Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Meme deck top 8

Free Hong Kong

Revolution of our age

Rooting for him to win tomorrow just to see him wear a mask and talk about HK during the winner's interview and watch how Wizards handles the exact same situation as Blizzard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

qbert posted:

Rooting for him to win tomorrow just to see him wear a mask and talk about HK during the winner's interview and watch how Wizards handles the exact same situation as Blizzard.

I would be shocked if they let him cover his face tomorrow.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

This is normal for him and WotC has been letting him do it for some time.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Toshimo posted:

I know it's the cool goon meme to poo poo on literally everything because it makes you look edgy and cool, but Arena is better and more stable that MTGO has ever been at any point in its development.

Do the majority of players experience significant issues playing Arena? No.

lol you literally need to restart the client every 45 minutes to make it functional.

there are a million reasons you can poo poo on mtgo but "unstable" is not one of them

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Right after today's matches ended all the commentators took a few minutes to go "where are the Golos decks in top 8 lololololol who said standard is bad right now?"

:rolleyes:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Look, you're all tryhard baddie netdecker casuals, but just remember - you're all great human beings compared to Tron players.

Crackbone posted:

Right after today's matches ended all the commentators took a few minutes to go "where are the Golos decks in top 8 lololololol who said standard is bad right now?"

:rolleyes:

I'm guessing there's 7 out of 8 Golos decks in 9th-16th?

good ol' 4 Oko 4 Nissa in 4/8 of the top 8.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So did Ken Yukihiro almost punt game 3 vs Juza by waiting till eot to noxious grasp the deputy of detention? If he had done it in response to Tolsimir's fight (which isn't a may) he would have eaten the wolf and attacked for lethal the next turn rather than sweating topdecks for several more turns later.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Dehtraen posted:

Interviewer mistakenly saying Andrea Mengucci is from Spain to Javier Dominguez in a post match interview and then being immediately corrected in an awkward manner... :911: doin’ us proud coverage team
I was curious
https://www.twitch.tv/magic/clip/MuddyFreezingGoatPlanking

Day9 also forgot Mengu's name., poor mengu

https://www.twitch.tv/magic/clip/TransparentImpossibleMageImGlitch

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I fuckin LOVE that I can search for longer than I’ve searched for anything for the past few years and cannot find the top 8 deck lists. It’s should take exactly one google search. It’s also possible that I’ve missed it, but what the fuuucckk

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does Standard fire at any of your LGSs? At mine, FNM is always draft with 8-16 people, Modern is lucky to get 8, and Standard never fires as a sanctioned event but sometimes they get 4 people and do 3 rounds round-robin.
Saturday mornings they do a free-entry Standard event for promo-pack only prizes that gets like 6 people usually.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

Does Standard fire at any of your LGSs? At mine, FNM is always draft with 8-16 people, Modern is lucky to get 8, and Standard never fires as a sanctioned event but sometimes they get 4 people and do 3 rounds round-robin.
Saturday mornings they do a free-entry Standard event for promo-pack only prizes that gets like 6 people usually.

Move to a city, friend.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

meanolmrcloud posted:

I fuckin LOVE that I can search for longer than I’ve searched for anything for the past few years and cannot find the top 8 deck lists. It’s should take exactly one google search. It’s also possible that I’ve missed it, but what the fuuucckk

The ESports website is somehow more broken and harder to navigate than their original regular one.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Move to a city, friend.

Yeah, I'm in the "city" for Northern Ontario my dude. I'd have to move like 1000km to be somewhere more happening for Magic.
When I got back into Magic in like 2011 Standard was the only FNM format and it was routine to get like 20-25 people out for it. It really feels like it's died.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Hellsau posted:

Look, you're all tryhard baddie netdecker casuals, but just remember - you're all great human beings compared to Tron players.

I'm guessing there's 7 out of 8 Golos decks in 9th-16th?

good ol' 4 Oko 4 Nissa in 4/8 of the top 8.

Actually... There's 8.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

I had to use MTGGoldfish. They have all the lists but don't have place numbers for anyone out of top 8.

Niton posted:

Actually... There's 8.

wait seriously?

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Hellsau posted:

wait seriously?

Yep. 9th-16th are all Golos decks, 5 Bant, 2 Fires builds, 1 4 Color.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Yep. 9th-16th are all Golos decks, 5 Bant, 2 Fires builds, 1 4 Color.

lol so Golos fuckin' overperformed its share of the metagame into the top 16? How many of the players who had byes into the day 2 were on Golos? I know Ben Stark was on Weaselback Redcap Knights, were all the others on Golos?

e: welp found the standings, they're not in the giant STANDINGS section on the banner that sticks to the top of the magic.gg page, but Field of the Dead is going away Monday and probably Oko or Nissa too.

https://www.magic.gg/news/mtg-arena-mythic-v-day-two-round-7-standings

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 20, 2019

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sickening posted:

He literally talked about hong kong with his face covered on camera, today. This isn't the first time either.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Hellsau posted:

lol so Golos fuckin' overperformed its share of the metagame into the top 16? How many of the players who had byes into the day 2 were on Golos? I know Ben Stark was on Weaselback Redcap Knights, were all the others on Golos?

MPL players are the ones with byes, right? It looks 9 MPL players registered something other than Golos or Food.

If you want a funnier statistic: Every single player that 5-x'd day 1 played either Golos or a T2 Oko deck, and only 3 of the 24 advancing players played a deck that contained neither Golos or Oko.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Niton posted:

MPL players are the ones with byes, right? It looks 9 MPL players registered something other than Golos or Food.

If you want a funnier statistic: Every single player that 5-x'd day 1 played either Golos or a T2 Oko deck, and only 3 of the 24 advancing players played a deck that contained neither Golos or Oko.
only 4 players got byes, the top ones from the last MPL split - Lee Shi Tian, Ben Stark, Seth Manfield and Carlos Romao.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Niton posted:

There's four divisions of MPL players, and the winners of each section got a bye into day 2. I don't know how to find out who got the byes, and also I don't care because Field must be banned and something else green likely should be banned.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

I'm surprised that they didn't tell Tian to shut up on stream about the HK stuff. is wotc just too small potatoes for China to give a poo poo about? They've clearly been trying to gain market share recently over there with stuff like the global series decks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Retromancer posted:

I'm surprised that they didn't tell Tian to shut up on stream about the HK stuff. is wotc just too small potatoes for China to give a poo poo about? They've clearly been trying to gain market share recently over there with stuff like the global series decks.

Exactly what I was thinking. WOTC doesn't strike me as the kind of company that would ignore china telling them to knock it off or else. I would think that nobody has notified anyone yet.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Entropic posted:

Ours does, only because we bring 3 people, and the place runs it with 4-6 people. It loving feels horrible compared to the "good old days" where we would have 20+.

I'm old. :smith:

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Sickening posted:

Exactly what I was thinking. WOTC doesn't strike me as the kind of company that would ignore china telling them to knock it off or else. I would think that nobody has notified anyone yet.

A little while ago they were being really careful referring to Taiwan as Chinese Taipei, so they’re either messing up or there’s been a policy change

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
For those people in the thread who don't have an encyclopedic history of Magic The Gathering, Lee Shi Tian, Taiwan, and Wizards of the Coast, this is a Certified Good Read:

What's in a Name? – Lee Shi Tian and the Umbrella Revolution --- By Adrienne Reynolds

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Mae posted:

A little while ago they were being really careful referring to Taiwan as Chinese Taipei, so they’re either messing up or there’s been a policy change

Chinese Taipei is the name China and Taiwan mutually agreed Taiwan would compete under for international events, do that one isn't really a controversy.
I'm amazed at this threads ability to see a good thing and immediately start taking about how it will become bad. If WotC screws this up then react, but let's enjoy it while it's good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

neaden posted:

Chinese Taipei is the name China and Taiwan mutually agreed Taiwan would compete under for international events, do that one isn't really a controversy.

Ignoring your weird Chinese apologia, at the time, the team registered itself as Team Taiwan, and Wizards forced them to change it to remain in the event. So, yes, it was a controversy, and no, the Taiwanese aren't stoked about the whole thing.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Toshimo posted:

Ignoring your weird Chinese apologia, at the time, the team registered itself as Team Taiwan, and Wizards forced them to change it to remain in the event. So, yes, it was a controversy, and no, the Taiwanese aren't stoked about the whole thing.

I'm sorry I phrased that poorly. The Chinese Taipei issue isn't free from controversy, but it is the name that Taiwan agreed to go by for international competitions. My second point of the something good was in reference to LSTs protest and Wizards handling of it so far, which at the present I think WotC has done a good job with. That wasn't clear in my first post, for which I apologise.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

As the only person here who has hung out socially with several people who were on Chinese Taipei magic world cup teams, I assure you they don't like the name

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Neat that he made it to the top 8 again.

Wotc is probably wary of repeating the blitzchung Hearthstone controversy. Maybe they'd have been fine with the mask regardless, but I imagine the fear of backlash was not a non factor.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm hoping Wizards lets the format shake out a bit and only bans Field. Honestly I don't think there's a lack of answers to Oko (and Nissa for that matter), it's just any shell that holds them gets wrecked by Field decks. Elderspell, Angrath's Rampage, Bedevil, and Murderous Rider are all pretty good answers but the Black/Blue/Red stuff that wants to play those cards pretty much folds to Field. Even messing around with Sultai for Assassin's Trophy doesn't help deal with Field since usually you just end up ramping them a bit and still dealing with 1-3 zombies. Get rid of Field and some of the black control answers become more viable.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I just took a swig of coffee and then paused a moment to wait for the client to catch up. In real life. :psylon:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm going to make a deck with Oko and T3feri. It can't possibly lose.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

pointsofdata posted:

I'm going to make a deck with Oko and T3feri. It can't possibly lose.

Put in Narset and Ashiok so your opponent can't draw, can't search and can't play instants as well. Planeswalker prison.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

ilmucche posted:

Put in Narset and Ashiok so your opponent can't draw, can't search and can't play instants as well. Planeswalker prison.

Better add some WAR Dovins to play it safe

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Entropic posted:

Our fnm standard is a free event that always seems to fire, usually 15-25 people every week I’ve been past two months. Not as well attended as Modern which seems like 20-30. Final round is pack to winner of evenly match pair ups and then prize pool + promos for top four. It’s gone to five rounds every time. Draft usually fires but only 7-11 people usually. Sometimes enough for two pods. PacNW city is population 160,000 or so.

A couple weeks back I was in another city in Texas and tried their fnm and their standard had an entry fee but it had enough people for four rounds.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 20, 2019

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

neaden posted:

I'm sorry I phrased that poorly. The Chinese Taipei issue isn't free from controversy, but it is the name that Taiwan agreed to go by for international competitions. My second point of the something good was in reference to LSTs protest and Wizards handling of it so far, which at the present I think WotC has done a good job with. That wasn't clear in my first post, for which I apologise.

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=466851

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Lmao I can't believe that guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
That guy is actually not wrong. The Taiwanese government itself also has problems with using the name "Taiwan", since their official name is Republic of China, and still claims to be the real China, and the name wouldn't represent the areas that are under Taiwanese authority but aren't in Taiwan itself.