Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
BTW, you can still play those challenges for hats and beards with mods. Just make sure those mods don't change checksum (so Iron Man-friendly) and don't change UI (specifically Bigger UI mod).

Grouchio posted:

So I just heard that CK3 is now a thing.

I feel like I just heard my parents announce their divorce. Again.

But this time it's not your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

looking forward to a map ranging from portugal to china with content spread even more thinly than Imperator

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

a fatguy baldspot posted:

ugh i definitely only like doing what i like doing in this game BUT the promise of rewards in ck3 is incredibly tempting...what to do what to do...does anyone know what the rewards are? they said just cosmetic right?
I think Stellaris sign-up or pre-order cosmetic DLCs were eventually made available to everyone for free anyway.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I don't think I've ever expanded further East than the Levant.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

played a few viking crimea games, which are pretty fun and ecclectic... but expanding east or north just looks absolutely tedious.

I guess I'm supposed to be glad x can play a game of y, but everything east of iran is just a useless wasteland that sometimes changes colour

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I saw someone mention a sign-up for an open beta. Is there anywhere I can find more information?

(at the very least, I got to thank the announcement for stopping me from trying to do an LP that most likely will go nowhere).

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Randaconda posted:

- Courtiers will no longer leave their children behind when asked to leave court.

Patch of the century.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The Monarch posted:

Patch of the century.

Inevitable catch: when dumping your concubines and making them go away, they’ll take your heir with them.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The map will expand east for CK3 but only to add Burma.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

CK3 should get a Rome DLC, where every standing army general is an usurper in the making.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

No Pants posted:

Inevitable catch: when dumping your concubines and making them go away, they’ll take your heir with them.

Well, time to get some tyranny traits going to permanently solve that problem.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whoo boy I forgot how slow city levies replenish as a merchant republic. Rushed to get a Muslim MR in the Marrakesh duchy and was able to form the Kingdom there in 20 years, just as I was able to get the last tribal organization change to enable the MR. Now I have about 250 levies and I gain about 10 a month. Since it's 789 I don't even have the military organization levels to get a retinue yet. Should be entertaining.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

SelenicMartian posted:

CK3 should get a Rome DLC, where every standing army general is an usurper in the making.

that would actually own and be historically acc ur ate for the byzantines

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

that would actually own and be historically acc ur ate for the byzantines

That's what the whole new system is meant to simulate, though the player can still navigate it. But every commander will get a claim on succession.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Yadoppsi posted:

Are people playing the Monarch's Journey challenges yet? As long as King Konan's dynasty is around its easy to blob for the territory but I'm finding it hard to sire enough sons and kill William of Normandy's kids before Konan dies.

How are y'all doing at it?

I am currently trying to do it all just with Konan.

My tactic so far has been to start antagonising William right off. Swear fealty as soon as he takes England, then Duel him via War focus. You also start with a strong claim on Normandy which is easier to take if you're internal. I played last night and have managed to Duel and kill three including William so far, and have lined up the next ones, with murder plots ticking over. Annoyingly my wife has only made daughters so far so I will need to switch to seduction once I am done baiting and slaying.

I am not sure yet how to take Anjou, since it is in the France blob.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
How often are the Monarchs Journey refreshing? Are they timed or permanent?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

lurksion posted:

How often are the Monarchs Journey refreshing? Are they timed or permanent?

Bi-Weekly

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My biggest hope for CK3 is that there are opportunities to alter established religions or create a new branch in the right circumstances. Something like a massive RA uptick in a short period of time that your character is wholly responsible for (to use mechanics that may not exist in the new game).

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I just hope the character-creation tools are user-friendly, for when modders inevitably try to make models that don't look like something out of Fable 1.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm waiting for the patch notes where they fix characters sometimes being rendered as weird squiggly monsters and realize it's because they forgot to take historical ancestors out of their genetics, and one of their ancestors is a big floating glyph.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

For the Monarch’s challenge, here’s the tactic I used:

You can marry the HRE’s celibate sisters to your half brother to get an alliance. Do that, wait for William’s war with England to finish, then press your claim on Normandy or whatever it is and call in the HRE as your muscle. Make sure the HRE isn’t off fighting its own war or they’ll ignore yours. If you press the claim before his England war ends (I.e when he’s still France), the war will end. Amusingly, in my playthrough he actually lost the race to the Viking invasion and then failed to beat them so he never got out of France.

At the same time, take seduction and begin to gently caress any woman you can. Additionally, use the character finder to invite as many de Normandie dynasty characters to your court and murder them all. If you invite your seduced women to your court, you get a handy army of assassins to support your murder spree. You can keep seducing the de Normandie women as they come of age to then invite them to court as assassins until you murder them too. If you get lucky, the male dynasty members will even have some kids whilst in your court that you can easily murder. You’ll hit the murder limit in no time.

Once your harem starts spitting out children, legitimise the boys to get the heirs. At the start, make sure to choose a content/non-ambitious wife with high intrigue to avoid having her shank you when you end up legitimising all your bastard children and drive her opinion of you into the centre of the earth. You can eventually make her vanish if need be when she has a -280 legitimised bastards opinion penalty.

At this point, I then switched to the religious focus and used that to pump up my piety to then create the kingdom title so my dynasty didn’t fracture. You can also convert to tanistry right at the start before your vassal opinion starts to slide, but I found they rebelled and forced it back to gavelkind because vassal management on top of all the above was too many fires to manage for me.

The above will get you the children, the murders, and most of the land. The land achievement doesn’t need doing with the original dude, so you can then play more traditionally to get the last titles with your dynasty.

Edit: There’s a few ways this can all fall apart. I had to try 4 or 5 times until it all went well.
1: If the HRE gets distracted by another war, uprising, etc. you can be curb stomped whilst holding your dick waiting for them to come join.
2: The HRE picks a fight with France for Zeeland before William does his England thing. One time, he got imprisoned by France during a battle in that and wouldn’t then join my war when I launched it.
3: If you declare before the Viking/William thunderdome shakes out, the war CB can error out when that finishes up due to becoming invalid from title changes.
4: If you wait too long to press the Normandy claim, William will come in to vassalise you and that makes everything harder (see above HRE being distracted).

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 22, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

i just want cadet branch’s

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The temporary fix is to console in bastard traits to your other relatives or sons, give them wives and watch them form cadet lines.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Eimi posted:

That's what the whole new system is meant to simulate, though the player can still navigate it. But every commander will get a claim on succession.

Yea I struggled with the new system until I realized this and how powerful favors are in that system. Basically you never want to check the "auto appoint commanders box" as a Byzantine emperor.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I sincerely hope they add playable theocracys in CK3, I just wanna be a Satan worshiping bad Pope.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

What do Cadet lines get you, if they were implemented? I dont understand how they would help. Aren't they just "My brother is married as well, this is his bloodline?"

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Do I aim to form Scandinavia before I go feudal as a Reformed Germanic Pagan Kingdom Norway? I need to save a little more gold but otherwise all my major dukes have IV hill forts and my retinues are almost maxed.

I've currently got the kingdom of Norway and Lapland and could do Sweden but haven't yet. I heard it is better to not form kingdoms as dukes are easier to manage, is that correct?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Your vassals dont give a gently caress about King titles you own. You can have 100 kingdom titles, and your vassals will only care if you have 3 or more duchy titles. The only hate you will get is Dukes and others in that kingdom feeling they should be king. King vassals are for when you find your vassal limit even with only dukes is too great for your vassal limit. At that point you should be an Empire, and hand out kingdoms but rarely.

For an example, you could be Emperor of Scandinavia, King of Lappland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Saxony, Estonia, Duke of Sweden, Duke of Gotland, Duke of Austergotland. Count/baron of who gives a gently caress x10. If you had enough Dukes to keep your counts in line, where your persona dukes nad count vassals are under your limit, there is no reason to hand away any of those kingdoms. You might end up with Dukes who are as strong as kings just from how much they personally rule, like i have seen with the duke of Sealand having 10 vassals and 5-6 counties themself, but you dont have to hand away crowns. Its the third duchy that gets global vassal resentment.

Reform to Feudal when you feel safe to do so. Most of the time, doing so early is a good idea. It lets you upgrade sooner to get your castles back in order. As long as its safe. You take a huge hit to Retinues and Levies when you make the swap.

Long, ramble. I hope I got what i was trying to say out right.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
So as Ireland, of course, I tend to just pay off the crusades, but this time I decided to join, honestly in the hopes of sending an annoying vassal on a suicide mission (and because I couldn't afford the payoff of 100ish gold). I had barely even touched the outside of Ireland (a few of the islands around scotland I had) so sent a crappy 1,000 men. They piggy backed with larger armies until the holy lands were almost won and then for some reason they started following my commands. I detached while there was still some fighting going on, but Jerusalem itself wasn't seized so sent my mini army over, others joined, the crusade was won and I got all the crazy benefits (holy order vassals, the holy lands themselves, prestige, piety, gold, artifacts, cool title). I told the pope I'd be keeping titles for myself, but is it supposed to work like that? Was it just because I was first to take Jeruselem itself and greedy enough to keep titles? I mean, I couldn't even take the isle of mann earlier that year.

E: VVVVV

Holy loving god, that is exactly what happened. That is such a bullshit mechanic, I'm disappointed that the middle east can be solved by the ancient law of first dibs. Does the AI factor this in too?

wit fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 22, 2019

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

https://www.chapelcomic.com/17/

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Red_Fred posted:

I heard it is better to not form kingdoms as dukes are easier to manage, is that correct?

you want to create as many top level titles as you have sons, preferably in far away places through prepared invasions. crete, north africa, sardinia, crimea, etc.

when you grant a top level title to one of your sons, not only do they form their own petty kingdom but they're removed from gavelkind succession. makes it fairly easy to tailor what you'd like your designated heir to receive and should put you back under the holding limit for another prepared invasion with the next generation. within fifty years or so, you should have a dynasty that's pretty much deathproof and if you're willing to console over, there'll be branches of pagan berbers and norse muslims to try out. it's not the standard version of map-painting, but you can get up to all sorts of weird poo poo that won't require a restart.

also, thunderdome.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006
The HIP mod has added a cadet branches system recently although I've not tried it enough to see if it works well. (You can only get the mod through the Paradox forums, it's not on Steam)

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Something that just occurred to me: maybe CK3 will make Culture shifts more sensible, which I would appreciate a lot

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

wit posted:

So as Ireland, of course, I tend to just pay off the crusades, but this time I decided to join, honestly in the hopes of sending an annoying vassal on a suicide mission (and because I couldn't afford the payoff of 100ish gold). I had barely even touched the outside of Ireland (a few of the islands around scotland I had) so sent a crappy 1,000 men. They piggy backed with larger armies until the holy lands were almost won and then for some reason they started following my commands. I detached while there was still some fighting going on, but Jerusalem itself wasn't seized so sent my mini army over, others joined, the crusade was won and I got all the crazy benefits (holy order vassals, the holy lands themselves, prestige, piety, gold, artifacts, cool title). I told the pope I'd be keeping titles for myself, but is it supposed to work like that? Was it just because I was first to take Jeruselem itself and greedy enough to keep titles? I mean, I couldn't even take the isle of mann earlier that year.

E: VVVVV

Holy loving god, that is exactly what happened. That is such a bullshit mechanic, I'm disappointed that the middle east can be solved by the ancient law of first dibs. Does the AI factor this in too?

In the first game I managed to be the primary contributor without ever reaching the Holy Land because I spotted a Fatimid force counter-attacking Rome. I pushed the army off just after they occupied the top holding, so I got credit for liberating Rome.

In my experience, the most consistent way to make sure you get named the primary contributor is to engage the enemy forces as often as possible. Pick your battles, use councilors and boats to scout ahead, and split your army into two adjacent armies. The AI will attack you - and give you the terrain advantage - and once they lock their movement order your other half to rejoin.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Red_Fred posted:

Do I aim to form Scandinavia before I go feudal as a Reformed Germanic Pagan Kingdom Norway? I need to save a little more gold but otherwise all my major dukes have IV hill forts and my retinues are almost maxed.

I've currently got the kingdom of Norway and Lapland and could do Sweden but haven't yet. I heard it is better to not form kingdoms as dukes are easier to manage, is that correct?

I'd recommend making sure your tribal retinues are in order and maxed out before you go feudal. They stick around when you switch and they'll be your only manpower for a long time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i just want cadet branch’s

Good news.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/crusader-kings-3-annnounced-release-window-first-details

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

I don't really understand the fuss about cadet branches but the ability to pick and choose what you want from your heresy is really cool.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
More interesting tidbits around retinue replacements as well there, as well as some info on province development

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

UrbicaMortis posted:

I don't really understand the fuss about cadet branches but the ability to pick and choose what you want from your heresy is really cool.

Yeah. is one of the features I always dreamed about for CK2

Did they said anything about espionage, factions, plots, scheming? I feel is one of the areas that most needs improvement. CK2 system works, but it could be so much more interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
They should really focus heavily on flavor this time around, instead of stretching the map so the content is spread even more thinly.