Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

SelenicMartian posted:

Have you found out which one was closer to the suspect and may have the key?

Okay ty.

I just died in a dialogue with no checks made. Hadn't saved for an hour. ouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Has anyone else played Kentucky Route Zero? It’s a similar game - main character is an alcoholic in a fantasy realism world, but without any RPG aspects.

I really enjoyed both, Disco Elysium has better writing but KRZ is also very good.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Roman Reigns posted:

Having said that... pretty sure the game is a smash hit at this point
I really hope that we'll see a lot of discolikes in the years to come.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

space uncle posted:

Has anyone else played Kentucky Route Zero? It’s a similar game - main character is an alcoholic in a fantasy realism world, but without any RPG aspects.

I really enjoyed both, Disco Elysium has better writing

debatable

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I'd say both are around the same level and there's no point in debating it because both are literary in spirit and amazing and what should more games should strive for.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

space uncle posted:

I really enjoyed both, Disco Elysium has better writing but KRZ is also very good.

i dunno about better but theyre very different genres that focus on poverty and working class people, krz follows the in southern gothic tradition whereas this is more neo noir

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is KRZ finished? I've always thought of it as one of those games that is stuck in episodic limbo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Is KRZ finished? I've always thought of it as one of those games that is stuck in episodic limbo

the final episode's been "in development" for like two years

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Broken Cog posted:

No, but it will probably be sooner rather than later.

The first four episodes are still one of the best games of all time though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Cheers, think I'm gonna hold out for the last episode to be released so I can do the whole thing in one go.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I bought route zero but not played it in years. I remember it being pretty good but not like totally amazing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
KR0 Act 4 might be the single most triumphant example of video game writing i've ever seen in the way the entire episode is bifurcated with each little scenario being presented in a unique way that would only be possible within its chosen medium, culminating with the Ramblers' performance of "This World Is Not My Home"

DE was amazing. nothing in it topped KR0 4 in my mind

i give it slack on its interminable development time because every episode took forever to come out and every one of them raised the bar to heights i didn't believe possible

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Internalizing thoughts doesn't actually open new dialog options, right? You can spout off fascist / communist / etc opinions just by having the thought available but not internalized?

Political ideology clothes (hustler shoes, moralist pants) - do they actually improve the benefits of an internalized thought when equipped? Do they provide said effects as a substitute for the internalized thought? (i.e, - you equip the hustler shoes and get +1 to Indirect Taxation. Does that mean that you get the benefits of having internalized IT, even if you haven't?)

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Al! posted:

i dunno about better but theyre very different genres that focus on poverty and working class people, krz follows the in southern gothic tradition whereas this is more neo noir

Yeah that’s a better way to put it. Disco Elysium is certainly funnier and obviously “gamey-er” for lack of a better word.

I think they would both appeal to similar people, so if anyone in this thread finishes DE and is still jonesing - go pick up KRZ.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Equipping the ideology clothes just seem to trigger the corresponding thought immediately instead of having to choose the correct dialogue options x amount of times first.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Is there a way to have a good understanding of what any given thought is going to actually do once you internalize it? Some of them I'd only internalize for roleplaying reasons but others just seem like random things, or I've just not noticed any actual rhyme or reason to them, and it takes a skillpoint to undo any of them.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Internalizing thoughts doesn't actually open new dialog options, right? You can spout off fascist / communist / etc opinions just by having the thought available but not internalized?

Political ideology clothes (hustler shoes, moralist pants) - do they actually improve the benefits of an internalized thought when equipped? Do they provide said effects as a substitute for the internalized thought? (i.e, - you equip the hustler shoes and get +1 to Indirect Taxation. Does that mean that you get the benefits of having internalized IT, even if you haven't?)

thoughts do gives new dialogue options

you may want to stop approaching thoughts like Pokémon with your quest to catch them all

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Was this made by the LISA guys or something? I'm not sure why they expected LISA.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Goddammit stop making me want to play more games, thread. I already have my hands full. :mad:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
That bit where he uses muscle memory to call the ex and the sad loving conversation that ensues. :cry:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

That bit where he uses muscle memory to call the ex and the sad loving conversation that ensues. :cry:

Should have listened to your inner voices.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Sooo I'm kinda sad I've finished this and I don't want to do another playthrough yet. Any suggestions for something else similarish? I think I've tried most old school rpgs at this point. Quite liked Torment tides so the game doesn't have to be great

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Broken Cog posted:

Should have listened to your inner voices.

Heavy into physical stats and they lead me down the wrong path sooooo many times. Electrochem suggests I do some drug in every other conversation.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Agent355 posted:

Was this made by the LISA guys or something? I'm not sure why they expected LISA.
You play as a washed up middle-aged shlub in both games and both games deal with the dangers of toxic masculinity, they have some similarities.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm about to end day 1 and I have a question about the mechanics - how long into the in-game night can I play? I know that almost every NPC will be gone by 2 am but I want to go exploring. Can I just not sleep at all or will I pass out in the street or something? Are there consequences for not sleeping enough?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Physical instrument will have you screaming about your big dick and whatnot at the worst times

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Palpek posted:

I'm about to end day 1 and I have a question about the mechanics - how long into the in-game night can I play? I know that almost every NPC will be gone by 2 am but I want to go exploring. Can I just not sleep at all or will I pass out in the street or something? Are there consequences for not sleeping enough?

There's not really thaaat much to explore. I think time stops progressing at 2 am so you might as well go bed when it gets that late.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I will also have to add LISA to the recs along with KRZ if you're looking for more games that are well-written and have similar vibes to Disco Elysium. LISA is a different game mechanics-wise as its more of a JPRG in design but it can be hilarious one moment and then soul-crushing the next. I would suggest just stick with the base game though, the follow-up expansion, The Joyful, wasn't nearly as good.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Have you all played Cart Life? It's not an RPG but it's an excellently written economic game that explores themes that no other game goes for (social isolation, poverty, fighting for your child against divorced spouse, growing old) but it can be really depressingly soul-crushing in ways that even DE doesn't reach. The author made the game free a few years after its release. It features pixelated graphics which may not be in everybody's taste but it's really worth giving it a chance.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You don't need to mess with cheat engine or anything to break the game, old fashioned save editing does the trick. The saves are in Appdata/Locallow under the studios name, saved as zip files. Open one up, take the .JSON file out, edit in notepad++ (skill points/stats is about line 1000), put JSON back in zip, and load save. Tada, one OP character.
Oh? What's the line called exactly? And the one for $$$?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

Sooo I'm kinda sad I've finished this and I don't want to do another playthrough yet. Any suggestions for something else similarish? I think I've tried most old school rpgs at this point. Quite liked Torment tides so the game doesn't have to be great

Have you played the Shadowrun games? Dragonfall and Hong Kong are amazing. You could also help out another promising new EE RPG dev and invest in Encased's Early Access.

In terms of stories with a somewhat similar feel, you could read some Warren Ellis. Transmetropolitan is great, Crooked Little Vein and Gun Machine are decent.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So how high do you have to rock your stats before they start unbalancing you? I've never had any higher then seven and not seen them force any bad decisions on me.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

which phone does that happen? the one in abandoned market?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Play Pathologic 2 y'all. We can't have a discussion about literary conceits in games and not bring that one up. It's extremely stressful to play so I know that means it's not for everyone, but the quality of the world and writing is wholly unique and the way its mechanics and narrative intertwine are unmatched. It's about spending twelve days in a hosed up town dying of plague.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Palpek posted:

Time stops progressing at 2 a.m. but there's also very little you can actually do at that hour. So you're required to sleep each night no matter what.

This is never a real problem except on the second day, if for some reason you manage not to have 20 real on that day.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I found Pathologic 2 too much of a poorly designed slog when I really wanted a version of Pathologic that wasn't that. Ice Pick can claim its their vision all they want, they just have always sucked at making decent game design.

Disco Elysium does a much better job about having themes around failure without you easily running into an unwinnable state twenty hours in.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 21, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really glad I had high Conceptualization, Inland Empire, and Shivers on my first run. All of those skills piped up with so many great passives that added so much flavor and atmosphere.

But my favorite part of those is that as far as I can tell, Inland Empire and Shivers don't lie to you. They can be cryptic, but they always seem to tell the truth. This applies even very early in the game, when, if you shoot down the corpse, he can tell you that (to paraphrase) love did him in, but communism pulled the trigger. And that's... actually kind of true. I like that, early on, it's easy to see Inland Empire and Shivers as "meaningful hallucinations" but the way things bear out I think they're definitely more on the side of "actual supernatural visions and perception" than hallucination.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Going to start playing this tonight. I usually read the negative reviews about a game to get a good feel for how it might be, and the negative reviews for this make me optimistic (they seem to frequently consist of people complaining about not being able to control failure and save-scumming, which implies that the negative reviews are from people who just expected a more traditional isometric RPG game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

frajaq posted:

which phone does that happen? the one in abandoned market?

Yeah the payphone at the base of the boardwalk. You first dial a few random numbers and then.... well.