Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also most modern junk food has vitamins in it. Yesterday I stayed off scurvy by eating a pack of sour gummy worms. I assume this is why even those poor enough to be suffering chronic malnutrition in the US don’t come down with poo poo like scurvy, it’s always weirdo goonlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

sullat posted:

Try dwarf fortress and see! Cage traps work well and will capture anything from a kobold thief to a rampaging titan.

I've clocked in 5000+ hours in DF, and while I gotta give Toady credit for hand-crafting the specs to each type of rock, it's mostly handy for deciding which kind of boulder to drop on the head of a goblin :shobon:

Tias fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 17, 2020

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I can’t speak to the presses and any improvements in manufacturing processes (streamlined factory work flows etc) but the basic composition of the cartridges was the same. A case from 1914 is more or less identical to one from 1939 as is the bullet and powder.

I think the US switched to M2 AP for general issue because it was plenty effective and a steel core is easier to make in mobilization quantities than lead is. It is certainly a factor in modern bullet design. Chuds love to freak out about M855A1 being 'eco friendly' as if turning ranges into a superfund site is an essential part of being combat effective when it's something needed in case of major war and considering the expansion criteria is about as rules-lawyery as you can get for an infantry round not being a war crime.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

a steel core is easier to make in mobilization quantities than lead is
how and why?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

LingcodKilla posted:

When I was visiting a friend at Berkeley in the mid 90s I was shown a dude who lived entirely off chicken and white sauce pizza and managed to come down with the first case of scurvy in living memory at the college.

Drink your Mountain Dew kids.
A rich kid at my high school are so much cheese he got kidney stones. He wasn’t even a big guy.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GUNS posted:

how and why?

I think it's just down to what industrial capacity the US had. Absolute shitloads of steel production means it's easy to just jacket up a big old chunk of the stuff and not have to worry about ramping up production of something that doesn't have other major uses.

And these days we just don't make much lead at all, cause it's all toxic.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lead also has a lot of other uses besides bullets. It’s one of those things where you’re prioritizing what to use it for and using an acceptable of not totally optimal replacement.

Fun fact: WW2 is when the US govt stopped using copper washed steel paper clips and went to naked steel. The copper wash makes them less prone to rust in storage but they figured out by eliminating it they could make some crazy number of extra jackets for bullets (and wire, and other war critical poo poo). After the war they just never started again. I THINK they eventually just moved to stainless steel for the clips to get the same low rust properties.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fun fact: WW2 is when the US govt stopped using copper washed steel paper clips and went to naked steel. The copper wash makes them less prone to rust in storage but they figured out by eliminating it they could make some crazy number of extra jackets for bullets (and wire, and other war critical poo poo). After the war they just never started again. I THINK they eventually just moved to stainless steel for the clips to get the same low rust properties.
that can't be one hundred percent the case, i've seen old paperclips rust a shape into archival papers, naked steel must have been used at least sometimes before the war

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GUNS posted:

that can't be one hundred percent the case, i've seen old paperclips rust a shape into archival papers, naked steel must have been used at least sometimes before the war

I know it was a US govt (federal) thing. Dunno about other sources of paperwork.

Also copper washed clips will still rust. It just takes longer. They’re nowhere near as good as stainless clips when it comes to that.

It came up when I was working at a Navy archive recently.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s a story about the Soviets unmasking American spies because of the stainless steel in their identity documents.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

HEY GUNS posted:

If the coating is thin enough, the copper might get rusted, and worn off enough to expose the iron.

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 20, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tias posted:

I've clocked in 1000+ hours in DF, and while I gotta give Toady credit for hand-crafting the specs to each type of rock, it's mostly handy for deciding which kind of boulder to drop on the head of a goblin :shobon:

I don't think historical fortifications were wacky in the way you request... It's just a whole bunch of "how to make sure we can shoot enemy man in the head from as many angles as possible, while making sure the architecture doesn't collapse on itself"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also most modern junk food has vitamins in it. Yesterday I stayed off scurvy by eating a pack of sour gummy worms. I assume this is why even those poor enough to be suffering chronic malnutrition in the US don’t come down with poo poo like scurvy, it’s always weirdo goonlords.

Imagine telling a medieval peasant of a land where food is so cheap that the biggest problem the poor has is eating too much.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

Imagine telling a medieval peasant of a land where food is so cheap that the biggest problem the poor has is eating too much.

They’d give you that fluoride stare.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I would definitely not call that the biggest problem that poor people have.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Platystemon posted:

They’d give you that fluoride stare.
my teeth rule, suck it medevailures

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Or that you could get like 500 nails for a marginal amount of labor.

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

chitoryu12 posted:

Imagine telling them of a land where smallpox is gone, and most other infectious diseases are nearly gone.

Well, that was the case. loving anti-vaxxers.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kangxi posted:

Imagine telling them of a land where smallpox is gone, and most other infectious diseases are nearly gone.

Well, that was the case. loving anti-vaxxers.
the ottomans had a smallpox vaccine for a long time, and the rest of "the west" got it soon enough that it still counts as early modern. they got antivaxxers about at the same time

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

chitoryu12 posted:

There’s been a handful of cases of college students getting scurvy. It takes an extremely tiny amount of Vitamin C to prevent it and symptoms don’t show for a month or more, so only the most supremely lazy ones got it.

Considering onions are packed with vitamin C, you have to be really loving up your normal diet if you get scurvy.

Cause c'mon. Onions are delicious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Considering onions are packed with vitamin C, you have to be really loving up your normal diet if you get scurvy.

Or just drink some orange juice. It's the standard breakfast drink if you don't drink coffee everywhere I've lived.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O yeah, word.

I just was thinking about it and can't imagine how I'd go a week without even just accidentally eating onions. They're the base of so much cooking.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Can't have french onion soup without them!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

it turns out that just baking a yellow/white onion for like an hour makes it fairly tasty on its own - I ended up doing 1 hour 400F instead of what the hat guy recommended and it was nice with some big-grain kosher salt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9spqCzSkQ

(probably should have posted this in the historical cooking thread but what the hell it's kind of relevant)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Don't make me post onion recipes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Bubba gump but he all about onion

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

C.M. Kruger posted:

Or that you could get like 500 nails for a marginal amount of labor.

Central heating/cooling.

Modern sneakers.

Laser eye surgery. Cochlear implants.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I absolutely adore the show but the shrimp layer thing on QI cannot be real, can it? I know the ocean is a noisy place, lousy with background noise from both biological and environmental sources but a layer of shrimp that interferes with sonar the world's ocean over seems a little much. Oh and for subs patrolling the arctic, does sea ice hamper ASW efforts? If you can't answer this for opsec reasons just leave me a winkey smiley, I totally get it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think historical fortifications were wacky in the way you request... It's just a whole bunch of "how to make sure we can shoot enemy man in the head from as many angles as possible, while making sure the architecture doesn't collapse on itself"

This is fine, I'm mostly interested in the what to build on which soil angle.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I absolutely adore the show but the shrimp layer thing on QI cannot be real, can it? I know the ocean is a noisy place, lousy with background noise from both biological and environmental sources but a layer of shrimp that interferes with sonar the world's ocean over seems a little much. Oh and for subs patrolling the arctic, does sea ice hamper ASW efforts? If you can't answer this for opsec reasons just leave me a winkey smiley, I totally get it.

It sounds like they are conflating two things or exaggerating for effect as QI sometimes does. So snapping shrimp do make a noise that can be heard on sonar sets. It sounds like frying bacon if you get a bunch of them together. But they don't make layer more like schools. This noise is generated by their prey killing methods of making cavitating bubbles. Then there is a thing called the deep scattering layer. The deep scattering layer isn't universal across the oceans but tends to be a bit patchy. What happens is sonar hits air bladders inside various sea life and scatters. So you'll get a reading that there is a false sea floor there. But the deep scattering layer is mostly lanternfish. Shrimp will make up some of the returns but a much smaller percentage of them. I suspect that where the confusion comes from was WWII ASW efforts which would find that shrimp beds could interfere with sonar operators trying to listen for the sound of subs. But again, that was a localized thing. And to make it a bit more MilHistory, apparently US subs carried maps of known shrimp beds as places to hide. The deep scattering layer was less likely to hide subs and more likely to confuse the poo poo out of navigators who would be getting told false depths.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don't trust anyone who doesn't like onions. Just on a fundamental level, I don't understand how you can get to that state.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

(probably should have posted this in the historical cooking thread but what the hell it's kind of relevant)

Link?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I will eat cooked/prepared onions without issue but I worked in a wholesale produce warehouse for a long time and the smell of wet or rotten onions and those 50lb mesh bags they have to ship them in (so they breathe) have tainted my perception. There were other items that were bad too but onions consistently sucked to handle; there is a smashed or rotten one in drat near every bag and that smell sticks to things like clothing/gloves.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 21, 2019

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I would give well prepared food with onion a chance but they aren't my mega favourite.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh and for subs patrolling the arctic, does sea ice hamper ASW efforts?

Absolutely. The ambient noise level near pack ice is higher, which gives you more leeway to hide yourself if your submarine is louder than you’d like. This is a large part of why the Russians run some of their deterrent patrols under ice.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

It’s really difficult for a human to ingest that sort of caloric load. Michael Phelps was working hard just to get that much food down his gullet. The military guidelines are 3 MREs/day for combat troops, but it’s hard to get them to actually eat them; the 1250 calories is the whole MRE: the entree, the crackers, the peanut butter (or jalapeño cheese which really kicks the peanut butter’s rear end), the drink packet, etc. A lot of them will not eat the whole thing regularly. Making a field ration palatable enough for troops to eat 3750 calories/day of it is a challenge.

I used to have to eat around 10k calories a day when I was in the super intense preseason training period for hockey (at about 6' 180). It...wasn't that hard.

That said I don't think I ever came close to eating 3 full MREs a day even when burning way more than that caloric load.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Going off of food chat - when did armies begin standardized rations for front line troops? Seven Years War?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I think you place the wrong emphasis on your earlier post. Our agriculture is not bad because it is mechanized but because of how it is organized. Capitalism incentivizes monocultures, wasting millions of gallons of milk (literally pouring it down the drain), the oceans being picked clean with tons of wastage (we hit peak fish in the 1980s),

The fish thing is interesting, though capitalism and communism were shoulder to shoulder when it came to wasteful extraction, and in a non-trival sense it is all the fault of the UN

So the UN drew up its first law of the sea, and either due to lobbying, food insecurity in the '40s, or really dumb ideas about fishing, established that beyond a three mile territorial limit everybody was "allowed to fish surplus fish stocks" with no restriction. Fish stocks were "surplus" if there was any fish. This was bad.

What's worse is by the mid 1950s,large factory trawlers became a thing, and Europe and the Soviet Union began building poo poo tons of them. Europe also started heavily subsidizing both trawler building and fishermen. So from around 1955-1970 was peak fish, as ocean fleets went around the world fishing stocks to collapse. (People who managed to avoid this were Iceland and South American nations, who had the foresight to unilaterally declare their fishing grounds theirs.) While lots of this fish ended up as food, there's other uses for fish too, namely as fertilizer and fishmeal for feedstock. Egregiously gross example: in the 1950s, Newfoundland was apparently hunting Mike whales so they could be reduced to feed for mink farms

1970 saw, once the damage was done, a revising of the UN rules, establishing a 200 mile territorial limit. This fit most fishing grounds though not Canada's most important one. But here's where we get to a whole new level of dumbassery: America and Canada then started doing the exact same thing that the foreign fishing fleets had done: massively subsidize offshore fishing fleets. In essence now the strip mining had become domestic. Without proper fisheries science to say what was sustainable and what was not, there was no way to judge what a sustainable catch was, and that was set by politicians anyway

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Going off of food chat - when did armies begin standardized rations for front line troops? Seven Years War?
there was a "standard loaf" of ration bread in the 16th century. at least the late 16th century.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think the read of that is "this is the fault of the UN", or capitalism, or communism. Short termist greed and selfishness transcends economic ideologies. In the end, the future doesn't get to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nebakenezzer posted:

The fish thing is interesting, though capitalism and communism were shoulder to shoulder when it came to wasteful extraction, and in a non-trival sense it is all the fault of the UN

So the UN drew up its first law of the sea, and either due to lobbying, food insecurity in the '40s, or really dumb ideas about fishing, established that beyond a three mile territorial limit everybody was "allowed to fish surplus fish stocks" with no restriction. Fish stocks were "surplus" if there was any fish. This was bad.

What's worse is by the mid 1950s,large factory trawlers became a thing, and Europe and the Soviet Union began building poo poo tons of them. Europe also started heavily subsidizing both trawler building and fishermen. So from around 1955-1970 was peak fish, as ocean fleets went around the world fishing stocks to collapse. (People who managed to avoid this were Iceland and South American nations, who had the foresight to unilaterally declare their fishing grounds theirs.) While lots of this fish ended up as food, there's other uses for fish too, namely as fertilizer and fishmeal for feedstock. Egregiously gross example: in the 1950s, Newfoundland was apparently hunting Mike whales so they could be reduced to feed for mink farms

1970 saw, once the damage was done, a revising of the UN rules, establishing a 200 mile territorial limit. This fit most fishing grounds though not Canada's most important one. But here's where we get to a whole new level of dumbassery: America and Canada then started doing the exact same thing that the foreign fishing fleets had done: massively subsidize offshore fishing fleets. In essence now the strip mining had become domestic. Without proper fisheries science to say what was sustainable and what was not, there was no way to judge what a sustainable catch was, and that was set by politicians anyway

https://psmag.com/social-justice/the-senseless-environment-crime-of-the-20th-century-russia-whaling-67774

Not just fish, either.