Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

teagone posted:

Oh, wait, it's a Roku? Or the TV's plex app?

[edit] Either way, hardwire everything to rule out wifi.

TheScott2K posted:

You have AC wireless but are you sure your Roku isn't just N? A PC and a client sharing an N network with imperfect signal could have trouble keeping up.

I've got a premier which has AC but I think I've got a long enough ethernet cable to try running it wired to see. I figured it was either the wireless or my PC.

Nairbo posted:

If you're using a C9 I wouldn't bother with the Roku. The WebOS Plex app is pretty good and I use it over even the Shield which is universally considered to be the best Plex player. It plays more content natively, for example it works on higher Ref Frames for direct playing videos than the Roku does.

I've been indecisive on it. I'll probably switch over to it fully instead of my Roku unless I'm feeling like I'm missing an app, but so far, I'm not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Bonzo posted:

Are you just running two 6TB drives attached to it?

Yeah it's all plug and play and works great.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Taima posted:

The shield is absolutely incredible for Plex (server and player). I use it as a 12TB server for 4K remux and as a player to my C9. Plex recently redid their app on it and it’s even better.

Can the shield direct stream/play 4k HDR10 + PGS subtitles? Or does it need to re-render it?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm pretty sure Plex just cannot burn in subtitles with 4k hdr content since that requires transcoding a 4k file and in the process of doing that you lose the HDR metadata (if it'll even do it at all).

At least that's been my experience on my shield tv the few times I've tried. It'll either work for a minute or so but you lose the HDR tonemapping, making everything washed out, or it will crash the plex player.

edit: Plex (at least on my shield tv) cannot directplay 4k hdr + PGS subtitles it has to burn them in which causes the above issues.

edit 2: one solution could be to find or convert the pgs subtitles to .srt. Those should be direct playable

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 15, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MagusDraco posted:

I'm pretty sure Plex just cannot burn in subtitles with 4k hdr content since that requires transcoding a 4k file and in the process of doing that you lose the HDR metadata (if it'll even do it at all).

At least that's been my experience on my shield tv the few times I've tried. It'll either work for a minute or so but you lose the HDR tonemapping, making everything washed out, or it will crash the plex player.

edit: Plex (at least on my shield tv) cannot directplay 4k hdr + PGS subtitles it has to burn them in which causes the above issues.

edit 2: one solution could be to find or convert the pgs subtitles to .srt. Those should be direct playable

Thanks. That is one big selling point to the Apple TV right now. I hope the other new generation of high end players gets that soon. (Shield, new roku ultra) I assume the actual C9 plex app is hot garbage. I haven't actually hooked mine up to internet lest the UI get even worse. gently caress that motion sensitive remote and its dumb little cursor.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Taima posted:

Nah you just get the cheapest one and connect 1-2 usb hard drives to it.

Ah neat, did they change things as I remember a complaint back a while back was if you don't get the version with the bigger internal storage, once your Plex library grows it runs out of space to hold the database/catalog files etc. They now allow this to be held on an external? That'll save some $ for people at least.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah neat, did they change things as I remember a complaint back a while back was if you don't get the version with the bigger internal storage, once your Plex library grows it runs out of space to hold the database/catalog files etc. They now allow this to be held on an external? That'll save some $ for people at least.

I think you need to format the storage and not have it be removable, maybe that's for the SD card. I was just reading the FAQ on it. I think it was on this page: https://support.plex.tv/articles/220391808-media-storage-options-for-nvidia-shield/

quote:

Internal Storage: This option allows you to basically replace the internal storage and instead use the attached USB drive for installing apps. Choosing this option will format the drive and you will lose any existing data on it! At that point, the drive can only be used with the NVIDIA SHIELD and will not be usable with other devices unless you format it again.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

100% not true (for USB hard drives at least). I can use my Shield hard drives on my PC. I do that regularly in fact. They are completely interchangeable, but the Shield does add a few folders on the root of course.

e: however I use my Shield storage for Plex only so I guess I can't comment on using external storage for other Shield functions. As far as I know it should work though, the drives are fully recognized in the UI and noted as part of the overall storage.

H110Hawk posted:

Can the shield direct stream/play 4k HDR10 + PGS subtitles? Or does it need to re-render it?

Sorry I have no experience with subtitles on Plex.

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks. That is one big selling point to the Apple TV right now. I hope the other new generation of high end players gets that soon. (Shield, new roku ultra) I assume the actual C9 plex app is hot garbage. I haven't actually hooked mine up to internet lest the UI get even worse. gently caress that motion sensitive remote and its dumb little cursor.

The C9 app is decent to good for what it is.

I'm not sure how the UI would get worse by plugging it into the net, you can turn off all of the ad stuff in the options, and you can turn off the motion controls on the remote too. LG does a good job (imo) on allowing you to customize all of this stuff.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 15, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The Shield has 2 options for storage.. Adopted storage, and regular external storage support.

If you use "adopted" storage, the attached drive is reformatted and some mount points are changed so that the attached drive appears to applications as internal storage. The drive is formatted and encrypted using a key specific to the device. This renders the disk unreadable on other devices. If you do this, many apps installed on the Shield are not usable unless the drive is plugged in, because they are moved to the newly adopted drive.

If you just plug a drive in and use it as external storage, it works no differently than SD cards on Android phones. The disk retains whatever format it already was and you can plug/unplug it at will and use it connected to your PC.

The original issue is that Plex was not setting the flag in their server app that allowed data to be relocated. So even if you had a disk adopted as internal storage, it couldn't use it. So the 11GB free that the 16GB model Shield typically had would quickly fill up with Plex server metadata.

Far as I know they fixed this some time ago.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Taima posted:

I'm not sure how the UI would get worse by plugging it into the net, you can turn off all of the ad stuff in the options, and you can turn off the motion controls on the remote too. LG does a good job (imo) on allowing you to customize all of this stuff.

I mean, you just described how it would become worse. I shouldn't have to turn off a bunch of poo poo just because it's hooked up to the internet. I shouldn't have to hunt through every menu to disable stuff I shouldn't have to know to look for in the first place. If I wanted the Windows 10 experience on my TV I would just hook up a computer.

How do you disable the remote's stupid motion sensor/cursor? The owners manual doesn't say how that I see.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Now I'll say there is another workaround to this problem with the Shield TV. You can use MrMC (or kodi or something else based on kodi) with their built in plex addon and you just have a kodi variant using your plex library direct playing everything, even PGS subtitles but anytime I mess with kodi or anything kodi adjacent I notice microstuttering so drat my eyes or my ability to not set stuff up right

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 15, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MagusDraco posted:

Now I'll say there is another workaround to this problem with the Shield TV. You can use MrMC (or kodi or something else based on kodi) with their built in plex addon and you just have a kodi variant using your plex library direct playing everything, even PGS subtitles but anytime I mess with kodi or anything kodi adjacent I notice microstuttering so drat my eyes or my ability to not set stuff up right

How does Kodi (et al) manage to "direct play" everything when in theory it's the hardware in the playback device causing the issues? Or is that shield specific?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

How does Kodi (et al) manage to "direct play" everything when in theory it's the hardware in the playback device causing the issues? Or is that shield specific?

In this case it's more that the plex player software that doesn't know what to do with PGS subtitles because they are images so it has to transcode the video to burn them in.

Kodi's player (MrMC is a fork of kodi) can just play them because kodi's video player just can do it.

edit: Similar to how windows can just do it via ffmpeg codecs or whatever. I don't really know the technical reason why. The shield tv hardware can 100% handle pgs subs but plex's android player cannot is all I understand.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

I mean, you just described how it would become worse. I shouldn't have to turn off a bunch of poo poo just because it's hooked up to the internet. I shouldn't have to hunt through every menu to disable stuff I shouldn't have to know to look for in the first place. If I wanted the Windows 10 experience on my TV I would just hook up a computer.

How do you disable the remote's stupid motion sensor/cursor? The owners manual doesn't say how that I see.

It's like... one setting in the menu? It's just perplexing because you've seemed to have built up some kind of persecution complex where you're mad at stuff that your TV does when you can spend like 60 seconds and it would... you know... not do those things.

As for the other thing, it's in the magic remote manual on page 4:
http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fileId=GDVbKIjA4Ynbwfhv6N1g

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Taima posted:

It's like... one setting in the menu? It's just perplexing because you've seemed to have built up some kind of persecution complex where you're mad at stuff that your TV does when you can spend like 60 seconds and it would... you know... not do those things.

As for the other thing, it's in the magic remote manual on page 4:
http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile?fileId=GDVbKIjA4Ynbwfhv6N1g

I deeply hate technology that works against the consumer. It's why I really like the tivo and am saddened to see them jump the shark. Having ads pop up on my TV should be default off. It shouldn't be sending back telemetry either without explicit opt in. Just because consumers put up with a bunch of really dumb stuff doesn't make it a good thing. Dishwashers got quieter and electronics got loud. It used to be that electronics were quiet.

With some technology I get why it's awful or clunky - plex for example - but it is also what amounts to a couple of people's freeish pet project gone off the rails. They are beholden to a bunch of competing standards, some of which are secrets because the manufacturer doesn't want to put up with it. The other half is the difficulty conveying the huge amount of nuance in video encoding schemes and why one seemingly small change can make a video not work entirely. PGS subtitles requires video compositing and until someone said they are literally full resolution pictures of the subtitles it just never made sense.

The magic remote automatically repairs when you press the center button, which is how you select things on the screen. That is broken in my book. I was in fact looking at the wrong result on Google previously.

It's not like these things couldn't just be natural and intuitive, but it requires actual effort. Or in some cases stopping when a product is complete.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Counterpoint: I like the cursor mouse on the controller

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nairbo posted:

Counterpoint: I like the cursor mouse on the controller

Great! It's neato that cheap accelerometers are a thing and I can see it being useful inside of like the netflix app. It's not useful in the settings unless you have a super steady hand. In the accessibility menu they have slow/fast/faster and small/medium/large. I just want that screen to have "off."

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It just works like a regular controller if you use it like one. As in, you can navigate using the buttons and the pointer goes away, regardless if it's in "non-magic remote" mode or not.

I kind of agree about the efficacy of the motion controls in general though. I have a steady hand, but even then I feel like it's just fluff and I can usually do what I want slightly easier by using the buttons. But it doesn't concern me much on the whole because if you use the buttons as such, the motion controls don't come into the picture.

The magic remote also works on my Shield and my PS4, and works seamlessly with my receiver. I love the magic remote. It's loving great. There's only one remote on my desk, the magic remote, and it handles everything.

Taima fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 16, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Taima posted:

It just works like a regular controller if you use it like one. As in, you can navigate using the buttons and the pointer goes away, regardless if it's in "non-magic remote" mode or not.

Dumb question - How do I "select" things in dumb remote mode? I tried, and pressing the wheel which as far as I know is "select", causes a re-pair. It's in the docs.

Taima posted:

The magic remote also works on my Shield and my PS4, and works seamlessly with my receiver. I love the magic remote. It's loving great. There's only one remote on my desk, the magic remote, and it handles everything.

Other than the cursor I am close to replacing my tivo remote with it as the sole remote. As it stands I just need it to hit "yes" to if I want to connect my bluetooth headphones and then patiently wait on the cursor to leave the screen. Unless I bump it with something.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Dumb question - How do I "select" things in dumb remote mode? I tried, and pressing the wheel which as far as I know is "select", causes a re-pair. It's in the docs.

Ok so you're using the Home and Back buttons to de-pair, right? If you are, I don't know how to solve that either.

I don't de-pair the remote, I just use the arrows as normal. Sorry this is a really hard conversation to have without being there in person.

In any case, this is out of the scope of the Plex thread, sorry to everyone else. Move it to the HDTV thread if you wish and I would be happy to continue helping, if you feel my help would be effective.

Taima fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 16, 2019

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
How is the Plex app on Apple TV 4K? It's slow as poo poo on my LG TV app, and it's frustrating as hell.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Works good for me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

How is the Plex app on Apple TV 4K? It's slow as poo poo on my LG TV app, and it's frustrating as hell.

I believe their new player is supposed to be great and able to do everything (notably client side render pgs subtitles rather than transcode to burn them in.) It might be gated by plexpass.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah you need plexpass currently to enable 'experimental player'. It's generally very good and seems to have fixed a whole heap of issues I had with their old player (2 ref frames, some 4K UHD stuff). I still have one film that stutters terribly, but that's not bad.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The ATV 4K plex app is great. It still doesn't direct play TrueHD though, afaik.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

The AppleTV also has an alternative Plex client video player app available called Infuse which costs money but is pretty great.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Taima posted:

The ATV 4K plex app is great. It still doesn't direct play TrueHD though, afaik.
It encodes it to 7 channel DD+ though which is pretty much just as good for most normal folk.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Really? I got a midrange LG and the WebOS app is pretty fast and solid.

Are you sure it’s not your network or server config loving it up somehow?

e: I do have Plex Pass, so that may affect the player version I got apparently though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
It was surprisingly good on my old 2014 LG smart TV. Have not tested it on there recently, maybe I'll give it a rip and see how dated it feels.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Yeah, I don’t have anything that’ll stream 4K so that’s why I have to use the LG builtin app.

It’s wired to my router to a Xeon E3 v3 box with a Pascal VGA card, it does 4K rips just fine. And the interface is more responsive than I’d expect from any builtin TV app. I’m not even sure whether it’s using the CPU or GPU for hardware acceleration, but it probably has the grunt either way to transcode without me being able to tell if it’s direct play or not. I don’t know if it’ll do uncompressed 4K, but I only have 12TB anyway.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

does anyone know what's up with Dolby vision on Plex?

It seems very hit or miss in terms of what titles will play in Dolby Vision. I have some titles that work great, and others that default straight to HDR10. Is this an issue with the files themselves or what?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Taima posted:

does anyone know what's up with Dolby vision on Plex?

It seems very hit or miss in terms of what titles will play in Dolby Vision. I have some titles that work great, and others that default straight to HDR10. Is this an issue with the files themselves or what?

Are they in MP4 format? Unless something has changed very recently, Dolby Vision doesn't work in the mkv container so they need to be in MP4, which unfortunately restricts them from having Dolby Atmos if that's a concern for you. I believe the best audio codec available with a Vision encode is 7.1 DTS XLL which is likely more than enough for most people.

On some of the private sites I frequent, the descriptions suggest that they only work on the LG Web OS Plex app but not on others.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 18, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ah, good call! Our Shield DV conversation was actually what prompted me to wonder about this by the way.

They are MP4. I was trying to figure out the common thread on why only some were working correctly, but that's definitely it. It also very neatly explains why the DV movies I got directly from disc are not working.

As for audio, they appear to be EAC 5.1.

And yeah this is through the LG Plex app.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

For the rare few using the Xbox Plex app, don't use it. Use Kodi with the Plex add-on instead. I tried it out last night and performance is so much better it's kind of funny. It's still stuck using the old tvOS UI too (which owns). It's a bit jank to get the Plex add-on started in Kodi, but lmao the Xbox Plex app is a such joke in comparison that it's worth the few extra seconds needed to launch the add-on.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I tried Ethernet for my 4K buffering issues. Of course, it fixed it but I had to use the TV’s install of Plex. I don’t mind but I weep for my beautiful posters. Now I just need to figure out getting subtitles on it since those seem hit or miss.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

teagone posted:

For the rare few using the Xbox Plex app, don't use it. Use Kodi with the Plex add-on instead. I tried it out last night and performance is so much better it's kind of funny. It's still stuck using the old tvOS UI too (which owns). It's a bit jank to get the Plex add-on started in Kodi, but lmao the Xbox Plex app is a such joke in comparison that it's worth the few extra seconds needed to launch the add-on.

This is pretty much the same for any device that has access to Kodi except maybe the shield. The Fire TV with Kodi sideloaded will direct play more files than the Amazon store version of Plex, though the Fire TV already seems to direct play quite a bit more videos than the Roku already

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

I had to get a new TV cause the old one died. I'm getting buffering when trying to play a HEVC 4k HDR 10bit mkv. I'm not sure if the bottleneck is my wireless, the TV, my Roku, or my PC.

TV: LG C9
PC: Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: 1660ti

Wireless is AC at least I believe.

Any ideas? I did see that subtitles make it transcode so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get around that as I need subtitles pretty much all the time.

Irritated Goat posted:

I tried Ethernet for my 4K buffering issues. Of course, it fixed it but I had to use the TV’s install of Plex. I don’t mind but I weep for my beautiful posters. Now I just need to figure out getting subtitles on it since those seem hit or miss.

Transcoding UHD and HEVC and a more complex file as in 10 b HDR are all computationally intensive. As you can see from this article, the CPU required to transcode a file along the lines of the one you have is roughly eight times what you'd need to transcode a typical FHD AVC file. Your CPU is only about 13k Passmarks (versus the 17k estimated requirement,) so that's your bottleneck right there (even though this is all just a rough estimate.)

It does look like your GPU's NVENC implementation should be able to handle hardware transcoding of that file though.

As has already been mentioned, a congested wireless network will also cause streaming problems. A single wireless connection should be fine (i.e. the server or the client,) but if both devices are trying to communicate wirelessly simultaneously then that should also be expected to saturate the WAP.

You should be able to monitor resource usage in task manager while trying to play that file; I'd wager you'd see the CPU pegged at 100% utilization which would confirm that's the bottleneck.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Don’t bother with task manager. Install Tautulli on the server and pull it up while playing the file. It will tell you whether the transcode is happening in hardware or software and if it’s keeping up.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I could probably get it to work on wireless but it's an excuse to finally run ethernet from my office closet to my living room for everything I have in there. :shrug: I didn't realize until after I made the post that I never did Ethernet to the Roku to test so it may be perfectly fine. I'll test it some time next week and see. It's finally cooling down here and my brother has a wall fishing kit so it won't be a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/10/24/20930560/nvidia-leaked-shield-tv-pro-boxes-on-sale-early-best-buy

I literally was in a best buy yesterday buying the new roku ultra to solve my problems with plex on tivo going even further downhill. :mad: I would have bought both.

Stupid thing still transcoded a 15mbps hevc 4k/hdr stream to h264/12mbps out of the box. I had to go tell it to do the native one manually. I hate technology. I haven't done any troubleshooting but this thing is going to right back to best buy if it won't work correctly. I assume it's some dumb "it thinks plex is remote" thing.