Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

No Safe Word posted:

But nobody reads the results that way. Nobody says "sure it was 54% no, but our polling shows that 20% of that was people opposed to the formulation of this legislation as a constitutional amendment". And thus, it doesn't affect any change in the process. All it does is make something you would like to have happened through other channels not happen at all.

Please tell me more about how people should shut up and vote for things they don't believe in because you just read about realpolitik for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Please tell me more about how people should shut up and vote for things they don't believe in because you just read about realpolitik for the first time.

Please tell me more about how the legislature should do a bond initiative without a constitutional amendment.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

i say swears online posted:

someone running for city council is 81 years old and calls pflugerville "apartmentville"

with derision dripping from every pore, I'm sure

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Keeshhound posted:

But what do you not believe in? Like - I get it if you're ultra-conservative and oppose the issuance of government debt as a principle, but if you don't - what is it that you don't believe in w/r/t to the bond authorization election?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sab0921 posted:

But what do you not believe in? Like - I get it if you're ultra-conservative and oppose the issuance of government debt as a principle, but if you don't - what is it that you don't believe in w/r/t to the bond authorization election?

I don't think I said anything to that effect? I specifically haven't said a drat thing about what *I* believe, or even what I'm going to vote.

My position has been "if someone believes (for whatever reason) that a proposition should not be added to the Constitution, then they should vote "no" on that proposition. They shouldn't abstain, and they shouldn't contort themselves through whatever bullshit realpolitik reasoning so that someone else can congratulate them for voting "correctly."

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

I'm saying pick the fights that will result in things actually changing. Abstaining or voting against constitutional amendments because you think the current way things are done (via such amendments) will not get your point across that you think they're bad. It just results in those amendments not happening, which has other impacts.

Like, I think the Electoral College is bad and stupid but I'm not going to not vote for President because of that.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

I don't think I said anything to that effect? I specifically haven't said a drat thing about what *I* believe, or even what I'm going to vote.

My position has been "if someone believes (for whatever reason) that a proposition should not be added to the Constitution, then they should vote "no" on that proposition. They shouldn't abstain, and they shouldn't contort themselves through whatever bullshit realpolitik reasoning so that someone else can congratulate them for voting "correctly."

You get that these are all constitutional amendments because the Texas constitution doesn't allow the legislature to pass them as laws, right? This is the only way to make these things happen in the state of Texas. Refusing to fund education or flood prevention infrastructure improvements because you think the Texas constitution is bad is certainly..a take..but how can you be surprised people are calling you out because it's a loving awful one.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

M. Night Skymall posted:

You get that these are all constitutional amendments because the Texas constitution doesn't allow the legislature to pass them as laws, right? This is the only way to make these things happen in the state of Texas. Refusing to fund education or flood prevention infrastructure improvements because you think the Texas constitution is bad is certainly..a take..but how can you be surprised people are calling you out because it's a loving awful one.

Read the post you quoted again.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Keeshhound posted:

Read the post you quoted again.

you're just applying some weird originalist reading of federal constitution to the Texas constitution, despite there being language in the Texas constitution on why this is a necessary process. This is a stupid hill to die on and you're inherently excluding the entire position of "agrees with proposed legislation and opposes constitutional amendments" from having any voice.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Hawkline posted:

you're just applying some weird originalist reading of federal constitution to the Texas constitution, despite there being language in the Texas constitution on why this is a necessary process. This is a stupid hill to die on and you're inherently excluding the entire position of "agrees with proposed legislation and opposes constitutional amendments" from having any voice.

No, I'm really not. I don't know how this is so loving hard for you to grasp, but I'll type it out for you again:

If you believe that a proposition should not be on the Constitution, vote "no" on it.

That's it. That is all I've been arguing for.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

This is all dumb, so in other news Bonnen is hawking for Prop 4

https://twitter.com/RepDennisBonnen/status/1186346481202159620

Was already going to vote against it anyway because it's stupid

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes do vote against that one

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Voting no on every bond issue because they didn't use what you see as the correct avenue that they literally can't use is a pretty galaxy brained neoliberal move. Especially in terms of how it works out to only serve the interests of the chuds. Voting no isn't sending any kind of message against the process at all, because it is an expected action of the process.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

No, I'm really not. I don't know how this is so loving hard for you to grasp, but I'll type it out for you again:

If you believe that a proposition should not be on the Constitution, vote "no" on it.

That's it. That is all I've been arguing for.

I think we do all understand it, it’s just that this is a very stupid thing to believe

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They did use the correct avenue, the only difference that instead of these just being laws, there's an extra final step. They all went through the normal legislative process.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Badger of Basra posted:

I think we do all understand it, it’s just that this is a very stupid thing to believe

Ok, don't tell me, tell saintonan. Or do you actually mean that you think it's stupid to vote for what you believe is correct?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Ok, don't tell me, tell saintonan. Or do you actually mean that you think it's stupid to vote for what you believe is correct?

Your belief about what is correct is the stupid thing

Oh I got confused about why you are being so forceful about this dumb thing you apparently don’t even believe

Saintonan this is stupid

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Badger of Basra posted:

Your belief about what is correct is the stupid thing

Oh I got confused about why you are being so forceful about this dumb thing you apparently don’t even believe

What I believe is that trying to demand someone else modulate their voting behavior ("just abstain" or "vote this way because it's how things are done!") to be amenable to your preferences instead of actually convincing them as to the correctness of your position is authoritarian bullshit.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Keeshhound posted:

What I believe is that trying to demand someone else modulate their voting behavior ("just abstain" or "vote this way because it's how things are done!") to be amenable to your preferences instead of actually convincing them as to the correctness of your position is authoritarian bullshit.

None of this is about the underlying policy or what's being voted on, it's about the underlying structure of the government of the State of Texas. It's like refusing to vote for US Congress or Senate because you think we need parliamentary system - which is also a stupid position to have.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sab0921 posted:

None of this is about the underlying policy or what's being voted on, it's about the underlying structure of the government of the State of Texas. It's like refusing to vote for US Congress or Senate because you think we need parliamentary system - which is also a stupid position to have.

Is this supposed to be some kind of weird rear end way to accuse me of being a sock puppet, or do you genuinely not get that I don't have to agree with saintonan's position to believe that they have the right to vote based on it regardless?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this discussion is literally me at 17 being mad at Boys' State for not choosing me for my essay "i reject corrupt politics"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/James_Barragan/status/1186387301078896640

I don't know who Rep Stucky is but given that it's Denton and he appears to be an old white dude I'm guessing he's pretty securely Republican, and he's coming out against Bonnen for speaker

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's Republican #15. I assume all the D's oppose him unless he needs them so bad he gives them everything.

jurassic
Sep 20, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

Please vote for Prop 2 and 8. Prop 2 is $200MM of bond authorization for the TWDB - a vote is required before bonds are issued and authorized and, imo, the TWDB is the most important agency in the state right now and are charged with building the infrastructure necessary for the future of the state including flood resiliency and drinking water.

Prop 8 allows for the creation of a Flood Infrastructure Fund, which will be a revolving fund that allows for the construction of extremely necessary flood infrastructure. Approving it will allow the state to have the local matching dollars needed for federal money and can seriously accelerate the process for these projects.

Please vote in favor of Prop 2 and Prop 8.

I think I am voting for the majority of them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

polling station overloaded with people, cars backed up into the street

good sign, but i noped out and will try again tomorrow

vv pretty much my reasoning

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 21, 2019

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Is there a reason to vote yes on prop 9? It's just a subsidy to the private company that runs the depository as far as I can tell. Also gold bugs are awful so annoying them is reason enough to vote no.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

ut755ln posted:

I think I am voting for the majority of them.

I'm definitely voting yes on proposition 5, and then will follow up with an argument that video games and video game accessories are actually "sporting goods" now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

god imagine if texas instituted a Steam tax to fund the state parks

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Tax the loving loot crates you cowards.

Bonnen and co (Patrick) are going after anyone who didnt support the end of "tax payer funded lobbying" which basically means rural counties no longer get a say in the state Capitol, in addition to everyone else. That's why there was such a weird coalition against it. It was even more unpopular but some Republicans had good Bills they needed to get thru the senate still. Stucky is one of the reps that cut up Denton iirc. He is a doctor but pro life so he falls weird on a bunch of issues. If those 15 keep their seats Bonnen might have some serious trouble come next Decemberish

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Stucky is an animal doctor, veterinarian. Well liked with the local Republicans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/SarahforHD134/status/1186483127360917504

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1186472267640913920?s=19

A good tweet.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I haven't followed local politics like I should have been lately - is there any downside to Bonnen getting hosed? I remember Strauss being a decent moderating influence as Republicans go. Hadn't gotten the impression that Bonnen was the same but I don't know who replaces him.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
whats the current speaker of the house speed run record?

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I haven't followed local politics like I should have been lately - is there any downside to Bonnen getting hosed? I remember Strauss being a decent moderating influence as Republicans go. Hadn't gotten the impression that Bonnen was the same but I don't know who replaces him.

He wasn't Straus moderate, but he really sold himself as the Speaker that would bring peace and harmony to TXLege after a divisive 85th, and as a moderate compared to Tea Party options. He was pretty well-liked during session, and the narrative was that he would get practical laws passed that were less ideology-focused. Folks were pretty optimistic about him, and for awhile Dems stated they really liked him too.

The downsides probably depend on which side you support, but after the 85th a lot of folks were pretty drat frustrated with the climate there and were hopeful about Bonnen. This tape burned all of the goodwill he earned over session. If you're hoping for a blue wave to lead to a Dem speaker, this helps. If the Republicans retain power, they could easily elect a speaker worse than him....more Tea Party, more ideological...the fears a lot of folks had after Straus left.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Bonnen has committed political seppuku and will not seek re election.

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/1186624159859859458?s=19

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh man

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1186625651459145728

oof

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 22, 2019

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Empower Texans couped the speaker successfully. Incredible.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I haven't been watching texas closely so I was surprised voting started today. I am on colincountytx trying to see what the issues to be voted on are and as expected the information available is garbage. Is there a better place to get informed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TropicalCoke posted:

Empower Texans couped the speaker successfully. Incredible.

And for what