Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm pretty sure Maya looks a lot different now than back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Darth Walrus posted:

You can also interpret Maya's pose as taking a swing at her.

She is swinging out. And Allison is holding the same flame blade.

The demiurges all have their hands up towards Allison to ward her off. Maya is on team A is my hypothesis.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Her name is "Murder the Gods and Topple their Thrones" so I don't think it's a stretch to read her as not being on team gods.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Her name is "Murder the Gods and Topple their Thrones" so I don't think it's a stretch to read her as not being on team gods.

That does also seem like a pretty good reason to go after the heir to the multiverse as well, though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Zoss, Cio, and White Chain form a triangle around The Successor™. This is clearly explained by the prophecy text on the very same panel: the old king (that's Zoss) shall choose a new (that's why he's holding The Successor™), and the new king shall be flanked by a white and a black flame (that's White Chain and Cio).

The Demiurges are arrayed in two groups of four, for symmetry. Jagganoth and Maya are both put separate from the other three demiurges on their side to show that they're, literally, not on the same line. The Mottom-SolDave-Jadis and Mammon-Inky-Gog groupings are probably not really consequential, but perhaps there is something to it given how we currently have direct conflicts between Mottom and Mammon on the one hand, and Solomon Dave and Gog-Agog on the other. A conflict between Jadis and Incubus would be interesting, given how both of them are passive in the physical world and only act through their followers.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Cat Mattress posted:

Zoss, Cio, and White Chain form a triangle around The Successor™. This is clearly explained by the prophecy text on the very same panel: the old king (that's Zoss) shall choose a new (that's why he's holding The Successor™), and the new king shall be flanked by a white and a black flame (that's White Chain and Cio).
Yeah, I always thought this much was clear.

Bilirubin posted:

Maya is on team A is my hypothesis.
I also figured Maya was on Allison's "team", but I'm not sure I read it that way any more.

It looks more to me that the bottom row means to preserve the current celestial order, while the top row are those who would seek to destroy it. I don't mean that Allison, Maya, and Jaganoth are all necessarily on the same team or even want the same end result. I just think they (will) want to see the end of this era.

Conversely, Zoss put the whole current ruling system together. Incubus is scheming with Jaganoth, but I don't think he wants to see the end of the demiurges as a system. He seems like he just wants to kill them and get new demiurge pals who think he is cool and strong and definitely deserving.

As I was putting my thoughts together on this, though, I realize how little we really know about Jaganoth and his motivations. Pretty much all of our information about him is second-hand at best. gently caress, he very well could become Allison's greatest sympathizer and ally. Who knows!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Abbadon has stated in the past that there will be a sword training arc with Maya that gets really dark, so it's a pretty safe bet Maya will be Alison's teacher soon. Although it seems relatively late in the comic at this point for another training arc to happen, so I guess things will really speed up in the last few books.

Keep in mind Alison doesn't necessarily have to be the enemy of all the demiurges, or even directly deal with all of them. She's there to change the status quo, and that doesn't have to mean killing them all (although if Maya has her way...).

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 21, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Keep in mind Alison doesn't necessarily have to be the enemy of all the demiurges, or even directly deal with all of them. She's there to change the status quo, and that doesn't have to mean killing them all (although if Maya has he way...)

I really hope grandpa dog ends up on her side when it comes down to it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

...are we sure that sword training arc isn't, y'know, Maya's backstory arc? Since otherwise we're running out of space for Maya to train Allison, as the rest of book four looks seriously jam-packed with content.

We could have a training montage in the last book, but it would be really weird framing to have Maya training Allison in an actual training sequence during the cosmic climax book where everything should be happening all at once and the state of the universe is dealt with.

E: Like, we have had a really dark story of sword training in this book: Meti, Incubus, and Maya. Having another one with Allison frankly seems a bit unnecessary, since there's all sorts of ways for Maya to impart lessons or get involved that don't mean repeating the same structure as 'Meti explains that HESITATION IS DEFEAT, complete with starveling child soldier Incubus.'

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd have to find the quote from Abbadon again to check for sure on that. Still, Alison is supposed to wield the blade of want, and that's Maya's power, so...

Edit: here's the quote: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745508&userid=162856#post475613483

Gonna spoiler all this because this is getting into revealing plot ahead of time.

Operant posted:
I think so, there'll be a bigass kung-fu tournament kind of thing in the next chapter so I'll need designs for that.

wiegieman posted:
Following on this, will we finally get the extended training-via-Maya montage we've all been waiting for?

Operant posted:
yeah, but it's probably the darkest part of the comic so be prepared

The question was will there be a montage where Maya trains Alison, FOLLOWING the kung-fu tournament. So it can't be the montage we saw of Maya being trained.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 21, 2019

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'd have to find the quote from Abbadon again to check for sure on that. Still, Alison is supposed to wield the blade of want, and that's Maya's power, so...

Edit: here's the quote: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745508&userid=162856#post475613483

Gonna spoiler all this because this is getting into revealing plot ahead of time.

Operant posted:
I think so, there'll be a bigass kung-fu tournament kind of thing in the next chapter so I'll need designs for that.

wiegieman posted:
Following on this, will we finally get the extended training-via-Maya montage we've all been waiting for?

Operant posted:
yeah, but it's probably the darkest part of the comic so be prepared

The question was will there be a montage where Maya trains Alison, FOLLOWING the kung-fu tournament. So it can't be the montage we saw of Maya being trained.

That “Following on” can easily be interpreted “I have another question” instead of “After the ring of power”. We got a Maya training montage and the wording in the reply doesn’t explicitly say that it Allison receiving the training. IF it is a training in the present then it could end up being Nyave for all we know.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
clearly Incubus is already the better teacher since he has a Key and Maya does not

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

M_Gargantua posted:

That “Following on” can easily be interpreted “I have another question” instead of “After the ring of power”. We got a Maya training montage and the wording in the reply doesn’t explicitly say that it Allison receiving the training. IF it is a training in the present then it could end up being Nyave for all we know.
I don't know what comic you've been reading if you think those three or four strips were the darkest part.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The blade of Want isn't a thing or power, it is the Cutting away of everything that denies you Royalty.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I mean Abbadon might have changed his mind and this is all moot, but I'm pretty sure Maya is supposed to train Alison before the end. If I'm wrong, w/e.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What if Maya trains Al-Yis-Un in the fine art of noodle appreciation?

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

DancingShade posted:

What if Maya trains Al-Yis-Un in the fine art of noodle appreciation?

Allison was a poor college student. I can't think of anyone who appreciates noodles more.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Royalty.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I’m pretty sure Incubus’ backstory has been the darkest thing in the comic so far for an individual character. Mass death in battle and Mottom’s human sacrifices don’t usually get framed that way; I’d say Mottom’s arc is the darkest we’ve had besides ‘war orphan becomes unflinching death machine’ - the panel of Lil’ Incubus with his head cut up is genuinely upsetting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think I just figured out how to phrase why Maya is so much farther from royalty than Meti, despite the latter being a bum in a barrel. It's the flavor of their disdain of sword arts. Maya is much more attached to hers, both literally (using the sword hilt) and philosophically. ("I would like to tell you that I am a noodle vendor.") She still has pride and regret attached to herself and her choices.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

hey girl you up posted:

Yeah, I always thought this much was clear.

I also figured Maya was on Allison's "team", but I'm not sure I read it that way any more.

It looks more to me that the bottom row means to preserve the current celestial order, while the top row are those who would seek to destroy it. I don't mean that Allison, Maya, and Jaganoth are all necessarily on the same team or even want the same end result. I just think they (will) want to see the end of this era.

Conversely, Zoss put the whole current ruling system together. Incubus is scheming with Jaganoth, but I don't think he wants to see the end of the demiurges as a system. He seems like he just wants to kill them and get new demiurge pals who think he is cool and strong and definitely deserving.

As I was putting my thoughts together on this, though, I realize how little we really know about Jaganoth and his motivations. Pretty much all of our information about him is second-hand at best. gently caress, he very well could become Allison's greatest sympathizer and ally. Who knows!

I don't stand by my wacko theory, exactly, but I've suggested before that maybe Jagganoth's gotten his omnicide phase out of his system and will peacefully pass the mantle to Allison and go write poetry.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Wherein our heroine shows that she is a master of stealth and subtlety.

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/king-of-swords-9-98/

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hostile V posted:

cio!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oops lit my boob on fire no biggie

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hostile V posted:

"AAAUUUUGH! My card! My card is red hot! Cio you rat! You werent using the Red Art to help me! You were using it to give me the ol' spicy titty!

How could you give your own girlfriend the spicy titty, Cio?!"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Who What Now posted:

"AAAUUUUGH! My card! My card is red hot! Cio you rat! You werent using the Red Art to help me! You were using it to give me the ol' spicy titty!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Who What Now posted:

loving hell, this joke is Royalty.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Dry cleaners is gonna charge extra to fix that.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Who What Now posted:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Who What Now posted:

perfect

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Who What Now posted:

Wonderful :allears:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Who What Now posted:

Die Augen :vince:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Hostile V posted:

I'd been hoping one of those guys would show up again among the pursuers!

Who What Now posted:

:eyepop:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Who What Now posted:

:discourse:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Book face better survive this.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

drat, I almost didn't recognize our old buddies YNGSVLD and the oni dude with a tiny hammer. Seeing them in this new context of directly threatening Allison is so different from their usual "horde of idiots falling over eachother" shenanigans. I guess that year of downtime paid off.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

INGLSVLD is looking thinner. Must've had his appendix removed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

INGLSVLD is looking thinner. Must've had his appendix removed.

Booooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Who What Now posted: