Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Soviet Commubot posted:

A Primaris Dark Angel pointing at the "you have to be this tall to ride" sign next to the hatch of an Impulsor as Azrael walks dejectedly back to his Rhino.

He's really not allowed because the inner circle knows he'll just blab everything to the neophytes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

xtothez posted:

Can't an Inquisitor hitch a lift on either? Maybe the Inquisition knows about Lyft but Azrael only has the Uber app.

The inquisition lifts faction restrictions but inquisitors aren't primaris so I don't think they can get in either.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kinda taken back a bit by how poorly the first psychic awakening book has been received in a bunch of places, I wonder if games workshop is regretting marketing it as it was or if they'll think about really pushing the timeline forward a bit faster than this multiyear plan.

e: not taken aback by the drukhari rules side though because thats just real sad...

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Honestly I just find it hard to keep up with what's going on, as someone who doesn't go to the store much or anything its like some teaser and then "hey look new rule books and models" and I have no idea if something lore wise is happening or not.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Right now its a new book with a teensy bit of lore and datasheets/relics/tactics for some eldar factions but thats probably where most of the real ire is, and a new boxed set with some new plastic versions of old models thats a bit too pricey for my blood. Goonhammer as previously mentioned is a great resource.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So what are the odds Sisters of Battle go up for pre-order tomorrow?

Please GW, I've been waiting all month. Just let us know they're going to be available to order soon, and that the new Exorcist will still has the pipe-organ missile launcher.

Chiwie posted:

Video Game Retrospective: Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior

JB looks at Fire Warrior. A game that missed its mark but still has a few "gems".

I legit did not know that Fire Warrior was for sale on GOG. Was it added in like the last year or something?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 20, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's probably worse from a DE perspective, but there are a lot of new rules (or at least new in a not-WD-article format) for stuff I'm interested in. The only local player complaining about it at the moment is complaining about Ynnari suffering a major setback in the fluff (full on "there goes the plot" level, it's pretty funny) and not the presentation or depth/value.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's really hard to care about this psychic awakening without knowing more about it.

Max Wilco posted:

So what are the odds Sisters of Battle go up for pre-order tomorrow?

Probably low, I think Saturday is preorder day now.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

moths posted:

It's really hard to care about this psychic awakening without knowing more about it.

What do you want to know that isn't here, besides obviously the assorted outcomes of an event in progress?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Max Wilco posted:

Please GW, I've been waiting all month. Just let us know they're going to be available to order soon, and that the new Exorcist will still has the pipe-organ missile launcher.
I can't imagine the new exorcist looking much different.
It's one of the most distinct things in the sororitas armoury, and so far everything* we've seen has been kept very true to the old metal models, just more detailed and in a better material.

*Except for repentia, but that's a change for the better.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Strobe posted:

Ynnari suffering a major setback in the fluff (full on "there goes the plot" level, it's pretty funny)

lmao

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Now that they got nerfed I don't feel too bad about painting iron hands.

First time painting black power armour I think it looks ok if a little blue

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
are finecast models ok now or should I hunt down the metal version of Pedro Kantor?

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

are finecast models ok now or should I hunt down the metal version of Pedro Kantor?

Metal if you can get it, it's still a bit rubbish based on some Lord of the rings stuff I purchased recently

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

gilljoy posted:

Metal if you can get it, it's still a bit rubbish based on some Lord of the rings stuff I purchased recently

yeah, I'm not shy about grabbing things from Ebay if necessary.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think the hard thing with moving the story forward is that 40k's fluff was always kind of at your own pace where you might want to learn about one specific time or faction and that was cool. When it moves forward I feel like I'm missing lots of info because I can't keep up with the books and poo poo. I have enough trouble trying to understand how the stupid imperium is functioning now let along everyone else.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Strobe posted:

What do you want to know that isn't here, besides obviously the assorted outcomes of an event in progress?

Pretty much everything that isn't there: What the associated releases are, if any of it will actually matter afterward, things like that.

Like, Templars are in the next book but they don't have a codex supplement yet. Same for Sisters. How's that going to work?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I agree.

I'd like a developer's post on the Community forum that's a bit of a 'birds eye view' of the releases that explains what the supplements do/interact etc.

Like, do the new Psychic Awakening books replace the codex entries? Or are they optional ways to play.

The firehose of new stuff is lovely, don't get me wrong, but it's thrown out there and then the structure around it doesn't keep up.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I don't care what happens as long a Chaos Space marines stay relevant :D.

Also really hope they bring back the Duke for Dark Eldar.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
It just struck me that with an emphasis on the warp and revamping old characters, perhaps the Tyranid entry would mark the return of the Doom of Malantai. Considering the kinds of units that are around in this edition its rules wouldnt even be all that broken.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

moths posted:

Pretty much everything that isn't there: What the associated releases are, if any of it will actually matter afterward, things like that.

Like, Templars are in the next book but they don't have a codex supplement yet. Same for Sisters. How's that going to work?

Judging by this book, they'll have a couple updated datasheets for any applicable new releases, some new rules to change some aspect of how the army currently works, and point costs for anything included in the book. That's basically what we've been expecting (plus the Aspect Warrior Exarch traits) out of this book since it was announced (and those we've known about for a couple weeks). Everything else you're asking about (associated releases, plot relevance) were nigh-exhaustively dug into by Warhammer Community articles in the time between announcement and pre-order.

Updates are on Monday, usually, we should get the first actual concrete information on the next event tomorrow. Just pay attention to articles as they come out and you'll get almost everything you wanted. :shrug:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Strobe posted:

Everything else you're asking about (associated releases, plot relevance) were nigh-exhaustively dug into by Warhammer Community articles in the time between announcement and pre-order.

Updates are on Monday, usually, we should get the first actual concrete information on the next event tomorrow. Just pay attention to articles as they come out and you'll get almost everything you wanted. :shrug:

All I've seen is information about the first book, and there's nothing to indicate we'll get information about anything beyond the next book until this is over.

I don't think I missed an overview post, but this dribble of information is more frustrating than enticing.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
so now that i've spent a year building death guard, i am realizing i have no idea what a casual list looks like. everything i see on, like, reddit calls for a winged daemon prince of nurgle, which is more converting than i feel like doing at the moment. any sources for *fun* non competitive 1000 point lists?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

so now that i've spent a year building death guard, i am realizing i have no idea what a casual list looks like. everything i see on, like, reddit calls for a winged daemon prince of nurgle, which is more converting than i feel like doing at the moment. any sources for *fun* non competitive 1000 point lists?

That’s a little subjective, but Death Guard excel with walking forward and shooting while daemons run amok. It depends pretty heavily on what you have to use, but the other HQ options are all pretty decent.

I’m a big fan of Mephitic Blighthaulers, which aren’t considered super competitive but I find them plenty useful, plus the models are cheap and look great.

What do you have to work with?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Plague marines are really fun. They have shenanigans now. Are they going to charge for a ton of melee attacks, throw a buttload of mortal wounding grenades with their blight grenade buffing elite buddy or bury themselves into an objective with t5, DR and a 2 up save in cover? Blight launches hit hard, plasma is cool. Throw them in a couple rhinos and go gently caress something up. You can also buff them with blighthaulers which are cool as hell, arch contaminator and some other stuff. They're also cheap as beans on Ebay because everyone got too many in that dark imperium set.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I've seen some pretty straightforward winged daemon prince conversions using the turbine off a drone (which are easy enough to stumble across thanks to the boxed set). Still might be too much work for you, but it's a common conversion which thankfully means you can find a how to should you decide you want one down the road. Other option if you're not playing against jerks is to just say he farts himself aloft.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
ooooooh ordered some ebay blight haulers.

i have a bunch of plague marines (20 or 25) because i love building and painting them (and use the hell out of 'em for kill team) and i have one each of the termie boxes. one plagueburst crawler, two bloat drones, a typhus, and...one each of the special units that were released at the start of 8th (i really like painting death guard). so, kind of a lot, but nothing really cohesive from what i can tell. after dropping 50 bucks on ebay i'll have full trios of blight haulers and bloat drones.

so basically, i bought for the hobby side of things and not the game side, but i have a fairly substantial collection--about 2000 points from what i can tell? just, no idea how to move from hobby to play.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

ooooooh ordered some ebay blight haulers.

i have a bunch of plague marines (20 or 25) because i love building and painting them (and use the hell out of 'em for kill team) and i have one each of the termie boxes. one plagueburst crawler, two bloat drones, a typhus, and...one each of the special units that were released at the start of 8th (i really like painting death guard). so, kind of a lot, but nothing really cohesive from what i can tell. after dropping 50 bucks on ebay i'll have full trios of blight haulers and bloat drones.

so basically, i bought for the hobby side of things and not the game side, but i have a fairly substantial collection--about 2000 points from what i can tell? just, no idea how to move from hobby to play.

At 1000pts you’ll want a Battalion to have some command points to play around with.

There’s some points remaining you can move around a bit but the following would be a fine option for a list:

HQ
Typhus
Chaos Lord in Terminator Armor (you could use a Blightlord for this)
++Power Axe, Combi-bolter

Troops
7x Plague Marines
++Plasmagun, 2x Blight Launcher

7x Plague Marines
++Plasmagun, 2x Blight Launcher

7x Plague Marines (use this unit to hang back and hold an objective)

Elite
Tallyman
Foul Blightspawn

Fast Attack
Foetid Bloat-Drone
Mephitic Blighthauler

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 21, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Units of 7 plague marines is a good choice and I honestly hate that you can take them in either 5s or 10s.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

What are the odds that World Eaters will get their own codex like Death Guard anytime soon?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I had the best/worst idea for a Salamanders bike captain that I really want to do now. Take a Scimitar Pattern Jetbike replace the multi melta with something that counts as a combi melta, stick a iron halo on the guy and give him a thunder hammer. Probably worse then just a standard jump pack captain, but I still like the idea.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Filthy Hans posted:

What are the odds that World Eaters will get their own codex like Death Guard anytime soon?

They got cool models ages and ages ago as a one off for some reason. I imagine they would want to do a release if it included Angron. I really want to make a world eaters army, but I don't fancy converting absolutely everything using multiple expensive boxed sets and the current berserker models are bad.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

JBP posted:

They got cool models ages and ages ago as a one off for some reason. I imagine they would want to do a release if it included Angron. I really want to make a world eaters army, but I don't fancy converting absolutely everything using multiple expensive boxed sets and the current berserker models are bad.

I expect they will turn up at some point and the same with EC, the question is just when, it might be next year or it might be 5 and we have no way of knowing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Also based on how DG and TSons (and the "spinoff" loyalist cousins like dark angels, blood angels, space wolves and deathwatch) get treated post-release support they're probably safer in the core book.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought DG had returned to the quite good level. Space Wolves still perform quite well with cost effective hammers and shields, I just hope the psychic awakening bullshit give Templars some good rules and maybe a crusader primaris unit and they do similar things for the non-codex marines. Bigly grey slayers would be awesome and fit the whole legion type structure of the primaris battle line.

E: I think it's much more important for Necrons and Tyranids to get some updates rn though.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Basic greenstuff work done on Uzgrak's base. Tomorrow, I shall obtain a cardboard box in which to prime it and then I can start painting and applying mud effects.

Still need to decide exactly how I want to paint the spirit ork (or spork for short).

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

JBP posted:

It would seem that I missed these one off Khorne berserker models. What set did they come in?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
So I played a practice kill team game on a friends kitchen table.

It was a three way match and the sides were:

Me: Lord Commissar, Sergeant, Veteran Scion Meltagun, Comms with a vox, Demolitions with a flamer, grenade launcher, and 7 guardsmen. All valhallan.

Friend 1: Grey Knight Justicar, Combat grey Knight with hakbard, incinerator with Demolitions, incinerator with zealot, normal grey Knight

Friend 2: Stealth suit leader, sniper pathfinder with rail rifle, Demolitions pathfinder with rail rifle, Comms pathfinder with rail rifle, Recon drone, five gun drones.

Basically this is how we ended up deployed:

Instantly you guys are probably thinking "why the gently caress did he split his guardsmen up" and that was the big mistake I made.

The tau player is sat in that building at the back, and he stayed there all game and as a result did very little.

The grey Knight player rushed the centre and she slaughtered basically everyone in the middle, losing an incinerator and her combat guy in the process.

We were playing Sweep and clear so she got like 7 points from killing people, plus 3 points as there were two grey Knights next to an objective and they were beating on a guardsman. I only killed the grey Knights thanks to the Lord Commissar being lucky as poo poo.

Mistakes were made, but I can see why a "proper" guard list is basically max out special weapons. With all the minuses to hit, the lack of numbers, and the weakness of lasguns they aren't very useful.

Edit: bonus photo I thought looked cool (no pun intended)

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 21, 2019

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

10 plague marines (with as many flails as you can afford) and the +1S+1D grenade character in a rhino.

Pile the marines out, blight bombardment stratagem for 11d6 supergrenades is not very competitive but very, very funny.

You can also then force your rhino to explode via stratagem for one final "gently caress you"

Melee or Flamer Blight Drones are both also good and fun models that get overshadowed in the competitive scene.

I've also been really, really trying to force deathshroud to work for the last 2 years, but 9/10 times they drop in, fail their 9" charge and then just fail to do anything because their gun is a 6" range and they only have a 4" move with a 3" max advance, but maybe you could do something involving throwing them in a land raider, another "bad" DG model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
i have no illusions about the deathshroud actually being *good*, but i might gently caress around with em in higher-point games.

rhinos/raiders sounds fun, and to save them from looking like greenstuff blobs like a lot of conversions do, i could just paint them in heresy-era colors and weather the gently caress out of them. plus old 2e rhino models are pretty cheap on ebay!