Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wizzardstaff posted:

I think Avalon was the episode where I had the epiphany that G'kar resembles Handsome Squidward, which I am unable to unsee.

Wait, wha-....gently caress. You. I can't unsee it now either! :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Doctor Zero posted:

For some reason the scene where Garibaldi counts floors in the elevator is one of my favorites. No idea why. I just think it's clever.

There's an episode of The A-Team that had the exact same thing happen.

It's a neat little thing that thankfully barely gets used to show how clever or observant the characters are. I'm glad more writers don't use it, otherwise it'd stop being good.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Vord posted:

Also it's like ya'll forgot it's the episode where Marcus and Neroon fought.

No, we remember, that's why everyone is saying it has a good, and plot significant, B plot. But it does seem like they're from two different episodes.

I am stoked to see TraderStav's reactions to the next couple episodes.

Kosh's death, and then more time travel/B4 shenanigans with Zathras and the return of Sinclair.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

DrBouvenstein posted:

No, we remember, that's why everyone is saying it has a good, and plot significant, B plot. But it does seem like they're from two different episodes.

I am stoked to see TraderStav's reactions to the next couple episodes.

Kosh's death, and then more time travel/B4 shenanigans with Zathras and the return of Sinclair.

Omg Interludes and Examinations is so goddamn brilliant. I think it’s my favorite episode simply because one, Kosh finally realizes that the younger races (and Sheridan in particular) are right, and then when he finally agrees to intervene they let you think that he’s leaving Sheridan in the wind, and then the Shadows come and then YOU as a viewer realize the cost at the same time as Sheridan and it’s all kinds of :gonk:. drat it, I have something in my eye... :gonk:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Doctor Zero posted:

Omg Interludes and Examinations is so goddamn brilliant. I think it’s my favorite episode simply because one, Kosh finally realizes that the younger races (and Sheridan in particular) are right, and then when he finally agrees to intervene they let you think that he’s leaving Sheridan in the wind, and then the Shadows come and then YOU as a viewer realize the cost at the same time as Sheridan and it’s all kinds of :gonk:. drat it, I have something in my eye... :gonk:

One of my favorite bits of that is the commentary on the DVD. Boxleitner literally thought that Sheridan was talking to his actual father ever since he shot the episode, and as he's watching it, he's like, "Oh, poo poo, he's talking to Kosh!"

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Gimme an episode that I have to watch to read those spoilers please.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TraderStav posted:

3X15

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TraderStav posted:

For my spoilers, the next 3 episodes I think, if your last one was Ship of Tears.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Timby posted:

One of my favorite bits of that is the commentary on the DVD. Boxleitner literally thought that Sheridan was talking to his actual father ever since he shot the episode, and as he's watching it, he's like, "Oh, poo poo, he's talking to Kosh!"

As I recall, Peter Jurasik said he's never actually watched Babylon 5. Has no idea what Ivanova's story was, because he never interacted with it.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Up to And the Sky Full of Stars. The War Prayer was alright. So what were the first two ages of mankind anyway? We talking BCE, CE and... PCE? Bronze Age, Iron Age, Tech Age?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It's the dawning of the Third Age.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Delthalaz posted:

Up to And the Sky Full of Stars. The War Prayer was alright. So what were the first two ages of mankind anyway? We talking BCE, CE and... PCE? Bronze Age, Iron Age, Tech Age?

this question is answered in s4

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Woooooooah sheet.

"How did he know you'd be here? How'd he know your name?"

Jeffrey David Sinclair

:whatup:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Babylon 4! In the past? Saving the Minbari?!

:allbuttons:

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 19, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Finished the two parter.

Simply.

:aaaaa:

e: I love that they took all of the normal prophecy and supposed mumbo jumbo that is in every other sci-fi trope and made it a circle that actually makes sense. Really really genius and clever. Well played!!!!

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 19, 2019

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

You are finite. Zathras .. is finite. This ... is wrong tool.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Tim Choate was a treasure, god drat.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Doctor Zero posted:

You are finite. Zathras .. is finite. This ... is wrong tool.

No, nooo... never use this.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other peoples needs

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Zathras manage full four-minutes of rambling for single uninterrupted shot. Zathras is loud one in family Zathras. Sorry, not Zathras; Meant Zathras.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I REALLY enjoyed Zathras. Such a unique character in the genre.

Seems like a really good damned for a pet cat/dog too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So was reflecting on War Without End. Do we find out why:

An Earth station is the key to winning the war against the shadows with presumably even more inferior technology than B5. Not sure what purpose it served. Just as a place to marital forces? Somehow have a unique advantage over the shadows from 1,000 years ago? Since they're so old I don't think they're going to be that much different than the 'modern day' shadows.

If this is answered later please don't spoil the details!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TraderStav posted:

So was reflecting on War Without End. Do we find out why:

An Earth station is the key to winning the war against the shadows with presumably even more inferior technology than B5. Not sure what purpose it served. Just as a place to marital forces? Somehow have a unique advantage over the shadows from 1,000 years ago? Since they're so old I don't think they're going to be that much different than the 'modern day' shadows.

If this is answered later please don't spoil the details!

It was brought up in the episode; Babyolon 4 was neutral territory at a time when the races all distrusted eachother. No race held any prior claim over it and all stood as equals within it so they could use it as a rallying point to fight the Shadows.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It was brought up in the episode; Babyolon 4 was neutral territory at a time when the races all distrusted eachother. No race held any prior claim over it and all stood as equals within it so they could use it as a rallying point to fight the Shadows.

poo poo I must've missed that. Makes sense! Plot continues to hold together so tightly. Just mastercraft.

I also enjoyed that it was set up so well it feels like Sinclairs departure was planned. Can't even imagine how it'd play out if he didn't!!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think we ever see any other sizeable space stations throughout the series. Humans, in their arrogance and desperation made something weird and unique (5 times) that has to have a lot of unique applications. It's a big ol' gun platform that can carry way more fighters and personnel than anything else, and can even dock with capital ships, in addition to being a base of operations that doesn't necessarily need to stay anchored to any one spot, although I don't think they ever go into how mobile B5 can be if it needs to be.

Why the Vorlons thought it was easier to steal from the future rather than just build their own is anyone's guess.

Also worth asking is what happened to B4 in the past so it's not around anymore, and why nobody ever notes the similarity between the station long, long ago and modern human technology. I mean it's not as unique as the shadows' big black ships with all the tendrils, but you'd think somebody would have notes to compare.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Ok couple questions :

We saw The Beginning movie and are now up to episode 12 (By Any Means Necessary.)

1) In the beginning film they described what the minbari were doing as genocide and they wiped out many earth colonies, presumably killing everyone. Then they surrounded earth. How complete was this genocide? Like are humans only on earth now or are there still a bunch of colonies?

What is that planet that Babylon 5 is near that’s always in the background shots?

Thanks!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Delthalaz posted:

What is that planet that Babylon 5 is near that’s always in the background shots?

Thanks!

You'll find out in about six episodes.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

This is explained in an upcoming episode.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

A few more thoughts about A War Without End

But let me interrupt myself first and just say how much I'm loving this show that even days later I'm still recycling it through my mind and coming up with more thoughts:

I need to go back and see how much of the Minbari 'prophecy' was just poo poo that Sinclair knew and passed down the ages. I'm not doing a good job of remembering specifics now, but I recall there being quite a bit of mysticism that I just hand-waved as alien mumbo-jumbo (but less so as they panned out).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

1) In the beginning film they described what the minbari were doing as genocide and they wiped out many earth colonies, presumably killing everyone. Then they surrounded earth. How complete was this genocide? Like are humans only on earth now or are there still a bunch of colonies?

Humans are all over the place.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The planet is named Epsilon III, B5 is in the Epsilon Eridani system.

But generally all those questions rolling around in your head are going to be answered. I can't think of an instance where B5 just drops something and forgets about it. Sometimes it takes a few seasons to answer tho.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't think of an instance where B5 just drops something and forgets about it.

Kosh doing a data dump of Talia's mind?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Delthalaz posted:

We saw The Beginning movie and are now up to episode 12 (By Any Means Necessary.)

The Minbari blew up everything mobile, all starships and the like, and every military base and space station. The plan was to destroy everything that could fight back all the way to Earth, then once there was no resistance, kill everyone on Earth and then move back out exterminating all humans until they couldn't find anymore. This meant that after the war and the Minbari surrender, the civilian colonies were more or less intact, it was just EarthForce that had been crippled. It also meant that the infrastructure to build new ships was still intact so EarthForce could do a crash rebuild, first with existing designs like the Hyperion and Nova classes, then eventually the newer Omega class destroyers. It's also why all the fighters that EarthForce use are the same Aurora class Starfury that date back to the war. EarthForce needed numbers and they needed them fast, so they just kept mass producing the old fighters rather than take the time to tool up a new fighter design.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've always thought it was weird how so much sci fi assumes we'll stick to current astronomy name formats for celestial bodies instead of just giving them all proper names. I mean in human territory they call them Earth and Mars, not Sol III and Sol IV.

TraderStav posted:

I need to go back and see how much of the Minbari 'prophecy' was just poo poo that Sinclair knew and passed down the ages. I'm not doing a good job of remembering specifics now, but I recall there being quite a bit of mysticism that I just hand-waved as alien mumbo-jumbo (but less so as they panned out).

I assume all those cones of dunshire Delenn had were doing something. I don't think we're ever presented with the literal text of any Minbari prophecy, so it's hard to tell much about them.

We are presented with at least three different instances of characters somehow foreseeing the future, which are treated as authentic although I think there's some ambiguity over whether any of them properly come to pass?

As far as I've gotten in my rewatch, there's Centauri psychics, B4 tachyon garbage, and the Technomage,

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've always thought it was weird how so much sci fi assumes we'll stick to current astronomy name formats for celestial bodies instead of just giving them all proper names. I mean in human territory they call them Earth and Mars, not Sol III and Sol IV.

For Epsilon III, I imagine it's because the system didn't have anyone in it prior to being the staging ground for the Babylon Project. Since it was unoccupied neutral territory, the planet didn't have a proper local name. Since the effort was led by humans, they made their name for it standard. If it had been a habitable world ... well, if it had been a habitable world, it would've been colonized already, wouldn't be neutral territory, but ignoring that: if Epsilon III had been a habitable unoccupied world, and the site of the Babylon Project, they probably would've just called it "Babylon, third planet in the Epsilon Eridani system."

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

jng2058 posted:

The Minbari blew up everything mobile, all starships and the like, and every military base and space station. The plan was to destroy everything that could fight back all the way to Earth, then once there was no resistance, kill everyone on Earth and then move back out exterminating all humans until they couldn't find anymore. This meant that after the war and the Minbari surrender, the civilian colonies were more or less intact, it was just EarthForce that had been crippled. It also meant that the infrastructure to build new ships was still intact so EarthForce could do a crash rebuild, first with existing designs like the Hyperion and Nova classes, then eventually the newer Omega class destroyers. It's also why all the fighters that EarthForce use are the same Aurora class Starfury that date back to the war. EarthForce needed numbers and they needed them fast, so they just kept mass producing the old fighters rather than take the time to tool up a new fighter design.

Didn't the Agamemnon destroy a Minbari capital ship and thus survived the war?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TraderStav posted:

No. The Agamemnon was built after the war.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

No. The Agamemnon was built after the war.

Ah. I guess I just assumed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TraderStav posted:

No, that was the Lexington. Sheridan was its first officer, took command when the captain was killed, and blew up the Black Star. He was promoted and given the new-built Agamemnon after the war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

No, that was the Lexington. Sheridan was its first officer, took command when the captain was killed, and blew up the Black Star. He was promoted and given the new-built Agamemnon after the war.

Was that in the show by mid season 3 or in later or other content? I don't remember that amount of specificity.