Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
If you owned a PC in the 80s and 90s, chances are very high you were familiar with this bad boy and/or any of his thousands of relatives:

At their peak, CDs and floppies like these were given out like candy. You couldn't pick up a remotely PC-related magazine without having a collection of random software and game shareware dropped into your lap. The quality on these compilations varied greatly, since they were often put together by more or less professional companies; you'd get anything from the likes of Doom all the way down to baby's first "PC optimizer" full of ads.

As a kid, I played the heck out of all the shareware CDs we got to get my fill of games. I could probably play the shareware episodes of Jazz Jackrabbit blindfolded at some point. Today, I'm still fascinated with shareware and all the forgotten nonsense that got slapped onto these disks.

Thanks to the wonderful (and donation-worthy!) efforts of Archive.org, you can find a big, handy collection of shareware CD ISOs online. I imagine this is kosher to post, since this stuff was always meant to be copied and shared, but I'll take it down if I asked to.

Post any thoughts/memories/findings about shareware here and make me feel a bit less alone in this :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm probably the same as you are with Jazz Jackrabbit, but with Jill of the Jungle. I played the first bit of that SO MUCH. That, Commander Keen, and the platformer Duke Nukem games hardly anyone remembers existed.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I used to buy PC Gamer and PC Zone back in the day, each month you'd get a CD-ROM chock full of demos and shareware with the odd freeware program thrown in for good measure.

I think my favourite demo to play was Microsoft Flight Simulator '98.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Was it true that the Quake shareware CD had the full game, along with all previous ID Software titles?

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Was it true that the Quake shareware CD had the full game, along with all previous ID Software titles?

Mine does, along with the full soundtrack by Nine Inch Nails.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

One version did. It was encrypted and the idea was you’d order a decryption code via phone order, but it turned out to be pretty easy to crack. This caused Id quite a few problems on top of the ones they already had (Romero’s sacking, their biz guy quitting, even the interns quit...) until the “proper” full version hit retail shelves and retailers binned the vulnerable disks en-masse.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

There definitely was at least one version, I seem to remember it being Windows based. You needed a CD key generator or crack I believe. All the full versions were on the disc so you could call in and order them and play right away.

edit: My Gravis Gamepad came with Commander Keen 4. But the joystick port we had only worked with 2 of the buttons, which sucked.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
When I was a kid our main PC was a Packard Bell Windows 3.1 machine into the year 2000 which means I could only dream about playing games that required Windows 95/98. I lived off the Gravis Game Pad demo CD and any PC Gamer demo discs I could get my hands on.

Jazz Jackrabbit, Hocus Pocus, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Epic Pinball, One Must Fall: 2097 etc. Huge nostalgia for that era of stuff.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I loaned so many PC magazines from the library, just to scour their demo CDs for games of any sort. Sometimes games had snuck themselves into the software folder, so it was worth checking out every nook and cranny.

It was nice imagining how the full games would be like. :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's some full versions of old shareware games that have since been freely released online by the rights holders. You'll want DOSbox for these, unless otherwise specified.

Alien Carnage
Bio-Menace
Boppin' (Windows port!)
Dark Ages
Death Rally (Windows port!)
Major Stryker
Xenophage: Alien Bloodsport
Tyrian (Ported to pretty much everything under the sun)
Tyrian 2000
God of Thunder
SkyRoads
Jetpack
Kiloblaster
One Must Fall 2097
Overkill
Stargunner
Xargon

There, that's far from definitive but it ought to keep you busy for an afternoon...

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I played the Shareware campaign of One Must Fall over and over, was really fun. That game was probably one of the closest attempts to a good PC fighting game at the time.

Helps that the music owned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdVnKYcYi3g

Also worth noting is that One Must Fall actually developed a legitimate modding community that created a bunch of awesome custom tournaments over the years. Here is a good place to start.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I got hugely into shareware in like uh I dunno, when was the heyday of Software Labs catalogs? 1992-1993? I must have ordered 50 disks in the span of a few months with my allowance before I figured out that these games were, in fact, not full games, and I was so confused by the very concept of paying for shareware (appropriately so).

So then my shame of not understanding what shareware was led to the shame of turning my back on shareware forever and missing out on what was apparently the standard teenager-in-late-1990s experience of random crappy shareware games and web-based Flash games.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

If it weren't for my 1001 DOS Games CDs, I would have never discovered stuff like Dangerous Dave, Jetpack, or Castle of the Winds

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Castle of the Winds seems like the #1 thing I definitely would have been head-over-heels in love with if I had known it existed before like 2015.

Popcorn, though, man, Popcorn was good

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Castle of the Winds seems like the #1 thing I definitely would have been head-over-heels in love with if I had known it existed before like 2015.

Speaking as someone who played it years before finding out "roguelike" was a genre of games, yeah I thought it was pretty incredible back then, and it still holds up well enough for me. I play it on occasion.

Another game I enjoyed playing off a shareware CD back in those days: Sorcerer's Cave. It's actually a computer version of a board game, plays kinda like a roguelike but doesn't have traditional RPG combat. It's interesting. I like it, but I don't know if it's for everyone.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol was another pretty good shareware roguelike (sorta).

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

American McGay posted:

When I was a kid our main PC was a Packard Bell Windows 3.1 machine into the year 2000 which means I could only dream about playing games that required Windows 95/98. I lived off the Gravis Game Pad demo CD and any PC Gamer demo discs I could get my hands on.

Jazz Jackrabbit, Hocus Pocus, Raptor: Call of the Shadows, Epic Pinball, One Must Fall: 2097 etc. Huge nostalgia for that era of stuff.

Did you get a bunch of random games and a desktop replacer with your Packard Bell too? I got it with one that had Win 95.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol was another pretty good shareware roguelike (sorta).
Still fun. Dungeon was fixed, though, and there was a lot of grinding to do.

You can still get it now, from the dev or gamersgate I think, but you'll need a VM or something to run it.

The 3D sequel just wasn't the same, and put some harsh restrictions on class switching so you needed to plan rather than just levelling your whatever you wanted. Dungeon was a bit more interesting, crappy sound clips like "we wish to join" were the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

rujasu posted:

Speaking as someone who played it years before finding out "roguelike" was a genre of games, yeah I thought it was pretty incredible back then, and it still holds up well enough for me. I play it on occasion.
I played the second far more than the first. Always be checking the shops for potions of stat growth, kill all giants for the goody bags, and there ain't no such thing as a large enchanted bag of holding.