Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If I was in a room with Donald Trump, what would be the most insulting, hurtful, enraging thing I could say to him? What would personally offend him most?

Actually with a narcissist what you want to do is be really complementary up to the point where you hook them in and get them really excited about the approval. Then you yank that chain like a motherfucker go cold on him. Say you thought he was the best president ever until he did the kids in cages thing and you were just disgusting.

Breaks their brain. They can’t stand it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I actually get why bidon is a frunt runner , with trump running around forgetting poo poo and rambling etc biden will fit in like a perfectly square puzzle piece.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Paracaidas posted:

I appreciate your repeated efforts to ensure that everyone is familiar with the Letter from Birmingham Jail. Certainly better than most civics classes do. I hope, though, most will engage with the text (and context) to gain their own understanding that can be compared with your interpretation.
Are you going to bother explaining how my interpretation is wrong or is condescendingly implying I am wrong the best counterargument you have?

quote:

The main thrust, from what I can tell, of your calls for collective action has been that the flow of this dynamic goes injustice->direct action->justice. This has been, in (some) historical cases, accurate. Those pointing out that the end you imagine is neither guaranteed nor inevitable are not neccesarily comfortable centrists trying to avoid inconveniencing the puppeteering elite.

This is such a perfect demonstration of my argument that centrists will only resist evil if they've been assured a guaranteed victory and that there is no risk to themselves.

Of course fighting the system is dangerous, of course it carries risks. Of course we may lose despite our best efforts, that's the nature of fighting a corrupt system for a better tomorrow. And that's a simple truth that has not and will never change throughout the course of human history.

quote:

Some people weigh the likelihood of carnage and death from your proposals (especially under the lens of your worldview, with catastrophic violence from the death cult imminent or already occuring) against the likelihood and impact of success and find that they pale in effectiveness to other means (including other forms of direct action!) but at much greater cost. There may be merit to understanding and engaging with the critique rather than treating it all as if it comes from Skex but :shrug:

Cowards always have a bunch of intellectual justifications for why it's too dangerous to directly confront power. In case you haven't noticed our species is going extinct and incrementalism is insufficient to avert catastrophe.

Your solutions all involve going along with the system and following the rules and never inconveniencing power/the comfortable and assuming that if we just vote hard enough then the system that you think would happily machine gun unarmed protesters will simply hand over the keys of power because they lost a vote. That isn't how power works, that isn't how anything works.

If there was validity to your worldview than Hillary Clinton would be president and there wouldn't be child concentration camps on our border.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 20, 2019

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ershalim posted:

I think the key thing that people tend to miss is that security is designed without respect to culture at all. In a vacuum, a long complicated password that is different for every service and every person is more secure, but when applied to human behavior, that requirement undermines itself because people don't actually work that way. It's sort of where the STEMlord caricature comes from -- someone who is undeniably clever, but functionally only makes things worse because their projections don't take into account the lived experience of people who aren't them. Most forms of bureaucracy suffer from the exact some problem, though they compound it by adding in bias towards corporate and profits over all.

Of course, it usually plays out with the people who use it hating the people who made it and visa versa, so it's a problem that never gets solved.

evilweasel posted:

Password policies simply don't make sense. The idea that I can remember a bunch of unique passwords that may have to change every 90 days is complete nonsense. It's not possible to comply with password systems as designed. To function, it's simply necessary to evade steps: mostly, password reuse, and for that dumb 90 day poo poo, incrementing passwords.

That said, running a massively important DB with admin/admin isn't a failing of individual users, that's an IT department fuckup.

That's what password managers are for. No-one expects you to remember those passwords now. You have one password for your password manager combined with 2FA. You don't use that password anywhere else.

It's not complicated or hard.

Enterprise password managers allow sharing of account info to multiple users if needed as well as remote wipes if an employee loses a device or is fired or quits.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I know we are talking about someone who is a bootlick to president moron, but how dumb is this dude. I can believe his rear end is gone soon.

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1185532315159662593?s=20

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

You mean no one wants to Captain this burning sinking ship?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Ah heck, I'll do it if he asks.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

RandomBlue posted:

That's what password managers are for. No-one expects you to remember those passwords now. You have one password for your password manager combined with 2FA. You don't use that password anywhere else.

Uh huh. Which is great until you're talking about something like a Pyxis machine or a door to an emergency room/trauma center, which usually also have passwords which are supposed to rotate for security concerns. The situation is that in practice, you've got something that is reasonably important, rare, or dangerous enough to require locking it up, and a lot of people in high stress situations who don't really have the time or latitude to try and get the information if they happen to lose it.

The narrow view you're taking is probably the one that you yourself use on the regular, but there are hundreds of other applications of the same problem that I pointed out. There are also, I would assume, solutions that take into account the real-life use cases instead of assuming that there's a simple, obvious software solution to a work-culture-based problem.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The solution to those things are a physical credential or a guard.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

KillHour posted:

The solution to those things are a physical credential or a guard.

In practice, the solution to them is to leave the password at default until an audit, and then change it until they leave. :v:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BlueBlazer posted:

A nationalized identity system that can be easily plugged into. It's the only way we are even going to think about climbing out of the personal data hell world we have created. Passwords be damned, we've mostly already accepted finger print ID, and since we grow it should be a key that can be updated regularly.

There is always going to be a way to hide your identity. But for those things where I need to be myself I need to know it's secure(encrypted, which means updated, all encryption can be busted in time) , monitored(by the NSA, those assholes who already have all our data, they should be working for us.) and can have a real enforceable public policy associated with it( legislation, rather than EULAS). I as US Joe citizen need my identity secured as a matter of business, national security, and safety.

Till we solve this there will be no functional Medicare for all, privacy ceases to exist, the obscenely rich will continue to hide their wealth, speech will be manipulated by dark shadow cabals of oligarchs, and weapons will flow unchecked.

I know everyone will say it can't be done, but it really must if we hope to fix this hellworld.

Thanks for putting into words what I struggle to express at times.

RandomBlue posted:

Enterprise password managers allow sharing of account info to multiple users if needed as well as remote wipes if an employee loses a device or is fired or quits.

I've been trying to get everyone in my org onto a password manager of some kind, any, please, pick one of these three for going on about two years now. All the most vulnerable are now using it regularly but many less computer savvy are still struggling.

Then someone who's been there 20 years sorting files revealed they don't understand how file paths work and I decided to call it a week.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dammerung posted:

Ah heck, I'll do it if he asks.

I'd do it. Reform in the country would come in the form of a spritzer bottle and a rolled up newspaper and Trump would be too much of a pussy to stop me.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'd do it. Reform in the country would come in the form of a spritzer bottle and a rolled up newspaper and Trump would be too much of a pussy to stop me.

Dangit, I think your resume beats mine handily if you access to both of those things!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ice Phisherman posted:

Keep in mind all you'd get is strongly worded letters expressing "grave concern" so you could probably do whatever you want and smack GOP around and they'd spend 3 dragging their feet and then 5 years investigating, who else in Washington is going to stop you? You could spend 2 terms smacking Mitch with a rolled up paper and spraying centrist Dems with water when they want to "compromise"

I might as well run for President even if I wasn't born on US soil and just walk into the White House and bark orders. What respect to constitution? The Military take orders from an obvious Russia plant working against US interests who violates it all the time.

But watch, if Bernie gets elected, they'll fight him harder than Trump.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 20, 2019

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Gatts posted:

Keep in mind all you'd get is strongly worded letters expressing "grave concern" so you could probably do whatever you want and smack GOP around and they'd spend 3 dragging their feet and then 5 years investigating, who else in Washington is going to stop you? You could spend 2 terms smacking Mitch with a rolled up paper and spraying centrist Dems with water when they want to "compromise"

Now that you mention it you could probably conquer the entire current elected government with a hackey-sack and a nerf gun that shoots those rubber balls.

Disclaimer: no one actually try this.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ershalim posted:

Uh huh. Which is great until you're talking about something like a Pyxis machine or a door to an emergency room/trauma center, which usually also have passwords which are supposed to rotate for security concerns. The situation is that in practice, you've got something that is reasonably important, rare, or dangerous enough to require locking it up, and a lot of people in high stress situations who don't really have the time or latitude to try and get the information if they happen to lose it.

The narrow view you're taking is probably the one that you yourself use on the regular, but there are hundreds of other applications of the same problem that I pointed out. There are also, I would assume, solutions that take into account the real-life use cases instead of assuming that there's a simple, obvious software solution to a work-culture-based problem.

We were very clearly talking about computer security, not physical security.

However, passwords/entry codes for those things can also be stored in a password manager (on your phone) if necessary, though typically people have the ability to remember quite a few short keycodes/PINs.

Bringing up clearly different use cases that weren't being discussed or edge cases if you're going to go to "What if your phone isn't allowed?" isn't really helping your point.

e: I will say from a corporate standpoint password managers need to be mandated from the top down or it doesn't work.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Gatts posted:

You could spend 2 terms smacking Mitch with a rolled up paper and spraying centrist Dems with water when they want to "compromise"

I would watch the hell out of this Netflix mini-series.

schizophrenic
Jul 29, 2004
<3

Reminder that way back when Trump and co recruited mulvaney for chief of staff he turned it down lol, insisting on a number of conditions before taking the job, one of which was that his title be the "acting" chief of staff.
Life comes at you fast.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

RandomBlue posted:

We were very clearly talking about computer security, not physical security.

However, passwords/entry codes for those things can also be stored in a password manager (on your phone) if necessary, though typically people have the ability to remember quite a few short keycodes/PINs.

Bringing clearly different use cases that weren't being discussed or edge cases if you're going to go to "What if your phone isn't allowed?" isn't really helping your point.

You quoted me, so I assumed you were talking to me. I was talking about tech solutions not taking into account problems that arise from culture not being accounted for, and then provided other examples of the same thing. I don't care what the solution ends up being, and I'm not really interested scoring points against you or anything. I'm advocating for people to take an approach to takes into account the fact that there can be no security that doesn't account for the end user, because it will always, as EW mentioned, end up with people sidestepping the security measures entirely -- as it currently does in hospitals, army bases, prisons, etc., etc..

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Gatts posted:

I might as well run for President even if I wasn't born on US soil and just walk into the White House and bark orders. What respect to constitution? The Military take orders from an obvious Russia plant working against US interests who violates it all the time.

But watch, if Bernie gets elected, they'll fight him harder than Trump.

It does sound incredibly easy, doesn't it? We should all run for office! I've always wanted to have a little office corner nametag of my own.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ershalim posted:

You quoted me, so I assumed you were talking to me. I was talking about tech solutions not taking into account problems that arise from culture not being accounted for, and then provided other examples of the same thing. I don't care what the solution ends up being, and I'm not really interested scoring points against you or anything. I'm advocating for people to take an approach to takes into account the fact that there can be no security that doesn't account for the end user, because it will always, as EW mentioned, end up with people sidestepping the security measures entirely -- as it currently does in hospitals, army bases, prisons, etc., etc..

And I explained a tech solution for the problem of too many complex passwords for people to remember. It also works with physical devices.

e: It may not be the solution for every scenario but it covers the vast majority of them. For others there are biometrics, rotating PINs/passwords with hardware devices you carry on you, etc.. There are solutions to these problems. They're not new problems.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 20, 2019

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dammerung posted:

It does sound incredibly easy, doesn't it? We should all run for office! I've always wanted to have a little office corner nametag of my own.

There are two objects of dark magic you must be wary of traveler!

The lanyard.

The long tie.

Bewaaaaaare!

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Has it been identified what corruption existed at the time the aid to Ukraine was held up and quantifiably been demonstrated how that corruption was curtailed to an extent that the aid need no longer be suspended? It seems like story is a lot happened in a short period of time.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

schizophrenic posted:

Reminder that way back when Trump and co recruited mulvaney for chief of staff he turned it down lol, insisting on a number of conditions before taking the job, one of which was that his title be the "acting" chief of staff.
Life comes at you fast.

Everyone he hires is acting

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ice Phishermen I believe we have found someone else in desperate need of your talents with a rolled up newspaper.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Why would you do this to us Ague Proof? :negative:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Who’s funding this shithead?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 20, 2019

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Prester Jane posted:

Ice Phishermen I believe we have found someone else in desperate need of your talents with a rolled up newspaper.

he tried to spritz people with a garden hose that was turned off at his press conferences

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

What's bothering me most about this picture is that he isn't shown to be in first-class anywhere. He's standing in front of what appears to be a very blurry painting?

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who’s loving this shithead?

Someone that is not a parent at least.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who’s loving this shithead?

Hey now- lets not demean sex workers here.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Noted baby expert Jacob Wohl

Dammerung posted:

What's bothering me most about this picture is that he isn't shown to be in first-class anywhere. He's standing in front of what appears to be a very blurry painting?

He think he cute

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rip Testes posted:

Someone that is not a parent at least.

I meant to say “funding” and somehow it autocorrected to “loving” which is still probably a valid question.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I’m sure he’s dumb enough to pay full boat to fly first class and think it’s a rich thing, while everyone else around him got upgraded on frequent flyer status from using their company’s money

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Rip Testes posted:

Has it been identified what corruption existed at the time the aid to Ukraine was held up and quantifiably been demonstrated how that corruption was curtailed to an extent that the aid need no longer be suspended? It seems like story is a lot happened in a short period of time.

The previous team at Naftogaz, the one they were trying to oust, had all been applauded for cutting down the corruption from its previous state during the tenure Shokin and Lutsenko were (not) prosecuting them.

Yovanovitch, the US Ambassador, had been objecting to changes because of that, which is speculated as the reason she was recalled months early

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

Indeed 2FA works, I use it to save all my web services passwords, databases and other system junk that I have been cursed with building and monitoring. But not for every system that matters, and it only takes one honery middle manager with more political clout than you to to get your boss to tell him to turn it off, or the next annuerism you have when Joe forgets his other password to his email he changed 2 months ago that he uses for his backup account.

Its not an issue of is the system available, its is their political will to hold the line, I'm not about to give up my job on the ideals of 2FA. I, and I'm sure the hordes of tired sysadmin's(speaking of strikes, if you could get computer touchers to strike with a system lockout you could bring US infrastructure to its knees.) in the US are in need of a solution now that we have the collective might of offshore oligarchs funding spear fishing attacks on middles managers designed to target 40-60 years olds. It's bleak out there.

Keep in mind Stuxnet, that bug that took down Iranian nuclear reactors took advantage of the fact that Siemens(multi billion dollar Enterprise) controllers used default passwords set by tradesmen(Joe) to take over the control systems. If you are thinking this solution is only to solve one problem associated with dumb users, pull up and take a look at the IoT problem.

As an admin, if you could completely federate your entire identity infrastructure would you? If you could tie all your business credentials and keys to a Tax ID key you could recover from the federal government would you? If you had the option of removing the responsibility of your organization to maintain secure identity transactions between disparate services and organizations would you?

If your answer is No, your probably a tax cheat or liable for some shady poo poo.

RandomBlue posted:

Check your tech privilege, I too grew up with a broadband spoon. People can be taught, but we need a solution that can solve it for everyone. I'm not saying I have the answer I'm saying we need

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 20, 2019

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay since this happened a few centuries ago, thread please refresh my memory on the following:

-What was Trump trying to shut down the government over this last time when he had to back down? Hostage taking for border wall money, right?

-What were the specific pressures in play that caused LaGuardia, among other major airports, to plan to shut down? Lack of security because of no TSA employees, or TSA employees who are probably defined as essential national security personnel who had to work were sicking out anyway after a week or two not getting paid? Or was it something other than TSA?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Prester Jane posted:

To be completely frank I don't have formal employment- I have schizoaffective disorder and have been formally declared disabled.

Thanks for the response.

Only reason I ask is because of your continued calls for a general strike/walkout amongst the general populace and I think you're underestimating what a tremendous leap that might be for anyone with a kid, health insurance or even trying to keep the lights on and the internet working. To say nothing of the cost of a hospital visit.

It could happen eventually once 3/4 of the population almost literally has nothing left to lose, and we're getting there, but the 5-10% who pull the strings are quite clever at providing just enough table scraps to keep us clocking in and showing up, to keep dry humping what we think is the american dream and filling the airwaves with lies while the most affected keep buying scratch off tickets. They've perfected it to the point that instead of most of us being angry at the system or our employers, we start pointing fingers at our co-workers for not working as hard as they do or for having the gall to spend money on things that others deem unnecessary.

Something approaching half the country thinks that someone is not poor if they own a refrigerator or a microwave. We have a long, LONG way to go before we can convince the 33.3% that are dug in hard that the reason they can't get ahead is because the poor people took all the money. They blame it on people LIKE YOU to be honest and, in a certain sense, your calls for organized strikes and employee walkouts come off as easy to suggest when you yourself don't have a job that you rely on. What does the nationalized walking off of your job movement that you call for mean to you when you when you don't even NEED IT?

I'm not picking on you so much as trying to shine a light of sorts and get you to see things from a different angle outside of your own perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

Bringing up clearly different use cases that weren't being discussed or edge cases if you're going to go to "What if your phone isn't allowed?" isn't really helping your point.

Or to touch on anther perfectly valid point, what if you don't have a phone?

Enterprise password managers are not a solution in USPOL.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 20, 2019