Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

if that's one of those waving frogs then they're 100% correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

A review by H. G. Wells dated 17 April 1927 accused it of "foolishness, cliché, platitude, and muddlement about mechanical progress and progress in general." He faulted Metropolis for its premise that automation created drudgery rather than relieving it, wondered who was buying the machines' output if not the workers

:allears:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Clothing

Mr. Bean wears a brown tweed jacket, a white shirt, a thin red tie, brown trousers, black shoes and a black digital calculator watch. He occasionally changes his outfit to suit the scene he is in.[3]

In the episode The Return of Mr. Bean, when Bean is heading to a fancy restaurant to celebrate his birthday he wears a grey suit with a dark red tie. In the same episode Bean wears a tuxedo. In the episode The Curse of Mr. Bean when Bean is heading for the park to make a sandwich for his lunch, he wears a long dark green Overcoat with a light green shirt and a dark green tie. In the same episode when Bean goes to watch a horror film with his girlfriend, he is wearing his trademark clothes but wears a light colored brown sweater instead of his trademark brown tweed jacket.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The film lost money to due it's late release and the ending having to be changed which consisted of Sandra getting away with all of the money and Rita dying.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

work, play, and a final mysterious goal: a dog party

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The front and back covers were designed by Simon Fowler based upon photography by Stefano Giovannini and Sean Jackson.

Room to Roam is named after a passage in a George MacDonald book, Phantastes. The cover photography was done by Simon Fowler, and designed by Anni Siggins.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It was first issued in the United Kingdom (referred to in philatelic circles as Great Britain),

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The episode's reference to Bram Stoker's Dracula was named the 32nd greatest film reference in the history of the show by Total Film's Nathan Ditum.[17]

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Today Open Morris has a large number of member sides and interacts happily with the other umbrella groups as a member of the "Joint Morris Organisation". Members of this grouping have always made a point of promoting morris dance as a living tradition. They are traditionally non-traditional.

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The tweet gained over 170 retweets and 390 likes (shown below).

knowyourmeme, but lol

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
In popular culture
In The Fellowship of the Ring, the wizard Gandalf shouts "You shall not pass" at a balrog, before destroying the bridge and being dragged into the abyss with it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

6,372 kg (14,048 lb) with 1,190 rds of ammunition (above deck); 9,902 kg (21,830 lb) (total), assuming 1 g.

thank you noble wikipedia editor for clarifying that the documented weight of the Goalkeeper CIWS air-defense cannon is only valid in Earth standard gravity, and it would weigh a different amount if transported to, say, the moon

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sagebrush posted:

thank you noble wikipedia editor for clarifying that the documented weight of the Goalkeeper CIWS air-defense cannon is only valid in Earth standard gravity, and it would weigh a different amount if transported to, say, the moon
it's not even technically correct because it's applying that to kilograms

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It masses 6,372 kg, assuming gravity of 1g. It also masses 6,372 kg under other amounts of gravity, but it does under 1g, too.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Are lbs considered weight or mass?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Carbon dioxide posted:

ask your mom

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

b/c she's fat as hell

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Mass. The corresponding unit of weight is "pound of force", symbol lbf.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The original name Fuchur is derived from the Japanese Fukuryū (福竜/福龍, "good luck dragon").[citation needed] It was changed in the English translation because the pronunciation of the original name is similar to that of the agentive form of an English expletive.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Doom Mathematic posted:

whoa I learned something new today

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Doom Mathematic posted:

Nowadays yeah, but historically it could be one or the other (or both!) depending on the unit system. One of my favorite obscure units is the "slug". This was used in at least one system where the pound was the unit of weight, and the slug was the unit of mass. There's a fun chart in this article with some units I've never seen before. Like what the heck is a poundal or a kilopond :iiam:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(unit)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Similar units [edit]

The blob is the inch version of the slug (1 blob is equal to 1 lbf⋅s2/in, or 12 slugs)[2][9] or equivalent to 386.0886 pounds (175.1268 kg). This unit is also called slinch (a portmanteau of the words slug and inch).[10][11] Similar terms include slugette[12] and snail.[13]

Similar metric units include the glug in the centimetre–gram–second system, and the mug, par, or MTE in the metre–kilogram–second system.[14]

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
All of which is most amusing in a furlong-firkin-fortnight sort of way until you suddenly realise, they were serious. People at one point actually attempted to do real science using slugs, dynes and kiloponds.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I prefer the potrzebie-ngogn-blintz system

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Doom Mathematic posted:

All of which is most amusing in a furlong-firkin-fortnight sort of way until you suddenly realise, they were serious. People at one point actually attempted to do real science using slugs, dynes and kiloponds.

to me it's kind of endearing that during a certain period of history, there were a bunch of people running around, all promoting their own pet systems of weights and measures

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lutha Mahtin posted:

to me it's kind of endearing that during a certain period of history, there were a bunch of people running around, all promoting their own pet systems of weights and measures
and we've never had any competition between standards since

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The cover depicts a large, naked Caucasian man, whose genitals are obscured.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

The cover depicts a large, naked Caucasian man, whose genitals are obscured.

Some monitors will also switch themselves off after a time period on standby.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
A pointing stick (or nub; also referred to jokingly as a "nipple mouse", "tit mouse", “clit mouse” etc.)

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Doom Mathematic posted:

In my first semester of engineering they made us do all our work in imperial units and ugh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Spaced God posted:

In my first semester of engineering they made us do all our work in imperial units and ugh

ssssssssssssame

quick, how many gills to a pint

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Mispronunciation

Because of its more widely used homograph, gill is often mispronounced with a hard 'g' sound.[citation needed]

FX's animated cartoon Archer, mispronounced gill in the episodes "Blood Test" (Season 2, Episode 3)[11] and "Heart of Archness: Part Three" (Season 3, Episode 3).[12]

Television host Stephen Fry mispronounced gill in a 2013 edition of the BBC TV programme QI.[citation needed]

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The lyrics of "School's Out" indicate that not only is the school year ended for summer vacation, but ended forever, and that the school itself has been blown up.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

not worthless:

quote:

A popular Russian internet running joke and one of the most popular Yandex search requests is "what would happen if you dropped a crowbar into a train toilet at full speed?"

now i'm extraordinarily curious

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I guess it would go clonk and maybe dent it? or chip the porcelain if it’s a fancy toilet?

or is this the new airplane on a treadmill and something weird is expected to happen

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think it's meant to be one of the toilets where when you flush it's just a straight pipe down to the tracks, so if you dropped in a crowbar at speed it would dig into the ties while still in the pipe and ????

break the crowbar in half? rip the toilet out through the floor? derail the train?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

split all the cars behind you in half lengthwise?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
In the original Japanese and English-translated mangas as well as the original Japanese anime series, Goku's power level is actually read as "over 8000!" (8000以上だ…! Hassen ijō da…!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
However, after a grassroots campaign and the results of a Bayer telephone poll came in favor of including Betty, the character was added to the lineup in 1995, replacing the Flintstone car.[4] The rock band Betty's Not a Vitamin was named after this situation, but their first album was released in 2007, long after Betty was added.