Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I honestly haven't found a reason to care about these guys, and this page has not given me one yet.

poo poo or get off the evil scheming pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I've been reading from the beginning and I just got past their last appearance in A.D. 2013. The re-appearance is quite different this way than if I had previously seen them back then.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
So what they say they want is "destructive, unnecessary conflict".

Now that we've seen the order's highest goal is peaceful dialog with redcloak, there's a way for that desire to actively conflict with the protagonists' desires.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I know it's a comic but crows can't fly in place.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

ikanreed posted:

There's a feat for that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SlothfulCobra posted:

I honestly haven't found a reason to care about these guys,

I mean the crux of V's entire character growth rests entirely on them and they can affect V in an enormous way narrative and character-wise, but sure, theres no reason to care about them if you ignore all that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ikanreed posted:

What if it's on a conveyor belt?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Poor sparkly boys. :ohdear:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Okay, so the fiends having been totally on board with the gods ending the world surprised me on first read, since it seems so opposed to their stated goals, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. It seems like getting the planet wiped would hurt them, since it ends all conflict basically by definition and Hela would have gotten an order of magnitude more souls than anyone else, enough to overwhelm the rest of the Nothern pantheon, and she's not part of their little club.

However, I can see how resetting everyone's efforts to square one and getting a fresh influx of souls into their various underworlds could count as a win towards their stated goals of stalling everyone out while they build up an overwhelming force advantage, and I suppose they might count Hela getting a huge army as a win, since her taking over the North would certainly mess things up for the forces of Good, and since they can't get dwarf souls no matter what in this incarnation of reality, they could very well be writing them off as an unavoidable loss, especially since those souls also aren't going to any Good-aligned afterlives either.

So yeah, I think the fiends are still what they've always said they are, just a bit more ruthless than I was crediting them for.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ikanreed posted:

It's because he can talk, his voice keeps him suspended in the air. The wings are just for emoting.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ikanreed posted:

Right but he's a raven

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

fool_of_sound posted:

Right but he's a raven

Oh yes. How silly of me.

Has rich ever done a Poe reference or is he above that?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ikanreed posted:

Oh yes. How silly of me.

Just once, it bombed and he swore, "nevermore".

:v:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

PMush Perfect posted:

It's because he can talk, his voice keeps him suspended in the air. The wings are just for emoting.

It's actually just game mechanics; you can only make a move action during your own turn unless you have some sort of special ability or feat that triggers out of turn movement. However, you can speak as a free action even during someone else's turn. So the familiar was flying in his previous turn, and remains where he ended his flying movement until the start of his next turn, but he can continue to speak while initiative passes to others.

The real question is, why are they in combat rounds? :ohdear:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm pretty sure crows and ravens can both hover? Birds of prey and hummingbirds are both particularly good at at it but a lot of birds can fly in place for a while.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Blackwing is actually taking full movement actions per turn to fly in a circle and each panel coincidentally has him in the same place.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Blackwing just keeps delaying his turn every round.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ikanreed posted:

So what they say they want is "destructive, unnecessary conflict".

Now that we've seen the order's highest goal is peaceful dialog with redcloak, there's a way for that desire to actively conflict with the protagonists' desires.

Is that their real goal, or just what they said it was? Sounds like they want the world to end.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sebmojo posted:

Is that their real goal, or just what they said it was? Sounds like they want the world to end.

You really think someone would do that, just go to the plane of evil and tell lies?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Knowing what we now know about colors makes me reevaluate those things.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ikanreed posted:

Book 5 has a bonus comic about how V met Blackwing and it’s a full parody poem and actually pretty cute.

sebmojo posted:

The main reason they hang out with Qarr is so there’s a character to whom they can exposit without having a reason to lie. Anything they say to him is meant to be taken at face value.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

sebmojo posted:

Soooo, the IFCC *do* know about the Snarl, but I'm guessing they *don't* know about the gods' overarching plans to contain it. So are they in league with the Dark One? Or their own agenda? No doubt they have their own plans, but maybe their plans align with The Dark One's. Any guesses?

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
My only thought is that the moment the Order is just about to convince Redcloak is when they take over V. A fireball tends to quickly end negotiations with someone who's whole deal was their God got betrayed and killed during negotiations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They don't get to take over V's body, just take V out of it and leave them inactive for the duration of their time. (At least, assuming that wasn't a lie.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Also, Roy knows about the risks involved with V's deal.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gynovore posted:

Soooo, the IFCC *do* know about the Snarl, but I'm guessing they *don't* know about the gods' overarching plans to contain it.
A reminder that the IFCC has communicated with Tiamat... who is specifically shown defending the Dark One, and knowing about his new color. So, either the IFCC does know, or Tiamat is actually outmaneuvering them in her own way.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Soooo, the IFCC *do* know about the Snarl, but I'm guessing they *don't* know about the gods' overarching plans to contain it. So are they in league with the Dark One? Or their own agenda? No doubt they have their own plans, but maybe their plans align with The Dark One's. Any guesses?

I doubt the Dark One's intentions align with Hel's - the reason this had such high stakes for Thor and co is that ending this world would likely end the Dark One and his unique quiddity.

It looks like they're trying to end the world. If Hel's plan had succeeded it would apparently have done their job for them. This is an interestingly high level of knowledge that they're showing - aren't the usual denizens of the outer planes supposed to have their memories of previous worlds wiped, or otherwise not aware of how many times the gods have done this? But they clearly expect something to follow from the end of the world, something that would allow Evil to prosper. If they were listening in on the Godsmoot then they likely would have picked that up.
They don't seem like they'd be satisfied with merely "one evil god is going to be stronger next world" as the final culmination of their plot, so they would either have all their wheels in motion before losing their memories in the rebuild, or there's something going on that they're aware of that even the gods aren't, or they have a plan to avoid the gods' purge of the outer realms. Whatever it is, I suspect it has something to do with setting up the base conditions of the next world.

On a different note, is this the first time the fiends have been shown to have red skin? I think they last appeared before hands started getting coloured in.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 22, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CapnAndy posted:

So yeah, I think the fiends are still what they've always said they are, just a bit more ruthless than I was crediting them for.

Nobody ever went broke overestimating the ruthlessness of various incarnations of evil, you know.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The Oracle also knows a lot too, who gets it from Tiamat.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

PMush Perfect posted:

A reminder that the IFCC has communicated with Tiamat... who is specifically shown defending the Dark One, and knowing about his new color. So, either the IFCC does know, or Tiamat is actually outmaneuvering them in her own way.

My previous thought was that they were working with Tiamat to effect the apotheosis of another unsponsored god, which would jive with their goal of "destructive, unnecessary conflict" as those were the conditions that led to The Dark One. If said god were evil, owed their allegiance to Tiamat, and could squeeze concessions out of the other pantheons in exchange for locking up the Snarl for good, it'd be a huge get for the forces of evil.

Though rooting for Hel to succeed kinda goes against that. I'm not sure what end they could be working towards, assuming they have all the plot threads we do and nobody is planning any fuckery with the whole tabula rasa of creating the next world.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Tenebrais posted:

This is an interestingly high level of knowledge that they're showing - aren't the usual denizens of the outer planes supposed to have their memories of previous worlds wiped, or otherwise not aware of how many times the gods have done this? But they clearly expect something to follow from the end of the world, something that would allow Evil to prosper. If they were listening in on the Godsmoot then they likely would have picked that up.

The fiends only learned about all this shortly before they showed up. Nale found out about it when he was disguised as Elan in Azure City, he told Sabine, Sabine told the IFCC. (Which means that the Order knows more about it than the fiends do, since the Order has the benefit of Durkon's conversation with Thor.)

Tenebrais posted:

They don't seem like they'd be satisfied with merely "one evil god is going to be stronger next world" as the final culmination of their plot, so they would either have all their wheels in motion before losing their memories in the rebuild, or there's something going on that they're aware of that even the gods aren't, or they have a plan to avoid the gods' purge of the outer realms. Whatever it is, I suspect it has something to do with setting up the base conditions of the next world.

I think this is what it is. If they make their move now, they have the benefit of knowledge about the true nature of the world but nothing else. But if they can maneuver the world into getting destroyed while retaining their memories, they'll have centuries to build up power and resources in order to make a big push towards the end of the next world. The fiends are immortal - they can afford to be really long-term in their thinking.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

PMush Perfect posted:

That very panel states that their goal is nothing more than continued conflict. One wonders if that's all.

Still, the big question is whether they're exempt from the end-of-the-world mindwipe. They're outsiders, so one would suspect no, but I'm not sure.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gynovore posted:

That very panel states that their goal is nothing more than continued conflict.

Note that TDO represents the greatest hope to ending the longest running conflict in the multiverse.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Schwarzwald posted:

Note that TDO represents the greatest hope to ending the longest running conflict in the multiverse.

If the multiverse ends, there's no more conflict. Saving the world seems like it'd lead to higher net strife in the long run.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Destructive unnecessary conflict is what produced the snarl in the first place...

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

sebmojo posted:

Destructive unnecessary conflict is what produced the snarl in the first place...

So the Chaotic Evil one backstabs the other two at the very last minute and reveals that his plan was to create a second Snarl for shits and giggles, then?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Every time I've tried to outguess rich I've got it totally wrong, I'm just putting a stake in the ground in case this is the end of my streak

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I mean there's a million and one things that they could be up to, they might be baiting the gods into remaking the universe, they could have some exploit ready to ascend or otherwise take advantage over the new universe. Maybe they want to create another snarl. Maybe they want to try bargaining with the Snarl to gain power. Maybe they have influences over how the gods will rebuild the universe next time. Maybe they crafted some reserve universe in their basement that can grow if the universe gets taken apart. Maybe they're going to steal a bunch of souls during the next sorting. Maybe they've somehow been leeching power off of successive universes. Maybe the Snarl ordered a pizza five universes ago and they're trying really hard to deliver that order. Maybe they're trying to end the cycle on their own terms in order to gain massive leverage over the current universe. Maybe one of them dropped their wallet when this universe was being made and really needs to get it back. But I'm not the one supposed to be writing any of this,

We only have it on their word that they're really bad dudes and we sure won't like whatever thing they have up their sleeve you betcha. In the absence of any kind of stakes, development, or clarity, they just don't seem to have much going on. They helped V do some bad things that he mostly wanted to do at the time out of being a big jerk, and it would sure make things convenient for him to be able to redeem himself if they were doing some big horrible conspiracy, but it'd almost be better if Vaarsuvius didn't have a clear avenue of repentance and had to find a new way and discover more of how not to be a jerk.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s definitely got to be something involving the gates, considering they were willing to burn one of their three “time-outs” in order to keep V from warning the others about destroying the second-to-last one. Beyond that, all we’ve got is speculation as this hits the end-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SlothfulCobra posted:

I mean there's a million and one things that they could be up to, they might be baiting the gods into remaking the universe, they could have some exploit ready to ascend or otherwise take advantage over the new universe. Maybe they want to create another snarl. Maybe they want to try bargaining with the Snarl to gain power. Maybe they have influences over how the gods will rebuild the universe next time. Maybe they crafted some reserve universe in their basement that can grow if the universe gets taken apart. Maybe they're going to steal a bunch of souls during the next sorting. Maybe they've somehow been leeching power off of successive universes. Maybe the Snarl ordered a pizza five universes ago and they're trying really hard to deliver that order. Maybe they're trying to end the cycle on their own terms in order to gain massive leverage over the current universe. Maybe one of them dropped their wallet when this universe was being made and really needs to get it back. But I'm not the one supposed to be writing any of this,

We only have it on their word that they're really bad dudes and we sure won't like whatever thing they have up their sleeve you betcha. In the absence of any kind of stakes, development, or clarity, they just don't seem to have much going on. They helped V do some bad things that he mostly wanted to do at the time out of being a big jerk, and it would sure make things convenient for him to be able to redeem himself if they were doing some big horrible conspiracy, but it'd almost be better if Vaarsuvius didn't have a clear avenue of repentance and had to find a new way and discover more of how not to be a jerk.

I presume they're going to be pivotal in the next book, since that's what they say. I agree they've been treading water a bit after facilitating the (excellent) evil V plot back in the 00's.