Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Cyrano4747 posted:

Where is this button?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Reminder, for this to not be grayed out, you must dismiss your general first.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Hears tales of armies reducing unrest by being assigned to regions*

Is it possible to learn this power?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
... not from a general.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dalael posted:

Aggressive Expansion is just a number.

Ok for real, I've been trying hard to the the Nostre Mare achievement and what I learned from my multiple attempts is, sometimes when you conquer people, you gotta make them vassals or tributary in order to only eat 50% AE. Its the only way to keep on expanding

Using client kings should be something you have to, as that's historical, so nice to see it working out if you're going for the world conquest.

Also something that strikes me for being omitted from the game, especially if it wants to have any character focus at all, is the client system. You even have personal wealth modeled! While I don't think any other non Roman powers had anything similar, clientele should be an important part of managing the Republic drat it. :argh:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Eimi posted:

Using client kings should be something you have to, as that's historical, so nice to see it working out if you're going for the world conquest.

Also something that strikes me for being omitted from the game, especially if it wants to have any character focus at all, is the client system. You even have personal wealth modeled! While I don't think any other non Roman powers had anything similar, clientele should be an important part of managing the Republic drat it. :argh:

On my first try, I avoided those at all costs and it was clear I wasn't going to envelop the mediterranean in time considering how much I had to wait for AE to go down. the 2nd run was going better until I ended up on Egypt's wrong side with its over 900 cohorts (Wtf was that about?!?)
I'm on my 3rd try and.. yeah I don't think i'm gonna succeed this time either

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jazerus posted:

timers are important for immersion. i know some folks treat paradox games as abstract board games but to me, pressing a button and getting instant results feels like playing as a god, not a government. governments make decisions and then wait to see what happens while those decisions are slowly implemented at the ground level.

Yes I like this, thanks for articulating far better than I could.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jazerus posted:

timers are important for immersion. i know some folks treat paradox games as abstract board games but to me, pressing a button and getting instant results feels like playing as a god, not a government. governments make decisions and then wait to see what happens while those decisions are slowly implemented at the ground level.

Yes I like this, thanks for articulating far better than I could.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Yeah Cicero makes the IR feel much more organic. To me that’s always been key in the paradox map games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

StarMinstrel posted:

Yeah Cicero makes the IR feel much more organic. To me that’s always been key in the paradox map games.

Oh for sure, in a big way. imo this is most apparent with cultural/religious conversion. I find myself actually considering how much I want to buy theatres/temples and whether to spend PP to make governors use conversion policies. Because if you do neither, it will take an absolute eternity to get people converted, especially if they are totally out of your culture group.

It's nuanced and a whole lot better than "have mana? --> push button!"

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Dunno if Johan still reads this thread after the initial thrashing, but he seems to be making, him and his team, great stride toward a decent product. I never had an opinion on the mana system, only that everything felt clunky/systemic/mechanical, and now it feels more that you’re painting a living world instead of painting a pool of pins to convert, if that makes sense. He definitely pulled my interest back and although not totally satisfied yet, I’m definite gonna be trying all future patches.

Can’t wait till republics become a bit less nebulous in terms of following leaders. Right now I’m having the most fun with dictatorships/monarchies.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

StarMinstrel posted:

Dunno if Johan still reads this thread after the initial thrashing, but he seems to be making, him and his team, great stride toward a decent product. I never had an opinion on the mana system, only that everything felt clunky/systemic/mechanical, and now it feels more that you’re painting a living world instead of painting a pool of pins to convert, if that makes sense. He definitely pulled my interest back and although not totally satisfied yet, I’m definite gonna be trying all future patches.

Can’t wait till republics become a bit less nebulous in terms of following leaders. Right now I’m having the most fun with dictatorships/monarchies.

I have tried to turn my Rome in a dictature and failed. I just cant get 80% popularist support. :shrug:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dalael posted:

I have tried to turn my Rome in a dictature and failed. I just cant get 80% popularist support. :shrug:

:same:

I've given up on the populists. Like three times I've tried tried to do it, and every time I just end up languishing in 75% hell, my handpicked dictator having inevitably having turned into an arthritic moron, and -33% PP stretching out to the horizon.

Long live the Republic.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I managed it once somehow but every other time I hit that 75% wall too. It’s really frustrating putting so much effort and resources into trying to manipulate a number you have no direct control over and getting so close only to slide back to 50 or 60% over and over. I hope that gets tweaked at some point. They could just change the required populist support to 70 and you’d still have to put some effort in but it’d be actually reasonably doable

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jazerus posted:

I get that, but I still feel that it'd make more sense if there was a "wait to see what happens" part, if things could just go wrong and not work as intended (like it often happens in CK2, but the game is balanced around that while EU4 and Imperator clearly aren't) - we know exactly what will happen because the game is all about getting incremental modifiers to things, you know what those modifiers are and it's relatively easy to understand how to get the result you want, and there is no chance of failure. I guess I'm one of those that treat the games like board games (even though I still value some immersion, and I still love CK2 which doesn't feel like a board game at all)

Again, on claims, in EU4 there's a point, a decision to be made: getting an extra claim or not? Do I take more time to get more claims and prepare for war, or do I pounce now while their allies are at war? Will someone else declare on them before me, robbing me of the chance to get those claimed lands for myself? In Imperator it just doesn't feel that way to me; I just want a claim to start a war, if I have a truce or am too high on AE and planning to conquer a few highly populated provinces I might want to get another one, but it's pretty rare since it takes a comparatively long time and the game is shorter than other Paradox games (277 years vs CK2's minimum of 387, and EU4's 376...) - 99% of the time I just want a casus belli. That waiting period just irritates me because there's no "choice" to be made, I want a claim, and I want it ASAP, there's no real risk or tradeoff involved in waiting two more years for a claim in my experience since the geopolitical situation remains very stable generally, it's just waiting because the game said so. It could be better if you had different way of getting casus belli... as far as I can tell, having a claim is the only one you ever get.

This reminds me: I was pretty excited about stability being on a 0-100 dynamic scale tending to equilibrium at 50 over time, but in game it doesn't feel very good

The button to push to raise stability is relatively expensive and really doesn't speed the rate of stability gain very much, and except for laws, successions, and random events (of those, only laws are a real big hit generally) there's not a lot of way to manipulate it. Yes you can sacrifice a lot of pigs for a lot of currency, getting 5 years of great stability growth... which will then decline very quickly to 50 anyway, because the higher it is, the faster it ticks down. I rarely have it under 40 (unless I'm changing laws) or over 60, even if I try to manipulate it but without completely neglecting the rest of my stuff, because the effort to get there is way more than what you'd gain. Right now I tried something: starting from a stability of 60 and 500PI, I spent literally all my influence in stabbing pigs, and got +1 ticking stability per month. After 5 years I'm at 80 stability, and now that the pigs expired I get a decay of 0.55 which will put me back where I was in about 4 years or so (maybe 5). If I wanted to keep it up, I can spend my 180 or so PI gained in those 5 years to reduce the decay to 0.15, meaning I get a couple more years of stability around 70 before the decay really kicks in (and 0 PI available, and no PI use at all for the past 5 years of course). How are you even supposed to get it to 100? Do nothing but stab pigs?

Basically it feels like Estates in EU4, which is the worst part of that game for me.

Game is still very good, mind, I'm just venting here. Plus, there's still many patches, DLC etc to go through so I'm willing to bet that it will all make much more sense later on. :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 17, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
About timers, immersion and again why many didn't like the switch from EU3 to EU4.

Timers (and also gradual fill of some bars with resources a la EU3 technology progress or, in a sense, Civilization scientific progress) also give strategic depth do decisions. Many old school people despised EU3 for lack of this. When you decide you want a new tech, higher stability, lower autonomy etc you just get it instantly. You don't have to plan ahead. It also means that in theory attacking someone unstable and with bad military tech might be pointless cause they had enough MP to instantly get well. The right way to play is not to plan well what will you need in a few years but to know if you might need spare resources which is a much simpler decision. Pro-EU4 point of view is probably that the planning you lose is compensated with flexibility: it was a rare occasion when you would stray from a safe play of preparing for the worst, spending resources on all techs at the same time and so on.

Curiously EU4 also has many more of those addictive bars to fill. In EU3 a lot of things you do had a chance of success: missionaries could theoretically convert any province in a year with a bit of luck, spies had a chance to generate a claim (or core), merchants had a chance to compete in a trade center. Nowadays you can only see stuff like that in colonizing, and even there it's just auxiliary. Also warfare, of course. Instead of a more chaotic, simulationist environment of EU3 (remember, diplomacy there was percentage-based, so you never knew if those guys who are Very Likely to defend you in an alliance will really do it) you got a strategic game where most of the things are deterministic. You will convert this province in 18 months, you'll have enough MP to get a new tech by this date and if you want this is because you've spent points elsewhere, you get espionage points and that specific rate and will have those claims at this specific date. Note that CK2 is still full of chance-based stuff even where Imperator does very similar things differently. Like in Imperator health is deterministic mechanic, in CK2 it constantly affects a dice roll checking whether your ruler dies.

So many oldschool EU3 fans liked Paradox games as roleplaying simulations and didn't want to get a more complex version of Age of Empires or whatever. And of course many strategically-inclined people like decisions that have weight behind them and view points as the antithesis of that. Paradox didn't help also by calling them POINTS (it's often called POWER but it's not consistent, even wiki calls them monarch points quite often) as opposed to envoys they had previously.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah I think going for what you describe for EU3 or a CK2 type way of doing those decisions would make them more interesting, and bring characters in more. They do a little bit, since your rulers stats influence how quick the claims complete, but they are 100% chance. As well I do not think they should be called claims, as in this period you weren't going around fabricating documents that said you totally should own this clay. Just call them justifications since you know it's a famous tactic of the Romans to claim they were attacked and thus this war is totally defensive and justified and we're just going to take all their land and make them slaves.

You could roll in the randomness in some places as is fairly easily too. Like instead of omens being push this button every 5 years for x bonus, make it so when you click it, there's an event based on the skill of your current high priest, perhaps the omens are incredibly beneficial and you gain more than the listed bonus, or perhaps the drat chickens say it's not the time yet and you get less of the benefit.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

But Johan is clearly more interested in strategy rather than simulation. So it seems now he allowed other people to bring indirectly controlled systems into the game. It's not just updated, it's transformed into something with a different philosophy. I think Stellaris had a transformation into an opposite direction - chaotic world became less chaotic with starlanes, but I don't know that game that well.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ilitarist posted:

But Johan is clearly more interested in strategy rather than simulation. So it seems now he allowed other people to bring indirectly controlled systems into the game. It's not just updated, it's transformed into something with a different philosophy. I think Stellaris had a transformation into an opposite direction - chaotic world became less chaotic with starlanes, but I don't know that game that well.

The transition to star lanes wasn't just more chaotic --> less chaotic. It was bad design --> good design. The release version of FTL systems was not only imbalanced, it was complete nonsense and unfun to play with.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 19, 2019

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

... not from a general.

It sorta makes sense, they're being reassigned from the control of the general, to the province's governor.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://steamcommunity.com/games/859580/announcements/detail/1580126850055048474

didn't see anyone post this yet

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

>Character Experience System: The more characters are asked to do, the better they become. Cultivate young talent as they climb the ranks, with new events for experienced statesmen.

EUR and I:R was already better about it than CK2 but I always wondered in those games how can a teen - even if he's genius - do a better job as accountant or a general than your average guy with 30 years of experience. Today you can argue that older guys could have problems understanding what PDF means but back in BC times I can't imagine problems such as that.

On the other hand, let's hope it doesn't turn into the extremely gamey system.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Pruning the families a bit sounds like a good Idea though since every time I opened the family screen I got overwhelmed by a bunch of meaningless nobodies and never opened it again.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, it was a very strange decision to make dozens of them. At the same time one of the incentives for conquering seems to be getting more families even know. Not sure how will it work, prominence will hit the reproduction system of lesser people even harder?

Also they offer graphical improvements again. It seems that they've reworked their engine a lot cause in few months Imperator got more graphical upgrades than CK2 or EU4 ever did. Now they promise burning cities which we can all agree is good.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Never not crucify everyone.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, it was a very strange decision to make dozens of them. At the same time one of the incentives for conquering seems to be getting more families even know.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Never not crucify everyone.

I think this is one of those things that changes a lot based on who you play as. I've mainly just done Rome so far, so maybe as a smaller tribal you really need more families as you start expanding. But for Rome the idea of ever wanting, much less needing more families is kind of laughable. You will have scorned families basically the entire run. Maybe if you have really have a good run and grab just astounding amounts of land you'd need more to people to manage it. Mainly you just headhunt for individuals with amazing stats, and the rest are left to God to sort out.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
i dont even care, i have to burn this constant Aggressive Expansion. Roma Invicta!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This all sounds v good, especially reworking families

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Fewer families and characters that you have to invest into to get good results both sound extremely good.

I'm not a huge CK2 fan (I liked when it was a medieval Europe themed strategy game and not a dynastic power fantasy RPG) but one of the things I did enjoy a lot was educating your children and going through various event chains which let you choose how to develop your characters.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

RabidWeasel posted:

(I liked when it was a medieval Europe themed strategy game and not a dynastic power fantasy RPG)

Ignoring the supernatural and absurd events you can turn off for a second, was it ever anything other than a dynastic power fantasy?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
INFERNO GRAPHICS.

Works best with BLAST PROCESSING.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Ignoring the supernatural and absurd events you can turn off for a second, was it ever anything other than a dynastic power fantasy?

Before the old gods I'd say yes. There just wasn't that much in the game which really played into the "make your ruler into a huge badass" side of things, it was just a strategy map game like EU4 but with a significant but not overwhelming focus on characters.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RabidWeasel posted:

Before the old gods I'd say yes. There just wasn't that much in the game which really played into the "make your ruler into a huge badass" side of things, it was just a strategy map game like EU4 but with a significant but not overwhelming focus on characters.

I don't really think that's true, even CK1 was always billed as "The Sims but in Medieval Times".

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Beamed posted:

I don't really think that's true, even CK1 was always billed as "The Sims but in Medieval Times".

I refuse to believe anyone who actually played CK1 would call it this but people have weird opinions about things so it's possible.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I agree it wasn't really that, but it's how people talked about it - it was always considered more of an RPG (though this isn't really right either) than an EU4-esque game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Devs didn't realize they'r selling medieval Sims even when they were doing CK2. That's why they've made it GSG with a GSG UI and made sure that at all times most of the screen is filled with either map or ledger. And shipped the game with 2 portrait packs. See older devidaries:

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Developer_diaries#Base_game

They say it's a character driven game but there are 3 devdiaries on war but very few directly related to characters.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Finally got back to this instead of Stellaris since the big patch for that game is coming later this year, and got my Epirus game off to a great start by successfully choking Macedon out from the rest of Greece by taking their key mountain fort that allows passage to the peninsula. Also went on a rampage in their capital and two cities, and man, tall play is definitely viable when you're a bastard hauling slaves back to the homeland from wars.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Yeah, you can get some pretty ridiculous science going if you don't take land, but go in a lot of wars and take slaves by provincial occupation.

But then you're not painting the map?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
In my current Atropatene -> Media game, I've taken so many slaves from the Seleucids that I've had to spend thousands of ducats evacuating them from my capital and some provincial capitals to prevent starvation. I think that there should be a mechanism for food imports (maybe just from neighboring provinces) that doesn't require spending a trade route on 5 measly food, but it's a pretty cool problem to have. I guess the real lesson is to never put your capital in a province with mostly mountains and hills and few or no food producing resources, although in my case forming Media moved it there against my will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
OK, now that I'm getting back into the game, I assume the usual strategy for where to put your pops is dependent on terrain and goods, yes? Stuff like:

- Establish cities on farmland for higher pop capacity, then concentrate on either freemen or slaves depending on whether the trade good is valuable.

- Build the appropriate settlement upgrade on regions with good resources and funnel pops to them.

And so on and so forth, yes? I feel like I already hosed up by turning Kassope into a city since it got an influx of slaves from my war with Macedon, but it has livestock and is a hills region and so might be better off as a food producer instead.