Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Rime posted:

I can't take the opinion seriously of anyone who looks at the most brutal humanitarian crisis in latin america in a generation and still spouts off that bullshit. Millions are starving to death? Nah fam, right wing coup attempt. :fuckoff:

Millions of people aren't starving to death in Venezuela and it was a literal by definition coup attempt. You're an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon posted:

Millions of people aren't starving to death in Venezuela and it was a literal by definition coup attempt. You're an idiot

The crisis in Venezuela went critical years before anything that resembled a coup attempt because oil prices took a dive.

You can maybe argue that happened mostly as a geopolitical attack on Russia but Venezuela was an incidental thing, not the primary target.

How did this forum get so full of tankies?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Please don't doxx me like this.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
America hegemony never had an interest in venzuala prior to the price collapse. That's just the cold hard D&D truth and any suggestion otherwise means you're a god drat tankie

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The Communist infiltration of this forum cannot stand!

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon posted:

https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=621563128

quote:

GARCIA: Take a typical Venezuelan worker, someone who makes the minimum wage. If he spent every single bolivar from his wage on that cheapest food available, how many calories could he buy in one day? Here is the incredible and frankly devastating answer from Ricardo.

HAUSMANN: This is a calculation that went from buying 57,000 calories a day in 2012 to buying less than 900 calories today.

GARCIA: Nine hundred calories - that's today's Planet Money indicator. Nine hundred calories is all the calories that the minimum wage will get you in Venezuela after working an entire day.

HAUSMANN: Which means that, you know, if a person normally spends over 2,000 calories a day, it means that a worker cannot feed myself, let alone his family. He - and that's assuming he doesn't spend anything in clothing, in transportation, in medicines, in housing, et cetera. So it just gives you a sense of how catastrophic is the collapse in income.

VANEK SMITH: To put that 900 calories in context, in the United States, you can buy more than 100,000 calories in one day on the minimum wage. So Venezuelan people are starving. And Ricardo told us about a couple of other similar statistics that also tell this story.

HAUSMANN: The other thing we did is we measured it just in eggs. How many eggs can you buy? Well, before, you know, in a day you could buy several dozen eggs. Now you can buy two eggs. That's it - two eggs. And that was important for us to calculate because it's not just calories. It's also proteins that people need. So, you know, right now people in Venezuela can buy two eggs. Recently people have calculated, what is the cost of a Big Mac - how long does it take you to work to make enough to buy a Big Mac? And in Venezuela right now, that's a month and a half.

??????????

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For an economy that is entirely based on the price of oil, I guess I can see how you're all happy that it has completely collapsed due to the benevolence of nicholas maduro.

edit: I forgot this gem.

quote:

VANEK SMITH: The inevitable result of this has been that Venezuelans are losing a lot of weight. A survey from three universities in Venezuela found that the average Venezuelan lost 24 pounds last year because they could not afford to eat. And hundreds of thousands of children are at risk of dying from starvation and malnutrition.

Canpol tankies: But this will reduce the rate of obesity in Venezuela.

incontinence 100 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 20, 2019

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
you joke, but Venezuela's number two problem after the thieving kleptocrats that intentionally damned the country is an utter failure to diversify and reinvest their oil money, just like Alberta.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Hausmann works for guaido and the coup

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I'm not going to go to bat for Maduro or the government of Venezuela, especially not in this of all threads, but it's worth noting that the guy being interviewed here as an authority on the Venezuelan economy was a member of the austerity-imposing IMF-backed governments of Venezuela in the 80s and 90s, whose policies led to the mass social unrest that Chavez was a response to, and was also part of the recent coup attempt against Maduro, so I wouldn't really treat him as an unbiased source of impartial information about whether or not Maduro is doing a good job as president.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWCVMPTkPeA

He's just a lovable oaf you guys.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

The rational and pragmatic thing to do for the veuzenal Middle Class is to cancel our arms sales to saudi arabia and sell them to anti-maduro forces instead

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon posted:

Yeah you dummies. Maduro himself said there is no crisis. He would know!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Let's take it to the venezuela thread people

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Reality Sinner posted:

There's a federal election tomorrow, wonder what Goons are talking about in the CanPol thread...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Reality Sinner posted:

that thread's closed actually haha

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

thehoodie posted:

There's a federal election tomorrow, wonder what Goons are talking about in the CanPol thread...

This is pretty standard coping mechanism for this thread. Deep down we still all fear a Conservative majority because some idiot decided we should keep FPTP.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Now Magazine endorses... 338 Canada?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I feel like this is the kind of slogan that sounds good in your head and then you say it out loud.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mediaphage posted:

I feel like this is the kind of slogan that sounds good in your head and then you say it out loud.

It's also just stolen from democratic presidential hopeful Andrew Yang.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

less than three posted:

It's also just stolen from democratic presidential hopeful Andrew Yang.

Pretty sure it was used by the PEI Greens in their last provincial election.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Honestly it’s so generic I’m sure it’s been used in dozens of campaigns regardless of party; it’s political pablum.

I just think it’s funny because who are they kidding? How many people who’d consider voting Greens would be worried about where they fell on the political spectrum?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Twirling, twirling towards freedom

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

xtal posted:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Now Magazine endorses... 338 Canada?

lmao

quote:

Each of the three progressive party leaders is disappointing and imperfect in their own way. But they also are generally well-intentioned, climate positive and have important perspectives to add. Their platforms actually speak more to what they have in common than what makes them opponents.

Take a look around the world, my friends. From that perspective, Justin Trudeau, Jagmeet Singh and Elizabeth May are an unusually impressive crew. What we need is for these party leaders to be frenemies, not enemies. They actually need each other more than they realize, though for different reasons.

if this is somehow true it's an indictment of the world rather than a compliment to our garbage-tier political class

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A better world isn't possible, but a worse one is. Vote Green

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

xtal posted:

We prefer "spiralling"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

lmao

if this is somehow true it's an indictment of the world rather than a compliment to our garbage-tier political class

It definitely manages to be insulting to all of them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Isn't the Liberal slogan some variation on "Not left or right, but forward" too?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Isn't the Liberal slogan some variation on "Not left or right, but forward" too?

"Campaign from the left, govern from the right" isn't really their slogan, but it's close enough.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

"Choose Forward"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Not left, not right as there's no steering wheel you see

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Basically every party is using the same slogan this campaign, I thought I posted them back at the start but can't find it now.

CPC: It’s time for you to get ahead.
LPC: Choose Forward
GPC: Not left. Not right. Forward together.
NDP: In it for you

PPC: Strong and free.
Marxist-Leninist: Humanize the natural and social environment!
Communist: People and Nature before Profit!

James Baud fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 21, 2019

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Does anyone point out that that implies they don't want anything to change, to keep going on the way we are now? Seems kind of a dumb saying, especially if you aren't the incumbent.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

James Baud posted:

Marxist-Leninist: Humanize the natural and social environment!
Communist: People and Nature before Profit!

Oof. I like their ideas, but the slogans need work. Yikes.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Human Party: Money for people

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Chile is the new Venezuela

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
There was definitely some kind of data study that chose "forward" as some kind of ideal keyword

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Let's relive Grenier's greatest hit on E-Day eve

https://twitter.com/dmrider/status/1186091320210837504?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/Cagatay_Erdem/status/1186093360295088129
https://twitter.com/Cagatay_Erdem/status/1186098566135189506
:goonsay:

Leave it to stats nerds to completely misunderstand why their projections are loving useless.

92% accuracy and all that.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 21, 2019