint-y but much better than most webcomics and the story is weirdly compelling in the sense of presenting a bastard who you really hate but end up kinda feeling sorry for

Reminds me of ONE (creator of One Punch Man) in that the art

Mr. Lobe posted:

the art reminds me of ONE (the mob psycho 100 and original One Punch Man comics person) in that superficially the style seems amateurish but the composition is actually very well done and it lends a kind of flavor to the story that more competent art would not

yeah that

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

A_Account posted:

Do they do this in both versions? Haven't watched either in many years.

Not sure about the original, only watched the Naomi Watts version. After doing something particularly heinous, one of the antagonists turns to camera and says something like "are you pleased with this? Have you had enough yet?" Also I think the director himself stated this as the intention of the movies.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I love me some gen x miserable navelgazing (I mean, goon), I'm lapping it up.

It reminds me of Ghost World, or Adrian Tomine's stuff. But with more Gay Baby Jail.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey, sorry for missing a day.

ive got a surprise for you later.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
I hope it's a bad surprise

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

The surprise is you have translated the rest of the arc, isn't it?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hot Stunt posted:

The surprise is you have translated the rest of the arc, isn't it?

lol dont get your hopes up

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The surprise is that Mr. Steak has been dead the whole time!!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daily Life of a
Oct 20, 2019

SURPRISE!!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
:vince:

I like this surprise.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

young tohru!!! un-neeting his neet!!

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

:dance:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Story-wise those PT panels actually almost fit pretty well as the next panels for the criminal arc.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ill update them both once a day, but my priority is the criminal arc, so expect more lengthy updates on that side