Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Deathshroud are mediocre but Blightlords fuckin whip. Also obligatory 'read the Goonhammer Death Guard article' plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
that article kicks rear end, but i am not looking to play competitively and don't wanna drop hundreds on forge world dreadnoughts.* i think i might pick up that blightlords kt box at my lgs cuz it's 4 bucks extra for some good scatter terrain and missions. that way i'll have 2 blightie squads for higher point games.

after that, my next purchase will likely be a second plagueburst, or i might see about loving around and cobbling together a daemon prince. thanks for the advice everyone, i love it

*i really do want to drop hundreds on fw dreads but i kinda can't afford to right now

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I'm actually starting to get to the point where I can start looking into another army now that my orks are getting into a playable state. Once I hit 2000 points painted and 90 boyz, I'll probably get to work on that. Based on the models I currently have, I'll probably go with either Death Guard, Space Wolves, or Blood Angels. Death Guard and Space Wolves from having stuff I bought to paint, Blood Angels because a co-worker gifted me her army about six or seven years ago and I recently unboxed it from storage.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Are undersized squads still legal, and what's the official ruling on them? I can't find it anywhere lmao

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Units have formation rules, ie a minimum size unit is this large and costs this much, and you can keep adding models until it reaches maximum size, increasing the cost.

Its in their datacards.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

I meant for units smaller than the minimum size on the rules entry

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Nah you need to start at a min squad.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
In GW's continued insistence on putting rules all over the place, it's actually in Chapter Approved, Page 47

So in essence you're paying a CP to have an understrength unit. Can't imagine when you'd want to do that but I know it was implemented because at launch people were trying to go around the rules by making squads of 1 guardsman to fill brigades up.

Edit: Also in the core rulebook FAQ, page 2:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/warhammer_40000_rulebook_en.pdf

quote:

Page 242 – Understrength Units
Change the second paragraph to read:
‘If you are using Power Ratings, you must still pay the
Power Rating cost as if you had a minimum-sized unit,
even though it contains fewer models. If you are using
points, you only pay the points for the models you
actually have in an understrength unit (and any wargear
they are equipped with). An understrength unit still
takes up the appropriate slot in a Detachment. If you are
playing a matched play game, you can only include an
understrength unit in an Auxiliary Support Detachment.’

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 22, 2019

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Why would Games Workshop bury that so far away from the main rules lmao how is anyone supposed to dig through all of that

Thanks!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

He's not wrong. Robert Jones seems like kind of a dick though.

Can confirm

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

If anything it's an understatement.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Groetgaffel posted:

I can't imagine the new exorcist looking much different.
It's one of the most distinct things in the sororitas armoury, and so far everything* we've seen has been kept very true to the old metal models, just more detailed and in a better material.

*Except for repentia, but that's a change for the better.

Apart from Repentia being dressed more conservatively, it looks like there no longer an option for the robed lady on the Penitent Engine. Doing a quick search, it saw a few off-hand comments that you'd still have an option between the two characters, but I can't find anything concrete.

I did actually ponder buying some of the old-school Repentia and Penitent Engine before they got removed, but then I realized that would mean working with metal models, and that sounds like a headache.

Ah, well. There's still eBay and third-party bit & model sellers when I decide to get if you want big-boobed, half-naked, bondage-clad nuns.

-

The reason why I was worried about the Exorcist was because I recall seeing a version that didn't have the pipe organ, but instead just a boring, old regular missile launcher. I don't know if that was an alternative option that came with the old kit, or if it was something custom-ordered, but it made me skeptical. I thought there would be a Battle Sister Bulletin on it today, but nothing was posted.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 22, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goose willis posted:

Why would Games Workshop bury that so far away from the main rules lmao how is anyone supposed to dig through all of that

Thanks!

Because the people trying to exploit it will be made aware. Its relevance to 99% of players is nil.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Max Wilco posted:

Apart from Repentia being dressed more conservatively, it looks like there no longer an option for the robed lady on the Penitent Engine. Doing a quick search, it saw a few off-hand comments that you'd still have an option between the two characters, but I can't find anything concrete.

I did actually ponder buying some of the old-school Repentia and Penitent Engine before they got removed, but then I realized that would mean working with metal models, and that sounds like a headache.

Ah, well. There's still eBay and third-party bit & model sellers when I decide to get if someone wants big-boobed, half-naked, bondage-clad nuns.

-

The reason why I was worried about the Exorcist was because I recall seeing a version that didn't have the pipe organ, but instead just a boring, old regular missile launcher. I don't know if that was an alternative option that came with the old kit, or if it was something custom-ordered, but it made me skeptical. I thought there would be a Battle Sister Bulletin on it today, but nothing was posted.
The penitent engine in the upcoming box they've shown off is going to be an easy to build variant.
The full kit, when it becomes available, will have pilot options, including a female one.

The exorcist you're thinking of is most likely the fairly common kitbash of putting a whirlwind launcher on a sisters rhino to not have to deal with the almost always warped huge block of pewter that is the pipe organ.
Also FW had an exorcist variant with two round rocket pods.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Groetgaffel posted:

The exorcist you're thinking of is most likely the fairly common kitbash of putting a whirlwind launcher on a sisters rhino to not have to deal with the almost always warped huge block of pewter that is the pipe organ.
Also FW had an exorcist variant with two round rocket pods.

The FW one you describe sounds sort of like what I saw. It could have been a Whirlwind launcher kitbash though. Didn't occur to me that it was done to avoid messing with the pewter, but that makes sense (I've not worked with metal models before, I'm hoping I don't have to anytime soon).

Groetgaffel posted:

The penitent engine in the upcoming box they've shown off is going to be an easy to build variant.
The full kit, when it becomes available, will have pilot options, including a female one.

Where did you hear that? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I couldn't find a mention on the Warhammer Community site, unless I just completely skimmed over it.

One complaint I have heard about the new Penitent Engine is that it looks more akin to a Killa Kan or a Deff Dread than it does the old version, in regards to its arms or general build.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 22, 2019

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

goose willis posted:

Thanks!

I have no idea but my understanding was that that rules exists so if a player just doesn’t have the models they can still wiggle in and play.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Groetgaffel posted:

Which is actually fairly ideal, in that the male pilot in the easy-to-build variant in the Sisters box is probably going to look different from the male pilot in the multipose kit (I mean, I imagine it would), and then there'll be a female pilot in the multipose kit, so there's your three variant pilots for the three engines you can field, if you want to field three.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

I have no idea but my understanding was that that rules exists so if a player just doesn’t have the models they can still wiggle in and play.

Yeah its more of a concession than anything. Sometimes people get an uneven grab bag of models in a flea market or something and this is supposed to give them a way to use those.

But when it was introduced it was quickly exploited to fill out cheap brigades so they had to keep errata-ing it until it was a waste of time. GW probably even forgot its a thing by now.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Max Wilco posted:

The FW one you describe sounds sort of like what I saw. It could have been a Whirlwind launcher kitbash though. Didn't occur to me that it was done to avoid messing with the pewter, but that makes sense (I've not worked with metal models before,

This is the FW exorcist:

It has the advantage of being easily dropped into a rhino with the top hatch piece (also fits on the immolator top crown) making it very convenient to swap around between the three if you don't glue them.

It has the crippling disadvantage of not being a giant baroque pipe organ.

It's OOP as far as I am aware, and while cheap recasts pop up on ebay pretty often the quality is such that you'd probably be better off converting a whirlwind

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Max Wilco posted:

Where did you hear that? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that I couldn't find a mention on the Warhammer Community site, unless I just completely skimmed over it.

One complaint I have heard about the new Penitent Engine is that it looks more akin to a Killa Kan or a Deff Dread than it does the old version, in regards to its arms or general build.

I honestly don't remember, sorry. So take it with a pinch of salt.

As for the design of the new one, I'm not passing final judgment until I see a 360 view. GW is remarkably consistent about always photographing new models from terrible angles.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

No amount of futzing around should stop you making a metal organ exorcist. It is the finest model ever conceived and exists only for the worthy to own and admire.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Max Wilco posted:

Somebody leaked pictures of the Sisters box contents; KiriothTV made a video about it. Not sure if the original leaked pics are still around anymore. But it's clearly one full-sized sprue and two duplicate half-sized sprues of easy-to-build monopose Sisters of Battle, like the Vanguard half of Shadowspear (plus a separate character sprue for the Canoness). The video doesn't have a closeup of the large sprue, so it's possible the Penitent Engine in the box is the multipose Penitent Engine to be sold later and the monopose stuff is just the Sisters.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Painting my Blood Angels with contrast, using wraith Bone as I love the red colour it makes.

Any advice to do follow up highlighting on the red armour, post initial contrast coat?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:wink:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
so...related question, does that mean that the vanguard marines that were just released are NOT just the vanguard sprues from shadowspear? As in; they're totally new?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

so...related question, does that mean that the vanguard marines that were just released are NOT just the vanguard sprues from shadowspear? As in; they're totally new?

Yeah Shadowspear stuff was monopose and had other units on the same sprue, while the new one is multipose and can build an alternate unit type.

There's a rumour that the two halves of the Shadowspear box will be soon released as separate Start Collecting: Vanguard / Daemonkin boxes. It would make sense as there's still a bunch of options & units in them that aren't yet available as multipose.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

xtothez posted:

Yeah Shadowspear stuff was monopose and had other units on the same sprue, while the new one is multipose and can build an alternate unit type.

There's a rumour that the two halves of the Shadowspear box will be soon released as separate Start Collecting: Vanguard / Daemonkin boxes. It would make sense as there's still a bunch of options & units in them that aren't yet available as multipose.

OH good to know, thank you, you saved me moneys!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

JBP posted:

No amount of futzing around should stop you making a metal organ exorcist. It is the finest model ever conceived and exists only for the worthy to own and admire.

I've been trying to assemble one since it was a new release, but I still love that thing.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Painting my Blood Angels with contrast, using wraith Bone as I love the red colour it makes.

Any advice to do follow up highlighting on the red armour, post initial contrast coat?

https://www.goonhammer.com/how-to-paint-everything-blood-angels/

Timely question if I ever heard one.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

OH good to know, thank you, you saved me moneys!

Note that the Start Collecting Vanguard box, if it exists, will probably not contain the Vanguard Captain or Librarian, as a) those are being sold separately, b) Start Collecting boxes typically only come with one HQ unit, and c) the monopose Shadowspear sprues incorporate a Vanguard Lieutenant that can serve as a SC box's HQ. On the other hand, there's no HQ incorporated into the monopose Shadowspear chaos marine sprues, and the Master of Possession is not being sold separately yet, so a hypothetical Start Collecting Chaos Space Marines box made out of the Daemonkin half of Shadowspear will have to contain a separate HQ unit which will... probably? ...be the Master of Possession (like Hvarl Icepelt from Tooth and Claw being in Start Collecting Primaris Space Wolves and not being sold on his own). Also note that if you can find a Shadowspear box at retail price it's still cheaper than two Start Collecting boxes would be, if you want both sides.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Here to lodge a complaint that Dante and Devastation of Baal are part of a soon to be trilogy and should be listed together in the Read More section.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
Tinfoil hat theory of the day: the fact that Suppressors weren't in the v2 codex wave of kits leads me to believe their multi-part kit will have additional weapon options, but will be held until like Q2 of next year when we get another pair of Codex supplements.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Makes sense from a logical perspective, those guns don't really do themselves any favors in armies that aren't Fists or Iron Hands, what with the guns being heavy 2.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Iron Hams

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I have three chaplain dreads, please send help

(To people that want to shoot them because that's not allowed)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I feel like I'm asking a lot of dumb questions. But do you guys feel 70 bucks is a fair offer for these?
https://imgur.com/a/vT3GeNT

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I’m looking at getting some blightlords and want to magnetise the guns so I can swap them around. Does magnets in the wrists/bolter hands sound feasible, and what size/strength magnets would be good for that?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

BaronVanAwesome posted:

drat, I own one and feel extremely cool, imagine 3 :allears:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm playing a game with a guy that loves his chaplain dread so I'm going to take Oppressor's End and try to stab it to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Prepare the doomsday cannon!