Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Reznor/Ross doing a John Carpenter riff? Mix it as high as you want, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MaoistBanker posted:

the noose, the fact that bass reeves wore an outfit similar... and look at lou gosset's junior's wardrobe colors! the man is hooded justice! Very interested to see how they whitewash the first costumed vigilante being african american

Hooded Justice is white in the comic. You can see his skin through they eyeholes.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Hooded Justice is white in the comic. You can see his skin through they eyeholes.

It's LG Jr. Trust me. Episode 6 reveals his entire back story. And we get to see all the original Minutemen. But just take the existing evidence at face value. Purple and red clothing, nooses all around. Revenge motivation. There's plenty of whitewashing throughout American history. Why should the first costumed hero be any different?

Also - much like the novel, here's additional reading materials for you to read in between episodes!

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

Reasons for no internet / cellphones largely contained within. And a poo poo ton more! Strongly suggest you all read this. It really starts to color in the blanks between 1985 and 2019. After 1985 Laurie Blake becomes the Comedienne for a time. She, along with Dan Dreiberg, are arrested in 1995 for violating the Keene Act

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 21, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I just realized the servants probably aren't robots.

I think they're clones. More specifically of John Osterman and his fiancee. My crazy theory is that Veidt is trying to recreate the situation and environment leading up to John's accident and eventually the accident itself. Basically, Ozzy is attempting to create his own obedient Dr. Manhattan.

I'm basing all of this on the title of the five act play that he's writing. "The Watch Maker's Son."

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The show is going to be five seasons to fit with the five acts, book it

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I didn't realize Tim Blake Nelson was playing Looking Glass, mostly because I'm so familiar with him playing an absolute dope in things.

Is any website like A.V. Club or some comic site compiling the references made on the show that harken back to the book? My boyfriend has never read the book, so some stuff is going over his head.

I had to stop the episode several times to explain things like President Redford, space squid, and the Owlship.

I gave him my copy of the TPB a few months ago, but :effort:.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Was president Redford from the books or some kind of supplemental material? I don't remember that, I thought it was a show invention.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Colonel Whitey posted:

Was president Redford from the books or some kind of supplemental material? I don't remember that, I thought it was a show invention.

The very last page has the doughboy at the New Frontiersman asking his boss what he thinks about Redford potentially running.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Colonel Whitey posted:

You see in the ending of the novel a newspaper headline of "Robert Redford to run in '88?" so the show just ran with it. Looks like Ford wins in 88 and RR in 92.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Preston Waters posted:

I just realized the servants probably aren't robots.

I think they're clones. More specifically of John Osterman and his fiancee. My crazy theory is that Veidt is trying to recreate the situation and environment leading up to John's accident and eventually the accident itself. Basically, Ozzy is attempting to create his own obedient Dr. Manhattan.

I'm basing all of this on the title of the five act play that he's writing. "The Watch Maker's Son."

I don't know who they are, but I assumed they were some sort of genetics experiment too, sine comic book Ozymandias is already into that with his designer dogs or whatever they are.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Do you guys think the Soviet Union still exists? Ozymandias's whole plan was to stop the Cold War and it looks like it at least somewhat worked

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

it could very easily be retconned away as the fallibility of human memory (because the memory is from the eyes of Hollis Mason, an white guy, who would probably assume that anyone he doesn't explicitly know the race of is white)

it also helps that Hooded Justice's race is pretty much irrelevant in the graphic novel (especially if people had to go back and look at a sliver of skin shown in one panel and that was all the evidence they had), so if they are just saying "gently caress it we need an old man superhero and we're not gonna make a new one because we want that connective tissue" it's probably just fine. As for him being a nazi sympathizer, is that really so different from a black person being a cop?

edit: honestly it would not surprise me if LGJr was Hooded Justice and this gets lampshaded by Hooded Justice being white in American Hero Story

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

MaoistBanker posted:

You see in the ending of the novel a newspaper headline of "Robert Redford to run in '88?" so the show just ran with it. Looks like Ford wins in 88 and RR in 92.

I figured Nixon died in office sometime in 86-88 and Redford gets in in 88; someone said thirty years.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

MaoistBanker posted:

Until the show demonstrates otherwise, I'm choosing to believe that Ford was a loser in this universe just like in ours, and only became president because Nixon died (or resigned) and then went on to lose to Redford.

e: beat me to it

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 21, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Interesting and unexpected turn from the supplemental reading material

Silk Spectre changed her last name to Blake and her super hero name to the Comedianne

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The kids at the dinner table are reciting the presidents, and I believe they said Bush just before Redford. Which would mean Redford was elected when Clinton was in our timeline. I can't remember if they said Reagan though. Man, I need to watch the pilot again, so many details.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My only real complaint was I didn’t like how often they had people unmask themselves - especially when they were in Don Jons office. Other than that I hope there is some connective ties to the original Watchmen or references more so than what we got now. It really really reminds me of Twin Peaks season 3 where you have all these great interesting new stories and characters but you’re dieing to find out what happened to the original ones too!

5/5

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

it could very easily be retconned away as the fallibility of human memory (because the memory is from the eyes of Hollis Mason, an white guy, who would probably assume that anyone he doesn't explicitly know the race of is white)

it also helps that Hooded Justice's race is pretty much irrelevant in the graphic novel (especially if people had to go back and look at a sliver of skin shown in one panel and that was all the evidence they had), so if they are just saying "gently caress it we need an old man superhero and we're not gonna make a new one because we want that connective tissue" it's probably just fine. As for him being a nazi sympathizer, is that really so different from a black person being a cop?

edit: honestly it would not surprise me if LGJr was Hooded Justice and this gets lampshaded by Hooded Justice being white in American Hero Story

It's retconning the actual art of the comic and so there's no simple in universe cover.

But it's fine.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

massive spider posted:

Silk Spectre changed her last name to Blake and her super hero name to the Comedianne

And she and Dan spent a significant amount of time in prison after being arrested in 1995, I think Dan may still be in prison? Anyways, that might explain how law enforcement got specs on Archie

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Also another weird one, in Watchmen universe Elvis is alive and was found in Vietnam karaoke bar.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

It's retconning the actual art of the comic and so there's no simple in universe cover.

But it's fine.

This but opposite

Obviously.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

You can’t make a story about race in America and have police be the good guys. Not unless you’re stupid on the level of those game of thrones guys who tried to do the “what if the confederates won?” prestige show.

i feel like that’s an artifact of lindelofs lib brain, but that you aren’t even giving him enough credit. the “good guy cops” of this universe are also shown as an extension of a highly woke liberal authoritarian culture that’s had the hegemony of a hollywood actor as president for 30 years

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

It's hard to get Americans to root against cops torturing confessions out of terrorists.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So is watching the movie required before this? I've seen it, but many years ago.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Niwrad posted:

So is watching the movie required before this? I've seen it, but many years ago.

gently caress no. The movie is never required viewing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Niwrad posted:

No, but it probably helps to be familiar with the book. You could watch the movie instead if you want, but just change what happens at the end to a giant psychic squid.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Just finished first episode and have to say this is way easier to get into than Leftovers, it took a bit for that show to hit it's stride but I'm into this from the start.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

LadyPictureShow posted:

My boyfriend has never read the book, so some stuff is going over his head.
I've read the book and seen the movie and I still mostly have no idea what the gently caress. I feel like this show is specifically for people who are dangerously obsessed with the source material.

Empress Brosephine posted:

My only real complaint was I didn’t like how often they had people unmask themselves - especially when they were in Don Jons office.
That's TV and movies for you. They literally always do that even though it's incredibly dumb.

Ross DaouThot posted:

liberal authoritarian
:what:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

gently caress no. The movie is never required viewing.
The movie owns but I wouldn't watch as a primer for the show because the show clearly follows the book ending.

To be honest, you'll probably be alright watching this without the book to, it's just that you won't get any of the references that they're throwing at you but that's fine right now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The masks seem like just extensions of the cop masks. Unmasking in police HQ probably isn't a problem.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Essentially knowing the book will net you a couple of "oh heh" moments the show tosses in and might allow a level of prognostication beyond what someone who has not seen it knows.

But It's not required reading and stands alone fairly well.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Tiggum posted:

I've read the book and seen the movie and I still mostly have no idea what the gently caress. I feel like this show is specifically for people who are dangerously obsessed with the source material.

I forget where I read it, but I saw Lindelof saying something like he wanted (at least the first episode) to be watched by a person unfamiliar with the comic and a person who was an obsessive fan of the comic - and then have the unfamiliar person ask the fan, "Can you explain any of that?" and have the fan say, "Nope!" He wanted them both to not know where it was going. I think that's a good impulse.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tiggum posted:

My guess is that you understand as much as most folks in this thread do. There's no secret you're missing—this narrative is a mystery to most of us.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Soundtrack up for preorder
https://www.nin.com/watchmen-score-news/

Also, having Rorschach be a standin for any number of ideological figures and his diary be some sort of SIEGE analogue is going to be interesting to tackle over the season

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I talked to my mom who watched it last night and has no idea what the gently caress Watchmen is and she really liked it/had a lot of questions about the backstory.

DickStatkus
Oct 25, 2006

Concerning the boy becoming Hooded Justice; a black Hooded Justice being whitewashed runs parallel to Bass Reeves, the lawman in the film at the beginning, being whitewashed into The Lone Ranger irl. This is immediately reinforced by the staging of an all black Oklahoma play. To me this is a very interesting route to take concerning the neoliberal admiration of something like Hamilton where we applaud an all POC cast for performing a white story, which amounts to a modern minstrel show (If it was really subversive Mike Pence wouldn’t be trying to get a ticket). The suggestion that America’s future lies in a dystopian fascist state whether under a conservative or neoliberal regime is very tantalizing and I think if this show swerves the way it’s going to swerve it’s going to break brains from every political persuasion.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Going with the idea Veidt is manipulating racists to help him Make Dr. Manhattan American Again with whatever experiment hes cooking up to recreate him.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

massive spider posted:

Which I really don't get at all.

She loving HATED him, even if she understood it was her mother's choice to reconcile with him and have actual consensual sex and a baby. He didn't have a shred of anything she respected, from his violent ways to his near-rape of her mother. Maybe it'll be elaborated on later, but it really seems odd.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

AccountSupervisor posted:

Going with the idea Veidt is manipulating racists to help him Make Dr. Manhattan American Again with whatever experiment hes cooking up to recreate him.

in the comics sequel to Watchmen, Ozymandias is trying to use some science poo poo to force Dr. Manhattan to come back and fix everything. It would make sense if he were trying to do the same thing here with the watch batteries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

DickStatkus posted:

Concerning the boy becoming Hooded Justice; a black Hooded Justice being whitewashed runs parallel to Bass Reeves, the lawman in the film at the beginning, being whitewashed into The Lone Ranger irl. This is immediately reinforced by the staging of an all black Oklahoma play. To me this is a very interesting route to take concerning the neoliberal admiration of something like Hamilton where we applaud an all POC cast for performing a white story, which amounts to a modern minstrel show (If it was really subversive Mike Pence wouldn’t be trying to get a ticket). The suggestion that America’s future lies in a dystopian fascist state whether under a conservative or neoliberal regime is very tantalizing and I think if this show swerves the way it’s going to swerve it’s going to break brains from every political persuasion.

This is a good post, and it's where I want the show to go.