Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's sad, my Applications folder is kind of pointless.

Although I guess Dropbox and Google Drive are apps and occasionally I'll use Pages. I use more apps on my iPad, hence the rationale for porting those over to MacOS.

How is it sad? That's literally the point of a Chromebook. Not everyone needs 3rd party apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If you only use first party apps, what was it about a MacBook that made you choose it over an iPad? If I didn't need tons of development/design tools, I'd probably use an iPad Pro exclusively.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

God drat the trackpad on my 2018 MBP just up and decided to stop giving haptic feedback despite everything being set up correctly and making no changes since I last woke it from sleep.

PRAM reset did nothing, I had to hold down right shift, left option and cmd and power at the same time to reset it or something, like this is some kind of weird ONE SECRET TRICK. It's been a real weird year for me and Apple hardware/software :sigh:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

If you only use first party apps, what was it about a MacBook that made you choose it over an iPad? If I didn't need tons of development/design tools, I'd probably use an iPad Pro exclusively.

I’ve never had a Mac before so I got a good deal on a MBP from late 2013 and it’s been fun. But the reality is that an iPad Pro would probably suit me just fine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

How is it sad? That's literally the point of a Chromebook. Not everyone needs 3rd party apps.

The independent Mac developer scene used to be better obviously. It was fun finding new programs that filled whatever small niche you didn’t know you needed. Now it’s app bundles that are just minor variations of other apps that you already didn’t like much. The last few I bought turned out to be inferior to free web apps. :shrug:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Krispy Wafer posted:

The independent Mac developer scene used to be better obviously. It was fun finding new programs that filled whatever small niche you didn’t know you needed. Now it’s app bundles that are just minor variations of other apps that you already didn’t like much. The last few I bought turned out to be inferior to free web apps. :shrug:

Aw geez, thinking back to the 2000s era of *Mac Software*

or the system 7-9 days.

Aww I feel all warm and like I weirdly wanna listen to U2.

.......Y’all remember when widgets were a thing and you basically had to get them from Apple’s site except for the one or two system monitors that people would get? My tiny-rear end college had their own dining hall menu widget, and they were one of like four schools I think that had one.

Man, Apple really let widgets/dashboard die on the vine fast, huh.

Also I wish KidPix still existed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used to love LaunchBar but then Apple basically stole it and put them out of business.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Gay Retard posted:

Me personally, I just want to make sure any 3rd party app I install comes from a very reputable developer. But part of that probably stems from working with people who were researching into some of the crazy nonsense buried in a lot of 3rd party Windows apps.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Have the new and improved (?) keyboard on the 2019 MBPs the same problems as the old butterfly keyboards? My 2013 died recently when a colleague spilt coffee all over it, so I'm trying to find out if I should buy the 2019 or hope that there will be a 13" with a completely new keyboard soon.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Xabi posted:

Have the new and improved (?) keyboard on the 2019 MBPs the same problems as the old butterfly keyboards? My 2013 died recently when a colleague spilt coffee all over it, so I'm trying to find out if I should buy the 2019 or hope that there will be a 13" with a completely new keyboard soon.

They have fairly similar issues, rumors have the 16” mbp with new keyboard out this year, but no rumors of the other sizes as yet, so it could be another year unless apple pulls a left turn.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I don't like the idea of buying a new computer that has a bad keyboard, even though there is a service program.

But I don't want to buy a computer from 2015 either... I guess I should just wait and see if there's an October/November event with some news.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have a 2019 and 2017 MBP and the keyboard is fine on both. i also havent heard of anyone on my team having issues. it definitely seems like a crapshoot, but it doesnt appear to be a 100% failure rate as people assume lol

actually the only issue i had in recent years were:

1) my previous 2015 MBP. the battery bulged, and ruined the trackpad and bottom part of the keyboard :negative:
2) my flying toasters screensaver started causing kernel panics on mojave. wtf?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mu Zeta posted:

I used to love LaunchBar but then Apple basically stole it and put them out of business.

They were Sherlocked!

Just like Growl, F.lux, Luna Display...

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also I wish KidPix still existed.

Yes, it does, but it a somewhat modified form..

https://www.mackiev.com/kidpix/index.html

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

2) my flying toasters screensaver started causing kernel panics on mojave. wtf?

Consider going with a light golden brown instead of dark.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
I’m having a weird charging problem with my 2015 MacBook Pro 15". I mostly use it on AC power, but 2 days ago it started acting up.

The charging light goes from green to amber like it’s going to start charging, blinks off for a second, then goes green and the computer beeps like it was just plugged in. It stays green for another second or two, then the charger blinks off and the cycle repeats.

If the computer is in sleep mode or powered off it charges normally. It also runs fine off the battery. This only happens when it’s powered on and on the charger.

I tried resetting the SMC and the PRAM, but neither helped.

The battery is at about 350 cycles and holds a decent charge, and I don’t have another Magsafe 2 charger to check it with.

I have an appointment set up at the Apple Store on Friday, but is there something else I can do to try to fix it now?

eames
May 9, 2009

I would try to run the Apple Diagnostics

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Run Coconut Battery and see what the capacity is; if it's below 80% it probably needs to be replaced.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

eames posted:

somebody pointed out that the leaked icon shows hints of a separate ESC button, almost impossible to see at that angle but that'd be a decent compromise if true.

please god my vim muscle memory aches for this

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Malcolm XML posted:

please god my vim muscle memory aches for this

Macs are literally not made for people who even just know what vim is let alone how to use it :smugdog:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think if I didn’t have a real Esc key, I’d be less likely to exit out of full screen mode so often. Don’t know why that function is binded to that key in the first place.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Caps locks are better Esc keys.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Gay Retard posted:

Caps locks are better Esc keys.

It's already remapped to control, like god intended. :colbert:

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Run Coconut Battery and see what the capacity is; if it's below 80% it probably needs to be replaced.

Coconut Battery says 88.2%, so that should be ok for a while. Apple Diagnostics didn't find anything.

Thanks for the tips. I have a replacement power adapter coming tomorrow, so I'll see if that's the problem.

This is a 3rd-party refurb and had a 6 month warranty, which expired on 10/9. It started misbehaving on 10/20, like it knew.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

It also could be a bad MagSafe module, might have fallen below spec or something.

Three components have to work in concert for the main battery to be charged: the battery itself has to have enough capacity, the power adapter has to be sending in the proper voltage, and the MagSafe/DC-in board has to be properly sending current in to the logic board.

The MagSafe is usually the first of these three to go since it takes the most physical wear and tear (you attaching the MagSafe and yanking it out when it's not needed)

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Luceo posted:

It's already remapped to control, like god intended. :colbert:

You’re supposed to do both.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A friend asked me to put the latest (or last) version of OSX on his late 2008 15 inch MBP. The thing runs 10.5.5 now and holy poo poo trying to figure out how to put anything newer on there is ridiculous.

I had forgotten what tanks these things were though! This thing feels like it could take one hell of a beating.

Still not a fan of that models keyboard though.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MarcusSA posted:

A friend asked me to put the latest (or last) version of OSX on his late 2008 15 inch MBP. The thing runs 10.5.5 now and holy poo poo trying to figure out how to put anything newer on there is ridiculous.

I had forgotten what tanks these things were though! This thing feels like it could take one hell of a beating.

Still not a fan of that models keyboard though.

Shaocaholica posted:

dosdude installer. I think this is one of the oldest machines that still works. C2D/Q supremacy. Posting from same machine.

e: some day I'll post from a machine made during my reg year

Shaocaholica posted:

Yep its the oldest supported MBP and its pre-unibody. He posted a video today showing how to make the installer and briefly says some other people have gotten it to work on an older(?) MacBook (not-pro) but the experience is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxFzZWqoCng

He seems to be pretty devoted to supporting the very bottom as long as the experience is decent.

If you want to run 'unsupported' on a 2008 MBP then you'll need a new wifi card as the ones that came with them aren't supported in the newer OS and I can't remember why the old drivers don't work anymore but its just easier to pop a new card in there instead of dicking around with injecting old drivers that might not work anyway.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 23, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

If you want to run 'unsupported' on a 2008 MBP then you'll need a new wifi card as the ones that came with them aren't supported in the newer OS and I can't remember why the old drivers don't work anymore but its just easier to pop a new card in there instead of dicking around with injecting old drivers that might not work anyway.

Oh drat interesting! I might take a look at this. I’m not sure what he’s gonna do with the machine though. First order is getting it updated to snow leopard lol.

Thanks!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MarcusSA posted:

Oh drat interesting! I might take a look at this. I’m not sure what he’s gonna do with the machine though. First order is getting it updated to snow leopard lol.

Thanks!

Yeah you could in theory just jump forward 10 versions of OS X which would be hilarious.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The magnetic flip-up lid latches on that generation were kind of goofy and failure-prone but I sure liked them better than the current "pointy cutout that digs into your wrist, gently caress YOU SOFT USELESS HUMAN" ergonomics

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

The magnetic flip-up lid latches on that generation were kind of goofy and failure-prone but I sure liked them better than the current "pointy cutout that digs into your wrist, gently caress YOU SOFT USELESS HUMAN" ergonomics

I feel like the edges got a lot sharper on MacBooks when they introduced the butterfly keyboard designs. Some of my students have those and I'm always shocked at how much less pleasant they feel in the hand than my 2014 Air.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks!

Oh you might not need the new WiFi card if it’s a unibody.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
I had a 2015 Macbook Air that was giving me replace battery warnings. Took it into the Apple store and got the battery swapped out for a new one.

About 2 weeks after, it shut down completely while using it. I plugged it in to power and booted it back up to charge, but then noticed soon after I unplugged it again it would no longer stay on without the power cord attached. Cord was also plugged in for at least 12 hours and battery was still only at about 63% and "Still Charging" with an ETA of something like 4+ hours until full.

I have an appointment to get this looked at though I'm curious what kind of issue this might be? Just a bad battery altogether?

I've reset the SMC and PRAM as well, to no effect. Thing runs fine when plugged in but turns off within seconds if not connected to power.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The components that charge the battery on the main board could be damaged while still being able to sense the battery charge. You should still be covered by the warranty of the last repair since its only been 2 weeks. Have Apple fix it on their dime.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Haha! Thanks for the tip butttt

Lol!!!

I’m gonna need to upgrade to snow leopard before I can do anything lol.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh man those office icons are a trip :allears:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pram posted:

oh man those office icons are a trip :allears:

Yeah this thing hasn’t been updated since 2009 lol. He paid like $1800 for it in January 2009.

I forgot the best part! He brought the thing over and he was like I think I need a new battery the glue on this one came apart.

I should have taken a picture of it but loving lol he’s lucky it didn’t burn his house down. I don’t know when the last time I’ve seen a battery that swollen.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My brother had a lamp iMac when we lived together and I have such fond memories of that thing. Jaguar ftw.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah my 2008 OG batt got swole AF too. Now its running on pure chinesium knockoff.

Looks like you have the pre unibody so if you install any of those patched MacOSs the wifi won't work until you get a new card.

You should first update to 10.11 which is the last officially supported OS. Not sure on how to get a USB installer for that right now.

e: looks like if you have access to another mac with the app store you can download 10.11 and make a USB installer. Or play the progressive upgrade game but I don't even know.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

You should first update to 10.11 which is the last officially supported OS. Not sure on how to get a USB installer for that right now.

Yeah that’s the problem I was having last night lol.

I have to update to snow leopard first but I have to burn it onto a dvd lol!

Luckily work still has blank dvds because I sure as hell haven’t used one in like years.