Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bruteman posted:

New version is up (b152)

quote:

Here's what changed since b149:

Added:
Oil Recipe / Schematic
Display Direction to quest locations from traders.
Create smaller version of the icon atlas (for low VRAM)

Changed:
Campfires, workstations and torches heat map activity cools down faster.
4x the torches and candles can be used without triggering a screamer.
Increased mass of deer, mountain lion and vultures
Steel arrows/bolts are crafted from polymer, not wood
Machete and Clubs Heavy Fire anim update
Quality 6 items are not craftable
Tier 3 items scrap for more parts than T2 and require more to craft
Drum magazine can be installed on the SMG
Increased ammo capacity on junk turret
PerkTurrets increases ammo capacity when reloading a junk turret
Increased stack size of junk turret ammo
Increased texture budget to 90% of VRAM
Decreased texture streaming max reduction to 2
Increased nightmare move speed by 5%
Bird nests drop 1 more feather
PerkTheHuntsman better description

Fixed:
Garage Door Industrial (Powered) not unlocked when reading schematic
Mild Anemia buff persists
Forge does not give max resource back when you chose max.
Using the rotating yellow exclamation mark should activate the quest on the HUD.
Quests were showing "Locate" instead of "Head to Rally Point".
Blade Trap NRef
Rank 4 demo expert has typo
Treasure maps and Challenge Notes can be kept after reading.
Hover display on Pack Mule 4 is incorrect
Exploding/Flaming arrows/bolts are double gated by books
Burning Barrel sound persists in pause menu
Ranged attacks defaulting to bashing damage, which caused huge ragdolls

Mountain Lions?!?

Nightmares?!??

I'm glad to see that they are pushing updates pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
Wait, b149 let us craft quality 6 items and now b152 has a change saying we can no longer do that? Or is just poorly worded?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh no, I loved the stupid ragdolls!!!!

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Maguoob posted:

Wait, b149 let us craft quality 6 items and now b152 has a change saying we can no longer do that? Or is just poorly worded?

I think that's exactly what it means. I think they either reconsidered or there was a miscommunication.

Other person: The nightmare thing is them trying to make nightmare diff. zombie speed outrun sprinting players.

This was my favorite dumb patch note change just because it made me laugh:

quote:

Bird nests drop 1 more feather

Fayk fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 19, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

hey man, that's a very welcome change

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I was just kicked off. Is it server update time?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Guess I should be glad we got some crafts in cause it's locked to 5 again. Great.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Noticed the in game voice chat sucks! Looks like teamspeak is the preferred usage though.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 20, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

One of the issues I had with powderkeg's server was the loot respawn time. It was set to 7 days, IIRC.

This was too short IMO, and resulted in situations where you'd loot one part of town clean, log off, log back on the next IRL day or the day after, and it was now 8 or 9 in-game days later and everything had respawned.

I'm not currently playing MP, but maybe for the next reset the loot respawn should be left at default (30 days) or even increased a bit? What do you guys think?

In singleplayer the long respawn timer is what eventually encourages me to set up multiple bases, and I think that's missing from pk's server right now.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
I don't know if it is new to A18 or that I've somehow never encountered it before, but I just had an air drop in a tree get destroyed after I cut the tree down. All the air drops stuck in trees I got in A17 never broke when they fell down after I cut down the tree.

Also zombie aggro really needs reworked. I'm in the bottom area of the waterworks killing zombies while stealthed and I open up a container and all of a sudden zombies from outside the POI instantly aggro on me and start beating their way towards me. Zombies inside the room? Still sleeping. Some of the Tier IV POIs also feel like they have a flat, if player enters area, trigger sleepers to wake up. Stepping into a new room with only a 3 on my stealth meter and zombies come flying from rooms away is not fun.

enraged_camel posted:

One of the issues I had with powderkeg's server was the loot respawn time. It was set to 7 days, IIRC.

This was too short IMO, and resulted in situations where you'd loot one part of town clean, log off, log back on the next IRL day or the day after, and it was now 8 or 9 in-game days later and everything had respawned.

I'm not currently playing MP, but maybe for the next reset the loot respawn should be left at default (30 days) or even increased a bit? What do you guys think?

In singleplayer the long respawn timer is what eventually encourages me to set up multiple bases, and I think that's missing from pk's server right now.

With quests refreshing POIs, loot respawn is in a weird place. Sure at default you have a long time between respawns, but I don't ever bother looting random buildings. The only time I actually do non quest POI looting is something that isn't even effected by the respawn timer (cobblestone/cement blocks).

My current single player game, I looted two buildings near where I built my base. One to use as a short base during the first couple nights, and the other for the cobblestone resource blocks. After that is has been quest POIs all day, every day. I guess for those that are more willing to just frame up to the loot rooms at the end fast respawning is something they'd want.

Of course I'm not playing on the server, so my opinion is largely irrelevant.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Maguoob posted:

Also zombie aggro really needs reworked. I'm in the bottom area of the waterworks killing zombies while stealthed and I open up a container and all of a sudden zombies from outside the POI instantly aggro on me and start beating their way towards me. Zombies inside the room? Still sleeping. Some of the Tier IV POIs also feel like they have a flat, if player enters area, trigger sleepers to wake up. Stepping into a new room with only a 3 on my stealth meter and zombies come flying from rooms away is not fun.

I found one of those POIs where it's a little cabin and a well out back leading to a bunker underground. I cleared out the area of zombies then went to work on the door with a steel pickaxe so it went relatively smoothly. I went back to the surface and looked around and saw nothing. I went down into the bunker, and within 30 seconds I could hear new zombies spawned above ground. I had debug mode on so I turned on the thing that lets you see NPC info above their head (numpad 0) and watched one zombie come from far away straight to the freaking well and down into the bunker after me - all of the other zombies around had the "wander" instruction set but this one was "investigate" or whatever the equivalent label was the entire time it came after me. I checked the console and it wasn't a horde (it was actually the day following a blood moon). It was kinda nuts.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So is there still a huge amount of goon interest in this? Because if so i'm up for updating the thread.

The game kinda got...lovely for awhile. So I basically just kinda checked out. It was at it's most fun when it was less fiddly and more an arcadey post apocalyptic mayhem simulator with goons. Also it's been like seven years and they still haven't added in features promised in the original Kickstarter offer.

At the very least if there's a goon server I can add it to the top of the OP however.

quote:

I made it through one of those new cathedrals Enraged Camel talked about earlier (excuse my lovely graphics, I have an older computer so I turn off post-processing in the console, which is why everything is shiny):

Cathedral, you say? Sounds like Murderchurch needs to come back with even more upgrades. :unsmigghh:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 20, 2019

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I like loot timer at 7 days. At 30 days I'd never have any ammo, and the server size would be an issue. "THIS IS MY TOWN, gently caress OFF!". As it is, any time I hit up one of the two book shops on the server it's already been emptied.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So you can smelt 9mm ammo and get enough brass for a bullet casing to make 7.62 or magnum rounds. Handy if you're like me and have thousands of 9mm stocked up but fire off 800 rounds with an M60 every horde night at gamestage 200+

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

redreader posted:

I like loot timer at 7 days. At 30 days I'd never have any ammo, and the server size would be an issue. "THIS IS MY TOWN, gently caress OFF!". As it is, any time I hit up one of the two book shops on the server it's already been emptied.

Interesting, how many people are on the server this time? Back in summer when it was on A17, everyone )(i'd say about 6-8 regulars) was so spread out that I almost never came across an already-looted building, unless I hopped on a vehicle and drove over to another city.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Honestly, powderkeg's server is pretty chill and cool. I jumped in, got my poo poo pushed in a few times raiding a store while I tried to figure out the ridiculous melee range of things. Yakked at a couple folks and got let in to their fairly well built up base by offering to give them anything I looted. Eventually discovered teamspeak is the chat thing of choice and am happily holding back the hordes every 7 days with them.

Server name is Goons, Goons, Goons. Passworded, but I don't know if its really my place to share it. (I imagine they don't care, but I do. :shrug:)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, it's on day 137 though, so I'll probably join after the next reset...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, it's on day 137 though, so I'll probably join after the next reset...
:stare: ...yeah. Same.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anyways, I've been experimenting with early game, and I've decided that it's simply not feasible to NOT put a few points into Intelligence and unlock forge and workbench. I've played three games up to level 15 so far, and the luckiest I've gotten was finding a forge at a trader that was almost a mile away. Every forge and workbench I found in the small city I started in was destroyed. I did find a chem station though! :eng101:

Of course that's just a set of three data points, but it's generally pretty annoying to have your progression get slowed/blocked by not having a forge and workbench nearby.

I think I'm also done with stealth builds, at least for now. They're extremely viable, but I noticed that it takes me quite a while to clear POIs, especially large ones. I'm gonna try a strength dude next.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
What do you need a forge for? Before a18 I'd never have asked that but now I barely use mine, and didn't for a while after I got it. I suppose I made a grill and that's it. Not sure if I've found another though, and grills are useful.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Forges are needed to make forged iron, which is used in repair kits, which are used to repair almost every item. You can also only craft metal arrowheads in forges.

Aside from those, forged iron and steel are needed for most mid and late game stuff.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Forges are needed to make forged iron, which is used in repair kits
And workbenches, and iron tools, and bicycles, and...

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
We never had a problem outside of the crucible, really, and the solution to that was just 2 forgetten elixers.

Just raid early on till you find a building with a forge/workbench and settle down. Someone in the group will get the forge blueprint soon enough.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Don't really be that scared of the day number. Just join up with other goons and you'll have no problem keeping up with them as we're generous with our spare gear.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Where's the current server and TS info, actually? Can't be the OP, it's almost 6 years out of date.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
64.94.95.162:22854

password lljk

Not sure about the TS info

When do you all think a good reset date would be? After one more patch?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I don’t feel the need for forge with my scavenger playstyle. All the stuff I need can be purchased in various traders, and motorcycle cost only about 15000.

If I really need a forge, I would claim a place with a working forge, take it, and unclaim the place.

Ps: can we have exp/skill point boost on server?

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 21, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nyaa posted:

Ps: can we have exp/skill point boost on server?

Please, no. The default rate is quite good now. It forces you to really think about what you want to spend your skill points on.

(Assuming you're talking about when it is reset. I don't care about the current one obviously since I'm not on there.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

Please, no. The default rate is quite good now. It forces you to really think about what you want to spend your skill points on.

(Assuming you're talking about when it is reset. I don't care about the current one obviously since I'm not on there.)
Max out Strength and Sexual T-Rex and make someone else give you poo poo. :getin:

Note: This may obligate you to be the one with Miner 69'er.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PowderKeg posted:

When do you all think a good reset date would be? After one more patch?

I think patches are good opportunities for a reset, especially if improvements to the random world generator are in the patch. But I'm currently on there so I can't really say "yeah go for it!" :P

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Coming up in the next patch, btw:

quote:

+Changed: Destroyed workstations now have a 25% chance to contain that workstations crafting schematic (Joel)

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
I'm thinking next reset I'll bump up the map size some more. I know we talked about doing Nav, but I think it'd get a bit cramped.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah on the server I said "let's wait a bit before a reset" but really I don't care. Any time you want to reset is fine. And a map size bump would be awesome too. I also noticed more animals again since the patch, I think. Thanks for doing the server, Powderkeg! Can I donate?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I've got mixed feelings on the A18 progression. It definitely rewards people grouping with the way specializations work out now, but I think not having more +skill (quest reward etc) opportunities is a problem.

There's too much boilerplate that any playstyle needs to get anywhere without dozens of hours on absolute default XP numbers and one skill point per level. Since stats eventually start costing more than 1pt/ea.

I mean the A18 level cap is literally something like 1.8Billion or more iirc, so enjoy killing ~3.6 million zombies I guess.

EDIT: OOPS SORRY I MEAN FOUR HUNDRED SEVENTY SEVEN BILLION (also unreachable because of the variable used)

More examples, since I went to look up people having crunched the numbers:

quote:

That's right, only 7127.432835820896 times as much experience to get to level 300 this alpha compared to last.

quote:

While I was trying to push my gamestage up to try a base build, it was getting weirdly difficult, and I realized that I needed something like 50 MILLION experience for a single level.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 21, 2019

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Yeah the endgame feels like stalling because they haven't got bandits in yet. I'm only at half a million XP to the next level and that's on a server with a 2x XP multiplier.

On the other hand all my tools and weapons are purple with full mods. Only my armour is lagging behind but my green military jacket has better armour than the 3 purple steel chestpieces I've found.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I joined naked in the rain on day one hundred and forty gently caress at 18:00, tried to find my bearings and figure out where the goonbases might be, and pretty much just succeeded in getting horribly murdered repeatedly. Can someone please PM me the Teamspeak poo poo

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

PMush Perfect posted:

I joined naked in the rain on day one hundred and forty gently caress at 18:00, tried to find my bearings and figure out where the goonbases might be, and pretty much just succeeded in getting horribly murdered repeatedly. Can someone please PM me the Teamspeak poo poo

press T to talk, ask anyone online to friend you (they'll be nice!), and they might even come over to you and give you stuff. Joining so close to nightfall is a recipe for a bad time.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

lol the first night in a new game and it spawned two screamers outside the place I was holed up. Turned on debug mode and checked my heat, it was at 12% - I had just run the campfire for a little bit. Does the game now have a chance at just spawning them at night, no matter what your heat level is?

I will give the game credit - walking around inside a POI after the sun has come up and you suddenly hear some poo poo you didn't expect outside, like screamers or spider zombies, is still kind of frightening.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bruteman posted:

lol the first night in a new game and it spawned two screamers outside the place I was holed up. Turned on debug mode and checked my heat, it was at 12% - I had just run the campfire for a little bit. Does the game now have a chance at just spawning them at night, no matter what your heat level is?

I will give the game credit - walking around inside a POI after the sun has come up and you suddenly hear some poo poo you didn't expect outside, like screamers or spider zombies, is still kind of frightening.

This has never happened to me in singleplayer.

However, there was a change in the most recent patch notes about heat level and screamer spawning:

quote:

Campfires, workstations and torches heat map activity cools down faster.
4x the torches and candles can be used without triggering a screamer.

Maybe they introduced a new bug. Happens rarely in this game, I know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Bruteman posted:

That is weird, on my current single player game I haven't even seen a single screamer with the exception of the two spawned via a quest. I've had cement mixers and a forge running forever.