Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

what do y’all think about the askhistorians subreddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

THS posted:

That's afaik by far the largest subreddit that's good. My only complaint would be the number of high-tier responders who seem to be mostly focused on surface-level military history

I haven't been on reddit for a couple years though

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Plutonis posted:

I liked Umberto Eco's book Baudolino that gives an insane murder mystery explanation to why an experienced swimmer like Fred somehow died on such a lovely river

Just read that recently based on some goon's recommendation, a pro pro read.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Grevling posted:

Just read that recently based on some goon's recommendation, a pro pro read.

Eco is as good an author as he was a social commentator ie very.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Flavius Aetass posted:

responders who seem to be mostly focused on surface-level military history

thats like 90 percent of reddit but if they aren't actually nazis cut them some slack anyone of us terminally online freaks could have gotten trapped in pedantic milhistory hell

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

THS posted:

Mr. Dick only stumbled into it once. It's not terrible but his experience did consist of a bunch of post about pederasty in the Socratic dialogs written by people who had never read Aristophanes or, likely, any of the dialogues outside of The Apology.

Take it with a grain of salt, it's definitely good by reddit standards.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Mr. Dick posted:

Mr. Dick only stumbled into it once. It's not terrible but his experience did consist of a bunch of post about pederasty in the Socratic dialogs written by people who had never read Aristophanes or, likely, any of the dialogues outside of The Apology.

why are you referring to yourself in the third person

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
he always does that

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

THS posted:

why are you referring to yourself in the third person

Because the internet isn't real. It seems to deeply, instinctually and profoundly bother those who are so deluded that they cannot fathom that the internet is not real.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Mr. Dick posted:

Because the internet isn't real. It seems to deeply, instinctually and profoundly bother those who are so deluded that they cannot fathom that the internet is not real.

you post like you're huffing your own farts 24/7 which may also be a factor

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The amoxicillin is making them exceptionally rancid.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheTattooedProf/status/1176851459905871872

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i took a seminar on incas for my professional development and a black lady in the group was using alien pyramid theory to advance her beliefs that the white race had stolen and covered up the interstellar legacy of ancient africa and south america.
it made the nat hist museum guys eyes bug out and i told her that i believed her so she felt better about getting shut down by another white gatekeeper

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Real hurthling! posted:

salve.
hodie in animo habeo scribere in latina.
nescio autem quid scribam.
tam terribile dictu ut verba quae pulcherrima videantur sed nugae sint faciam.
vale.

Ecce in pictura est puella romana, nomine Cornelia.

Cornelia est laetae puella

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mr. Dick posted:

That's damning by faint praise if I ever saw it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ikanreed posted:

Ecce in pictura est puella romana, nomine Cornelia.

Cornelia est laetae puella

laeta

laetae is like of/to the happy girl or a plural.

also spoiler alert but cornelia and her fam spend most of the year stuck in a ditch waiting for help while their bougie parents have an anxiety attack about entering a low brow rest stop. #ecceromani1thoughts

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Real hurthling! posted:

i took a seminar on incas for my professional development and a black lady in the group was using alien pyramid theory to advance her beliefs that the white race had stolen and covered up the interstellar legacy of ancient africa and south america.
it made the nat hist museum guys eyes bug out and i told her that i believed her so she felt better about getting shut down by another white gatekeeper

lmao nice, solidarity

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That's damning by faint praise if I ever saw it.

Yes and no. Reddit's so loving normal that it's weird. There's 0 gate keeping, but there's also a massive user base. It's like how 90% of any medium or genre is utter garbage and the rest is some degree of good or great, it's that in forum form. Or like how if a million monkeys are working keyboards, eventually one of them will type up a poo poo post about working at a motel and one of the regulars dildoing his rear end with a sauve bottle mounted on a bed spring.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/BillHolohanSolr/status/1177631604186996737

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/railroad-gauge-chariots/

uber_stoat has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Sep 28, 2019

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Roman war chariots in England, right :shuckyes:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the chariot was obsolete in war long before rome came to britannia and caesar thinks its extremely interesting that britannii still used them at the time of his invasion, devoting an entire chapter to describing them in motion and their general strategy on the field while comparing them to sporting chariots the Romans were more familiar with.
the chariot becomes useless as soon as you level up horse breeding enough cause a cavalry unit is much more agile and effective and deadly
the ruts would have been from military wagons, plaustri et al.
the spacing would certainly have been standardized though cause if you aint in the rut your wheels arent gonna last long

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

also because chariots are loving expensive compared to tack

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

i mean several incan emperors were named tupac so...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Real hurthling! posted:

the chariot was obsolete in war long before rome came to britannia and caesar thinks its extremely interesting that britannii still used them at the time of his invasion, devoting an entire chapter to describing them in motion and their general strategy on the field while comparing them to sporting chariots the Romans were more familiar with.
the chariot becomes useless as soon as you level up horse breeding enough cause a cavalry unit is much more agile and effective and deadly
the ruts would have been from military wagons, plaustri et al.
the spacing would certainly have been standardized though cause if you aint in the rut your wheels arent gonna last long

if the standard widths of the roads came from Roman military wagons why isn't the British rail gauge the same as the rest of ex-Roman Europe :thunk:

besides the fact the story is bullshit I mean

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

continental European railway gauge is based on the dimensions of napoleon's artillery caissons

this is true and i will not be taking questions, thank you

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I've been reading Pantheon by Hamish Steele and it's a lot of fun:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

this seems more appropriate for cspam:

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Plutonis posted:

I liked Umberto Eco's book Baudolino that gives an insane murder mystery explanation to why an experienced swimmer like Fred somehow died on such a lovely river

Sounds like it's something I'd like and other people have said it's good too. Thanks!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Plutonis posted:

I'm reading this now because of this thread.
Man I gotta tell you it oscillates wildly between "this is cool" and "this is the Hardy boys eating weed butter" (literally) levels of pap.

E: also the 'sex scene' is...ooh la la an open mouth kiss! It was almost too risque for me to handle.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Alhazred posted:

I've been reading Pantheon by Hamish Steele and it's a lot of fun:

Doctor Jeep posted:

Placing a hold on this at the library

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dalael posted:

Best place to ask would be the real ancient history thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

ive been meaning to ask actually this thread is great and all but cspams gimmick is just having better versions of threads in other forums and uh the ask tell rome thread seems fine so why does this one even exist

i guess it does have one flaw namely that every so often theres a derail about bizarre racist asian stereotypes and every time that happens i want to yell at everyone to shut the gently caress up korean people dont consider headlights to be bad luck and thats such a stupid idea i dont even have a clue where it could have come from let alone why anyone would repeat it but im still a few years behind so i cant

thats a pretty specific problem that only really applies to me though

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Doctor Jeep posted:

drat, the cumshitter mythos is going back further than I thought.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

So, the Cucuteni–Trypillia culture is cool and underrated I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucuteni%96Trypillia_culture

They were egalitarian Neolithic dudes in ~Ukraine that had maybe the biggest cities in the world for the time. The archaeological site at Maidanetske dates from 3700-3600 BC with population estimates of up to 46,000 inhabitants.

They were kinda the European version of Sumer but on the other side of Turkey/Catalhoyuk.

Ratios and Tendency has issued a correction as of 23:28 on Sep 29, 2019

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

So, the Cucuteni–Trypillia culture is cool and underrated I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucuteni%96Trypillia_culture

They were egalitarian Neolithic dudes in ~Ukraine that had maybe the biggest cities in the world for the time. The archaeological site at Maidanetske dates from 3700-3600 BC with population estimates of up to 46,000 inhabitants.

They were kinda the European version of Sumer but on the other side of Turkey/Catalhoyuk.

I think your link might be broken

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Dreddout posted:

I think your link might be broken

Edit - tried to repost a fixed link, it didn't work? A google search for Cucuteni–Trypillia culture brings up the article.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
An Abderite is dreaming that he is selling a pig and he is asking 100 denarii for it. Someone is offering 50 but he won’t take it. At that point, he wakes up. Then keeping his eyes shut, he holds out his hands and says ‘Oh well, OK, give me the 50’.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
lol

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
loving dipshit abderites

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I think Caligula had irony poisoning and used the horse to mock how bad the senators were but the dipshit historian senators wrote him straight, unaware that he was both “on one” and “doing a bit.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
This is correct imo