Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
IDK about transitions visors specifically but I have always used Windex to clean my clear, tinted, and mirrored visors and none of them have crazed or fogged or anything. I think it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I like to remove mine and wash them in the sink with dish soap. Maybe overkill but I'm anal about having a crystal clear visor. Also makes it easy to get bugs off.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A generous squirt of dish soap does fine for me. Works on pinlocks too.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I only used Plexus until I tried it on a mirrored visor - works great on clear and tinted visors but it streaks the gently caress out of mirrored ones. Mild liquid soap = a+

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I remove mine and wash using a clean sponge and mild dish soap. Dry it out with an air compressor for that final touch! Or if you don't have one, use the hand dryer in your bathroom at work like I did for a while!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CheddarGoblin posted:

I like to remove mine and wash them in the sink with dish soap. Maybe overkill but I'm anal about having a crystal clear visor. Also makes it easy to get bugs off.

Same, or Plexus for a quick spray & wipe if I'm heading out the door.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

After I gear up but before I go out, I always point a bottle of Windex at my face and wipe it with a shop towel.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also provided you actually use the little bottle of silicone oil that comes with it so the visor seals don't perish.

Speaking of which, I finally got around to getting a tube of RTV to patch the upper seal on my neotec. Haven't rain tested it yet, but it's way quieter now, so at least it's keeping the wind out.

I'm still surprised you managed that, my RF-1100 did thousands of miles and 5 years, in rain and sun, got thrown on a mirror and left out in same, even used down to 20F and is currently thrown in a pile of random motorcycle poo poo in an exposed carport (too old, replaced, going to be used as target practice) and the seals are as plush and effective as they were day one.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I soak a few paper towels in warm water with dish soap and place them on the helmet for a few minutes.

Alternatively for lesser bug carnage or just dust or water spots I use a no-rinse car shampoo with warm water that I soak into micro fiber towels.

That option has the benefit of leaving a carnauba wax film behind that makes future cleaning easier.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I stick to just warm water and a microfiber towel. I'm always a little paranoid about what cleaning agents might react with the plastic or leave a weird residue. It might take a little pressure for tougher spots, but the towel physically can't scratch the plastic so I'm not concerned there.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

To the dude using a hand dryer at the office bathroom to dry his visor: gross
Do you know how many germs you are spraying on your face shield

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Do you know how many germs are all over your body right now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Do you know how many germs are all over your body right now

Duh, hence:

Alpha Phoenix posted:

After I gear up but before I go out, I always point a bottle of Windex at my face and wipe it with a shop towel.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

timn posted:

I stick to just warm water and a microfiber towel. I'm always a little paranoid about what cleaning agents might react with the plastic or leave a weird residue. It might take a little pressure for tougher spots, but the towel physically can't scratch the plastic so I'm not concerned there.

Yeah this is all I do. I've never had issues this way.

I have used Pledge to go over the helmet itself, and some Pledge with a microfiber does a great job of getting dark scuffs off fluoro yellow.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I bought an Arai and they just have a Japanese man in an apron clean my shield every time I’m done riding.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

A MIRACLE posted:

To the dude using a hand dryer at the office bathroom to dry his visor: gross
Do you know how many germs you are spraying on your face shield

I apologize for nothing!! Do you wash your gear after every ride? I'm sure it's covered in more filth than you can believe! (But at least it's your own filth)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

I bought an Arai and they just have a Japanese man in an apron clean my shield every time I’m done riding.

I've got a suomy I never wear because after every ride an Italian guy looks at my chicken strips, smirks and tosses his cigarette at me.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Buy actual riding pants, not Jean's, especially for that price.

Though, anecdotally, Tobacco is actually pretty drat good.

Cool. Some proper highway/long-distance pants are next on the list regardless since I want to do some more long-distance trips in the next few months.

I ask because also want a set of "casual" riding chinos and shirt(s) since 90% of my trips are urban (40-50kph max speed) and very short distance, and don't want to look like a penguin and overheat like one every-time I take the bike out to meet friends. So very much looking for opinions/recommendations on that sort of thing.

Edit: Send help, I've just realised I'm turning into a cafe hipster :frogbon:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Don't worry, you can always turn back (until you start shopping open face helmets because your waxed moustache won't fit in a full face)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Just look like a penguin it’s fine

Or ride a scooter in flip flops that’s fine too

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jomo posted:

Are Tobacco jeans worth it? I've seem them advertised and do like the look of them but it works out to be like $600 NZ dollars which is quite a bit. At that price I expect them to be mind-blowing in terms of comfort and look amazing to match. Any alternatives or are they "the best" for what you pay?

I can personally attest to their quality, as I went sliding down the highway at 60mph and didn’t lose any skin. They also look better than any other jeans I own, and sometimes I wear them even when I’m not riding.

The company is also great. After my wreck, I emailed them just to say thanks, and they sent me a free replacement pair.

They absolutely are not the most comfortable out of the box. They’re selvedge denim, so they take a while to break in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Is the visor up or down?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Went to the bike gear shop today, tried on a load of poo poo.

Decided to get the Hardanger. Had a bit of an issue at the shop with the legs binding, but I was wearing heavy Kevlar jeans underneath. Going to wait for it to get delivered to home and then try it with regular trousers.

The Rev’It Trench was nice, if the legs on the Hardanger don’t work out, I might get that.

Also bought some A* gloves and TCX Drifters. Which didn’t fit last time I tried them on, but did this time ???

Gonna be a wet winter, and I’m determined to stay bone dry.

[Edit] Do any glasses wearers have any tips for fogging in wet and cold environments? I’ve tried Respro Foggy, worked when it was cold, not cold and wet.
So far the only thing that’s worked is a Shoei Ex Zero that gives a constant stream of fresh air right into the eyes, But it’s kinda cold and wet.
Considering getting some sports glasses that form a cup around the eye socket, but not sure how effective they’d be.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 8, 2019

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I need to find a shop in LA that has the hardanger

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Horse Clocks posted:

[Edit] Do any glasses wearers have any tips for fogging in wet and cold environments?

Get LASIK. I never ever found anything I could put on my glasses that would keep them from fogging in a helmet when it was cold and/or wet, short of popping the visor a notch and dealing with my face being cold and/or wet, too. LASIK solved all of my vision-related problems (snark aside, it's seriously the best money I have ever spent).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or get the poor man's Lasik: contact lenses. Transformed the riding experience for me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jazzzzz posted:

(snark aside, it's seriously the best money I have ever spent)

There are few things I mark as milestones in my life, but pre-LASIK and post-LASIK are the two labels I assign to my meaningless existence. It was such a quality of life improvement.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

My friend who had lasik got haloing off lights at night in one eye, so it's not entirely risk free for motorcyclists who want to ride at night, but my friend says it's still totally worth it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Maybe the sale of my 125 can pay for pew pew eye surgery.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Martytoof posted:

Is the visor up or down?

Depends which is dirtier.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
LASIK is the best and idk why we don’t let... you know what, I was going somewhere but it’s just gonna end at ‘gently caress insurance in America.’

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Horse Clocks posted:

[Edit] Do any glasses wearers have any tips for fogging in wet and cold environments? I’ve tried Respro Foggy, worked when it was cold, not cold and wet.
So far the only thing that’s worked is a Shoei Ex Zero that gives a constant stream of fresh air right into the eyes, But it’s kinda cold and wet.
Considering getting some sports glasses that form a cup around the eye socket, but not sure how effective they’d be.

I rode year-round in Washington, haven't owned a car in years, and will not get lasik until the risk of permanent damage is more comforting. All other answers are wrong, acquire this product, ignore humidity: https://www.honeywellsafety.com/Pages/Product.aspx?id=770

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Horse Clocks posted:

Do any glasses wearers have any tips for fogging in wet and cold environments? I’ve tried Respro Foggy, worked when it was cold, not cold and wet.

I wear contacts if it's going to be a cold, wet ride. I get lots of people have good results with lasik, but I've never been comfortable with it. If I'm too lazy to wear my contacts, I just crack the visor and deal with a cold face.

Also, I was looking at the Hardanger too, but a buddy told me that Aerostitch re-introduced their Transit waterproof leathers. I wanted them when they were out some years ago, but was broke at the time. I ordered me a transit and it should come in November.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I ride year round (even winter so long as the ground is clear enough) with glasses and honestly I just end up cracking the visor. At it's worst, I'll crack the visor and look over my glasses which works for me as I'm far sighted.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
After a rather wet and cold experience last winter I wanted a proper gore-tex winter suit for my winter brappo.

I found the klim rohn bib + parka.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDuRDpgxtrU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtZU_IBOEcg

It's a high end 1200$ snowmobile set only made in 2016 as it was too insanely expensive to sell in volume and was discontinued. It's no longer listed on klim's webpage.

The local importer had them on a 50% sale.

Proper klim quality and insanely warm. The bib got kneepad pockets and I got a jacket size that has room for a Mx body armor suit underneath.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
After two missed deliveries where UPS encouraged me to leave a cheque at the door for their ridiculous $50 brokerage fee, they just left my gloves on my front porch this morning, hidden behind my crappy snow shovel. Guess I'll see if they bill me.

Anyway, new Held Steves to replace my 9 (!) year old Sprints. They still fit like someone snuck into my room at night and took my measurement. A little less armor than the Sprints, but also a touch lighter. The Steve now seems to be the heaviest glove they have without perforations, which I don't want since it rarely gets hot enough here to need them (but it sure gets cold enough to anti-need them. See the part about where I leave a snow shovel on my front porch)

The Sprints actually still fit great, it's just they're getting a touch threadbare and there's more scuffing on the ends of the fingers than I'm comfortable with.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Much as it pains me to do so, I must break with tradition and admit: I was wrong on the internet.

Turns out:
a) hipora is fine
b) none of my boots ever actually leaked (including my Formas, which are beaten up and rusty now but still good)
c) all the water I've been getting on my feet is because I was tucking my overtrousers in while my waterproofs (worn outside my boots) were riding up and exposing my knees, so water was basically getting shot directly up my leg and going in the top of my boots. I started putting both sets of trousers outside my boots and cinching the cuffs, and my feet haven't gotten wet since.

This didn't occur to me earlier because I've always tucked my trousers in and never gotten wet feet before. In hindsight this was obviously because my last bike, a ZZR, put my feet much further back and also behind a fairing. I am extremely embarrassed that this took me over a year (and an unnecessary purchase of new boots) to figure out.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

What do I need to know about dealing with a pinlock insert?

I've never dealt with this sort of thing before but my HJC RPHA 70 came with one and I'd like to get it sorted before re-taking the MSF course this weekend.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I'd just make an effort to not touch the interior surface. It's relatively easy to install. I don't think there's anything else to worry about once it's in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE_P0UjJDw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
The only thing is that they scratch a little more easily than the visor itself, so be even more careful when handling the helmet or removing dust and grime from the inside.