Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I miss Brendon, and MoMA, and the Nazi. But mostly Brankon

quality snipe! suck my oval office taxhavers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
I miss the balls guy

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

SomethingJones was cool too, but the project broke his mind :saddowns:

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

trucutru posted:

I miss Brendon, and MoMA, and the Nazi. But mostly Brankon

quality snipe! suck my oval office taxhavers!

Yeah I want a hot take from Merlin about how the addition of caves pushes Star Citizen further along towards being the greatest space combat sim ever. I wonder if he added a panel of controls for spelunking to his Star Citizen simpit.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

colonelwest posted:

Yeah I want a hot take from Merlin about how the addition of caves pushes Star Citizen further along towards being the greatest space combat sim ever. I wonder if he added a panel of controls for spelunking to his Star Citizen simpit.

merlin was just a dumb troll. he never took a stance beyond "well it's fun to me" or "well it's better than ed now to me". he was boring and im glad he's gone.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I usually watch Lirik since he's a variety streamer and I like his humor. To be honest I can't believe he was streaming star citizen today, obtuse UIs and stuff is usually not his thing. I think it helps that anytime he has streamed it before a bunch of people have invited him onto the fanciest ships. I wonder if he'll realize that the only gameplay he's done for hours is flying around and occasionally crashing like when he tried to land at hurston today or whatever.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It's funny when you think that the only person who should be blowing thousands on star citizen, a rich streamer, isnt.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1186409563844567040

"Official." As in, not picking the nearest bar next to a convention we weren't attending.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Dementropy posted:

"Official." As in, not picking the nearest bar next to a convention we weren't attending.

Citizencon- finally a convention CIG is allowed to attend!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Quavers posted:

SomethingJones was cool too, but the project broke his mind :saddowns:

His transcripts were some of my favorite reads on this site. Alas; he fell, staring into the abyss for our amusement.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

His transcripts were some of my favorite reads on this site. Alas; he fell, staring into the abyss for our amusement.

He was the Chris-whisperer, capable of understanding his mumbling as nobody else.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

SoftNum posted:

merlin was just a dumb troll. he never took a stance beyond "well it's fun to me" or "well it's better than ed now to me". he was boring and im glad he's gone.

His apologies for the Nazis were weird.

JugbandDude posted:

I actually prefer Squadron 54, it's original at least.

So Squadron 54, eh?
Will it include working doors?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dogeh posted:

His apologies for the Nazis were weird.

Those were the most interesting posts he made, imo. Way off topic, but more interesting than "actually star citizen is good if you ask me"

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

XK posted:

I can't believe Spoony is still active.

His website finally died a month or two ago, but he still haunts twitter.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

Those were the most interesting posts he made, imo. Way off topic, but more interesting than "actually star citizen is good if you ask me"

I honestly had fun taring apart his Wehraboo “Clean Wehrmacht” nonsense.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 22, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nemo2342 posted:

His website finally died a month or two ago, but he still haunts twitter.

Last i recall he still collects his patreon welfare

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I have a question: since funding per backer is increasing, which means more backers are starting with higher pledges or whales are shoveling more in.

What this does is make me curious about a graph of backers over time. I want to see how this looks compared to funding over time.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1184049677404114944?s=20

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1184455637998166016?s=20

??????????????????

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 22, 2019

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Liam isn't working on Game of Thrones any more, so he needs a hobby.
Apparently marketing is that new hobby.
Who knew?

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

So I have a question: since funding per backer is increasing, which means more backers are starting with higher pledges or whales are shoveling more in.

What this does is make me curious about a graph of backers over time. I want to see how this looks compared to funding over time.

Are you also thinking that maybe the reason the funding per backer is increasing is because all the casual backers have been given refunds and stricken from the records?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Last i recall he still collects his patreon welfare

Looks that way. He hasn't posted on Patreon in over 3 years, but he's still getting $371 a month, presumably as some form of charity.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Christ, they must really have a problem even finding bodies. Not even talent, I'm talking people just to fill seats.

You know, like Lando.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

SomethingJones hard at work translating Citizen Speak.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I hope they get their ai programmers I really want them to finish that bartender

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Using big star names to market yourself to development employees is some galaxy brain poo poo: "Come code for us! You don't want Ser Davos Seaworth to be disappoint in you now!"

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iospace posted:

What it means is Star Citizen is now good.

Buy an Idris.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Seems that the plan to have the NPCs develop their own AI by CInotG layering fidelity on dreams, and pasting it with Crobbear's magic source code didn't go that well.

Drunk Theory posted:

Christ, they must really have a problem even finding bodies. Not even talent, I'm talking people just to fill seats.

You know, like Lando.

How dare you. Lando is a developer and has been since he decided that he could just say that he is and that should be enough.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:cry: Hey! Derek Smart was right (after I was)! :negative:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Quavers posted:

:cry: Hey! Derek Smart was right (after I was)! :negative:
I am cringing so hard it physically hurts.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

I can't believe Spoony is still active.

His... critique... video of the Wing Commander movie was really good.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

Here you go, someone tracks it over the years (though it's not number of backers, you'll have to estimate there from number of RSI accounts): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Here you go, someone tracks it over the years (though it's not number of backers, you'll have to estimate there from number of RSI accounts): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

F'ing Unbelievable.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The really unbelievable part is that, in spite of all that, they're still operating at a loss.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Terminally Bored posted:

Eurogamer/Digital Foundry is advertising SC now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OngP6uEfQoE

I love the way they explain the 32 v 64 bit precision. You can see the jankiness clearly as you move away from zero. Overly simple but clear

It's true that using 64 bit would allow you to take your map size in the engine from like 32km up to like 3 or 4 million KMs. Its massive increase in precision.

But CIG in there sage wisdom took this to like 500 million KMs and when they bounced of the limits of the new 64 bit engine they had the even brighter idea of scaling everything down by factor of 10 or 100 or what ever to make all fit in.

Which is utterly retarded as the same problem exists, you can't just scale down to get away from the problem. The points are all jank and not accurately rounded they move around from there intended position more and more the smaller you go. If you could just scale down to victory why not just scale everything down inside your 32km map?

I think it's the basic lack of understanding that explains everything.

Why do I clip through the floor? The floor has moved from its position because cig don't understand math.

Why do the NPC's hover above the the ground, because the two meshes have janked away with some absurd rounding errors.

Why can I live through massive collisions but die from a walk down a gentle grade. Well depending on your rounding error that gentle grade could be quiet the fall, and maybe you hit nothing at all in that big crash..

Just think of trying to determine if that janky sphere hit another janky sphere while there dimensions change randomly with every mm moved... the outcome is star citizen, with a 100 threads of my box won't stay in my ship... Why cannot fix?

Because think about trying to unfuck that small issue of scale...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Tippis posted:

The really unbelievable part is that, in spite of all that, they're still operating at a loss.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

I suspect that small scale issue played a large part in the 3.0 drought.. look it's all here !! Wait it dosent fit just hang on while I go fix all the assets, code and item values for a world that is 42.6867965856 smaller than before.

Lets not forget this is all to keep the empty void between places to "scale" the place where no one wants to be that has like zero gameplay.... Other than being stranded having long period pointless wait ..oh it's star citizen waiting is all there is.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Star Citizen is good <new user/low self-esteem>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Oh penny CIG don't cheat they wanted a true to life simulation...

Scaling the unvirse to suit isn't cheating ? Having all your ships no clip because centre of mass is hard isn't cheating? gently caress off

It makes me angry they could have just slowed down the jump travel the game would have still felt hystericaly large, still endless opertunitities to park in the void. Just have to deviate from CIGs track record of producing lots of nothing.