Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's what I figured.

E: Also man, I'm kinda getting why people say this is the worst one.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

That's what I figured.

E: Also man, I'm kinda getting why people say this is the worst one.

the movie has merits as anything other than a Godzilla film.

Because really it isn't. And I don't mean that in a 'it's so bad' or a 'Eeeeeh the first American one may not count' kind of way.

Honda made the film for a very different reason than any other Godzilla film, and it was made as a kids film about latch key culture in Japan first and foremost. Godzilla was entirely secondary and pretty much done because they had the footage to make it cheap and easy to do.

You could do the same film with Batman instead of Godzilla and it would be just as much Not A Batman Movie.

But because Godzilla is in it, it's considered a Godzilla movie. That's just how it works. I hate Space Godzilla WAY more as a film.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

but does that kid live in the world of godzilla

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

but does that kid live in the world of godzilla

Factually no.

The kid lives in what's supposed to be real life Tokyo, where Godzilla et all are fictional beings. That's why he has toys of the monsters and all that.

The whole movie is about a lonely kid who gets caught up in dumb shenanigans and finds hope and strength in his imagination and favorite films.

If it was made today he'd be hanging out with Tony Stark's daughter while watching stock footage of the MCU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
G vs Hedorah on now. There's something you don't see every day.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

drat they really didn't even bother having Godzilla's mouth open for the roar by this point.

E: Never noticed how much the Hedorah theme sounds like something from a Gamera flick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So... a guy wants to build a theme park dedicated to world peace (and Godzilla), only to immediately follow up that project with destroying Monster Island? And nobody thinks that's a bit of a leap?

I know they're evil cockroach aliens, but comic book guy didn't seem to fussed about the guy's plans when he first heard them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I got those mixed together and now I'm picturing an attempt to turn Monster Island into Jurassic Park with kaiju.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Showed my wife Son of Godzilla, she loved it. Laughed so hard at Minya's cuteness that she scared our infant and made him cry. It's been a long time since I had watched it, I didn't remember that Minya tried to chase off the Gi-mantis by roaring and using his breath ray, like his dad taught him to, even if he was only able to blow smoke rings.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SimonCat posted:

Showed my wife Son of Godzilla, she loved it. Laughed so hard at Minya's cuteness that she scared our infant and made him cry. It's been a long time since I had watched it, I didn't remember that Minya tried to chase off the Gi-mantis by roaring and using his breath ray, like his dad taught him to, even if he was only able to blow smoke rings.

Son of Godzilla is a legit underrated film and I love it dearly

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/1184968638190632961?s=19

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

There’s a couple Godzilla t-shirts available today only. The Hedorah one in particular is badass: https://twitter.com/theyetee/status/1185782790282981377

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Urdnot Fire posted:

There’s a couple Godzilla t-shirts available today only. The Hedorah one in particular is badass: https://twitter.com/theyetee/status/1185782790282981377

That does look cool. Ordered.

Like I need yet another nerdy T-shirt. But it is what it is.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Yetee stuff is affordable and quality so you could definitely do worse at any store in the mall. Thanks for the tip on this design.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just to be clear, is Lupin threatening to steal Godzilla?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lupin doesn't threaten to steal things. He gives a polite head's up. :rolleyes:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

“Thanks for shopping with the Criterion Collection. Your order has been processed and is being packed for shipment. Watch your inbox for shipping confirmation soon!”

aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does the Criterion Collection only contain the subtitled audio tracks or does it have the English dub tracks as well?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is this early? I was expecting November! poo poo. :lol:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does the Criterion Collection only contain the subtitled audio tracks or does it have the English dub tracks as well?

My understanding is that the only dubs are for King of the Monsters (in a prior Criterion release) and King Kong vs. Godzilla, which due to rights weirdness is the "main" version of the film being presented, while the Japanese original of KKvG is billed as a "bonus feature." Go figure.

For whatever reason, it seems like Toho has lately been trying to memory hole the stateside dubs in general. I don't know if that's due to lingering ownership issues (as opposed to dubs commissioned by Toho itself using studios in Hong Kong) or what.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HannibalBarca posted:

My understanding is that the only dubs are for King of the Monsters (in a prior Criterion release) and King Kong vs. Godzilla, which due to rights weirdness is the "main" version of the film being presented, while the Japanese original of KKvG is billed as a "bonus feature." Go figure.

For whatever reason, it seems like Toho has lately been trying to memory hole the stateside dubs in general. I don't know if that's due to lingering ownership issues (as opposed to dubs commissioned by Toho itself using studios in Hong Kong) or what.

My guess is because they're seen by most of the fanbases either side of the puddle as an old shame, like 90s anime dubs, and/or literal MST3K material.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Dubs of b movies are part of the charm. Also they're kinda necessary to get little kids to watch.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Mantis42 posted:

Dubs of b movies are part of the charm. Also they're kinda necessary to get little kids to watch.

It's also hard to overestimate just how much nostalgia that some fans (myself included) have for those dubs. It's part of why the Classic Media releases were so great, along with the excellent commentary tracks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think the announcement had a few more dubs than that, but still not all. So I may have to hold on to some of the DVDs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also the American cut of Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster and arguably Godzilla VS Mothra is the definitive versions of those movies.

I think Monster Zero IS keeping its dub track, as well it should

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Monster Zero was the only godzilla film shown on TCM this month that kept its dub. So we got the glorious Godzilla victory dance being declared "A Happy Moment" in deadpan fashion.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It IS a perfect dub

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Monster Zero keeping its dub makes sense, because it was a Japanese-American co-production from the very beginning.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013
My Criterion set is supposed to come tomorrow! :woop:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Pyswagoras posted:

My Criterion set is supposed to come tomorrow! :woop:

Is it out already?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

UmOk posted:

Is it out already?

They shipped preorders. I got my tracking email a few minutes ago. Getting mine tomorrow too!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mines coming to Canada via WorldMail - so I don't think I get tracking, haha. Nothing was in the e-mail wrt tracking.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

If it doesn’t have more dubs than the Channel i may not bother. I was mainly getting it for my kids

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

They shipped preorders. I got my tracking email a few minutes ago. Getting mine tomorrow too!

I pre-ordered from Amazon so I guess I gotta wait

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Terror of Mechagodzilla on TCM. I missed Godzilla vs Megalon and I'm sad I missed the double dropkick.

Edit:
I feel that Terror of Mechagodzilla is the better of the two Mechagodzilla movies since it moves a lot faster and the fights are better. I do think it's one of those instances where it improves on the original but only because the original is a solid foundation, like how Guardians volume 2 is only as good as it is because it is building on the strengths of Guardians vol. 1.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 26, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The fight scenes are so full of character.

Titanosaurus burying Godzilla alive and dancing on his grave. Godzilla dusting himself off. Godzilla ripping off MechaGodzilla's head since it worked last time only to find he has a separate, smaller head. Etc.

Even simple shots like Godzilla's first appearance are awesome.

E: Ben Mankiewicz introduced War of the Gargantuas by saying it was originally a sequel to Frankenstein Conquers the World but they changed it. Uh, Ben, the version you're airing even has expository flashbacks to the first film. The same characters are in it.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 26, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My dad and I couldn't stop laughing at the flashback where Mafune's daughter dies of electrocution and then the aliens immediately show up and turn her into a robot. Her stomach is full of mechanical bits and her heart has been replaced with a red balloon.

Also Interpol having a dinosaur taskforce and a marine biologist being asked science questions about paleontology was funny.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I always forget how bad the cruise singer is on this, Jesus.

Anyways heres Ishiro Honda coping a feel on Kumi Mizuno.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Hey SMG, considering you're a huge kaiju fan: have you seen Matsumoto Hitoshi's Big Man Japan?
It's a very strange movie about a man who can turn gigantic via being electric shocked by a powerplant to defend Tokyo from kaiju. The director is a VERY well-renowned comedian in Japan, so it has a humoristic tone (the government cannot afford any laser guns or outfits, so he fights with the equivalent of a tree trunk while dressed in a fundoshi, and it takes him about 3 days to revert to normal size).

Matsumoto is notorious for having strong opinions about movies, claiming that Miyazaki is a lolicon and that there is not one nanometer of value in The Dark Knight, while simultaneously claiming he doesn't want other movies to influence his moviemaking and he makes films with no message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Big Man Japan is worth it for the ending fight constantly undercutting it's tension by dropping the music whenever the other heroes start beating the poo poo out of Satan.