Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i sometimes wonder if there's a discussion to be had here but imo class lines break down just about how you'd fuckin' imagine. i was raised in the austin burbs, son of a paralegal and secretary. i could have easily bootstrapped myself toward an, iunno, software sales career, but i was drowning in manila folders in my childhood. my friends whose parents worked for IBM or equivalent companies went straight into IT and i'm friends with more than one self-described "power couple" who make more than a mil a year. i just quit a pizza store because it was giving me carpel tunnel. i have an MBA, earned while trying to dig myself out of this bad-job trap and it didn't work. i have no idea how to break into a $40k/year job, or salary itself for that matter. was i shut out of the professional-managerial class before undergrad? did i gently caress up my path? or are things just really drat fluid in the $40k-$200k range of potential jobs? the bulk of my day is thinking about food costs and how i want to throw myself in front of a truck; i know i could watch SQL tutorials on youtube to "better" myself, but i'm so defeated and unable to think about tomorrow

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm starting to think that people are using PMC to mean something besides private military company

contractors, they're bashing the employees of mercenary firms and nobody else

edit even my replies are severely sarcastic and irony-poisoned, i just want to be a normal schlub with a mortgage and a family

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 08:37 on Oct 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i grew up in a trailer park and went to community college after floating around aimlessly until i was 24, now i'm in grad school but everyone around me is clearly from a higher upbringing and it's hard to relate. i dropped out of my first grad program because it was even worse in this respect and i went instead to a group at my undergrad because at least i didn't feel so intimidated there. i just wanted a job after grad school instead of having professors think of me as being lesser than dirt for not wanting to be an academic

now having been wedded to posting in the trump era it makes me feel like i'm a traitor for being in grad school but at this point i'm so deep in from undergrad debt idk what else to do. have to basically rely on getting a 100k offer after i'm done or else i'll never be able to afford the loan repayments (wild how even getting the full pell grant and going to a public school in undergrad means you still need to take a shitload of debt on)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and people call me crazy when i say that i dont want to use my gi bill lol. yes, i should use it just because its free government money. however i don't want to subject myself to being around those kinds of people, and my inherent poor person hoarder tendencies mean i dont want to use it on a degree that i cant get a job for, even if i'd really enjoy it intellectually. unfortunately i couldn't give a gently caress about being a stemlord. i actually do like computers but im never doing it as a job lol, i can barely keep myself focused when its fun

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

and people call me crazy when i say that i dont want to use my gi bill lol. yes, i should use it just because its free government money. however i don't want to subject myself to being around those kinds of people, and my inherent poor person hoarder tendencies mean i dont want to use it on a degree that i cant get a job for, even if i'd really enjoy it intellectually. unfortunately i couldn't give a gently caress about being a stemlord. i actually do like computers but im never doing it as a job lol, i can barely keep myself focused when its fun

whoa no no, that's like grandma giving you a gift card you don't use but a thousand times more valuable. I think you'll find most any college or trade school on the continent is filled with good people. Otherwise adopt me and I'll use it for good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just overcome the hoarder bit and have a stab at studying something genuinely interesting. the instinct is wrong anyway because there is no "saving" the money, fake money spent on fake costs in this instance.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Doubt anyone remembers this but there was a bit with the chapo podcasters where a guy sang a song about truck nuts/afghanistan getting his truck, and I found it really funny. Anyone have a link? Might have been a livestream, I remember seeing it on twitter.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i say swears online posted:

whoa no no, that's like grandma giving you a gift card you don't use but a thousand times more valuable. I think you'll find most any college or trade school on the continent is filled with good people. Otherwise adopt me and I'll use it for good

(the real reason i havent used it yet is because my car sucks)

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Rookoo posted:

Doubt anyone remembers this but there was a bit with the chapo podcasters where a guy sang a song about truck nuts/afghanistan getting his truck, and I found it really funny. Anyone have a link? Might have been a livestream, I remember seeing it on twitter.

https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/965824445855289344?lang=en

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Larry Parrish posted:

Con: You have to be around those sort of people

Pro: You get to potentially have money and be materially comfortable like those people. One of the perks of being a PMC STEMlord is that you can be a complete fuckup and still make pretty good money, fail upwards, and have people assume that you're competent by default. Trust me, working fast food requires waaaaay more focus and dediction than being a developer at some tech company.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChipNDip posted:

Con: You have to be around those sort of people

Pro: You get to potentially have money and be materially comfortable like those people. One of the perks of being a PMC STEMlord is that you can be a complete fuckup and still make pretty good money, fail upwards, and have people assume that you're competent by default. Trust me, working fast food requires waaaaay more focus and dediction than being a developer at some tech company.

i know. thats why i like my fast food job. im an autistic wierdo who's brain runs a thousand times a second so its kind of nice being dead tired all the time

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm starting to think that people are using PMC to mean something besides private military company

Professional/Managerial Class

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

(the real reason i havent used it yet is because my car sucks)

work out a deal where you marry someone, they buy you a car, and you sign over the bill to them

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
it's a right wing meme but the trades are way better than getting a college degree at this point, residential HVAC with a couple years experience makes like $19-24/hr and commercial and industrial make like $25-40/hr depending on experience, welders can make a ton too but you have to actually be good at it (you show your welds as part of an interview), pipefitters, electricians, even plumbers probably make more than most non stem bachelor's degree once you have some experience, plus you get the added benefit of having a meaningful job that won't immediately evaporate next time the economy crashes

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

He was just saying that its OK to ally with the working class, but you need to be honest about yourself, and that your own class interests are different, even if its slight. Speaking as an actual working class person from a crumbling lumber town, we always have liberals presenting themselves as an aw shucks style country boy but they're always like, old money Stanford graduates. I cant speak for everyone but I'm always very suspicious the second someone says they're working class and isnt obviously poor. My first instinct is that they're trying to grift me.

I think that part of the reason the PMC has been so frequently mentioned is that there's a large set of millennials who were born into middle class families and have (or have had) some direct social contact with people more fortunate, but who are stuck in low-paying jobs due to the state of our economy. So they have a pretty clear view into how these other people manage to get ahead and how their life experience affects their politics/values (social media makes this even easier, since you see all your acquaintances posting their opinions about these things).

i sometimes wonder if there's a discussion to be had here but imo class lines break down just about how you'd fuckin' imagine. i was raised in the austin burbs, son of a paralegal and secretary. i could have easily bootstrapped myself toward an, iunno, software sales career, but i was drowning in manila folders in my childhood. my friends whose parents worked for IBM or equivalent companies went straight into IT and i'm friends with more than one self-described "power couple" who make more than a mil a year. i just quit a pizza store because it was giving me carpel tunnel. i have an MBA, earned while trying to dig myself out of this bad-job trap and it didn't work. i have no idea how to break into a $40k/year job, or salary itself for that matter. was i shut out of the professional-managerial class before undergrad? did i gently caress up my path? or are things just really drat fluid in the $40k-$200k range of potential jobs? the bulk of my day is thinking about food costs and how i want to throw myself in front of a truck; i know i could watch SQL tutorials on youtube to "better" myself, but i'm so defeated and unable to think about tomorrow

Without nepotism, you really have to get into that sort of "career environment" early (this is partly why the economy someone graduates into has a strong impact on their earnings for their entire life). People always talk about the "you need job experience to get job experience" paradox, and that's basically true (unless, again, you have nepotism to help). And for the more traditionally "elite" job sectors, I think it's virtually unheard of to not start your career directly out of college.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I went straight into trades while in high school and the only good federal job here is working for empire. It is killing my soul when I think of the human cost, but what the hell can I do?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

ReapersTouch posted:

I went straight into trades while in high school and the only good federal job here is working for empire. It is killing my soul when I think of the human cost, but what the hell can I do?

get a job for the federal government and then get Bernie elected so you can do less evil poo poo or at least feel better about it, or just move somewhere else? it's not like tradework is limited to certain parts of any state or country (unless you've got a really obscure trade I guess)

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

work out a deal where you marry someone, they buy you a car, and you sign over the bill to them

idk how much it's changed but it's incredibly difficult to transfer your gi bill, you need like 10 years of service and then opt to do it before you even get out

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
GI Bill covers trade school and most decent sized community colleges have trade programs which are very mixed but if you do your homework and find a good one it can definitely be worth it, especially if you take it seriously and don't blow off the knowledge/resources available, or you can just get a paid apprenticeship if you live in a state like CA where they're available

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
around here the community colleges have welding classes that are like one night a week, they only cost $150 and you use way way way way way way more than $150 in raw materials

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Phone posted:

around here the community colleges have welding classes that are like one night a week, they only cost $150 and you use way way way way way way more than $150 in raw materials

yeah cc trade programs can be very good because a lot of them will literally be covered by a pell grant and they are generally not stingy about mats or tools

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
edit: nvm rude response

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Oct 19, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I think that part of the reason the PMC has been so frequently mentioned is that there's a large set of millennials who were born into middle class families and have (or have had) some direct social contact with people more fortunate, but who are stuck in low-paying jobs due to the state of our economy. So they have a pretty clear view into how these other people manage to get ahead and how their life experience affects their politics/values (social media makes this even easier, since you see all your acquaintances posting their opinions about these things).

it's me

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Cheers!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Can’t copy the tweet because he blocked me for calling him out. But Noah Berlatsky was being racist to Sunkara for doubting his “all whites irredeemable” schtik.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
just to be clear, is berlatsky setting out to be the white ta-nisei coates or something?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ace of Baes posted:

yeah cc trade programs can be very good because a lot of them will literally be covered by a pell grant and they are generally not stingy about mats or tools

they're also a pretty decent way to get into auto lathes and AutoCAD

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

just to be clear, is berlatsky setting out to be the white ta-nisei coates or something?
He's the pure distilled essence of someone who puts "beta cuck" and ((())) in their Twitter bio for...whatever kind of online credibility those guys are going for.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Killjoy posted:

By the way Coates is writing Captain America and it's the most #resist thing I've ever read and it's disgusting and fails miserably because it's a fundamental misread of the character

But there's a point where Captain America, a man who is thoroughly disillusioned with the American government but deeply believes in the promise of what America can and should be, muses about what happened to the military that it's just using young men as cannon fodder now and I wanted someone to die, me or coates, not picky

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's a weird take for sure, especially when American combat casualties are insanely low.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

By the way Coates is writing Captain America and it's the most #resist thing I've ever read and it's disgusting and fails miserably because it's a fundamental misread of the character

But there's a point where Captain America, a man who is thoroughly disillusioned with the American government but deeply believes in the promise of what America can and should be, muses about what happened to the military that it's just using young men as cannon fodder now and I wanted someone to die, me or coates, not picky

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Somebody tell him about Smedley Butler and blow his mind

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Can’t copy the tweet because he blocked me for calling him out. But Noah Berlatsky was being racist to Sunkara for doubting his “all whites irredeemable” schtik.

what the hell do people who imply this "if you're white you're irredeemable scum" think is going to happen by saying this

do they think a white person is going to hear that and just, idk, lay down and die or something? if you're going to constantly tell someone by virtue of their skin color they are beyond redemption and poisonous to the political sphere what do you expect them to do

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

He was just saying that its OK to ally with the working class, but you need to be honest about yourself, and that your own class interests are different, even if its slight. Speaking as an actual working class person from a crumbling lumber town, we always have liberals presenting themselves as an aw shucks style country boy but they're always like, old money Stanford graduates. I cant speak for everyone but I'm always very suspicious the second someone says they're working class and isnt obviously poor. My first instinct is that they're trying to grift me.

yeah I think that as more and more people are downwardly mobile becoming poorer they think they're poor because they have to buy stuff at the thrift shop -- their personal circumstances are not great but they still have family connections and money within their family they can draw on if they need to. it's a difficult time for us middle class idiots.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yeah basically this

It's also wildly a reaction to trump, like it's a very "return to our norms how did this happen" story. There's a bit about some rural town that's fine with helping evil super science do poo poo in the mines because it brings back jobs and he doesn't get why these people are angry that he shut it down and stripped away any money this poor mining community had. It's just Pod Save America in comic form, totally laus bare all the dumb poo poo these boneless freaks believe

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i dunno what this is from but it kinda looks like Cap's jerkin it and making whupwhupwhup noises

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Are you trying to tell me that's not what he's doing?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Helsing posted:

Are you trying to tell me that's not what he's doing?

I don't know anymore.

:hawaaaafap:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doc Hawkins posted:

i dunno what this is from but it kinda looks like Cap's jerkin it and making whupwhupwhup noises

The current cap run

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The current cap run

Are there any write-ups about this from a left-wing perspective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

Are there any write-ups about this from a left-wing perspective?

I mean I have a bunch of tweets about it because I read the first twelve issues and I was thinking about writing more substantively about it in the next couple weeks but I haven't seen anyone really talk about it

Also I'm on private mode bc Cinema Robert decided to sic his mouthbreather fans on me so I can't even link the tweets lmbo