Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Good bye modern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://www.reddit.com/r/PioneerMTG/

Come poo poo up reddit.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/CubeApril/status/1186316078248579072

lol, #mtgfinance

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Are people proclaiming Modern dead because of Pioneer or the lack of bannings?

I started playing at Innistrad, so I guess it's good for me, though I don't know, the RTR cutoff seems arbitrary but probably to keep LotV and Snappy out.

Seems super weird when Historic is coming into being, or at least the demand will as Arena collections grow.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I feel like there's got to be a pretty sweet aetherflux reservoir paradoxical outcome deck that's playable in this new format. I mean I'm not going to actually play it because why should I when I could just play modern instead?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Wurzag posted:

I feel like there's got to be a pretty sweet aetherflux reservoir paradoxical outcome deck that's playable in this new format. I mean I'm not going to actually play it because why should I when I could just play modern instead?

I'm tempted to play mono-green stompy with Rancor, but without Ensnaring Bridge.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

C-Euro posted:

It's maybe more of a UW Fliers deck with the eagle lord from M20 and Judge's Familiar?

Maybe? Looking at the Bant Spirits stuff I just picked up, the things you lose are nobles, drogskul captain, and path. Your mana base sucks more now, but you still get to spin the coco wheel. Plus, the big hoser for tribal decks (plague engineer) is now gone. So I'm thinking those two, but who know what you replace path with. There's nothing as clean for removal now-- locked in a tower maybe? It sucks, but it's the closest removal effect I could think of.

I am sad that my starting deck (burn) is completely dead in this new format. You lose goblin guide, lava spike, rift bolt, and lightning bolt. Who will be the fun police if not burn? I guess a bunch of stuff from recent RDW standard implementations could work, but it still feels like you lose too much to put a decent four turn clock on people.

I'd be great if somebody figures out how to get a janky five color gates deck working in this format. I loved that lovely deck, and it might be okay between the board wipes, absurd life gain, and alternate win condition.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm tempted to play mono-green stompy with Rancor, but without Ensnaring Bridge.

I don't think Rancor will be legal, it's last non-supplemental printing is in M13.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cactrot posted:

I don't think Rancor will be legal, it's last non-supplemental printing is in M13.

Wait, poo poo, gently caress this format then.

Just lemme enchant poo poo with Rancor it's literally all I want to do.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are people proclaiming Modern dead because of Pioneer or the lack of bannings?

I started playing at Innistrad, so I guess it's good for me, though I don't know, the RTR cutoff seems arbitrary but probably to keep LotV and Snappy out.

Seems super weird when Historic is coming into being, or at least the demand will as Arena collections grow.

Basically this is likely Wizards doing a trial of the Pioneer format - if it's popular it's possible that it will replace Modern on the competitive circuit and leave Modern to be like Legacy, only supported by SCG and smaller tourneys.

It's also possible that they do what someone suggested earlier with converted PT tourneys into 2 types of constructed instead of constructed + limited.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Pioneer starting with RTR is pretty baller since that is when I actually got into the game for realsies. :v:

So, decks for immediate testing:
Jeskai Saheeli/Felidar Combo
Aetherworks Marvel/Energy Bombs
Bant CoCo
Mono-B Devotion
Mono-U Devotion?
RHINOS!
Red Rocks Me

I think it is funny that the only one mana card selection cantrip that will be legal off the bat is Opt.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

I noticed that Embercleave went from $5 to $17 overnight, presumably due to the ban announcement.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Oko is over $65 btw

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

Pioneer starting with RTR is pretty baller since that is when I actually got into the game for realsies. :v:

Bant CoCo
Mono-B Devotion
Mono-U Devotion?
RHINOS!
Red Rocks Me

I think it is funny that the only one mana card selection cantrip that will be legal off the bat is Opt.

I think there's a BGx deck in there (maybe that's what you meant by Rhinos) but it's going to look much different than Modern BGx.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Oko, man what a card. Odds of emergency ban increasing

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

ShaneB posted:

Oko is over $65 btw

Actually I think you'll find it's 1 mythic rare wildcard :smuggo:

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Sex Weirdo posted:

I noticed that Embercleave went from $5 to $17 overnight, presumably due to the ban announcement.

I think that's based on who won the MCV.

Could Phoenix work in Pioneer? You have Phoenix, thing in the Ice, and blue delve spells to reward you for discarding.

Edit: there are plansewalker heavy decks in legacy now that cost more than 1,000 TIX. Oko is 53 Tix, W6 is 122 Tix. Ridiculous.

neaden fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 21, 2019

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AlternateNu posted:

Bant CoCo
Mono-B Devotion
Mono-U Devotion?
RHINOS!
Red Rocks Me

What's in your red deck? I have to think you're going to have white in there for the good boros stuff, or are you adding in green to go more control oriented with cindervines, eidolon, and leyline? Put down a zoo, and then punish people for trying to interact with it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Look guys, Oko is OK. It's right there, in the name. The format will have multiple viable decks, that they are all GUx is just a coincidence.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oko will be very strong but not broken in a Standard where spot removal is once again not useless against 42 percent of the field

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

neaden posted:

I think that's based on who won the MCV.

Could Phoenix work in Pioneer? You have Phoenix, thing in the Ice, and blue delve spells to reward you for discarding.

Depends whether Thrill of Possibility/Chart a Course/Merchant of the Vale are going to cut it I guess?

Like someone earlier said Opt being the only 1 mana blue cantrip seems like a problem for that kind of deck.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Oko will be very strong but not broken in a Standard where spot removal is once again not useless against 42 percent of the field

Yepp, Sultai will be pretty good against the other Oko decks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
In the midst of all the other astute observations about how dumb this was, has anyone asked why they're calling the least ambitious of the eternal formats "Pioneer"

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

JerryLee posted:

In the midst of all the other astute observations about how dumb this was, has anyone asked why they're calling the least ambitious of the eternal formats "Pioneer"
Because they're rebranding Frontier.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

AlternateNu posted:

This is exactly the reason they chose RTR as the start point.

EDIT - the more I think about the decks that would be good in this new format it's just a list of stuff that was awful to play against in standard like coco and marvel. They should have preemptively banned more stuff cos it's going to take ages for a good format to stabilise (if it ever does)

Wurzag fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 21, 2019

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

RTR is the home of Abrupt Decay, Supreme Verdict, Rest in Peace, and Pithing Needle, so it's got a lot of general answers to bullshit that might pop up. It was also the first non-core expansion set released after Lightning Bolt rotated out, so there's probably a shift in creature design around that time period.

In other news, the old hardened scales list now picks up ugin's conjurant, winding constrictor, and walking ballista, so there's another possible deck that could return.

lol I just realized that enemy fastlands are in. I wonder if that means we'll see a future reprint of allied fastlands or if it'll just force two color aggro decks have to be enemy colors to compete.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Going to be crazy watching all the cards perform, spike, and get banned until there's some kind of balance.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm starting off with a core of 4x Thoughtseize, 4x Fatal Push, and 4x Treasure Cruise and seeing what I can do from there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I'm starting off with a core of 4x Thoughtseize, 4x Fatal Push, and 4x Treasure Cruise and seeing what I can do from there.

outside of fetches, they're not banning anything preemptively like they did with modern?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I assume they're going to see how degenerate the whole thing is, then ban like 15 cards at once a month before the first serious event.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
GoatBots is nonstop busy on MTGO. Anyway here's my initial pass at Jeskai Ascendancy:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I'll be most curious to see what degenerate stuff is NOT allowed since it's only RTR onward. Obviously Affinity and Tron won't be a thing, and I guess a lot of Burn stuff is out too. No Cavern and no Vial, so that's most tribal strats out too.

On the whole, I can see this either being surprisingly fun or surprisingly boring.

E: ^ Ooooooh, I like.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I'm trying to decide which I'm more excited to play again: Whip of Erebos or Sphinx's Rev.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hellsau posted:

GoatBots is nonstop busy on MTGO. Anyway here's my initial pass at Jeskai Ascendancy:

I'mma need a txt export of that, tia

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sickening posted:

I am about to be a mod on the new Pioneer subreddit. Who else wants in?

:bisonyes:

I do! Send me a PM?

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
So what does a pioneer murderking list look like? Asking for a friend.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hellsau posted:

Is Hexproof so important you'd play a creature that can't attack like Sylvan Caryatid?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Consider a 2 of of Shadow of the grave, or whatever that card from amonkhet was called

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

InterrupterJones posted:

I'll be most curious to see what degenerate stuff is NOT allowed since it's only RTR onward. Obviously Affinity and Tron won't be a thing, and I guess a lot of Burn stuff is out too. No Cavern and no Vial, so that's most tribal strats out too.

On the whole, I can see this either being surprisingly fun or surprisingly boring.

E: ^ Ooooooh, I like.

It's only awful is you wanted to be four color. You still have unclaimed territory, which is my slot in for cavern in Bant spirits. Humans could think about just using mana confluence, but I think they lost too many cards in this to be playable in anything near their current configuration. It's kind of serendipitous that I was getting the last bit of stuff for spirits at the same time this announcement came out.

As far as suring up mana bases goes, the line of value for duals is shock -> check -> ??? (tango/fast maybe). You can still get checks for pocket change, so why not try to get a full set ASAP when it might cost closer to $80 vs. $150 or more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Walked posted:

I'mma need a txt export of that, tia

https://pastebin.com/NW1XRAMh

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Is Hexproof so important you'd play a creature that can't attack like Sylvan Caryatid?

Yes, though Caryatid is most important because it taps for all the colors. You only need one creature, and once you're looping through your deck you can eventually find Druid + Expedite + Slip/Crash to win.

The manabase blows. Colors are fine but tap lands are pretty terrible. Young Pyro also doesn't really work because enchantments. Speaking of enchantments, I missed on two consecutive Communes while going off, which isn't great, I won anyway but it could have mattered - going down a card is bad when you get so many loots, so maybe Dragon Mantle or something has to go in.

Also solitaire mode is broken I guess? I cannot cast this Slip through Space for some reason, but they were castable in a random match I played in the freeform lobby (lost to Marvel into Ugin):

A big flaming stink posted:

Consider a 2 of of Shadow of the grave, or whatever that card from amonkhet was called

You're not going to fizzle if you have mana creature + Ascendancy and are going off. The standard version fizzled because it didn't have enough cantrips and had to play garbage like Taigam's Scheming. This is just mono-card draw.