Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Who the hell would be willing to take the job? Whoever's next will be more incompetent than the Mooch

https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1185903563433754624

This
https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1185909879887843328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/juddlegum/status/1185916136661114880?s=21

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

When Rick Scott wears his Navy hat it's gross enough, but least he was in the Navy.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

With regards to truck-chat, as someone who has friends in the industry, you wouldn't even need to get roads blocked.

Just getting a large group of truckers to just... go on strike and not truck would be enough to paralyze most cities in the US. US industries are soooooo dependent on trucks it's kinda scary. Most grocery stores would be out of fresh products in about a week, especially in areas like the Northeast/Midwest going into winter. And that's not even talking about poo poo like packages, medical supplies, etc.

And there is a massive dearth of truckers right now. Just like in most service industries, they are desperate to hire and were gutted by the heroin epidemic.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 20, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I know we are talking about someone who is a bootlick to president moron, but how dumb is this dude. I can believe his rear end is gone soon.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Turns out ol Mickey turned out to be the hand grenade.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Who needs an impeachment inquiry. Just stick these guys in front of a camera and ask them questions.

Kale
May 14, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is the whole "<insert enemy here> is going CRAZY!" a new thing for Trump? I feel like I'm seeing it a lot more lately.

It's a pretty common refrain by now. He's using a lot more of his classic lines lately because he's bitch tweeting more and more since his
"executive time" hours got extended. His jobs are essentially in order of priority tweeting, golfing, going to his own rallies, and occasionally exercising executive powers to enact pointless tariffs and destabilize regions with seemingly on purpose terrible foreign policy reversals from the Obama and Bush eras. That really does seem to be about the extent of it.

The whole Doral thing is another perfect example of just how loving utterly stupid the Trump Presidency is. It's almost like they announced it and retracted it just for "lib owning" potential never intending to go through with it, but just to put yet another thing that's nakedly corrupt and awful about his presidency out there. Like you can basically count on him to do or announce the most horrible policy poo poo possible on purpose any given day only to reverse course on half of it within a 48 hour period. Isn't it just great?

I feel like the rapid decline of any sense of stability in his presidency is a combination of firing everybody that kind of knew what they were doing and losing the House. Without competent civil servants and without a clear path to getting lovely Republican legislation passed he's just kind of content to watch it all burn if not throw the match on the gasoline fire himself from time to time.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 20, 2019

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I wonder if Mulvaney assumed Fox would let him lie without calling him on it, or if they purposefully gave him false confidence for the smack down .

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

eke out posted:

note that not only is this a lie, but it's not even the acting secretary of defense's name

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1185907415499378690

This must be the work of...Soros! :argh:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

With regards to truck-chat, as someone who has friends in the industry, you wouldn't even need to get roads blocked.

Just getting a large group of truckers to just... go on strike and not truck would be enough to paralyze most cities in the US. US industries are soooooo dependent on trucks it's kinda scary. Most grocery stores would be out of fresh products in about a week, especially in areas like the Northeast/Midwest going into winter. And that's not even talking about poo poo like packages, medical supplies, etc.

And there is a massive dearth of truckers right now. Just like in most service industries, they are desperate to hire and were gutted by the heroin epidemic.

You shut down trucking you basically collapse Amazon overnight.

I don’t much care for Andrew Yang but he was right in one of his interviews when he said that Trucker Drivers alone basically have the power to bring the country down if they ever organize nationally. The threat of Automation may just be enough to do that, one day.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

eke out posted:

note that not only is this a lie, but it's not even the acting secretary of defense's name

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1185907415499378690

esper got confirmed back in july

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is the whole "<insert enemy here> is going CRAZY!" a new thing for Trump? I feel like I'm seeing it a lot more lately.

Just more projection.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So when Mulvaney gets fired who is going to takeover his 13 different jobs?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Charlz Guybon posted:

America is just not that dense. Can we truly generate a critical mass when everyone is so spread out?

Think about logistics and supply chains not 3.5% of the population

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

if McSally loses in 2020, will she be the first person to lose elections for both of a state's senate seats?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Working at my company, the level of freak out a business has when lines go down and work stops is incredible. It's tremendous amount of pressure to manage through. Stopping a company's production line can also mean all the plant workers going home and not getting paid until the company can build something and we've faced difficulty with trucking as is in the industry to the point some companies have programs where they will pay a partnered college and people to go to school to be trained to be a truck driver then hire them out after they graduate and end up with their own little logistics division. The United States created an infrastructure meant to support the vehicle industry and spread everything out. Air is very expensive depending on size and weight.

Keep in mind too the Govt. shutdown was risking the airlines and thus not only commute but probably business logistics. When NYC was saying it would shut airports down, the shutdown ended right after. It's incredible leverage if that gets into risk.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

You could have a republican on tape saying 2 +2 = 5 and they'd still sit there not only saying they didn't say that, but that many people also believe that 2+2 is 5, and many maths have been based on it, and what about that time hillary made a mistake on that extremely complicated calculus problem? What about that? Besides, I already explained that I know 2+2 is 4.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Don't post this rear end in a top hat

I mean, horseguy (Twitter horseguy, not the VP) is absolutely an rear end in a top hat, but I think that he had a point there.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Lots of companies have things in their business contracts with other companies that say, “If we don’t deliver on time/keep call times below a limit/keep production or our demand for your services above a certain point, we’ll give you money.”
Industrial and commercial disruption is an effective way to damage multiple interests at once and can be done with such little manpower that it could be argued this realization has been kept from the average American to safeguard profits.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

ummel posted:

When Rick Scott wears his Navy hat it's gross enough, but least he was in the Navy.

Pretty sure that image is from when he is actually visiting the ship he's wearing the hat of. All Presidents do that.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

It would be cool if the culture in the United States allowed for those with a surplus to aid in financial support of those who wish to go on strike.

Solidarity for $500 Alex.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

evilweasel posted:

if McSally loses in 2020, will she be the first person to lose elections for both of a state's senate seats?

John James is poised to do the same thing in Michigan, he tried to unseat Stabenow last year, and he's declared to run against Gary Peters next year.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gyges posted:

Those are the same era as what originated the term Yellow Journalism. It's also why I mentioned the first newspapers of the US. If anything, Yellow Journalism was more fact based and informative than the newspapers of the founders.

Historically all news has been either outright propaganda or at the least highly biased towards the politics of the editors.

Now we're in an era that shifting the bias more and more towards simple monetary gain. However Muckraking and social reporting like Upton Sinclair was only allowed because it sold copy, and even then it was famously curtailed when it went against the interests of the publisher. For instance, Upton Sinclair's most famous works are novels that he wrote while working for smaller, ideological, newspapers.

There's a real mythology of the news where we pretend that it used to be good and unbiased and everyone got the same info. But that's just false memory of the mythologized Cronkite era. The News has always been biased and bad but sprinkled with occasional good journalism.

Reform and regulation would be quite nice, but we need to approach the issue with clear eyes instead of trying to roll things back to an era that never actually existed.

What you're missing here is that there used to be dozens of independent newspapers. Most households subscribed to two or more, in order to get some balance. After ther 1996 Telecommunicatoions Act, that wide perspective is gone. Three corporation own the lion's share of news media.

It was a highly competitive business, and while muck-raking sells a bit more copy, most newspapers were striving to print a fact-based reality, because people would come to depend on it, and retain a core subscriber base.

Also, it's not a false mythology. There were (and ostensibly remain) standards and practices for news. I was trained in those standards and practices when earning my BA in journalism in 1984. Stop tossing off the entire profession as "always biased," you're furthering the Fox News trope.

Broadcast media news departments were constantly at loggerheads with the upper management and the advertising folks.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Prester Jane posted:

I have spent my entire life fighting the system and specifically fighting the people/mindset that are presently destroying our nation. If you do not prove to the system that you are willing, capable, and prepared to hurt it- then no matter what else you do the system will still win.

Where do you work if you don't mind me asking?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

Who's going to run for her seat if she wins?

Ayanna Pressley would be good.

Clark and Moulton and Pressley probably.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

What you're missing here is that there used to be dozens of independent newspapers. Most households subscribed to two or more, in order to get some balance. After ther 1996 Telecommunicatoions Act, that wide perspective is gone. Three corporation own the lion's share of news media.

It was a highly competitive business, and while muck-raking sells a bit more copy, most newspapers were striving to print a fact-based reality, because people would come to depend on it, and retain a core subscriber base.

It also doesn’t help that starting around the mid 90s newspapers re-calibrated the price of their product to be “free, but with online ads” while simultaneously operating under the assumption that print would continue as a high margin product that would carry the business.

Edit: also I wish I could find that graph that plotted the advertising revenue of the entire newspaper industry against Facebook/Google and how they sucked the oxygen out of the room

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

evilweasel posted:

Maybe Beto if he gets his head out his rear end wrt running for President.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Edmund Lava posted:

Trying to run for a statewide office in Texas after coming out in support of mandatory gun buybacks would certainly be bold I’ll give him that.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Edmund Lava posted:

Beto's all in on VP.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

howe_sam posted:

John James is poised to do the same thing in Michigan, he tried to unseat Stabenow last year, and he's declared to run against Gary Peters next year.

...and he is probably going to lose, and lose again to Stabenow in 2024.

An immense joke of a candidate and campaign.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So when Mulvaney gets fired who is going to takeover his 13 different jobs?

Jared

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Pompeo's shook

https://twitter.com/adamweinstein/status/1185947146891288576?s=21

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
https://twitter.com/CrankyAssCajun/status/1185615938252611584?s=19

There are no words

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

For anybody here who doesn't particularly want to hear Secretary Pompeo speak, this clip is absolutely amazing. He literally freezes for a few seconds and pretends that he didn't hear what he was just asked.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Donald Trump said he was willing to let them use his golf course resort for the G7 at-cost, and not make a profit. Skipping over the fact that nobody believes he wouldn't still be profiting, doesn't making that offer at all mean Trump has abandoned the pretense that he's not still actively running his businesses? (Not that anyone truly believed that either) You don't get to offer special deals on services from a company you aren't in charge of.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

Where do you work if you don't mind me asking?

To be completely frank I don't have formal employment- I have schizoaffective disorder and have been formally declared disabled. (I won a mental health disability trial in Texas- which is not easy.) My experience fighting the system comes from being raised in (and in my teenage years rebelling against) a fundagelical cult that ran it's own (unaccredited but legal because of RFRA laws) k-12 school that taught nothing but Christian Dominionist propaganda.

About a decade back I fought an internal war at my employer (a major roller coaster park) for better conditions and to improve the abysmal state of employee housing- some rooms were unheated during an Ohio winter, bedbug outbreaks were common, the company packed us in like sardines and charged an amount of rent that (per sq foot) was equivalent to a high rise apartment in Seattle. (A portion of that fight played out on this board.) . To say nothing of the times I witnessed people left withput breaks in safety-related positions so long that they literally soiled themselves.

There is a bunch of other activism things I have played a role in (e.g. chanology, the Ron Paul march in WoW, outing the leader of the cult I was raised on as a child predator)- many of which I have to be rather circumspect in referencing.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 20, 2019

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

i am harry posted:

Industrial and commercial disruption is an effective way to damage multiple interests at once and can be done with such little manpower that it could be argued this realization has been kept from the average American to safeguard profits.
We've actually got a somewhat relevant look at what happens when a major global shipping/distribution/supply chain eats poo poo, thanks to NotPetya...

https://www.wired.com/story/notpetya-cyberattack-ukraine-russia-code-crashed-the-world/

The tl;dr is that it has significant costs but has not been enough to force the global corporate elite to meaningfully address the more complex core issues, and that normally unthinkable expenses are easily made once damages rise high enough.

The idea of a strike or slowdown disrupting critical infrastructure has long been attractive to those feeling shut out of power by the elites (freep thread regulars will recall the masturbatory fantasies and planning for a trucker convoy shutting down DC under Obama), but the flaw remains the same: the more essential the infrastructure, the further those in power will go to maintain/regain it.

A nationwide street blockade would be measured in hours, not weeks. General strikes will see wellcompensated scabs within a week-very few jobs are actually that essential. Aviation personnel are mostly excluded because of airline/political fears of the lasting impact of a high profile catastrophe... we've seen that there are no similar concerns about traffic fatalities.

The system is resilient. It can be fought, changed, adapted, and even fixed... but the idea that what's preventing these victories is a lack of will or desire is the same tedious :jerkbag: whether applied to congressional politics, local governance, or nationwide collective action. It's the flipside of the same coin as Sorkin's pablum, that the system(and/or media) will save us all, if only the levers of power were manned by intelligent and moral people.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Dammerung posted:

For anybody here who doesn't particularly want to hear Secretary Pompeo speak, this clip is absolutely amazing. He literally freezes for a few seconds and pretends that he didn't hear what he was just asked.

Just so we all know what domino's next to fall, Pompeo's position here is this: President Trump and his closest advisors released military aid to Ukraine based on their conclusion that Ukraine had taken steps to reduce corruption and, as a bonus, they at the same time realized that even though the EU wasn't sending Ukraine lethal aid, they were sending them non-lethal aid, so Trump's point about "Europe doesn't help you so much" can be explained away.

That's their "this isn't impeachable, see?" position that they're holding up for GOP congressmen to hide behind. It's thin, but it's there. Now we get to see who gets in front of a mic next week and blows it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
People who think general strikes would be effective in the US underestimate just how little regard the US government has for it's citizenry, and how good a job the ruling class has done of creating a scab class that will gladly take all the vacated jobs to keep everything running.

Those who can't be replaced will be "gently" encouraged at the barrel of a gun to return to work.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 20, 2019