Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I take back everything nice I said about my birds. I'm in bed with a cold and Ozzy wants to yell all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My favorite part about owning budgies, more than any other parrot, is the nonstop endless burbling noises they make. It's a literal constant background noise but it's so cute and mellow that I can't help but love it.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

SuperKlaus posted:

What's the sparkling adoring anime eyes emoji?

A friend of mine visiting once said "Sinbad's almost always making noise." I didn't even notice but I was kind of staggered to think it would bother anyone. He is almost perpetually chirping or something but screams aside I think it's all cute.

that's why we're bird people... for some people constant bird sounds are really vexing, not charming or soothing!

my boyfriend is one of those people, so the birds live in the back bedroom instead of the living room :(

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Agent355 posted:

My favorite part about owning budgies, more than any other parrot, is the nonstop endless burbling noises they make. It's a literal constant background noise but it's so cute and mellow that I can't help but love it.

Budgies getting sleepy make the best noises. Super happy bubbly sounds mixed with tiny beak clicks. :kimchi:

And then they bring a footy up and get all puffy. :kimchi::kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Agent355 posted:

When my best bud and room mate got married, he said the lack of budgie noise after I left was literally unsettling.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Budgies getting sleepy make the best noises. Super happy bubbly sounds mixed with tiny beak clicks. :kimchi:

And then they bring a footy up and get all puffy. :kimchi::kimchi:

Extremely true. All the little noises and words they pick up woven into their burbling are so great. It's the best possible background music.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Is that when it murdered you and stole your account?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Hey folks, just wanted to pop in and say something positive about my health. This isn't meant to derail, but a lot of people here keep in good touch with me and help keep me positive so I'd like this little community to know about an improvement.

My terminal condition? Treatment has been so effective that the disease progression has not only stopped, but also improved in some aspects. I ain't going nowhere any time soon. Doctor said this is a one in a million result. I didn't check his math, but I'm not complaining. :downs:

Thanks for all the kind thoughts, messages, and bird pics.

ESPECIALLY the bird pics.

Oh, I should probably post one -

Borb is Disheveled -

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Log posted:

Hey folks, just wanted to pop in and say something positive about my health. This isn't meant to derail, but a lot of people here keep in good touch with me and help keep me positive so I'd like this little community to know about an improvement.

My terminal condition? Treatment has been so effective that the disease progression has not only stopped, but also improved in some aspects. I ain't going nowhere any time soon. Doctor said this is a one in a million result. I didn't check his math, but I'm not complaining. :downs:

Borb is Disheveled -

That is amazing, marvellous news - no exaggeration, I'm tearing up in happiness for you and yours right now :3: .

(I bet the birbs are the mystery healing factor - those birdy kisses have magical powers)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

Borb is Disheveled -

this is super great news, hopefully you will continue to improve and one day you can fulfill your dream of traveling to australia (to be skeletonized by a flock of wild galahs)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Captain Log posted:

:stoked:

(hi i'm the thread creeper who's been reading the entire thing and going from the beginning of the thread where you've been in bad places to where you are now with your terrible hissing egg-layer and hearing you're gonna live is AMAZING)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

I thought greys were supposed to be smart, this math is all wrong :colbert:

Good handwriting for a zygodactyl animal tho

Captain Log posted:

Borb is Disheveled -

Have you graduated from hobbling to tottering yet?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

DarkHorse posted:

I thought greys were supposed to be smart, this math is all wrong :colbert:

Good handwriting for a zygodactyl animal tho

Having four claws, two legs and two wings, and the ability to SHOUT REAL LOUD, most parrots use a modified version of the Dragon script and language. Their handwriting is usually pretty bad as they have four regular toes instead of three big toes and one dewclaw, but as most parrots tend to shred their handwriting exercise books quickly and never gain much in the way of penmanship skills, the matter is somewhat moot.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That is fantastic news Captain Log and it's been wonderful watching your positive progression with your silly little birb. :3:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Pookah posted:

That is amazing, marvellous news - no exaggeration, I'm tearing up in happiness for you and yours right now :3: .

(I bet the birbs are the mystery healing factor - those birdy kisses have magical powers)

yay!!!! I have been wondering how you have been, Captain, but I didn't want to pry...

and for god's sake dont let that get around about magical healing birdie kisses...mine have a big enough head already with the Super Hot and Spicy Birdie Kisses superpower they have atm!

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 19, 2019

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/Lefirstmen/status/1185358915275575298

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
I’m at my wits end. My tiel won’t stop yelling and screaming at maximum lung capacity. He’s been going the entire day and we’re not able to stay in the living room anymore, my ears are ringing. He’s been doing this all week, but he’s usually calmed down in the afternoon... we’re trying to be consequent in not giving him attention when he does it and leaving the room every time he gets going, but he just won’t stop... no new elements near his cage at all, there shouldn’t be anything new to be agitated about... losing my mind here

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Disco Salmon posted:

yay!!!! I have been wondering how you have been, Captain, but I didn't want to pry...

and for god's sake dont let that get around about magical healing birdie kisses...mine have a big enough head already with the Super Hot and Spicy Birdie Kisses superpower they have atm!
Ha, Pookie pulls the ol spicy kiss surprise on me too :D

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Tactical nuclear weapons are your only remaining option

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You’ve been with me through every stage stage of this, from the “doctors think you are crazy and loading you up with all sorts of awful meds” to the “doctors no longer think you’re crazy, but now think you’re dead meat” stage, and I love having something positive to share.

Judgmental cockatiels apparently have more healing power than we can comprehend.

Please, science, research the healing power of my sassy pants birb.

I love getting to be part of this community filled with some of the best internet people I’ve ever known.

Edit : Sorry, was phone typing earlier.

Clarity : I do still have motor neuron disease, which is still a nasty terminal diagnosis. I still have bad damage to my lower body. But, progression is what kills you and my progression has been stopped in its tracks.

Thank the Birb. Does anyone want to open up a New Age healing clinic where we just cover someone in parrots until they get healed? I can throw in upwards of three parrots. :derptiel: -

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 19, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Enriching and adding fun, love, and meaning to your life? Ugh! Birds!!

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Sending everyone (but Captain Log especially) damp Alfi vibes

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

yoshesque posted:

Sending everyone (but Captain Log especially) damp Alfi vibes

Ahhhh mah Gawd! :3:

One of those is my eventual dream bird, because every one I've ever been around just acts like a giant sized cockatiel.

Here is a baby I met that was purchased by a family of four before I left the store.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

I’m at my wits end. My tiel won’t stop yelling and screaming at maximum lung capacity. He’s been going the entire day and we’re not able to stay in the living room anymore, my ears are ringing. He’s been doing this all week, but he’s usually calmed down in the afternoon... we’re trying to be consequent in not giving him attention when he does it and leaving the room every time he gets going, but he just won’t stop... no new elements near his cage at all, there shouldn’t be anything new to be agitated about... losing my mind here

Have you tried covering the bird cage for a short time?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

Ahhhh mah Gawd! :3:

One of those is my eventual dream bird, because every one I've ever been around just acts like a giant sized cockatiel.

Here is a baby I met that was purchased by a family of four before I left the store.

this photo is from about 10 years ago but here is me and some wild galahs:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Late post but I wanted to add that I'm glad to hear you're sticking around, Captain. That's fantastic news and I enjoy your posting, here and in the other threads I've spotted you. Glad you're a wholesome person and you'll be staying with us, your family and Serra for hopefully a long time.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon

mikerock posted:

Have you tried covering the bird cage for a short time?

Barely, it worked a couple of days ago (he started singing to himself under the cover), but not yesterday. He just continues to scream and yell... however, today he’s suddenly transformed back into a social saint. Serenading us and hanging out on our shoulders and knees... we’ll try covering him again the next time he gets in a fay mood (hopefully not tomorrow...)

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Nap time was 100% required for our budgies, they'd get real ornery mid-afternoon unless we moved their cages away from the windows and partially covered them for an hour or so. If you were late for nap time, the squawking would only grow in volume.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Chaosfeather posted:

Late post but I wanted to add that I'm glad to hear you're sticking around, Captain. That's fantastic news and I enjoy your posting, here and in the other threads I've spotted you. Glad you're a wholesome person and you'll be staying with us, your family and Serra for hopefully a long time.

:respek: Thank you kindly. :downs:

Screaming derp - How old is the bird?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

redgubbinz posted:

Nap time was 100% required for our budgies, they'd get real ornery mid-afternoon unless we moved their cages away from the windows and partially covered them for an hour or so. If you were late for nap time, the squawking would only grow in volume.

Yeah, I have noticed somewhere around noon-2, Trev gets REALLY quiet, and if I can turn my head to see him quietly enough, I can see him snoozing under his squiddy. He will stay pretty quiet for a good 30 mins or so. It's pretty much daily that he does this too.

Cricket just cuddles under my hair and zones around that same time...so I guess it must be a general Nap Time for little birds.../shrug

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Birds sleep a lot, I find. That midday nap is essential.

Ozzy is very particular about bedtime around five. He rarely goes to sleep right away, but he's insistent about being tucked in under the sheet. It's starting to get dark earlier and I'm having trouble with him demanding bed at like, three thirty lately. No.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

Birds sleep a lot, I find. That midday nap is essential.

Ozzy is very particular about bedtime around five. He rarely goes to sleep right away, but he's insistent about being tucked in under the sheet. It's starting to get dark earlier and I'm having trouble with him demanding bed at like, three thirty lately. No.

Oh yeah...around 5 pm mine start going into "Sweet Birdie Dreams" and "Night night" repetitions. I start getting them ready about 5:40 and they are in bed and covered by 6 pm. Cricket is pretty much out like a light, and won't say a word other than to occasionally mumble "NOT OK" at Trevor, and Trev will practice all his words over and over and over for about 2 hours while covered up. Then he is totally silent except for a few sleepy "You a sweet Birdie" "Ahchoo, bless you" and so on.

But they definitely start hollering for bedtime by late afternoon, early evening. They do start mentioning Sweet Birdie Dreams about 2-4 pm but I just tell them it's not birdie sleep time yet but they can go nap under their squiddies if they need to. They never do lol

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Saw this on Twitter and figured this thread might also appreciate it :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/ParrotOfTheDay/status/1186171729883697152

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tendai posted:

Saw this on Twitter and figured this thread might also appreciate it :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/ParrotOfTheDay/status/1186171729883697152

This is excellent - I love the way he's free to just roam around the whole town and hang out with his friends / annoy people :3:

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

Muldoon
Someone’s in a better mood:

http://i.imgur.com/gz4Ck1G.mp4

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://gfycat.com/CleanBronzeAlbino-mobile.mp4

I'm ded.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm working hard on getting Sinbad to say "doot doot doo" like that bird. He cocks his head at attention every time I do it so I think progress is being made.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Finally was able to find a semi-permanent home, so I was able to pick up Pippin and Coco from my friend’s house. I had been visiting as regularly as my health allowed, but couldn’t take Pippin out because my friend fosters dogs and cats and I just didn’t trust he’d be safe.

Anyways, I was afraid he’d be mad and nippy with me, as green cheeks can be. However, he has been super sweet and cuddly. Safe to say he missed me just as much as I missed him. He wouldn’t stop kissing me and then just cuddled up to my cheek. Feeling the birb love!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

holy :kimchi:

bird + other animal friendships are always too cute. There are quite a few cat/budgie pairs out there!