Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Grouchio posted:

Now why did the NDP perform poorly as progressives?

canada is full of dumb white people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Canada elects first BLACK prime minister

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

Canada elects first BLACK prime minister
Everbrown content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyAMOsyyvfw&t=4s

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Pharmacare would rule. I don't want to live in a country where people have to worry about medication. I'd love vision care as well but being able to see well is secondary.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Having our handsome empty suit not having a majority and his best chance being NDP/Green support outside Quebec is in some ways the best outcome could realistically exist.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Nine of Eight posted:

This is dumb as hell, but Lowtax’s spine isn’t gonna fix itself:

I’m gonna :toxx: that the Bloq Quebecois will end up with more seats than the NDP.

Since I won, an account + plat + archives comes down to 35$ USD or about 40$ CAD. I also have an avatar, but gently caress you, I won.
(Charity receipt was here)

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 22, 2019

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Grouchio posted:

Now why did the NDP perform poorly as progressives? The libs resemble Bidenites to me.

What the hell is a Bidenite? Joe Biden is not a recognizable political system.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Grouchio posted:

Now why did the NDP perform poorly as progressives? The libs resemble Bidenites to me.

Do your own loving homework dumbshit.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

let's give it up for strategic voting

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
they won because obviiously the Bloq has better progressive policies. that's why the Bloq does better over all for labour across canada.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

well more than anything I think the biggest takeaway from tonight is: this is really good news for Vancouver's skytrain. Trudeaus gonna want Van-Gran back. How does he get that in a minority parliament? With lots and lots of pork, approximately 3.3-3.8 billion dollars worth of pork in this case

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 22, 2019

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

edit: nevermind

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

EvilJoven posted:

Pharmacare would rule. I don't want to live in a country where people have to worry about medication. I'd love vision care as well but being able to see well is secondary.

I'm literally hoping I have the money to cover my mom's blood pressure meds in a few days, but I'm not certain that I do, even having saved 1/10th of my income for the last month for this purpose.

Yeah, pharmacare would be nice. Denta(l?)care would be...pretty great, too.

edit: haha, my bad at misreading your post. See, my glasses literally broke for no reason one day a couple of weeks ago, so I need to try to find some money to get a new pair next month, too. Really, I'm not making this up.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 22, 2019

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Juul-Whip posted:

well more than anything I think the biggest takeaway from tonight is: this is really good news for Vancouver's skytrain. Trudeaus gonna want Van-Gran and Van-Quad back. How does he get that in a minority parliament? With lots and lots of pork, approximately 3.3-3.8 billion dollars worth of pork in this case

and

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

EvilJoven posted:

The Libs aren't going to implement PR because the ever present threat of a CPC government is useful to them.

Oh I know, I was just responding to the 'fptp saved us from a conservative government!!!' people

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord
My poor Ralphie. Sorry, dude, I did my part.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Juul-Whip posted:

well more than anything I think the biggest takeaway from tonight is: this is really good news for Vancouver's skytrain. Trudeaus gonna want Van-Gran back. How does he get that in a minority parliament? With lots and lots of pork, approximately 3.3-3.8 billion dollars worth of pork in this case

speaking as an American pork is unironically vastly superior to the alternative

do not abolish random-rear end earmark nonsense spending

you will regret it, mark my words

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

no it's great. I love trains

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

i can still taste him posted:

My poor Ralphie. Sorry, dude, I did my part.

Yeah ☹️ . Won’t stop the Sask Party from blaming the LPC for everything though

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

eXXon posted:

I think Trudeau learned a lesson tonight.

More pipelines.

I mean, you jest, but it kinda bodes ill for the country that the Prairies have effectively turned into one-issue voters, and that issue is being pro burning the planet down.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

lmao Canada

if Trudeau doesn't go full force on implementing PR now then I swear to God he's the biggest loving moron in the world

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nine of Eight posted:

Since I won, an account + plat + archives comes down to 35$ USD or about 40$ CAD. I also have an avatar, but gently caress you, I won.

Congrats.

I strongly suggest you edit out your postal code though, unless you're real comfortable being IRL identifiable here.

Grouchio posted:

Because Canadians in general are not that progressive, and because under FPTP the Liberals are able to effectively use the threat of a Conservative government to drive people to vote Liberal in otherwise progressive ridings. Also their vote distribution sucks.

e: And Quebec evidently will not vote for a party led by a man named Singh, although presumably the turban was not an issue

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 22, 2019

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Venomous posted:

lmao Canada

if Trudeau doesn't go full force on implementing PR now then I swear to God he's the biggest loving moron in the world
Why would he? This election showed him that keeping FPTP was the right move. Under PR the Liberals would have had a smaller number of seats.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Venomous posted:

lmao Canada

This result is exactly why they didn't implement PR.

They were also never going to implement PR. They wanted IRV and they passed around a garbage nonbinding survey to try and show support for it, and when that failed they gave up.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
My wife's medication is 22k a year, which I'm lucky to have covered at 100%. If we didn't have the benefits we do, that could easily be crippling. Even having a 20% copay would be difficult.

I wonder what has to happen in your brain to look at that scenario and be content with it?
"Hrm yes.. if my wife had a poo poo job or were poor, she would be damned to becoming a twisted cripple invalid in the next ten years. Then again if she were a poor that means she didn't choose me (super successful ALPHA MALE) and is a dirty slut who deserves her comeuppance"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

I mean, as someone who'd probably useless without glasses I'm not entirely sure I agree, but on the other hand you can probably get by on an old glasses prescription more then people can go without meds.

mcbagpipes
Apr 17, 2010
Wow there are some nasty people out there. If they even come out with a bit of universal pharmacy, dental, drug care programs it is FTW

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

Why would he? This election showed him that keeping FPTP was the right move. Under PR the Liberals would have had a smaller number of seats.

infernal machines posted:

This result is exactly why they didn't implement PR.

They were also never going to implement PR. They wanted IRV and they passed around a garbage nonbinding survey to try and show support for it, and when that failed they gave up.

lmao, both of these are fair points and holy poo poo liberalism is the absolute worst

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Morning after I'm pretty pleased with this result. A Lib minority that can pass bills with either the NDP or the BQ is about as good as we could have hoped for, and I'm hoping the Cons stay in full-on Trudeau Derangement Syndrome status (especially after winning the popular vote) and refuse to work with him so he can't pass right-wing stuff instead.

Also a conservative guy I know in Kitchener-Conestoga is blaming their loss there on vote-splitting to the PPC because the Liberal is winning by like 250 votes while the PPC took in like 750 (the NDP and Greens each took like 5,000) which is just delicious.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Oh, also I went to bed before the speeches, did Scheer jump or is he waiting to get pushed?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

It's really pretty gross how the Liberals were rewarded for breaking their promise to implement proportional representation. PR isn't some panacea, but it would have been a baby step that would have made further reforms that much easier to pass. Still a Liberal minority propped up by the NDP is probably the 2nd best result possible under fptp, with a NDP sweep and the Liberals losing official part status being ideal.

An important question going forward is how to prevent the Ontario Liberals from resurrecting themselves. I don't think there are any additional Trudeaus interested in becoming party leaders.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Libs are leading in my riding by 273 votes and elections Canada is wondering what is taking so long to finish counting.. lmao

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Oh, also I went to bed before the speeches, did Scheer jump or is he waiting to get pushed?

He just reduced the Liberals to a minority. Surely he isn't jumping.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

It's really pretty gross how the Liberals were rewarded for breaking their promise to implement proportional representation. PR isn't some panacea, but it would have been a baby step that would have made further reforms that much easier to pass. Still a Liberal minority propped up by the NDP is probably the 2nd best result possible under fptp, with a NDP sweep and the Liberals losing official part status being ideal.

An important question going forward is how to prevent the Ontario Liberals from resurrecting themselves. I don't think there are any additional Trudeaus interested in becoming party leaders.

They've already resurrected themselves, as far back as May they're already polling in majority territory because Ford is so unpopular:

https://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/ford-pc-support-collapses-while-liberal-voters-prefer-tory-as-their-leader/

And the Trudeau that could ride in on a white horse to save them is... John Tory lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Venomous posted:

He just reduced the Liberals to a minority. Surely he isn't jumping.

He didn't win and the Cons really, really hate Trudeau, he's gone one way or another.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I woke up frustrated with the amount of 'the West is left out! the West is alienated!' I heard on the news before bed.

To agree with Andy Coyne, this was a winnable election for the conservatives. All they needed was credible lip service to address climate change in their platform. They didn't do it, and everywhere that doesn't rely on oil and gas rejected them for it.

So gently caress that alienation/west left out bullshit. It isn't true and I'm going to push back every chance I get.

You can't reject climate change and wonder why no one elected you, just like you can't sit alone in the corner at a party and complain that non one's talking to you.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

PR is just as bad for vote splitting as FPTP unless you implement something like STV

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, you jest, but it kinda bodes ill for the country that the Prairies have effectively turned into one-issue voters, and that issue is being pro burning the planet down.

It's disappointing, yes, but it cuts both ways - there's not enough support for burning everything to the ground in the rest of the country to get the Conservatives another government unless the other parties gently caress up badly. And hopefully the other parties noticed that muh pipelines isn't winning them a goddamn thing in the Prairies.

Fart Amplifier posted:

PR is just as bad for vote splitting as FPTP unless you implement something like STV

... uh, what?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 22, 2019

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

Just use the New Zealand system. If people try to complain it's too complicated ask them why they think Canadians are less intelligent than other members of the commonwealth.

vyelkin posted:

They've already resurrected themselves...

Bah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

eXXon posted:

... uh, what?

Proportional representation itself is not very good unless you use ranked voting or something because vote splitting still occurs