Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've been to many CFMEU events and they always book very questionable acts except for like the 2014 grand final breakfast where they had George Kapaniaris do standup and he nailed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Australian Media: yes, Daddy Dutton needs all the power to crush those pinkos and reffos

Also Australian Media: wait, don't use your powers against us :qq:

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
Frydenberg wants to use IR reform, deregulation to fuel the economy, while also saying it's not time to panic and start using fiscal stimulus. I'm sure this will end well for the workers.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
He also says Brexit is to blame for Australia's economy.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
well it's CLEARLY not a problem with the government, they're good with the economy remember??

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Watching ABC News this morning and quote of the day has to be "Australia's diverse media landscape has come together..."

Wow! Right and Centre-Right media outlets coming together at last!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So some here may be aware of Stan Grant, the ABC journalist. What you may not be as aware of is that he was he was offered a professor position at Griffith University this year, although I am unaware of the exact circumstances of this job offer, what I can say is that this was highly publicised.

I've see in a very recent report that Stan Grant resigned from his professorship about a month ago to effectively no fanfare. I'm only starting to make inquiries now, but can anyone provide any insight/heard anything about this?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Watching ABC News this morning and quote of the day has to be "Australia's diverse media landscape has come together..."

Wow! Right and Centre-Right media outlets coming together at last!

*builds up Peter Dutton into a strongman uberman leader*
*worship him endlessly for stopping the boat people*
*Supreme Leader Dutton raids journalists*
*surprised pikachu*

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Australian Media: yes, Daddy Dutton needs all the power to crush those pinkos and reffos

Also Australian Media: wait, don't use your powers against us :qq:

"i never thought leopards would eat MY" etc. etc.

gotta poo
Mar 14, 2019

by VideoGames
The only thing worse than the boot-throating antics of the Australian media is the endless parade of lovely family drama shows and reality tv garbage it produces.

God drat we live in a stinky garbage nation.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Recoome posted:

So some here may be aware of Stan Grant, the ABC journalist. What you may not be as aware of is that he was he was offered a professor position at Griffith University this year, although I am unaware of the exact circumstances of this job offer, what I can say is that this was highly publicised.

I've see in a very recent report that Stan Grant resigned from his professorship about a month ago to effectively no fanfare. I'm only starting to make inquiries now, but can anyone provide any insight/heard anything about this?

IMO start with the Griffith NTEU branch president. If it's anything like my uni, they know far more than you would expect about what goes on there.

Also in other news, Banks are feeling threatened by afterpay, and considering such measurers as denying users a mortgage because 'clearly you can't afford things!'

https://www.theage.com.au/business/...018-p53234.html

:capitalism:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
What the gently caress has a “free press” gotten us so far. The entire spectrum is already fully captive to the Liberal party. Throw the whole loving lot in the sea and we wouldn’t lose a thing of value.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Afterpay is actually financially very prudent if you're using it correctly. Essentially 60 day settlement on a purchase meaning you keep your money for longer which is always the preference. I'm sure it isn't used like this by and large but it's dumb to penalise people for using it when really they should be accumulating positive credit reports for making the payments (like paying your credit card).

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

JBP posted:

Afterpay is actually financially very prudent if you're using it correctly. Essentially 60 day settlement on a purchase meaning you keep your money for longer which is always the preference. I'm sure it isn't used like this by and large but it's dumb to penalise people for using it when really they should be accumulating positive credit reports for making the payments (like paying your credit card).

Most people don't seem to understand that Afterpay is just like Lay-by except you get your stuff first. The reason the media loving hates it is because the banks hate it and don't know how to adjust to another market taking people away from credit cards ( because they're too dumb to advertise that credit cards are a great way to pay for your Afterpay.. . )

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

nsw worst state

https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/police-grilled-over-strip-search-of-16-year-old-girl-at-splendo/11622590

quote:

Police are being investigated over breaking the law when they asked a 16-year-old girl to strip naked and squat at last year's Splendour in the Grass, an independent inquiry has heard.

The teenager's strip search is being investigated by the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission (LECC) which independently investigates the police. It's assessing whether the police "engaged in serious misconduct" when strip searching the teenager.

The teenager said she was told by police to put her hands up and was led to another tent away from the entry gate.

"I felt completely humiliated, people were yelling out that police had someone... I was really scared as I didn't have drugs on me and I was alone," she said in her statement.

She says she told police that she was not in possession of any drugs before having her phone confiscated.

I became really frightened at this stage because I lost all contact with anyone I knew and I started to cry.
She said she was then asked to remove all her clothes, one by one, by a female police officer in the corner of the tent.

"I couldn't believe this was happening to me.... I couldn't stop crying. I was completely humiliated," her statement said.

"I was wearing a panty liner...she asked me to remove it to look at it.

"She asked me to squat on the ground...I squatted down in front of her and she squatted down and looked underneath me."

The inquiry heard the search did not uncover any drugs on the 16-year-old.

The commission heard the strip search happened illegally because no one was contacted to be with the teenager while it happened.

"The strip search of a child between the ages of ten and eighteen must be conducted in the presence of a parent or guardian... or if that's not acceptable to the person being strip searched, another person whose presence is acceptable to that person," Counsel Assisting Peggy Dwyer said.

"The child cannot waive their right to a parent, guardian or independent person."

Immediately after the strip search, the teenager went to a free legal tent in the festival. A criminal lawyer in that tent said the 16-year-old was sobbing uncontrollably.

"I was extremely upset, I was sobbing... I did not stop crying for approximately twenty minutes," the teenager said in her statement.

"I feel I can no longer trust the police... I would have difficulty reporting something to police because I'd be worried I'd be falsely accused again."

The Chief Inspector of the Byron Bay area where Splendour is held - who can't be named for legal reasons - has told the inquiry many young women hide drugs in their internal "cavities".

"[A local service station] ran out of condoms...the general consensus is because people use them to secrete drugs...Young men get their girlfriends to do it," he said.

Police are only meant to carry out strip searches on people under 18 in urgent and serious situations. When asked if this search was justified by that law, the officer told the inquiry he "didn't know".

He said the main objective of drug operations was to find people supplying drugs at the festival.

Research has found police in NSW are using strip searches more than ever before, and many of them could be unlawful.

Draft recommendations from a coronial inquest into the deaths of six young people who took drugs at festivals have called for drug dogs to be scrapped from the events and pill testing to be implemented.

The inquiry is hearing from officers who coordinated the police operation and conducted the strip search at Splendour in the Grass.
yes nsw police are allowed to demand to strip search children as young as 10 years old. ten. also the local sevros condom machine is empty ergo we must strip search teenage girls.

this is from 2011
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-12/accuracy-of-police-sniffer-dogs-called-into-question/3726228

quote:

So far this year New South Wales police officers have carried out 14,102 searches on people as a result of a sniffer dog indicating the presence of an illegal drug.

Of those searches, illicit substances were not found on 11,248 occasions - that means four out of five times the dogs are getting it wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/aug/22/extraordinary-rise-in-strip-searches-by-nsw-police-fuelled-by-use-of-sniffer-dogs

quote:

The use of drug dogs is helping to fuel a massive increase in strip-searches by New South Wales police, often without legal grounds.

A report released on Thursday reveals that in the past 12 years the number of strip-searches conducted in NSW increased almost 20-fold, from 277 times in the 12 months to 30 November 2006 to 5,483 in 2018.

The report, published by the University of NSW and commissioned by the Redfern Legal Centre, warns imprecise legal thresholds defining when an officer is able to conduct a strip-search means unlawful use of the practice is “potentially widespread”.

It cites evidence that in some cases officers use invasive searches to “punish and humiliate” people, and is littered with case studies of people subject to them on suspect grounds.

Those case studies include Zac, a 12-year-old in a regional town who told his school principal he had been stopped by police outside a supermarket and made to pull down his pants and stand in his underwear in front of his friends. Nothing was found.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

if you are outside of your home in nsw the police have the right to strip search you and if you refuse they will forcibly strip search you and you will be charged

quote:

“On its own, the indication by a sniffer dog is not enough to establish reasonable grounds to conduct a strip search”, she told Sydney Criminal Lawyers, “and a person would be within their rights to refuse a strip search on this basis.”

However, Ms Lee warns that if a person refuses a strip search, officers “may use force against them”. And this “could result in the situation escalating and the person resisting being charged with hindering police”.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=06cc6c24-58b3-407e-8eae-8b1d83a91951

places children have been strip searched by nsw police include; getting off a train in sydney. inside a private vehicle travelling on a highway breaking no laws

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I mean yes dogs falsely accuse 4 out of every 5 people they point to but to be fair that’s much less than pigs

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

QLDPOL still haven't fired the guy who gave a woman's address to her abusive partner and joked about him sending her threatening messages.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

ACAB

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I used to have all the rules regarding strip searches memorised. Then they introduced the concept of "designated areas" and all that went out the window.

Now cops can just search whoever the gently caress they want, whenever the gently caress they want.

Of course they're using that power to abuse women, children, LGBT+ people and anyone who isn't lilly white.

cohsae posted:

QLDPOL still haven't fired the guy who gave a woman's address to her abusive partner and joked about him sending her threatening messages.

Cops love it when "weaker" people are abused.

It's a psychological condition with authoritarians that they'll kowtow to authority while simultaneously making GBS threads on anyone "lower" than they are. Wife beaters, child molesters, cops, conservatives. They all share a similar way of looking at the world - obey or hurt.

And it shouldn't be any surprise they're protecting the piece of poo poo who did it given their own love of abusing their partners.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 21, 2019

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Weird that a group all about exerting power to get your dick hard would attract a bunch of pedos itching for a way to get children out of their clothes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

A friend of mine who grew up in Qld got in a bit of trouble in her late teens due to several youthful misadventures, but when she eventually needed police she was too scared to contact them because a detective was trying to force her into a sexual relationship with the promise of not getting her in trouble for a house mate's drug dealing. Cool public service branch.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Remember how the entire qld police force was corrupt from top to bottom and was running drugs interstate and sex trafficking I'm sure everyone involved cleaned up their act

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

cohsae posted:

Despite a (suspended) sentence? :wtc:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queensland police is not strong.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
"You have the right to refuse a sniffer test, however the police will then have more authority to kick the poo poo out of you." Sure this seems fine.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

"[A local service station] ran out of condoms...the general consensus is because people use them to secrete drugs...Young men get their girlfriends to do it," he said.

A servo ran out of rubbers on festival weekend.

Surely the only conclusion is drug smuggling, and the only solution is cavity searching.

:shuckyes:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
twitter's telling me cash the fash just gave the green light to strip climate protesters of welfare

e: no wait, she just said it was a great idea, false alarm (?)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Zenithe posted:

A servo ran out of rubbers frangers on festival weekend.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/mcberkman/status/1186146262346690562

quote:

A sleeping dragon, dragon’s den, monopole and tripod are each a dangerous attachment device.
A dangerous substance or thing means:
• any thing likely to explode, when struck or compressed, causing injury to a person
• any thing likely to cut a person’s skin, or
any substance or thing that requires a person to wear protective clothing to safely handle, cut
or break up the thing.
that cop definitely scratched themselves using an angle grinder in short sleeves

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

Tripod • the legs of the device form a tripod large enough to be used to suspend a person off the
ground
• it reasonably appears to be set up to collapse if another person interferes with the legs
of the device or any support riggings for the device, and
• a collapse of the device would cause injury to the person suspended from it.

I'm pretty sure under this ridiculous definition that fold up camp chairs are now illegal?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

there are pictures on page 29

can you spot the "glass sleeve"?

with all these protesters jamming their arms inside glass tubes i'd expect to be seeing more pictures of protesters with mincemeat arms but im not???

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The story of the cops assaulting that teen is gross as hell, this stupid loving government

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Glass sleeves for metal pipes are a thing you can get at the local Bunnings.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Tokamak posted:

Glass sleeves for metal pipes are a thing you can get at the local Bunnings.

My mind went straight to some sort of booby trap explodng glass scenario it didn't even occur to me they're talking about fibreglass insulation lol

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

I'm sure it isn't used like this by and large but it's dumb to penalise people for using it when really they should be accumulating positive credit reports for making the payments (like paying your credit card).

Their own research suggests that it is used like that and that most of their customers aren't the great unwashed poor, but you, the Facebook Comments Section Personified, could be forgiven for making that mistake.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Their own research suggests that it is used like that and that most of their customers aren't the great unwashed poor, but you, the Facebook Comments Section Personified, could be forgiven for making that mistake.

I'm glad it is; I assumed people would be doing dumb poo poo because why do you trust anyone with anything

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Glassing someone is now called "the lamentation of the beast"

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Nutsak posted:

Most people don't seem to understand that Afterpay is just like Lay-by except you get your stuff first. The reason the media loving hates it is because the banks hate it and don't know how to adjust to another market taking people away from credit cards ( because they're too dumb to advertise that credit cards are a great way to pay for your Afterpay.. . )

Banks, credit card companies and governments hate Afterpay because they can't work out how to get a taste. It's Uber all over again.

Merchants just love it. Hundreds of thousands of customers getting (from their perspective) risk free credit to buy poo poo that they might have otherwise put on lay-buy. Lay-buys can be a massive risk as items become un-cool, lay-buys are broken and they have to sell items at a discount.

People gaming the now defunct Target toy sale nearly destroyed them. People would gamble on what would be popular come Christmas, buy multiples of each and wait. They would break lay-buys of dud purchases, buy only what they wanted and then sold their extra on eBay to pay for Christmas. Lay-buy also takes up an insane amount of dead floor space, packaging and handling. Also, return processes can be a bit abrasive with Afterpay so people are more likely than not to keep what they buy compared to cash/card.

Credit card companies fear the disruption as they completely missed the boat on BNPL and that these apps just bury your payment details in the app. There is no reminder of brand there - which they hate. And of course as Afterpay is doing their own risk scoring and limit your spending amount. If you can make the repayments you are much more likely to pay down your credit card and not being a card company wet dream of what they call a 'revolving balance' which means you're just not supposed to ever get off the interest merry-go-round.

The banks biggest gripe is that they have been wedged out of the acquirer market. In traditional bricks and mortar the merchant will be hit by fees by the bank who has provided an EFT pin pad. If people aren't using it, they get bypassed.

The thing that will put a bit of a hand break on all of this is that regulations just do not cover this well and there's a grey area on whether BNPL is a form of cash advance and not a purchase.

So once all those loopholes are closed and Afterpay's ticket is clipped by someone all of these problems will melt away by magic.

Sorry for the word salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol if you're expecting regulation to catch up to anything ever again.