Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You have to remember the field of people talking about comics and not just reviewing them is like, ten people? And I probably know half of them on a first name basis, it's a small group. And most of those people don't bother with mainline marvel/DC poo poo because most of those books are hot garbage so you end up with idiots like me who decide to hate read a book and get three pages in and start screaming about SHUT THE gently caress UP LIBERALLLLLLL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyway here's a good tweet about comics that isn't by me https://twitter.com/JeremyMonjo/status/1185359192833396738?s=19

Edit I went off private here's a couple tweets with pahes that I think are emblematic of this run. I'm linking tweets because j reset my phone the other day and lost all the saved images and downloading images I uploaded to Twitter so I can reupload them here seems dumb

https://twitter.com/KamenRiderUno/status/1179924421311651845?s=19

And it's fascinating how lib it is because there's a really easy leftist run here, as a follow up to Nazi Cap taking over America, which is: cap admits this wasn't just a one off thing, that Evil Cap exploited deep flaws in America, things that have been allowed to fester because it didn't affect the people in charge or because they could exploit those things themselves, and swearing that he was going to tackle those causes and doing basically what Mark Waid did in the run before this which is becomin a wandering folk hero standing up for the little guy, but more overt, like just straight up going after the people really responsible for the poverty and misery that hydra exploited in some golden age Superman kick the governors rear end poo poo

But no

BENGHAZI 2 has issued a correction as of 23:46 on Oct 20, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Why don't you just read manga?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

Basically the only thing I havent read that is really like to is Asterix bc I can't find a decent scan online

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also I'm on private mode bc Cinema Robert decided to sic his mouthbreather fans on me so I can't even link the tweets lmbo

Jesus christ that guy sucks so bad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/KamenRiderUno/status/1180220428251467781?s=19

A reminder that Captain America has renounced his costumed identity multiple times as a response to being disgusted with his government and lead a resistance movement against what he saw as a law that would be leveraged badly to force superheros to be tools for the government

And then iron Man started locking up people on caps side in a black site prison, entirely justifying his worries

But yeah how can I fight against the govt

https://twitter.com/KamenRiderUno/status/1180225732213182464?s=19

I just like this page because you know he means this to be villains trying to justify their actions but no they're right they're absolutely right

Fake edit this I think is my problem with this run in two posts

https://twitter.com/KamenRiderUno/status/1180226413086904320?s=19

BENGHAZI 2 has issued a correction as of 00:12 on Oct 21, 2019

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
so is there like a trans anime avi generator or something because noone’s told me about it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Killjoy posted:

so is there like a trans anime avi generator or something because noone’s told me about it

Unironically yes, https://picrew.me/image_maker/94097

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Basically the only thing I havent read that is really like to is Asterix bc I can't find a decent scan online

That sucks, I remember my library had a bunch of copies when I was a kid

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

StashAugustine posted:

That sucks, I remember my library had a bunch of copies when I was a kid

My library was less good about comics, I mostly read classic bronze age marvel stuff and elfquest

I also read The Tick and Dark Knight Returns and Moore's swamp thing when I was way too young for the last two and the three of them probably warped my brain the most

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I mean Asterix made me care about history way too much so to each their own

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

the big problem with flagship comic properties is that they can never embody a singular creative vision. as time goes on you have to hand it off to other people, and some of them either aren't going to care about the continuity or won't get the implications and where it should go. so they just end up repeating the same beats over time.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

that 60 dollar buddha statue would be sick as the centerpiece of a garden.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

is there an english version because i only speak American.

e:

Go for all three, one of them's gotta make you happy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the big problem with flagship comic properties is that they can never embody a singular creative vision. as time goes on you have to hand it off to other people, and some of them either aren't going to care about the continuity or won't get the implications and where it should go. so they just end up repeating the same beats over time.

I mean my lovely response is to go "wow thanks" but tnc is definitely in the "not getting it" camp, because the consensus seems to be "this is like, the opposite of how cap air quotes should react to this situation"

I think the dissonance is made more interesting by coates' status as a lib intellectual because not only do you see him misunderstand some pretty basic and accepted truths of the character you can see why he doesnt get it, ideologically

Like cap doing a hard turn into being a racist dictator because of a fart box made more sense, from a character standpoint, than this! Because Nick Spencer is a shithead but he also gets that cap doesn't worship the people in charge, he loves the idea and the promise of what America can be, where tnc's run is full of this deference to authority and lamenting the wrong people being in charge

And like, maybe it's just a really Galaxy Brain con where cap is wrong for all of the things he thinks and my ideological complaints are negated but you're still left with him not getting it as the writer

Also he's just fuckin bad at it, it's over narrated and he doesn't let the art do any of the work

It sucks too because even if secret empire and the stuff leading to it was hot garbage cap in the 21st century has been relatively thematically consistent and all of it has been true to those core ideas of the character, the ones that have been spelled out time and time again, even when they go weird places like the double Mobius reacharound of secret empire

BENGHAZI 2 has issued a correction as of 01:00 on Oct 21, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

T-man posted:

is there an english version because i only speak American.

I mean click the thing you assume to be the ok button or use your browsers translate to English option? I know chrome has that idk about anyhing else

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

OctoberCountry posted:

Jesus christ that guy sucks so bad

he rules, he's a wonderful embodiment of liberalism.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also I am actually planning on writing something about this because I'm really bad at explaining my problems with it here and also the "well there is no real true consistency to big two books" discussion is loving boring and played out and I do want to explain this poo poo in a way that isn't just pointing to me live tweeting it and also it's something that's fairly concrete for me to write about which is hard to find in a project involving 2150 issues of a single comic

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

T-man posted:

Go for all three, one of them's gotta make you happy

there can only be one

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
all marvel and dc heroes should be public domain.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Equeen posted:

Duh

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who the gently caress is reading comics still, besides nerds like yall they read every single one that comes out

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Larry Parrish posted:

Who the gently caress is reading comics still, besides nerds like yall they read every single one that comes out

I actually read less than ever now that I'm not at the shop

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

shut up nerd

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Equeen posted:

Honestly to my mind some of the more fun big two comics are those that involve public domain characters. Tomb of Dracula loving ruled and who doesn't want to see Dracula fight the Silver Surfer? Dumb people, that's who

I'm super out of the loop on comics lately but my dime store analysis is that Ed Brubaker making Cap really matter again on top of the inherent symbolism has made Cap into a trap. He's too potent of a figure so everyone thinks they'll be able to tell a really weighty story about ~duty~ or whatever the hell. we were better off when Mark Gruenwald was the high water mark for the character

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

theres always stardust the super wizard

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shakenbaker posted:

Honestly to my mind some of the more fun big two comics are those that involve public domain characters. Tomb of Dracula loving ruled and who doesn't want to see Dracula fight the Silver Surfer? Dumb people, that's who

I'm super out of the loop on comics lately but my dime store analysis is that Ed Brubaker making Cap really matter again on top of the inherent symbolism has made Cap into a trap. He's too potent of a figure so everyone thinks they'll be able to tell a really weighty story about ~duty~ or whatever the hell. we were better off when Mark Gruenwald was the high water mark for the character

The notable runs since then we're Remender doing some weird sci fi poo poo, bad Nick Spencer runs about Nazi cap, the bad Nick Spencer run about falcon cap, and mark Waid doing cap getting frozen again and he wakes up in a post apocalyptic America where he starts explaining the Constitution and someone's like yeah it's only been five years dude how long did you think you were out which was really good because mark Waid is really good at cap

You haven't missed much is what I'm saying

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bro Dad posted:

theres always stardust the super wizard

I want to say the guy behind stardust, Fletcher hanks, also did a Frankenstein comic where the monster steals the animals from a zoo

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The notable runs since then we're Remender doing some weird sci fi poo poo, bad Nick Spencer runs about Nazi cap, the bad Nick Spencer run about falcon cap, and mark Waid doing cap getting frozen again and he wakes up in a post apocalyptic America where he starts explaining the Constitution and someone's like yeah it's only been five years dude how long did you think you were out which was really good because mark Waid is really good at cap

You haven't missed much is what I'm saying

good to know I'm not super out of the loop. also glad that Waid is still putting out decent stuff, I fell off from comics while he was doing that Hulk run a few years back. those Simonson issues :allears:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
TrueAnon just taught me this so now I am unironically the Joker

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MizPiz posted:

TrueAnon just taught me this so now I am unironically the Joker

to this day I wonder where Guy Gardner was during this and why he didn't nuke the Joker for orbit. he was a dickhead Reagan supporter in the 80s and it would've been so perfect

edit: the Iran stuff, not the I-can't-believe-it's-not-Iraq stuff

Shakenbaker has issued a correction as of 04:43 on Oct 21, 2019

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dr. Killjoy posted:

if you want to fight dickeye, you can fight me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shakenbaker posted:

good to know I'm not super out of the loop. also glad that Waid is still putting out decent stuff, I fell off from comics while he was doing that Hulk run a few years back. those Simonson issues :allears:

I mean he's hit or miss, when he's in full cranky old man mode he flops but his good stuff is still S-tier

Read the current hulk book

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is that the horror-y Hulk book? I've heard it's really good but I don't have a reading device at the moment.

I could use my desktop I guess but then I can't chill in my sun chair outside and listen to parrots scream so what's the point?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shakenbaker posted:

Is that the horror-y Hulk book? I've heard it's really good but I don't have a reading device at the moment.

I could use my desktop I guess but then I can't chill in my sun chair outside and listen to parrots scream so what's the point?

Yeah, it's easily the best thing Marvel's put out in the not quite a decade I was at the shop

Including fractions Hawkeye

Edit I'm fuckin doing the thing you assholes better appreciate that I'm smashing my face into this thing again for you

BENGHAZI 2 has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Oct 21, 2019

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

shut up nerd

https://youtu.be/-okmmr2_eAQ

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

I read the Spider-man comics as a child, and I remember the plot at the time involved Spider-man, Spider-man's angsty clone, and I think also Spider-man's evil clone.

Back then comics were something I'd pick up for like $3 when going with my parents to the grocery store. I wonder when specifically they transitioned into a specific nerd-only thing that could only be purchased in specialty nerd shops.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

ya'll are nerds and comic books are the lowest form of visual medium and also aren't art

also video games are art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Ytlaya posted:

I read the Spider-man comics as a child, and I remember the plot at the time involved Spider-man, Spider-man's angsty clone, and I think also Spider-man's evil clone.

Back then comics were something I'd pick up for like $3 when going with my parents to the grocery store. I wonder when specifically they transitioned into a specific nerd-only thing that could only be purchased in specialty nerd shops.

They brought all of that back and made the evil clone cool and added a doc ock in spiderman clone. The angsty clone was just the real spider-man and real spider-man turned to clone dust then came back 2 years ago as another clone who is evil for unknown reasons.

Edit: this all happened before the guy who made captain america a nazi took over writing spider-man and his supervillain roommates.

Just read the black spider-man. He is good