Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

That intro video is so 90s. I love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fabulousity posted:

I figured someone somewhere had to have sat in a basement and figured this stuff out and behold the Descent FAQ from May 1995 did not disappoint:

pre:
   Espen Monnich wrote the following table:

"----------------------------------------------------
  |Weapon     | Number | Damage  |  Total  | Energy  |
  |           |of shots| pr.shot |  damage | pr.shot |
  |-----------|--------|---------|---------|---------|
  |Laser lv1  | 2 (4)* |  10     |  20 (30)| 0.25    |
  |  "   lv2  | 2 (4)  |  11     |  22 (33)| 0.25    |
  |  "   lv3  | 2 (4)  |  12     |  24 (36)| 0.25    |
  |  "   lv4  | 2 (4)  |  13     |  26 (39)| 0.25    |
  |Vulcan     | ca. 25 |  --     |  4      | 0       |
  |Spreadfire | 3      |  6      |  18     | 0.25    |
  |C. Missile | 1      |  25     |  25     | 0       |
  |H. Missile | 1      |  27     |  27     | 0       |
  |Bomb       | 1      |         |  24     | 0       |
  ----------------------------------------------------

* () specifies the Quad laser. It shoots 4 shots, but does only 50% more 
    total damage. 
A single trigger tap burns 25 rounds for a return of 4 damage! So like the thief bot the vulcan cannon is very not good and probably leaves QR codes for Bit Coin propaganda instead of tips at restaurants.
See what I'm reading there is that the quads, while still being the best weapon, are a goddamn ripoff too.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

anilEhilated posted:

See what I'm reading there is that the quads, while still being the best weapon, are a goddamn ripoff too.

This will be obvious in a few levels when we get some things that aren't toys :unsmigghh:

But Descent 2 DOES give reasons for you to use non-energy weapons other than energy conservation, so the Vulcan will still get limited use as there's something better to use that ammo on THUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP :swoon:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, yeah. I am very much interested in actually comparing the new weapons with the old ones efficiency-wise as opposed to just going with whatever felt cool at the time.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Bellmaker posted:

But Descent 2 DOES give reasons for you to use non-energy weapons other than energy conservation, so the Vulcan will still get limited use as there's something better to use that ammo on THUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMPTHUMP :swoon:
There are so many reasons to use that gun, the god-king of Descent 2, it's not funny any more. It's almost like an apology is being handed out.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

This thread lists weapon damage values as seen in the game configuration files versus one guy sitting in the game, shooting stuff, and recording the results. There are some notable discrepancies so I guess the question of how Descent/Descent 2 handle applying damage isn't a completely settled question. Some of the more interesting points:

- Lasers got a damage nerf across the board in Descent 2 with level 5 being roughly equal to level 4 in the first game
- In game gauss cannon damage is about 12 per shot which isn't even in the same ballpark as the configuration file damage value which is 25
- The spreadfire cannon's individual shots got a velocity nerf in Descent 2 but damage remains the same
- In-game testing suggests the phoenix cannon's shots sometimes only do 50% damage for unknown reasons
- If accuracy is 100% apparently in-game testing shows the vulcan can kill a player faster than the gauss cannon :psyboom:

The only info I found on energy consumption is here. The listed damage values seem to match up with the observed testing so they're probably accurate. However the Descent 1 weapons aren't covered specifically within the scope of the second game so any balance changes probably aren't reflected.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

- If accuracy is 100% apparently in-game testing shows the vulcan can kill a player faster than the gauss cannon :psyboom:
That's because the Vulcan is a stream weapon, whereas the Gauss is a burst weapon. Tapping the attack button means that the Gauss does more damage, but holding it down, and hitting the target constantly means that the Vulcan pulls ahead on DPS. Assuming you can keep the enemy on-target the whole time. The Vulcan still has the shot drift from D1, so this isn't a given.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So, now that the weapon list is out of the bag, I'd just like to state that Descent II's approach to expanding your arsenal is utterly fantastic. Today in a sequel you'd get to keep some of the old favorites, replaced the rest; Decent says gently caress it, let's just double your arsenal.
Sure, it could have been done better - most new weapons are just twists on the old ones - but doubling your missile battery alone makes this game so much more fun to play.
And it's such a massive shame we see the Guided Missile mechanics in so few shooters. Come on, devs, it's the perfect treatment of a sniper weapon.

e: HOLY poo poo THERE IS A HELIX IN LEVEL GODDAMN TWO

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 6, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

It's also impressive that the developers came up with a completely new beastiary for the sequel. From a game world perspective I'm not sure why PTMC wouldn't use some of the same bot designs everywhere, and from a game development perspective it's a hell of a lot of extra work. The Descent 1 bots are included in all the Descent 2 data files for use in custom level making but outside of a class 1 drone or gopher retexture showing up in a secret level or two they don't appear in the retail campaign.

Dynamic lighting also got a big upgrade in this game and is showcased by headlights and the much larger variety of destructible lights. You are correct in that the engine allows all destructible lights to be tagged as switches. The Descent 1 source code had some mentions of headlights, apparently they tried to implement them but things didn't work out very well and it got scrapped. Still, even the occasional destructible monitor was, "omigosh soooo coool" at the time of the first game.
VVVV

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 7, 2019

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I remember there was a level or few where you had to destroy the weird "Z" or "J" signs on the walls to activate some switches. I'm pretty sure the engine allows you to hide switches in lights as well.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

e: HOLY poo poo THERE IS A HELIX IN LEVEL GODDAMN TWO

It's reactions like this that make the effort I go through to get things just right well worth it.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The 3D acceleration makes D2 look so much prettier as well. We had a shareware version of it that came with an accelerator card, it looked amazing. I remember being bamboozled by most of the secrets, though, they really did step it up. Also things are still in a really good place with regards to spaces and corridors being a bit roomier than before!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The reason D2 doesn't recycle D1's bots is that the decision to make the mines be PTMC's outer-system sites was only made quite late in development. The original concept was that these would be alien facilities of some kind. Hence the secret doors dissolving away rather than sliding open, the alien writing on the monitors, the different bot and reactor designs (the reactors in particular look strange already and get downright weird later), and so on.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Due to technical issues, one of the commentary recordings for Level 3 is unusable. Which I only found out when I went to do all my post-processing last night. I don't know if I will be able to get it redone today and crush that out or not. If I can't, I'll try to get is all re-done and give you guys two next sunday, but no promises at this point.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Hey, no rush at all, you are doing a great job and nobody minds having to wait longer if poo poo happens.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I actually remember being so attached to the Guidebot (even though I usually ordered it to stay away from me since him floating around in front of me was distracting) that I'd free him and after blowing the reactor I ordered him to find the exit just so we could fly through the exit hatch together.

Of course he wouldn't show up in the escape FMV, but eh... headcannon.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I wonder how the guidebot fit into the earlier "these are ALIEN mines with ALIEN reactors and ALIEN robots" version of the story

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Erpy posted:

I actually remember being so attached to the Guidebot (even though I usually ordered it to stay away from me since him floating around in front of me was distracting) that I'd free him and after blowing the reactor I ordered him to find the exit just so we could fly through the exit hatch together.

Of course he wouldn't show up in the escape FMV, but eh... headcannon.
Same here, I found the Guidebot really adorable as a kid, especially the beeping noises it made.
Probably would get way too annoyed with it nowadays; in Overload I tried the (much less intrusive) hologuide once and never called upon it again.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Despite the guide bot always setting off my smart mine traps for the thief bot I still felt bad when it got killed in the crossfire.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

You know what this game needs? More Boss Fights!

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Audio is desynced.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I was made aware of that in the Discord. I'll fix it after the recording session today.

edit: Weird. The Desynch doesn't show up in the game audio file, but only after I merge it with the commentary file. And when I went to redo the whole thing, it's still there after the redo.

I'm going to poke at this for a bit, but thankfully, it's mostly not noticeable due to the commentary.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 27, 2019

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Ahh, the D2 bosses. One area where doing a D1 mechanic "more" wasn't overkill. The difficulty is more of a curve, and you don't spend your entire time hiding in a corner popping out to volley shots before the boss one-shots you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, not in the case of this one at least.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I suppose that reactor and the platform below it were actually both hanging from the ceiling.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

berryjon fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 10, 2019

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

YouTube is saying the video with commentary is unavailable. The thief bot must've gotten it :ohdear:

The other video is fine.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

YouTube is saying the video with commentary is unavailable. The thief bot must've gotten it :ohdear:

The other video is fine.

Fix'd.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Still showing as unavailable, unfortunately.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Isn't it called a "mercury" missile?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

Still showing as unavailable, unfortunately.

The link is correct, I just checked it myself, and the video is public/available. 20 views even!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
They might have accidentally checked the quoted link in the reply rather than the fixed link in the post.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

mastersord posted:

Isn't it called a "mercury" missile?

Heh, I noticed the pronounciation snafu too. Yes, it's a Mercury missile, named after the Roman messenger god Mercury (the Greek Hermes) most famous for his winged shoes that enabled him to get around really quickly.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The Mercury is the only missile fast enough to hit the Thiefbot (aside from the Smart missile's secondary bomblets). This leads to many chases after that bot in dark halls, screaming in rage and volley-firing them after the little git.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Still loving the level design here, they're really doing some interesting stuff with the shapes of the rooms and obstacles within. The fights seem challenging but fair, if a tad easy (or at least you make them look that way).

I can't remember but do mercury missiles home in on their targets at all? I have vague memories of them having a bit of tracking ability, but not very much.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Crazy Achmed posted:

Still loving the level design here, they're really doing some interesting stuff with the shapes of the rooms and obstacles within. The fights seem challenging but fair, if a tad easy (or at least you make them look that way).

I can't remember but do mercury missiles home in on their targets at all? I have vague memories of them having a bit of tracking ability, but not very much.

No, they're dumb-fire missiles. It's just that they're so insanely quick they're very likely to hit the target as long as your crosshair was on the enemy when you pressed the fire button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Mercury Missiles :allears:

Man do I loooooove these suckers! It's not exactly a hitscan missile, but it's so close it pretty much doesn't matter. Perfect for enemies that need to DIE RIGHT NOW *laughs in Thief-Bot*

Descent 2 adds a bunch of weapons, but how unique they are really expands your toolbox for dealing with hairy situations. Especially the next cannon!