Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Congrats Hellsau

congrats to ghostly flicker as well. come at the king, you best not miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I can't fathom why they wouldn't hit something in Modern or Legacy (they went out of their way to assure us no Vintage shenanigans right before eternal weekend). Guess I'm done with those formats for a while, I'm really sick of nothing but Urza and Wrenn and Six piles respectively.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I am about to be a mod on the new Pioneer subreddit. Who else wants in?

:bisonyes:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Modern's fuckin dead

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I can't fathom why they wouldn't hit something in Modern or Legacy

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I don't hate it. I do hate that I've pretty much dumped all my old Standard stuff that rotated out so I'd need to rebuy anything I particularly wanted to build though.

I'll wait and see if it gains any momentum and just stick to EDH for now.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Deathrite will never be allowed to be good in any playable formats

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I actually like the Pioneer set lists, but I just don't see it taking off.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Love that the middle column of their Pioneer graphic represents the sets that were present when standard was at it's worst. Can't wait to revisit those bant coco, rally the ancestors, aetherworks marvel and energy decks.

also, :laffo: it's another new format that won't show up on arena.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm... not a huge supporter of this? But I guess banning Fetches makes it easy to two distinct eternal formats, Modern with relatively easy good mana and Pioneer with more constrained, color defined mana.

Also the FOD is dead. Long live FOOD.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Reading into this I guess we aren't getting fetches into standard in the later sets this block.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

Love that the middle column of their Pioneer graphic represents the sets that were present when standard was at it's worst. Can't wait to revisit those bant coco, rally the ancestors, aetherworks marvel and energy decks.

I wonder if it will be as big of an issue when you have a wider array of cards in the format to mitigate them?

Really wish I didn't sell off my Spell Quellers. I'd love to bring UW spirits back with stuff like T3feri.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

axeil posted:

Reading into this I guess we aren't getting fetches into standard in the later sets this block.
I would actually read the opposite - they can print Fetchs in Standard without worrying about it ruining their Fetchless eternal format, since everyone will assume they're going to be banned.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

axeil posted:

I thought that at first, too, but I can see them just tacking them onto the Pioneer banlist as soon as they're announced since banning the other 5 sends the clear message to not expect them to be allowed.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
Someone help with this pioneer thing and explain if its good for a returning player too poor to get into modern (me)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
As someone who’s not played much constructed since the late 90s, I’m legit excited for pioneer

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dom is Here posted:

Someone help with this pioneer thing and explain if its good for a returning player too poor to get into modern (me)

Maybe

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dom is Here posted:

No. All the cards that are cheaper today for the format will be expensive tomorrow. Retailers are the only ones who win.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tibalt posted:

I would actually read the opposite - they can print Fetchs in Standard without worrying about it ruining their Fetchless eternal format, since everyone will assume they're going to be banned.

Fetches + shocks in standard would be absolutely crazy and the only reason I thought they might do it is because things have gotten absolutely silly in regards to pricing on the secondary market. Scalding Tarn @ $100 makes it impossible for anyone even semi-budget conscious to get into Modern. I guess Pioneer sort of fixes that but I have no idea if people will go for it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dom is Here posted:

It's good if it catches on, it's bad if it doesn't.

But you basically need to decide right now if you want to buy into it because MTGfinance dorks are going to decide what the staples are before the end of the day and start buying them up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Should have scooped up my sets of BFZ lands this weekend while I had the chance. At least I already have all of the shocklands and (almost) all of the checklands.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Dom is Here posted:

Good for you, assuming it takes off. Decks will be closer to Standard prices, due to the less expensive mana base and larger print runs.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like Im going to have to tread into the mtgfinance reddit. A vile task

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

How long till treasure cruise is banned?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dom is Here posted:

Sounds like Im going to have to tread into the mtgfinance reddit. A vile task

I wouldn't, trying to beat the speculators to a deck you might want to play in a format that might take off when money is a concern sounds like the absolute worst decision you could make.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

axeil posted:

Fetches + shocks in standard would be absolutely crazy and the only reason I thought they might do it is because things have gotten absolutely silly in regards to pricing on the secondary market. Scalding Tarn @ $100 makes it impossible for anyone even semi-budget conscious to get into Modern. I guess Pioneer sort of fixes that but I have no idea if people will go for it.
I guess I misread the post, I thought they meant in the next rotation when RNA had rotated out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Possibly this'll lead to people preemptively dumping their fetches and they'll be a cheaper pickup for a day or two.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I wouldn't, trying to beat the speculators to a deck you might want to play in a format that might take off when money is a concern sounds like the absolute worst decision you could make.

yeah if money is a concern wait at least a month before buying into anything. make sure your local community is actually going to play the new format; if spending money on a modern deck is out of the question, spending half that amount on a deck that you might not be able to use is also a bad idea

mtgfinance types are usually high off their own farts, doubly so if they're on a public message board. if they knew something the rest of the market didn't, they wouldn't be sharing it.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Yeah you're probably right :smith: Hopefully it takes off as a cheaper option. Either way it will be interesting to watch.

Thanks for the responses

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

Should have scooped up my sets of BFZ lands this weekend while I had the chance. At least I already have all of the shocklands and (almost) all of the checklands.

I literally just sold my entire collection of jank rares off since I started playing (Innistrad on) for 4 cents a card. I got 100 bucks but now I'm missing all that sweet jank to build from.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Guess I should've invested in checklands. Does this mean energy decks are going to be insanely oppressive again?

Time to break out the original BW/GW tokens list from RTR!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the format's just going to be Standard All-Star Decks, except with key cards from the last time standard was actually good being literally the only things on the banlist. just an excellent job all around.

also, pioneer and historic launching at the same time.

lmao at all of this, just lmao.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

isn't this eventually going to run into the same problems as modern? is the idea to create a new classic format every decade+?

what was the main issue with extended? expensive cards that didn't retain that value?

Cactrot posted:

also, :laffo: it's another new format that won't show up on arena.

that's the most surprising bit. that it goes back all the way to rtr, rather than a set range that could've feasibly been backported to arena. maybe some day?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I guess it ensures historic will be an arena only format. I'm excited to jank my way into a deck for pioneer, but can't see it taking off here where most people are losing their interest in standard and getting into modern/have already bought into modern.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Rinkles posted:

isn't this eventually going to run into the same problems as modern? is the idea to create a new classic format every decade+?

This isn't exactly that dramatic of an idea, IMO.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cactrot posted:

How long till treasure cruise is banned?

Feels odd to not ban stuff that is already banned in Modern tbh

Also lol at no Modern Horizons

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

what was the main issue with extended?

Nobody liked it / only played it when forced to.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You're probably never getting better mana than Shocks and Checks in this format, and if you look at Modern decks from SCG last week, there are a LOT of $150 decks with $600 manabases.

There are certainly some exceptions to that rule (Jund is a $1200 deck with a $600 manabase), but a playset of Blood Crypt is never going to cost $200.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Rinkles posted:

what was the main issue with extended? expensive cards that didn't retain that value?

extended has a narrow card pool that leads to your choices being "deck from last standard that everyone hated" and "deck from current standard that you hate, but with a few upgrades"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Delve cards are much worse without fetches and multiple 1-drop cantrips to enable them.