Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Wylie Buzza has been delisted and Geelong are awful for not keeping him for his name alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

rip Narkle2Buzza

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Solemn Sloth posted:

I was kind of expecting brad hill to reveal his coke habit immediately after the trade cleared ala Carlisle tbh

Give him a month or two, he’ll be back in the headlines for the wrong reasons

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

thepokey posted:

Wylie Buzza has been delisted and Geelong are awful for not keeping him for his name alone.
He was usurped by GRYAN.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

"We can only keep one player with weird hair and a weird name on our list."

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Apparently Tayla Harris is now the Australian Female Middleweight Champ.

EDIT: In boxing.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
https://twitter.com/aarongocs/status/1185738265661333504?s=21

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Aflw draft tomorrow.

Still no start date for preseason, supposed to be within 3-4 weeks but nobody knows?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Don't put vanilla essence in apple juice it makes it foul.
Save it for your coke/pepsi/RC cola.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

drunkill posted:

Aflw draft tomorrow.

Still no start date for preseason, supposed to be within 3-4 weeks but nobody knows?

Can anyone explain the draft to me? Why do teams like the dogs who have been around for a few years get pick 1 whilst brand new teams like the Saints get pick 5 and thats all in the first round. I DUN GET IT.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

A peek into a different universe. A better universe.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

boy undead posted:

A peek into a different universe. A better universe.

I choose to believe.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Nutsngum posted:

Can anyone explain the draft to me? Why do teams like the dogs who have been around for a few years get pick 1 whilst brand new teams like the Saints get pick 5 and thats all in the first round. I DUN GET IT.

Oh geez, the AFLW draft is a bit of a dog's breakfast. The short answer is that it's the AFL just allocating picks as they see fit to the new clubs, in order to try to make things equitable. Because, of course, the AFL is so good at predicting which clubs are going to be any good (such as predicting that Brisbane and Crows would finish bottom two in the first season, rather than grand finallists).

In the specific case of Bulldogs having pick 1, that was because of a trade. One of the new clubs in Richmond had pick 1, but traded it to the Bulldogs for Monique Conti. Same with Carlton having pick 2 despite playing in the grand final this year, they received it from Collingwood as part of a trade for Brianna Davey (also receiving pick 26 and upgrading some later picks).

The original pick order prior to trades is much more nebulous. When the four new teams came in, they were given the ability to sign up to twelve players from the existing clubs, with various rules set on how many players a single club could lose, and so forth. However, the clubs were not obligated to sign twelve players (only West Coast did). Instead, the AFL agreed to allocate them a priority pick for each player short of twelve they were, plus one extra priority pick. However, exactly where those priority picks would lie in the draft order was not defined in advance. Literally, the AFL just looked at what each of the new clubs had managed to sign up and then decided what priority picks they would get.

Richmond only managed to sign up six players from other clubs in the original signing period, so they were given seven priority picks including the top pick (1, 7, 25, 31, 43, 58, 73). St. Kilda was given four priority picks (5, 9, 27, 33), Gold Coast two (22, 42), and West Coast just one (19). Then they are also just given ladder positions to assign them their "normal" picks. Again, there is no real system as to how this has been done, other than what the AFL thinks is "fair". For instance, St Kilda has been placed between GWS and North Melbourne on the ladder, so their picks come between those two clubs. Why? No good reason. Just the AFL gut-feeling it and working out what they think is equitable.

A similar thing happened last year with Geelong and North Melbourne entering the comp. North had cultivated a bunch of players for a while and also targeted a number of highly rated players from other clubs, so they were given practically nothing in the draft, placed right at the top of the ladder (even above the premiers) and receiving no priority picks, just their one selection at the end of each round. Geelong, meanwhile, had struggled to attract many existing players, and so they were given a bunch of top-end priority draft picks (1, 2, 14, 15) as well as being placed in the middle of each round. There was no scientific or formulaic reason for any of this, just what the AFL thought "felt right".

One extra wrinkle in all of this is that the draft is still state-based, so players nominate for a single state. In the case of the Crows, for example, they are the only team with access to the SA talent, and they are not able to recruit from outside of SA, so draft order is literally meaningless for them. For that matter, so are pick trades. For example, they traded Jess Allen to GWS for pick 46, but that pick is literally worthless to them. Same thing goes for GWS, they're the only ones in their state. Gold Coast are competing only with Brisbane, so the only question that matters is whether their selections come before or after Brisbane's. Same with West Coast and Fremantle. Whereas the Victorian teams are obviously all competing with each other. As you can imagine, this just makes things more confusing when it comes to the AFL trying to "equalise" things.

Edit: Also, St Kilda initially had three picks in the first round, but they traded two of them away for Emma Mackie and Kate McCarthy (plus some late picks) .

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 21, 2019

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

cmndstab posted:

Oh geez, the AFLW draft is a bit of a dog's breakfast.

Thanks for that. Jeez its a bit of a mess.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Big boy mcevoy joins carlton with pick 2

https://twitter.com/carltonfc_w/status/1186438901050695682?s=19

Gabby newton goes to the dogs with pick 1, vic pick 3 for Patrikos to the saints.

https://twitter.com/aflwomens/status/1186444243415388160?s=19

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Not that I have any idea, but I hear that Patrikios is considered a slider, was though of as a top 3 pick. Will be interesting to see how she goes!

38 year old Courtney Gum comes out of retirement and is selected by the Crows, which had been mooted pre-draft. Interesting! And as a bonus, I'm no longer older than every current Crows player :) (Okay, to be fair, Jess Foley is older than me too. I feel so young!)

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 22, 2019

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
One of Melbourne's selections is called Krstel.

Seriously. Krstel.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

cmndstab posted:

One of Melbourne's selections is called Krstel.

Seriously. Krstel.

Gryan

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Buzza

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Jrrd can't be far off yet.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Giving your kid a name with no vowels should automatically get you on a DSS watchlist

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

Giving your kid a name with no vowels should automatically get you on a DSS watchlist

Wow I expect this kind of anti-welsh poo poo in England but not in Australia

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Those sheep fuckers were asking for it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

My local club had its first ever AFL/AFLW draftee in Caitlin Gould

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I was hoping that the Bulldogs would get Sophie Molan since she was in our NGA but we had the chance to take her at 6 and passed over her so it's not like we had no way to get her.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Pretty sure the Welsh don't exist, especially the ones from that supposed New South one.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Melbournes first pick was 54 :shrug:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

'w' and 'y' are vowels <:mad:>

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I seriously don't get Irish orthography though.

Saoirse, really?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

My local club had its first ever AFL/AFLW draftee in Caitlin Gould

Awesome :) Know anything about her as a player?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
:lol:

https://twitter.com/CrowsAFLW/status/1186528480315334657

In other news, Richmond's AFLW recruiting manager Lauren Tesoriero selected herself with their final pick today, hahaha.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

Saoirse, really?

I guess the fact I'm Irish I never even really think twice about what might be considered a strange name .... on the flip side Krstel looks like a legit spelling mistake on the birth certificate

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I actually dig Gaelic names but when I read a new one that I haven't heard out loud I always get it wrong.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sioban = She vaughn?

Yeah, nah.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

if you think about it, the bh in "Siobhan" is to v as ph is to f so that part actually makes sense.

well maybe not the orrrn bit.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

Saoirse, really?

How is that supposed to be pronounced? Sauce?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

How is that supposed to be pronounced? Sauce?
Rhymes with "inertia" apparently. I thought it was Sour-reece for too long because I read the 'i' after the 'r'.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
I've always heard it pronunced as Ser-sha

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I’ve known people that have pronounced it ser-sha and some seer-sha, so I guess it’s sort of like how some people say meg-an, and some mee-gan, for the same name. I thought it was a more common Irish name unlike something like Caoimhe which I don’t think I’ve come across any in Australia.

Also with Richmond selecting their own recruiting manager (lol) how did it work, did she call her own name out? Or did she just say “we choose me”?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thepokey posted:

I’ve known people that have pronounced it ser-sha and some seer-sha, so I guess it’s sort of like how some people say meg-an, and some mee-gan, for the same name. I thought it was a more common Irish name unlike something like Caoimhe which I don’t think I’ve come across any in Australia.

Also with Richmond selecting their own recruiting manager (lol) how did it work, did she call her own name out? Or did she just say “we choose me”?

I volunteer as tribute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Bulldogs have delisted Premiership fullback Fletcher Roberts & Lukas Webb; it's a shame with Webb as he has talent but he never really progressed on his first two years and couldn't find a position. He probably would have been delisted last year if not for his fractured neck. Fletch was just in that position where he wasn't strong enough to wrestle or athletic enough to intercept, he's a clever footballer and could cut angles but there wasn't really a role for him. Can't fault his endeavour and he played well in the two most important games of his career so he'll never have to pay for a beer in a Footscray pub.