Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I think I will wait for them to iron out the bugs and get the 4a version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Lol, why did they go straight to it being a flash storage issue? There's like a billion more likely software-related reasons for this.

Anyway, glitches and weird stuff like that are par for the course for basically any modern electronics. It's far more likely to be just some weird thing that happens sometimes.

Yeah, not only are glitches normal in any kind of software, it's far more likely google's code is doing something fucky vs an underlying hardware issue, like wtf tech journalists.

bull3964 posted:

While Pixel 4 owners may be having woes waiting for apps to use the new biometric API, things are starting to get worse in the Samsung side of things.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/10/21/bank-apps-start-blacklisting-galaxy-s10-phones-after-discovery-of-fingerprint-vulnerability/

This whole fingerprint issue is really quite remarkable, and an interesting look at Samsung's lack of sufficient QA haha

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 21, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Celexi posted:

I think I will wait for them to iron out the bugs and get the 4a version

You should wait for them to iron out the bugs in the 4a version and get the 5.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
The SOT and standby time on my P2 is so abhorrent that quite frankly I will be absolutely impressed if the P4 experience could be any worse. In the past two weeks especially, it feels like the battery on this thing has been absolutely chunked after hardly any use. Show up to work at 7:30am, check it a single time, and by 9am, I'm down to almost 70% and that's without the wifi radio on.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to tomorrow afternoon. I'm sure I will be one of many posters offering their views on the device

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm sure the Pixel 4/4XL will be fine phone choices despite their weaknesses, just like many other phones

seems like there are enough compromises that we don't need a gang tag though

just sayin

:jerry:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

I'm sure the Pixel 4/4XL will be fine phone choices despite their weaknesses, just like many other phones

seems like there are enough compromises that we don't need a gang tag though

just sayin

:jerry:

:frogout:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

The SOT and standby time on my P2 is so abhorrent that quite frankly I will be absolutely impressed if the P4 experience could be any worse. In the past two weeks especially, it feels like the battery on this thing has been absolutely chunked after hardly any use. Show up to work at 7:30am, check it a single time, and by 9am, I'm down to almost 70% and that's without the wifi radio on.

Same. I don't know if it's an app (how does PocketCasts use so much battery playing downloaded files in the background?), Android 10, or the battery. I'd be willing to get a new battery if I was certain it was the culprit.

I've only had the phone one year, so I'm not mentally prepared to replace it. Otherwise, it's the perfect phone for me.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Endless Mike posted:

TBF, an 8.5 VERGESCORE is essentially panning it.

This is so weird -- any time I find myself reading a Verge review, it's almost always an Apple product, and it's always between 7 and 8 despite the overall review being quite positive. What happened to iVerge?!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to tomorrow afternoon. I'm sure I will be one of many posters offering their views on the device

Yeah, after two years the battery on me and my mom's Pixels has absolutely tanked. Part of the reason I wanted to upgrade this year. Speaking of, waiting for FedEx to deliver my new phone is reminding me why I never like them. It's supposed to come today, but the last tracking event is showing it arriving in Columbus (I live about 30 miles away). I put it on a hold at a location down the street because I had plans and I didn't feel like waiting literally all day for it. Well now it's past 6 and I'm back home, tracking hasn't changed at all. I mean if it comes tomorrow that's ok but don't make me wait around all day because it's "supposed" to come today

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

It became immediately worse with Android 10 for sure. I've got 37 minutes of SOT today and I'm at 68% with it otherwise just sitting on my desk or in my pocket.

Went on a short vacation over the weekend and had to charge it twice Saturday after taking a few dozen photos and using walking navigation during the day.

I'm eyeing battery cases or uBreakifix's battery replacement but it is so obviously not (just) the chemistry aging. It is easily 20% lower at the end of a typical day than right before updating to 10.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There have been a few articles saying that the P4 works at 11watts wireless charging on any pad that supports it. I'm honestly not so sure as I have a Samsung fast charging pad and it's very clearly only charging at 5w. It could be Samsung being Samsung. I don't have another 10w charger to test and I probably won't because I really don't have a need for yet another charger.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My boyfriend is asking me if buying the Pixel 3 on Amazon (shipped and sold by Amazon) gets the same Pixel support as buying it through the Play Store, anyone know? I know you're hosed if you buy it through a carrier.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
When I updated to Android 10 on my Pixel 3 I gave it a few days before resetting to factory settings for a fresh install. That definitely helped battery life and memory management for me. Maybe something to consider. I always do this after a major version update.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

sirbeefalot posted:

It became immediately worse with Android 10 for sure. I've got 37 minutes of SOT today and I'm at 68% with it otherwise just sitting on my desk or in my pocket.

Went on a short vacation over the weekend and had to charge it twice Saturday after taking a few dozen photos and using walking navigation during the day.

I'm eyeing battery cases or uBreakifix's battery replacement but it is so obviously not (just) the chemistry aging. It is easily 20% lower at the end of a typical day than right before updating to 10.

I've got 2 hours 7 minutes SOT and I'm at 54%.

OG Pixel XL with 10.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I've got 2 hours 7 minutes SOT and I'm at 54%.

OG Pixel XL with 10.

That's extremely impressive for a first gen pixel.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's extremely impressive for a first gen pixel.

It's because of my intrinsic worth as a manly and woke man.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Actually, I just remembered I was on a not fast charger for 15 or so minutes today during a drive.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i am not having any battery issues on 10 on my P2XL :shrug:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
most of the Pixel 4 reviews I've read have been fairly complimentary with the exception of the normally pro-Pixel Android Central, which currently is running a double headline that is, ah, Not Good

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

When I updated to Android 10 on my Pixel 3 I gave it a few days before resetting to factory settings for a fresh install. That definitely helped battery life and memory management for me. Maybe something to consider. I always do this after a major version update.

Funny enough, I did do a factory reset after updating (about a week or two ago), trying to figure out why my Visible service wasn't making calls or texts. Didn't really make a difference that I could tell.

FistEnergy posted:

most of the Pixel 4 reviews I've read have been fairly complimentary with the exception of the normally pro-Pixel Android Central, which currently is running a double headline that is, ah, Not Good

LOL, ouch.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

strap on revenge posted:

Wtf are you running any apps? I got 4-5h on a whole charge on my 2XL.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm at 60% on my device protect refurbed Pixel 1 after 55 minutes of SOT. Bit over an hour and a half of podcast listening both with and without bluetooth today.

I think that's decent for it but also I need to get a new phone anyway since yesterday it didn't see calls or texts for like 4 hours before I rebooted the phone.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wtf are you running any apps? I got 4-5h on a whole charge on my 2XL.

it was a pretty cruisy day at home so no real network activity or anything. 4-5 hours SOT is pretty standard for any regular day though

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Reports are the video recording is pretty trash, which is disappointing, but not a deal breaker (for me). I need a new phone and this is the only one with a 90Hz screen (available with warranty in my country), so I'm getting it anyway. Would have probably gotten the "small" one if it had a decent battery, so I guess Google's hobbling worked to get extra $ from me.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Finally got my dark mode in Gmail. Unshackled from my light mode oppressors

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bull3964 posted:

Most of the reviews I've seen say it's a fantastic device let down by battery life.

So... "lives up to expectations"? :haw:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

vyst posted:

Same. loving finally.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
Ordered a 128gb black 4XL from Google on the first day....originally estimated a Nov 6 arrival but will be here on Wednesday for anyone curious as to shipping stuff. Probably because of so few orders lol.

Literally only upgrading from the 3XL this year because I smashed the gently caress out of my screen and the charging port is being a pain in the rear end. Self owned

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

strap on revenge posted:

My wife and I got Pixel 2 XLs at the same time - hers has a great battery and she still loves it, mine had a poo poo battery and I "upgraded" to the 3 XL, which also had a poo poo battery. My Pixel 1 XL was solid though, and so is my S10+.

She had such a terrible time with the Nexus 6P battery that she is afraid to upgrade anymore, but she's one of those weirdos who doesn't want to change phones every six months.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ok, my first full rundown of the P4 XL.

2 hours of Spotify streaming to Bluetooth headphones. Misc Awful use. Chrome. Feedly. Facebook. Twitter. About 40 minutes of pocketcasts streaming via Bluetooth to my car. Some random photo taking. Setting up my MFA apps and setting up my Galaxy Watch Active 2. Mostly all wifi since I work from home.

6hrs 40 minutes of SoT. About 14 hours off charger total.

Not great compared to my OP7P, but serviceable for me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Ok, my first full rundown of the P4 XL.

2 hours of Spotify streaming to Bluetooth headphones. Misc Awful use. Chrome. Feedly. Facebook. Twitter. About 40 minutes of pocketcasts streaming via Bluetooth to my car. Some random photo taking. Setting up my MFA apps and setting up my Galaxy Watch Active 2. Mostly all wifi since I work from home.

6hrs 40 minutes of SoT. About 14 hours off charger total.

Not great compared to my OP7P, but serviceable for me.

I get 4-5h on my 3XL. I'm always amazed at your battery life.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yo my essential ph-1 is still chugging along and is updated to Android 10. Y'all trippin' over this new poo poo should have bought in.

Like what you really doing that needs 12gb ram and six camera modules. Editing babbies first horror movie on the fly?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyst posted:

XIII posted:

Same. loving finally.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I still regret not getting the green essential phone, and would tbh still probably spend way too much money on one.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I get 4-5h on my 3XL. I'm always amazed at your battery life.

I get 6ish hours SOT on my non-XL pixel 2, with lots of Bluetooth audio and video playing (podcasts, YouTube). I think you must use some really terrible apps or something to always get poor battery life :shrug:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

I get 6ish hours SOT on my non-XL pixel 2, with lots of Bluetooth audio and video playing (podcasts, YouTube). I think you must use some really terrible apps or something to always get poor battery life :shrug:

Yeah, it's probably snapchat and instagram.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't been following Android devices closely for a while, but AFAIK, keeping phones up to date is not Samsung's strong suit.
My S10 is at best nearly a month late with security updates (as in you might get it end of the month instead of the beginning). The October update installed around the 10th here.

Of course, I'm using an unlocked S10. YMMV with that carrier garbage.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

My S10 is at best nearly a month late with security updates (as in you might get it end of the month instead of the beginning). The October update installed around the 10th here.

Of course, I'm using an unlocked S10. YMMV with that carrier garbage.

That's definitely why. If you have a carrier S10, which most people here would have, you get security updates once a quarter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How would that be different for a carrier Pixel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's definitely why. If you have a carrier S10, which most people here would have, you get security updates once a quarter.

Updates are also dependent on regions. Australian S9 are already starting to fall behind in updates.