Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

veni veni veni posted:

Wrong. Embrace not death gripping them and they feel great. Much like my general demeanor when playing switch I hold the controller nice and relaxed.

I don't death grip. I have huge hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want a rerelease of Megaman Legends but I also won't buy it unless they remove the pedophile voice actor so I'm the problem why its not getting released, sorry everyone.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Wrong. Embrace not death gripping them and they feel great. Much like my general demeanor when playing switch I hold the controller nice and relaxed.

This reminds me when my friend who could palm a basketball said everyone who called the original xbox controller too big was probably just cramping up from getting mad at halo.

I bet you like the original NES controller, too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Unpopular opinion-- if a platformer requires more than 2 face buttons to pull off complex maneuvers, it isn't that great. I'm looking at you Megaman X3 with your loving dash jumps.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Unpopular opinion-- if a platformer requires more than 2 face buttons to pull off complex maneuvers, it isn't that great. I'm looking at you Megaman X3 with your loving dash jumps.

Always map Dash to R :eng101:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

Super Mario World has normal jump AND spin jump as seperate buttons. I donno if I can tolerate someone saying SMW is a bad platformer

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Always map Dash to R :eng101:

If I can, I do, and it always gets better, but it's rarer than it should be when it comes to SNES games.

Rutibex posted:

Super Mario World has normal jump AND spin jump as seperate buttons. I donno if I can tolerate someone saying SMW is a bad platformer

And your mutant crab claws might be able to make sense of it, but I've never been able to.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The original NES controller was good, so was the Duke controller, except for the bad D-pad

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Shibawanko posted:

The original NES controller was good, so was the Duke controller, except for the bad D-pad

Now these are the bad opinions I come to this thread for

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I dunno if this is unpopular but drat Crash Bandicoot is janky as hell. I never played it when it came out and got the HD collection with Humble Monthly, so I'm not mad about spending money or anything and am trying not to judge it too hard by modern standards.... but most of the platforming feels lovely, all the enemy hitboxes are just dumb, and most of the hardest secrets are just stupid out of view stuff with no real hints or indication of any kind. Not to mention its only personality is pretty much Dreamworks Face: The Game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Martman posted:

I dunno if this is unpopular but drat Crash Bandicoot is janky as hell. I never played it when it came out and got the HD collection with Humble Monthly, so I'm not mad about spending money or anything and am trying not to judge it too hard by modern standards.... but most of the platforming feels lovely, all the enemy hitboxes are just dumb, and most of the hardest secrets are just stupid out of view stuff with no real hints or indication of any kind. Not to mention its only personality is pretty much Dreamworks Face: The Game.

its not modern standards. i remember playing crash bandicoot when it first came out and it sucked then too

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I remember Crash 3: Warped feeling considerably better than the original Crash, at least.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Martman posted:

crash 1 has some neat ideas but is more bad than good, start with 2 unless you are deeply invested in the backstory of the talking animals and why the science man hates them

Oldstench posted:

I don't death grip. I have huge hands.

i have giant freaky spider hands that i use to play piano and also the nintendo switch via joycons with no issue

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the other reason to play crash 1 is if you’re a masochist because it is probably the hardest game I’ve played

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Martman posted:

Crash 1 was real fuckin' hard when it came out and the remake screwed up the platforming difficulty in a few ways, making an already hard game even harder.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Even stuff like Crash's Indian Jones-knockoff boulder running levels were seen as bullshit at the time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

the other reason to play crash 1 is if you’re a masochist because it is probably the hardest game I’ve played
as a confirmed Leet Gamer it was more just obnoxious, I was able to collect all the doodads in like 6 hours but the majority of my deaths felt more like the mechanics just feeling off than from genuine failure

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 21, 2019

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Martman posted:

Crash sucks real hard. Like I never knew so many people were so excited for the remasters because the originals were terrible. I distinctly remember being a kid and hating the poo poo out of the whole drat thing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Crash sucked but if you didnt have a nintendobox, it was the closest to a Mario you were gonna get. It was either that or Spyro, after all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The late 90s and early 2000s just weren't a great time for console gaming overall. The PSX and its contemporaries were a big step up from the previous generation, and no one really knew what to do with all of that for a while.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You say that like Spyro wasnt flat out superior to Mario.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ultrafilter posted:

The PSX and its contemporaries were a big step up from the previous generation, and no one really knew what to do with all of that for a while.
It doesn't help that they were figuring out control schemes and best practices as they went.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

You say that like Spyro wasnt flat out superior to Mario.

Eh, as a big fan and currently playing the remakes, Spyro is solid but doesn't really have the wow moments or variety of Mario. Really well presented though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mario 64 was super cool and got everything technical right but the way Mario controls and the way levels are designed in 64 just didnt click with me at all which is why I prefer Spyro. The later Mario 3d land games were vastly more my jam for frame of reference.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

PinheadSlim posted:

Fair enough, I figured there was something else I was missing. As a robot the interface is no problem for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-GTcHZkfCs

Here's a vid accurately representing how it feels being able to play Dwarf Fortress

Also almost exactly how to look at insurance claims at an insurance company.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The driving in GTA4 was fantastic and if you hated it, it was probably because you never touched the brake except to reverse out of the wall you hit.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The driving in GTA4 was definitely the best...for making comedy youtube videos.

racistman3D RIP

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I am really looking forward to the official dwarf fortress release on steam with the official graphics packs and all. Those boys have long deserved a big day. I know that it's not a game about graphics at all, but i hope that one day DF achieves a level of polish to its UI and aesthetics that are able to even better compliment all the insane work that has gone into the game, and the steam release seems like a good step in that direction. I couldn't imagine a more complete and comprehensive computer game than that

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DF mostly needs gameplay fixes rather than UI fixes if you ask me, some things don't really make sense, like the way emotions work now or some things are frustratingly close to being really cool but ultimately kind of useless (like the learning system), or just don't work properly (like the military).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

DF mostly needs gameplay fixes rather than UI fixes if you ask me, some things don't really make sense, like the way emotions work now or some things are frustratingly close to being really cool but ultimately kind of useless (like the learning system), or just don't work properly (like the military).
sounds like real life!!!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The DKC underwater music isn't good, it's a lazy piece of generic rear end new age music. I like to listen to videogame music on youtube in the background while I'm doing stuff and I hate how that song always comes back since youtube autoplays lowest common denominator videos.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

The DKC underwater music isn't good, it's a lazy piece of generic rear end new age music. I like to listen to videogame music on youtube in the background while I'm doing stuff and I hate how that song always comes back since youtube autoplays lowest common denominator videos.

i wouldn't say it's necessarily bad either, but you're right - in the sea of slammin' hits that it the DKC soundtrack, the underwater theme is weak as hell

e: the only good underwater theme for a platformer is from Super Mario Bros 1

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

e: the only good underwater theme for a platformer is from Super Mario Bros 1

WRONG!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

ring fit adventure is goofy but way good

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

planet coaster is a very impressive video game in that it must have been incredibly difficult to design, engineer and create something with so many fun-looking options that is actually completely devoid of fun

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

planet coaster is a very impressive video game in that it must have been incredibly difficult to design, engineer and create something with so many fun-looking options that is actually completely devoid of fun

I was just thinking about this the other day, and I think where this game, and many others like it, fall apart for a lot of people is that there is no human connection.

The game is almost entirely text based, with little to no spoken dialogue. There is no real mascot character guiding you through the experience, telling you how to do things and encouraging your efforts with spoken dialogue. Even the park visitors and employees are just grinning homonculi who communicate entire in vague laughs, screams, and non-descript sighs. Everything is communicated entirely through static text boxes.

Obviously a lot of people still love these games for their minutiae, but I would love if games like this or Cities had a fun little advisor character that would speak to you about how to use the tools, or pop up with little asides about the state of the park/city. Cheer you on for new constructions, or jeer you if you've screwed up. Just give it a little human touch to at least make it seem like your not playing a graphics heavy spreadsheet.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

that would be a great theory except roller coaster tycoon 2 and 3 don't have that either and are still delightful

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

RCT2 is one of the best games ever made, RCT3 sucked though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

that would be a great theory except roller coaster tycoon 2 and 3 don't have that either and are still delightful

Sure, but RCT is a product of it's time. If it came out today, without years of nostalgia behind it, it may not seem so great anymore.

Heck, Parkitect came out and aped the style of the old RCT games, and hasn't exactly set the world on fire outside of a core RCT fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Games should cost more, but peoplr should also stop buying bad games.