Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Guest2553 posted:

I gotta say, GGGC's 'amortization' quip set the high water mark. The original leaky pun's been thrown out so much it just crashes on the rocks.

Agreed, it was changed far too quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Dillbag posted:

The secret is to have a rich brother that will let you park your sailboat on his lawn so you can sleep in it and grow your beautiful mustache while you both solve crimes as odd-couple private detectives.

I'm pretty sure the best move is to buy a boat in Arizona and park it in the driveway of the woman you were fawning over in the early 90's before you really made it.

Just, lock the doors so her teenage daughter doesn't try to sneak in and seduce you.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The lack of attachment. You can unmoor yourself and all your belongings at a moment's notice. Maybe you even hop from port to port, experiencing the world from the comfort of your own home.

Good luck paying for boat maintenance once you've sailed away from your job!

Most houseboats are just floating platforms that have a house built on top and a bilge pump in the basement. Sometimes they have a tiny outboard motor so they're legally a boat instead of a barge.

Moving one takes a tugboat and weeks of planning.

The "romance" of a houseboat usually involves dodging property taxes, and trading a huge obvious land purchase cost for a ton of non-obvious maintenance nightmare money pit costs.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I'm pretty sure the best move is to buy a boat in Arizona and park it in the driveway of the woman you were fawning over in the early 90's before you really made it.

Just, lock the doors so her teenage daughter doesn't try to sneak in and seduce you.
I thought it was New Mexico.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Lol if you think she was trying to seduce him and it wasn't him trying to relive his youth and get a different outcome than what happened last time.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

"Agister's lien" isn't a phrase you hear much these days

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/i-cant-carry-you-any-more-rodriguez-looks-to-sell-zayat-horses-over-unpaid-bills/

quote:

Zayat Stables, which won an Eclipse Award as outstanding owner in 2015 after American Pharoah became the first horse in history to win the Triple Crown and Breeders' Cup Classic, allegedly owes New York-based trainer Rudy Rodriguez more than $600,000 in unpaid training bills, supplies and services.

Rodriguez filed an agister's lien on two Zayat Stables Thoroughbreds he is currently training and posted a legal notice in Friday's Daily Racing Form that the two horses – stakes winners Lezendary and Majid – would be auctioned off in a foreclosure sale at Belmont Park on Nov. 1 at 10:30 a.m. Eliot Millman Auctioneers has been named to handle the sale.

The notice claims the amount due through Aug. 31, 2019, is $623,967.19, plus additional charges from Sept. 1 until the date of the sale.

Justin Zayat, son of stable founder Ahmed Zayat and manager of the stable, told Daily Racing Form an agreement between the two parties had been reached, but Drew Mollica, attorney for Rodriguez, would not comment other than to say “we have been in contact” with the Zayats in an effort to resolve the matter.

Zayat Stables has won more than $57 million since being formed in 2005and has twice been America's leading money winner, in 2008 and again in 2015, when Bob Baffert-trained American Pharoah helped push the stable over $10 million in purses won.

The Triple Crown winner, whose breeding rights were sold to Coolmore early in his 3-year-old season, was Zayat Stables' last graded stakes winner according to Equibase (Zayat has campaigned G3 winner Ezmosh in partnership). American Pharoah, with four stakes winners from his first crop, is in a battle with WinStar Farm's Constitution for leading freshman sire.

Since 2015, according to Bloodhorse.com, Zayat Stables has spent more than $25 million on 111 weanlings, yearlings and 2-year-olds (some of which were later re-sold), but stable earnings averaged just $2.2 million from 2016-'18 and are at $1.2 million in 2019, with 29 wins from 160 starts.

In addition to Rodriguez, Zayat Stables currently has horses with Steve Asmussen, Richard Baltas, Brad Cox, Robertino Diodoro, D. Wayne Lukas, Jorge Navarro and Todd Pletcher.

Lezendary, a 4-year-old filly by Zensational, won the Cicada Stakes in March 2018, and is 2-for-13 lifetime. Majid put together a four-race winning streak earlier this year, culminating with a victory in the Easy Goer Stakes in June.

“He's a wealthy man. I'm a working guy,” Rodriguez said. “It costs me a lot to run the stable, with salaries and workers' compensation. Whenever I talk to him, he says he's going to pay, he's going to pay. I told him, 'I can't carry you any more
The Zayats are well-known deadbeat owners. Bob Baffert quit working for Zayat Stables following American Pharoah's retirement because they weren't paying their bills to him.

From the comments (the names in parantheses are the sires of the horses)

quote:

At the 2015 Keeneland September yearling sales, Zayat bought the following:

Pollock (Tapit) 500K earned 46K
Delta Force (To Honor and Serve) 150K earned 9K
Shlee (Lemon Drop Kid) 210K earned 2K
Markitoff (Giant's Causeway) 160K earned 269K
Czarina (Bernardini) 1.5M earned 21K
Take Notice (Speightstown) 350K earned 73K
Silberado (Arch) 575K earned 27K
Factorial (The Factor) 600K earned 74K
Run Blondie Run (Cape Blanco) 160K earned 86K
Bankroll Ben (Mizzen Mast) 130K earned 35K
Compagno (Gio Ponti) 45K earned 119K
Dangerfield (Into Mischief) 450K (in partnership) earned 239K
Deal Driven (Into Mischief) 85k earned 295K but almost all of it after being claimed from Zayat for 15K

In a sport filled with BWM these guys are the Worst With Money.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
*busts into the thread*

Did anyone say "the implication" yet?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Since these are all stupidly rich guys I assume that they're losing on these for big tax scams while having their hand in some other pocket to make up for it.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

BUG JUG posted:

Lol if you think she was trying to seduce him and it wasn't him trying to relive his youth and get a different outcome than what happened last time.

You're getting awfully specific :ironicat:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

You're getting awfully specific :ironicat:

On the other hand, it’s BoJack and it is entirely in line with his character.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

crazypeltast52 posted:

On the other hand, it’s BoJack and it is entirely in line with his character.

Oh good, I was completely lost and didn't know if we were doing a thread reference or entertainment reference.

Unrelated: Friday morning I listened to two children in my math class (I am an old returning to college) talking about trading crypto. One of them took the most earnest tone and told his friend, "so I think like the best strategy is if you buy it when it's cheap, then don't sell it until it goes up a bunch," to which the other responded, "huh, that does sound like a good plan."

I'm just sad I won't be in the same class with them come tax time when they find out about short term cap gains via their parents' returns getting rejected/refunds kept. Buy that dip, kiddos!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Lol yes that will be the problem with their bitcoin investment

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

BonerGhost posted:

Oh good, I was completely lost and didn't know if we were doing a thread reference or entertainment reference.

Unrelated: Friday morning I listened to two children in my math class (I am an old returning to college) talking about trading crypto. One of them took the most earnest tone and told his friend, "so I think like the best strategy is if you buy it when it's cheap, then don't sell it until it goes up a bunch," to which the other responded, "huh, that does sound like a good plan."

I'm just sad I won't be in the same class with them come tax time when they find out about short term cap gains via their parents' returns getting rejected/refunds kept. Buy that dip, kiddos!

Please, please, please mutter Buy Low Sell High from schoolhouse rock at them, then dazzle them when you spontaneously burst into inspired song

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Guest2553 posted:

I gotta say, GGGC's 'amortization' quip set the high water mark. The original leaky pun's been thrown out so much it just crashes on the rocks.

can you remind me why that post was funny? (not just a link to it, I did find it)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

can you remind me why that post was funny? (not just a link to it, I did find it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUafzOXHPE

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

TraderStav posted:

Since these are all stupidly rich guys I assume that they're losing on these for big tax scams while having their hand in some other pocket to make up for it.

There are some very wealthy people who have exotic 4D chess tax scam investments that might look silly at first glance.

There are also a lot more very wealthy people who are just incredibly stupid with their money, but they stay insulated from any possible consequences because of their massive wealth.

Without any more context - the second one is way more likely. Having tons of money doesn't make you good with money.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ahh okay something I haven't seen. Thanks, I actually really appreciate it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Lol yes that will be the problem with their bitcoin investment

"Bitcoin is a lovely investment" is a given around here, dude.

E: vvv fair enough, I haven't been watching it

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 21, 2019

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I just meant in the sense that they probably won't even get the chance to generate taxable gains given Bitcoin's track record lately

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Hey who wants some structuring with a side of mortgage fraud?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/dly7ln/loan_officer_told_my_gf_to_structure_payments_of/

quote:

Loan officer told my gf to structure payments of $4,800 a day to her and mine accounts so we wouldnt need to show funding source (self.personalfinance)

submitted an hour ago * by dicksrelated

As the title says our LO has told us if we do this they wont need to show the funding source for our cash to close. This started due to her father investing her money through his personal investment business. We had discussed that sas where a large portion of the funds would be coming from and the loan officer was comfortable with it. That is untill we provided funding statements. We were told that because it was from a business account and not a personal account we couldnt use the funds unless we structured those payments

This seems illegal to me. Any suggestions on how to proceed? We cant afford the house we are closing on in mid Nov without these funds.

This was all on the phone and she normally emaild us. Located in NY.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 23, 2019

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Sometimes outsourcing is BWM

The Guardian posted:

A court in southern China has sentenced six men to prison for attempted murder in a hit job that was botched after being subcontracted several times.

According to the Nanning Intermediate People’s Court in Guangxi, in the autumn of 2013 a real estate businessman by the name Qin Youhui hired someone to take out a businessman surnamed Wei, who was suing Qin. But the hitman kept half of the 2m yuan ($280,000) Qin paid and outsourced the job, offering a new assailant the other half. The job was then contracted out three more times until a fifth man by the name of Ling Xinsi was offered 100,000 yuan ($14,000) to carry out the crime.

In 2014, almost half a year after the original job was commissioned, Ling left Wei a note asking to meet in Nanning. The two met at a coffee shop and Ling told Wei: “For just 100,000 yuan, I don’t want to kill you, but you have to cooperate with me.” Ling and Wei staged his death, with photos of Wei tied up sent up the chain of command. Ling left the phone he used with Wei, who disappeared for about 10 days and then returned and reported the case to the police.

The Nanning Intermediate People’s Court in Guangxi said in a post on its Wechat account on 17 October that the six defendants “deliberately deprived others of their lives, and their actions constitute the crime of intentional homicide.”

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I think Ling ended up not being charged, right? Good deal..

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Yep. Someone left out part of the article and a link.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/22/the-five-reluctant-hitmen-of-china-group-jailed-over-botched-contract-killing

quote:

The defendants, excluding Ling who had not been charged at the time, were previously cleared in 2016 after a court excluded evidence on the basis of police misconduct.

The rare acquittal in a court system where the conviction rate is 99% was hailed by some legal experts as a sign of progress in the criminal justice system.

Prosecutors later appealed the case and all six men, Qin and the five hired hitmen, have been sentenced to between two years and seven months to five years in prison.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting when I read the post title, but it wasn't this.

https://old.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/dm2hw7/i_45m_had_an_affair_and_my_wife_42f_forgave_me_on/

quote:

I [45M] had an affair and my wife [42F] forgave me on certain conditions. I can’t keep up with the conditions anymore

First of all I completely own that having an affair (brief and purely sexual) was wrong. I confessed it to my wife last year. My wife wanted to stay with me but was understandably worried that she would never trust me again. I suggested that she sleep with someone else- just once, like I did (no strings attached) so we would be “even.” (I’m aware this sounds stupid but I couldn’t come up with anything else.) My wife was not interested in this option but she said she might be able to trust me again if the next year was “all about her.” Foolishly, I agreed.

So the next thing you need to know is that my wife is really into Disney. When our kids were little (both girls) it seemed like she enjoyed it for their sake but they are in college and my wife is still very interested in Disney. Since the beginning of my wife’s “year” we have been to Disneyland exactly 9 times and it’s only been 7 months. We live in California so it’s an easy trip to make but financially and mentally exhausting. We have done without fail the exact same activities at Disneyland every time we go.

My wife has also asked me to watch Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, and Mulan, every week. All three, every week. Last week I asked for a change of pace and we watched Pocahontas 2, which sucked. She has also spent a great deal of money on Disney cosplay and made me attend a few conventions with her dressed as Gaston and Olaf.

Her latest request is that we both dress as Ariel and Prince Eric for a seafood dinner on a boat that I’ve been wanting to take her on. It’s going to be absolutely humiliating- this is a very upscale restaurant and not meant to be a costume party.

Oh, Halloween is coming up and she’s demanding I dress as the Beast from Beauty and the Beast and the costume alone cost us $800 to make. Also, the Frozen soundtrack plays in our house every day.

I feel like if I put my foot down, it’s another betrayal. But I don’t know if I can do this for another 5 months. Would I be horrible if I said I can’t do this anymore and just suggested couples therapy?

TLDR: wife wants me to do constant Disney stuff to pay for my affair

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Droo posted:

I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting when I read the post title, but it wasn't this.

https://old.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/dm2hw7/i_45m_had_an_affair_and_my_wife_42f_forgave_me_on/

No wonder he's loving around on her, he's married to a child.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Droo posted:

Good news: Frozen 2 is coming out soon!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I saw someone driving Lyft in a Saab yesterday, there's no way they're making enough money to make up for keeping that thing running

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Droo posted:

Wow agreed, not what I was expecting. I assume everything in Reddit is fake, but it was still a fun read. They are both the victim and should :sever:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Another reason everyone should learn how to cook

Mantle
May 15, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Another reason everyone should learn how to cook

This guy is non ironically awesome

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mantle posted:

This guy is non ironically awesome

Whole lot of crappy local places are doing the same with Sysco frozen foods and gross chains like Olive Garden and Cheesecake Factory are doing the same.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I was just in a place yesterday whose "kitchen" was just a microwave with cook times printed on it (60 seconds for a Hot Dog, 30 seconds for a Pretzel, etc). To be fair, it was an ice cream shop, but still.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Elysium posted:

I was just in a place yesterday whose "kitchen" was just a microwave with cook times printed on it (60 seconds for a Hot Dog, 30 seconds for a Pretzel, etc). To be fair, it was an ice cream shop, but still.

A lot of bars have this set up too. If I recall correctly it had to do with being required to serve food as part of your classification for the liquor license.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
^^^ my neighborhood bar had a flat top in full view of the bar on which they made all their food. Best burgers in town.

canyoneer posted:

Whole lot of crappy local places are doing the same with Sysco frozen foods and gross chains like Olive Garden and Cheesecake Factory are doing the same.

There's a place here in Detroit metro called "Uptown Grill" that has a gigantic menu. Every kind of food you can imagine, seems like. People seem to love that place but it is so, so poo poo.

Similarly, there's a place near where I live and when I ordered food, it was hot outside and cold in the middle, just like it came out of the microwave. I feel bad because they were really nice to me when I went in for some drinks while I was waiting to see if the pipes in my newly-bought house had burst (they had) but they're loving kidding with the prices they charge and microwaved plates and their literal bags of parboiled rice on the shelf. Not naming names because they were nice to me but I haven't been back since.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

Droo posted:

BWM 2019: wife wants me to do constant Disney stuff to pay for my affair

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'll take the divorce any day over that crap.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Someone should start a business that just sells these frozen Sysco products for home use.
Wait... this is just M&M Food Market isn't it

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

^^^ my neighborhood bar had a flat top in full view of the bar on which they made all their food. Best burgers in town.

There's a place here in Detroit metro called "Uptown Grill" that has a gigantic menu. Every kind of food you can imagine, seems like. People seem to love that place but it is so, so poo poo.

Similarly, there's a place near where I live and when I ordered food, it was hot outside and cold in the middle, just like it came out of the microwave. I feel bad because they were really nice to me when I went in for some drinks while I was waiting to see if the pipes in my newly-bought house had burst (they had) but they're loving kidding with the prices they charge and microwaved plates and their literal bags of parboiled rice on the shelf. Not naming names because they were nice to me but I haven't been back since.

What's up SW Oakland County buddy :hfive: (South Lyon)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BMan posted:

Someone should start a business that just sells these frozen Sysco products for home use.
Wait... this is just M&M Food Market isn't it

Or Schwan's, if they're still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

TraderStav posted:

What's up SW Oakland County buddy :hfive: (South Lyon)

I'm about 12 minutes from you right now (work in Novi, basically).

But I bought a house out east instead for probably 2x the price if I had bought in South Lyon or that area. Would be closer to work, too. <--- content