Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Fhistleb posted:

Where is a good place to get some CEU's for my Sec +?

ICS-Cert VLP has about 15 hours worth of courses for free that are pre-approved for CompTIA CEU's:

https://ics-cert-training.inl.gov/learn

https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/downloadablefiles/icscertv1.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh CEUs, probably something I should have started paying attention to a couple years ago. I have the A+, Net+, Sec+, and would like to keep them up to date for the ol' future job searching. I have one more year left until expiration.

Anyone done the CySA+? I'm thinking of getting it mainly to renew all three, especially if I can talk work into paying for it. Looks like more nitpicky CompTIA terminology regurgitation, so I'm thinking I should be able to hammer out the cramming for it in a couple months at this point in my so called career.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
You might be somewhere that requires you to maintain your certifications, but if not, it is pretty common to just list the certification you got and the year you got it and not bother to renew it.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

zharmad posted:

ICS-Cert VLP has about 15 hours worth of courses for free that are pre-approved for CompTIA CEU's:

https://ics-cert-training.inl.gov/learn

https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/downloadablefiles/icscertv1.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Thanks man!

working as a contractor for the government requires I maintain the ceu's. Its a racket I tell ya, A RACKET!!! :shepspends:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Passed the 220-1001 pretty easily but I forgot how obtuse some of the questions are on these CompTIA certs. Like, the wording is just so odd. How does the second part compare to the first?

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Fhistleb posted:

Thanks man!

working as a contractor for the government requires I maintain the ceu's. Its a racket I tell ya, A RACKET!!! :shepspends:

I'm in the same boat, never converted my A+ and Net+ to the CE because I thought it was just a cash grab, then got back into contracting in 2017 and got my Sec+ so now I have to maintain it to keep employed.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Humble Bundle has some study guides for cheap at the moment.

Related; I've been considering picking up a few certs just to bolster my CV a bit. Would I be right that it's a complete waste of money if I don't strictly need them for my job market? I hear the industry's got more rackets than wimbledon.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Jaded Burnout posted:

Related; I've been considering picking up a few certs just to bolster my CV a bit. Would I be right that it's a complete waste of money if I don't strictly need them for my job market? I hear the industry's got more rackets than wimbledon.

Your company should pay for the training certs. Value added depends on what your resume currently looks like (experience), which certs you’re planning to take and what kind of job you have / want to have in the future.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

Your company should pay for the training certs. Value added depends on what your resume currently looks like (experience), which certs you’re planning to take and what kind of job you have / want to have in the future.

I own the company, is what makes it a little trickier. It's something of a zero sum game when it comes to business expenses, tax notwithstanding.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jaded Burnout posted:

I started reading the comptia a+ ones on a whim and seems decent if not a bit too dry, the Cisco ones have a very short shelf life(after feb they have limited if no value).

Certs are situational(public sector loves them, private cares little about them) but are good resume fodder if you don’t have much experience to fill the previous jobs page.

On a related note packt is letting everyone read their catalog for free. The video courses are done via html5 with no restrictions on downloading, so you might stock on some topics you might want to cert on.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

Certs are situational(public sector loves them, private cares little about them) but are good resume fodder if you don’t have much experience to fill the previous jobs page.

Sounds like it's not for me then. Thanks :)

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Can anyone tell me how to fix Packet Tracer cutting off the labels for connections? It still looks like this even if I move things around.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Fhistleb posted:

Thanks man!

If you have access to "Cyber Security Fundamentals Formerly known as (IAF)" it is worth 40 CE and takes ten minutes to knock out if you are a DoD employee.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Cyks posted:

If you have access to "Cyber Security Fundamentals Formerly known as (IAF)" it is worth 40 CE and takes ten minutes to knock out if you are a DoD employee.

Its actually not on the pre-approved list anymore, they took it off in May. They still may accept it, who knows.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Hi uh, long time reader first-time poster. First, some background. I worked as a field technician/installer for a cable company for a number of years before making the leap to a great help desk position recently for a decently sized software company with government contracts. I've been working the HD for about 6 months now and was moved into a role that focuses on managing our VPN tunnels using ASDM [literally just using it to log tunnels out and rebuilding as needed] and other connections to various field locations. For the majority of the field locations due to remoteness, it's mostly satellite and cellular connections which is a huge pain the rear end but my made my RF experience very handy. We are moving away from Sonicwall's to Cradlepoints for the majority of the field locations this winter. Are there any CP specific certs that exist? The majority of monitoring I do is using PRTG (our systems guy who set it all up left so we are moving towards another solution soon I believe)

I'm currently studying for my N+, I had begun working on the CCENT prior to getting this job but felt I wasn't going to make the deadline by February so I've started to focus on the N+. The company is paying for my exam and a Pluralsite subscription which is great and am feeling really prepared for it. I still intend to get my CCNA at some point but is it sound to just focus on the N+ and get that until the certacalypse happens in February? Should I keep studying CCENT stuff using P-site and Wendell Odems book? For a lab setup, I was able to score a free 1811 and Cat-2950 are those workable for labs in 2019?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

I started reading the comptia a+ ones on a whim and seems decent if not a bit too dry, the Cisco ones have a very short shelf life(after feb they have limited if no value).
What is happening in feb? My guess is the test gets updated but I imagine the bulk of the content would be the same.

SlowBloke posted:

Coworkers were having a discussion along similar lines as this but for degrees. I'm curious if the public/private sector applies to that as well.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

CampingCarl posted:

What is happening in feb? My guess is the test gets updated but I imagine the bulk of the content would be the same.

The CCENT will no longer exist in February, only the CCNA, which is being changed also include topics from CCNA Security and CCNA Wireless, tests that are also being removed. It's going to be a hell of a lot harder from what I understand.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CampingCarl posted:

All the tests are changing. Not just the content, but the entire Cisco cert landscape.

In a nutshell, CCENT is going away, CCNA becomes one test. All of the specialized CCNA tests are going away. CCNP becomes two tests, and all those focused tests from CCNA are now CCNP exams instead. The CCNP R&S is now called CCNP Enterprise. The first test is the equivalent to Routing and Switching combined into one, and the second test is a concentration exam where you get your choice of 6 options. Also, CCNA is no longer a pre-requisite to CCNP.

Basically they're embracing CCNA being the entry to the Cisco Certs, allowing you to use NP to dive into more focused topics.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Network Chuck or whatever the beardo guys name is on youtube has a good breakdown of the changes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

CampingCarl posted:

Coworkers were having a discussion along similar lines as this but for degrees. I'm curious if the public/private sector applies to that as well.
Since I only have a high school degree and no higher ed(uni) degree, I’m barred from any jobs higher than computer janitor in my public sector workplace. Certs will get you some extra points but degrees will give you real advantages in the public sector.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sixfools posted:

We are moving away from Sonicwall's to Cradlepoints for the majority of the field locations this winter. Are there any CP specific certs that exist?

Should I keep studying CCENT stuff using P-site and Wendell Odems book? For a lab setup, I was able to score a free 1811 and Cat-2950 are those workable for labs in 2019?

I work quite a bit with Cradlepoints, as far as I know there are no carts specifically for them. They do have some online training available on their site but there’s not a whole lot, at least in my experience to them. They are great devices though.

Keep studying for the CCENT. Stuff like subnetting, basic IPv4 knowledge, spanning tree, trunking, VLAN configuration, etc will never go away. Keep studying and just pick up the new books when they come out to see what new material there is.

SlowBloke posted:

Since I only have a high school degree and no higher ed(uni) degree, I’m barred from any jobs higher than computer janitor in my public sector workplace. Certs will get you some extra points but degrees will give you real advantages in the public sector.

I work in the public sector and have no degree. All I’ve ever had is certs and work experience. It will 100% not hold you back from going as far as you want in a technical role. The only time I’ve ever seen a lack of degree hold someone back is if you’re trying to make a switch to IT management. Otherwise get certs, gain experience, and go as far as you want.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I work in the public sector and have no degree. All I’ve ever had is certs and work experience. It will 100% not hold you back from going as far as you want in a technical role. The only time I’ve ever seen a lack of degree hold someone back is if you’re trying to make a switch to IT management. Otherwise get certs, gain experience, and go as far as you want.

The next job rank from my base computer toucher position requires a three year university degree, hard requirement, written in both my workplace and the national contract. No way to escape it. Welcome to :italy:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

The next job rank from my base computer toucher position requires a three year university degree, hard requirement, written in both my workplace and the national contract. No way to escape it. Welcome to :italy:

Education sector is completely different than the public sector. Of course working for a university they want you to have a college degree.

Keep at it and start applying in other places while you can. It wont happen overnight but if you're not a mouthbreather you'll get out of help desk sooner or later. Good luck.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
my CISSP books arrived today, i need something to help me break out of my dead-end IT job into a slightly less dead-end IT job, wish me luck.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here take the AZ-300? If so, did you take the AZ-100 before it? I'm looking at the 300 as my next cert target and was curious what the 300 focused on that the 100 didn't so I could ensure I get the right studying and practice in. I'm a full-time Azure guy, FWIW, but I haven't used each and every single resource out there (who has, really?).

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

I passed the A+ this summer and I just landed my first job outside of the direct care/group home support industry. It's a local chain of really cool computer parts stores, and even though it's an hour long commute it brings me all that close to Cleveland. It was the first and only company to respond to my application. I'll be making 50% more per hour than I ever have, with benefits and paid certifications.

I interview really well, and seemed to impress the interviewer. When I came back a week later for the final interview, I learned that the first guy I met with had passed away over the weekend. It was surreal to say the least.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Sixfools posted:

I worked as a field technician/installer for a cable company for a number of years before making the leap

Funny hearing that. I was a cable tech for about ten years before I landed a job with one of our construction contracting companies. How did you find the RF knowledge useful in your new gig? I have a strong working knowledge of DOCSIS, RFOG and a lot of other systems in place in modern cable companies but it always felt very... proprietary? Like it’d be generally useless if you aren’t working for a cable company or ISP.

I dropped out of college years ago after getting an AA in general studies, but have been looking at SNHU’s Information Technology degrees lately and thought about trying my hand at it with the tuition reimbursement available to me. They also accept A+, Security+ and Network+ as replacements for a few classes so I will likely begin studying soon and knock those out to get a jump on it so even if I don’t finish the degree I’ll have something of substance for a possible career change.

Has anyone here done Google’s IT cert program? It seems decent but way underrepresented compared to CompTIA and it is also accepted for transfer credits. At a glance the structure of it seems more user friendly since they handle all of it, rather than having to seek out your own study materials like you do with A+ and such, but if no companies really care about it I doubt it’s worth doing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Look at WGU. Probably less expensive than SNHU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ClumsyThief posted:

Funny hearing that. I was a cable tech for about ten years before I landed a job with one of our construction contracting companies. How did you find the RF knowledge useful in your new gig? I have a strong working knowledge of DOCSIS, RFOG and a lot of other systems in place in modern cable companies but it always felt very... proprietary? Like it’d be generally useless if you aren’t working for a cable company or ISP.

I dropped out of college years ago after getting an AA in general studies, but have been looking at SNHU’s Information Technology degrees lately and thought about trying my hand at it with the tuition reimbursement available to me. They also accept A+, Security+ and Network+ as replacements for a few classes so I will likely begin studying soon and knock those out to get a jump on it so even if I don’t finish the degree I’ll have something of substance for a possible career change.

Has anyone here done Google’s IT cert program? It seems decent but way underrepresented compared to CompTIA and it is also accepted for transfer credits. At a glance the structure of it seems more user friendly since they handle all of it, rather than having to seek out your own study materials like you do with A+ and such, but if no companies really care about it I doubt it’s worth doing.

It appears to be, from a practical standpoint, very useful to dip your toes and get an introductory wide range of skills. You could honestly use it to grab other, more well known certs, with minimal extra studying and you'd still have the other knowledge that you gained for minimal cost in the long run.

I'm not sure how well recognized it is yet, or if it will be, nor do I know how well the knowledge/skills you gain from it transfer, but it appears, at a surface level, to give you a wide array of generalized skills that can 1) help you decide the direction you want to go and 2) Understand disciplines/technology that you do not specialize in at a high level very early on.

#2 is useful and will continue to be useful throughout your career. I'm not a network engineer, but the fact that I understand networking a hell of a lot more than a traditional Windows admin/engineer is extremely invaluable because I know what is possible (even if I can't explicitly implement it) and I can talk in-depth to network teams so we can work as a group/partnership. I've run into so many folks that can't do this; some of the most egregious have been network guys who have zero clue how the OS actually works so they will make outrageous demands, or when confronted with a task from windows/infra teams, will attempt to push back and make it 500% harder for those folks to do what they need when the network guy could make a quick 2 line config change and save all the hassle. This helps give you a lot of leeway/pull because it helps people to connect/relate with you, in turn making your life a lot easier.

I have neither taken nor studied for these certs, so I could be way off-base, but Google has a decent rep so I'm giving them benefit of the doubt that these certs are actually more useful in a practical sense than something like the A+

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

MF_James posted:

I have neither taken nor studied for these certs, so I could be way off-base, but Google has a decent rep so I'm giving them benefit of the doubt that these certs are actually more useful in a practical sense than something like the A+

They’ve got a 7-day free trial so I’m going to at least do the first few modules and see how it looks. After that it’s $50/m through Coursera and you move as quickly as you’d like, so I’ll at least give it a whirl since it sounds pretty economical.

skipdogg posted:

Look at WGU. Probably less expensive than SNHU

Any particular selling point to WGU over SNHU besides cost? The money isn’t really a concern as I’ll be fully reimbursed at work anyways. I’ve already confirmed I can transfer most of my gen ed credits to them towards a bachelor’s program.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

ClumsyThief posted:

They’ve got a 7-day free trial so I’m going to at least do the first few modules and see how it looks. After that it’s $50/m through Coursera and you move as quickly as you’d like, so I’ll at least give it a whirl since it sounds pretty economical.

Any particular selling point to WGU over SNHU besides cost? The money isn’t really a concern as I’ll be fully reimbursed at work anyways. I’ve already confirmed I can transfer most of my gen ed credits to them towards a bachelor’s program.

This pros and cons list from reddit summarizes things pretty well. Thing with WGU is you can graduate really loving fast if you have experience in your field of study.

edit: If you're already thinking about getting A+, Net+, and Security+ certs, they're part of the curriculum for most of the WGU IT degrees. I don't know if SNHU does that.

Reddit posted:

**WGU:**

Pros:

- Can complete a Bachelors as fast as you mentally and physically are capable of. Some people have finished an entire Bachelors in 6 months. This can save a lot of money.

- Already cheaper from the start. Not only can you pass it as fast as you can but it's already cheaper per year.

- Seems more respected. I know people aren't too happy about SNHU's marketing campaign.

- Classes start the 1st of every month so you can basically drop it anytime of the year.

Cons:

- Harder to get into. They want a college Math and English completed before they will accept you.

- Maybe not as "respected" by employers as by students. If employers are noticing students graduating with a Bachelors in under a year, they're going to question the legitimacy of the program.

- Focused more for people who already have a career going. It's not really pointed for people who are straight out of high school but more for people who just need that piece of paper.

**SNHU:**

Pros:

- Aimed for people who are going to college the first time. They don't require any transcripts to get in.

- Way more choices on degrees.

- More "traditional" experience. They have a set schedule for classes almost like a physical university. You can't fast forward a degree. This is a pro for me because they have deadlines. I don't think I would work well with open ended classes.

Cons:

- More expensive. I think it's almost double the cost per year.

- Marketing campaign may turn off employers. The commercials have such a "University of Phoenix" vibe even though they are not on the same level at all.

- No education bachelors degree. This isn't a con for me personally but I feel like WGU gets a thumbs up for their education degree.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 13, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ClumsyThief posted:

I went though WGU and graduated last year with a IT Security Bachelors (program has changed since I think). It's not just the cost but the acceleration. Some of the classes I already knew I knocked out in 2 weeks while the longer classes like networking took me 8-12 weeks. The whole program took me 18 months at a moderate pace. They also charge by 6-month term, not by class. So you if you finish 3 classes or 6 classes in those 6 months, it's the same cost. If you're accelerating this can save time and money.

WGU does not have "freshmen" or "sophmore" students, meaning they only accept transfers in. You need to have either some relevant work experience or some previous education experience. They are geared towards working adults looking to complete a degree they already started so if you have no relevant experience you won't be accepted in.

At WGU the certs are part of you course. Think of them as the final exam for your course. The class prepares you for the test, the vouchers are included as part of the tuition, and to pass the class you pass the cert exam. You have up to 3 tries as well.

I looked at SNHU as well but just didn't see any advantage over WGU where I wanted to pay more and take longer. The degree seems well respected enough that every school I applied for Master's programs with like Georgia Tech and U of Maryland accepted it for their programs (ended up not going though).

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 13, 2019

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll see about speaking to one of the WGU enrollment people this week since it doesn’t hurt to get some answers and the built-in certs sound attractive. I think SNHU only accepts them as transfer credits.

The work experience thing sounds like a hurdle depending on how high they set that bar, though. I manage telcom construction now, and it’d be a stretch to believe anyone would consider installing modems and basic VoIP systems as IT experience but who knows.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

ClumsyThief posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll see about speaking to one of the WGU enrollment people this week since it doesn’t hurt to get some answers and the built-in certs sound attractive. I think SNHU only accepts them as transfer credits.

The work experience thing sounds like a hurdle depending on how high they set that bar, though. I manage telcom construction now, and it’d be a stretch to believe anyone would consider installing modems and basic VoIP systems as IT experience but who knows.

I’m sure that will be just fine. On the very outside chance it isn’t, you can always just pick up one of the easier certifications that are on their acceptable list. I really don’t think it’ll be necessary though. The only proof they needed for my IT experience was my resume, so the bar is not high.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Passed 70-741 with 817, gently caress that test, bunch of poo poo I will never use.

70-742 scheduled Monday, should be easier, and yes I'm masochistic.

*edit*

Update: 70-742 not as bad as 70-741, though Pearson was having issues with Microsoft tests, so while the exam timer still had 70-80 minutes on it when I was done, the test took me 2.5-3 hours to actually complete because it kept freezing and crashing. 0/10 would not MCSA again.

Scheduled my 70-744, should have my MCSE by the end of the month, then a much needed break (and very large raise from work)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 21, 2019

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I finally decided it's time to recertify my CCNA. Life happened is the short story to how I let the cert lapse. So I paid 40 bucks for todd lammle's book. (I like having a physical book when I study). My carefree downtime days at work are done. I have until the 24th of feb to get this done. I expect it will be much easier this time since it's all just a refresher.

After that either CCNP R&S or CCNA cybersecurity will cross that bridge when I get there.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Hey guys, what are the go-to study materials for RHCSA?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
For RHCSA you really can't go wrong with Sander Van Vugt. He has a bunch of videos up on YouTube so you can try him out and see whether or not you like him.

His RHCSA 8 book is not yet released though. I don't think any of the reputable authors have one out yet.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I decided to just wait for the new CCNA test and do that.

So, this'll be the 3rd round of buying books for this loving thing lol. The Odom one came out the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Have started looking into getting a CCNA, and saw mentions of it being changed? Is it still the same information being tested?

Should I wait until the new guidelines are created before starting to study?