Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?

Colonel Whitey posted:

What was the response from the police officers to the Latin “who watches the watchmen?”

I think it was "we watch".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Did anyone notice "Under the Hood" at 29:46, when Judd meets Sister Night in his office?

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 21, 2019

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Did anyone notice "Under the Hood" at 29:46. when Judd meets Sister Night in his office?

Also Angela’s keycode password is 1985.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I really enjoyed this first episode and am really excited for more. My friend that usually likes heady stuff and hasn't read or seen the older Watchmen was a bit confused by it. I fear most people will tune out because it will seem too political.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am really surprised how good that was. Though anything that shows White Supremacists being hosed up and shown to be terrorists and utterly evil gets big pluses in my book. I was really wary because there was the whole thing about "its dangerous to be a cop!" but it looks like that's because the cops actually watch out for nazis and poo poo and aren't shooting black people for being in their own homes.

It is nice to see a world for a change that isn't a dystopia.

Thank god the robot maid wasn't giving Veldt a handjob.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I also thought the Russian vigilante was interesting. It seems strange that a guy who openly expresses support for communism (the dude is wearing red and yellow for chrissakes) would allowed to be part of the vigilante group in god-fearing Oklahoma. Maybe the Soviets have a superhero exchange program?

Looking at the some of the other heroes I'm kind of thinking "are these guys antifa with capes?"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

It is nice to see a world for a change that isn't a dystopia.

The cops are unaccountable Judge Dredd assholes who do whatever they want and the most well-armed opposition to their technocratic police state is a bunch of violent jug-blowing tinfoil hat racists.

It's not only a dystopia, but basically a mirror to our own.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Haven’t heard Jeremy Irons bust out his phony American accent in a long while.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

The cops are unaccountable Judge Dredd assholes who do whatever they want and the most well-armed opposition to their technocratic police state is a bunch of violent jug-blowing tinfoil hat racists.

It's not only a dystopia, but basically a mirror to our own.

It's not a mirror of our world at all. It's an utopia free of hypocrisy where racial inequality has been achieved by extending the human rights brown people have in other countries to white americans.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Coulda swore I saw a shot of the giant alien murder squid in the pod scene as part of that psychological slideshow.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i thought the kkk strafing people with aeroplanes in 1921 was over the top and welp turns out they actually did it :stare:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i thought the kkk strafing people with aeroplanes in 1921 was over the top and welp turns out they actually did it :stare:

Fun* fact: The City of Tulsa and the government of Oklahoma tried to damnatio memoriae the Tulsa race riot to the point of keeping it out of the state's textbooks and curriculum. Several racist politicians and their cronies also threatened the newspapers in the local area and ensured that any reporting on the matter placed the onus squarely on Black people and downplayed how many people actually died in the event. Thanks to various scholars and reporters keeping the issue alive, there's been actual groundswell support to find the mass graves and bury the victims properly. The papers reported that between 15 to 30 people died in the riot when it was actually closer to 400.

* not very fun at all.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The music is so loving good.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Who was flying the owlship?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who was flying the owlship?

Pirate Jenny

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like her mail mask.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

excited to see where this goes, as this was a great start.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

it’s gonna be interesting to watch a whole lot of people learn about tulsa for the first time. might not be news to you, but bass reeves, the black deputy in the movie from the beginning, was real too and his biography is pretty wild

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

double negative posted:

excited to see where this goes, as this was a great start.

it’s gonna be interesting to watch a whole lot of people learn about tulsa for the first time. might not be news to you, but bass reeves, the black deputy in the movie from the beginning, was real too and his biography is pretty wild

make with the name....

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Guess he could lift 200 pounds

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

I also thought the Russian vigilante was interesting. It seems strange that a guy who openly expresses support for communism (the dude is wearing red and yellow for chrissakes) would allowed to be part of the vigilante group in god-fearing Oklahoma. Maybe the Soviets have a superhero exchange program?

He's not a vigilante, he's a police detective—we've yet to see any masked folks who aren't. All cops wear masks, police detectives get to have custom costumes.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gonz posted:

Coulda swore I saw a shot of the giant alien murder squid in the pod scene as part of that psychological slideshow.

The classroom also had an informative poster about the big boy :science:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The old man is going to turn out to be Hooded Justice

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

How the gently caress is anyone getting "liberal" out of any of this? The state is very clearly insanely authoritarian.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The bad guys are racists. it's like the justice league vs Injustice League

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Holy gently caress I just watched this an hour ago and it was incredible and no way am I going to be able to sleep any time soon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tiggum posted:

How the gently caress is anyone getting "liberal" out of any of this? The state is very clearly insanely authoritarian.

Absolutely, but I can see where it came from—in The Seventh Cavalry's video they said they were anti-liberal, so I can see viewers just running with the fact that their opposition are liberals. But that's some pretty lazy viewing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The police are so fascist in this which is so fascinating considering they are fighting KKK Racists.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/DavidDTSS/status/1186106512302837760?s=19

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 21, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Oh yeah. The sequence with the parents putting the kid in the carriage and then the baby reminded me of Superman. I was half wondering if the kid had superpowers. The guy in the wheelchair is 102 (I think that's what he said) so he's gotta be the kid that found the baby, right?

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
I’m interested to see if the police all over the country wear masks and fly machines based off of Archimedes, or if it’s just that Tulsa pd had a night owl fanboy of a chief instituting reforms after the white night.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oh yeah. The sequence with the parents putting the kid in the carriage and then the baby reminded me of Superman. I was half wondering if the kid had superpowers. The guy in the wheelchair is 102 (I think that's what he said) so he's gotta be the kid that found the baby, right?

He was holding the note that his father put in his pocket at the end of the show. He is definitely that kid.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

badjohny posted:

He was holding the note that his father put in his pocket at the end of the show. He is definitely that kid.

gently caress you're right. I gotta re-watch it tonight.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
We going to find out the chief was one of the 7th Cav ?

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
this was really good, and adrians weird sexbots are supremely creepy

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

We going to find out the chief was one of the 7th Cav ?

That's what it felt like to me for a while, but after the farm raid it doesn't seem likely.

During the traffic stop at the beginning, who was the person in charge of releasing the gun? I assumed the reluctance on the part of the officer to talk to that person was because they were a suspected Seventh Cavalry member, but in retrospect it might've been Panda or someone like him who was anti-lethal force.

But I feel like we're definitely going to get some sort of Cavalry mole in the force regardless.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm pretty sure it was just Panda, yeah.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The story definitely seemed to hint at some sketchiness about the chief that will probably get expanded on in coming episodes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

The story definitely seemed to hint at some sketchiness about the chief that will probably get expanded on in coming episodes.

I mean, he's a cop.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Goddamn I wish they would release the score episodes by episode on Spotify. Some real good Reznor/Ross here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

The bad guys are racists. it's like the justice league vs Injustice League

I'm wondering if "white supremacist" is going to have a different meaning here. Something like the squid attack caused some kind of change or perceived change and that's what this whole thing is about. The kid mentioned "Redfordations" (love it) which could mean just reparations for slavery or maybe something else? We'll see.

Jeremy Irons is going to gently caress over those servants so hard.